It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First Trip planning  (Read 10166 times)

drsecu

First Trip planning
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:47 AM »
I'm heading to Kiev in September 2 weeks.  It has worked out the main girl I have connected with lives in Russia and her hometown is near Kiev, and she want to meet me there.  It is obvious from communication that I am not to be left alone.  I am not sure if this is because of custom or she is afraid I will meet someone else?  I am booking a flight and then will book hers so she can get there ahead and get me a sim card and great at airport.  I understand the situation, if she was coming here I would not want her meeting others.

This leaves me the choice if I want to keep options open I should layover on the way there or back.  The cheapest flights are via Turkish Air, and they connect in Istanbul. I can lay over in Istanbul for a few days and flight is actually slightly cheaper.  Munich slightly more with another airline.  Amsterdam, Budapest, Belgrade if I recall all only $150 or so more although I would have to keep connecting in Instanbul wasting my time.  Any opinions on this?  I hate to go this far for weeks and only stay in one country.

She suggested an apartment in city center in Kiev for $15-17 per day (on a ukraine craigslist type site over the really cool modern apartment I wanted for $50, she has planned Chernobyl tour and 3 day trip to Lviv.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: First Trip planning
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »
I am troubled with your situation. It sounds like this girl want a short vacation, planning out an itinerary for you. For a Russian girl to want to go to Ukraine is strange( not sure if she really grew up near Kiev). Think about it, you may be stuck with this girl for 2 weeks......and if doesn't work you send her home early???

Is it too much trouble for you to visit her city? Visa a problem? Sounds as if this girl is in control.

Those layovers in Istanbul suck!!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

drsecu

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »
I am troubled with your situation. It sounds like this girl want a short vacation, planning out an itinerary for you. For a Russian girl to want to go to Ukraine is strange( not sure if she really grew up near Kiev). Think about it, you may be stuck with this girl for 2 weeks......and if doesn't work you send her home early???

Is it too much trouble for you to visit her city? Visa a problem? Sounds as if this girl is in control.

She is a Ukraine girl that lives in Russia (better paying job). We are friends on social media, and I see from pictures and friends and family that everything appears to check out.  She has to work new job for 6 months before she can take vacation, so when I mentioned a going to Prague and Kiev in July she asked me to wait until September.  She is paying her way to Kiev.  If things went downhill (hard to imagine since we talk frequently) she would just stay with her Mom near Kiev or her old roommate in Kiev I would imagine.

Does Istanbul itself suck?  I am shopping for airfare.  I can fly from my state for $750 (which requires a USA layover first), drive another 2 hours to Washington DC for $660 (and just one connection), or Budapest/amsterdam/belgrade for another $150 or so.  I would stay in either of the cities for 2-3 days.

Offline LAman

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 07:52:33 AM »
She is a Ukraine girl that lives in Russia (better paying job). We are friends on social media, and I see from pictures and friends and family that everything appears to check out.  She has to work new job for 6 months before she can take vacation, so when I mentioned a going to Prague and Kiev in July she asked me to wait until September.  She is paying her way to Kiev.  If things went downhill (hard to imagine since we talk frequently) she would just stay with her Mom near Kiev or her old roommate in Kiev I would imagine.

Does Istanbul itself suck?  I am shopping for airfare.  I can fly from my state for $750 (which requires a USA layover first), drive another 2 hours to Washington DC for $660 (and just one connection), or Budapest/amsterdam/belgrade for another $150 or so.  I would stay in either of the cities for 2-3 days.

Why are you booking this girl's flight if she is paying her way? Is she somehow sending you money?

Istanbul doesn't suck but for a couple days I wonder if worth it unless you have a guide or read extensively on Istanbul forum on trip advisor for info on what to do and how to's. You do need visa for Turkey, granted at airport or online.

Offline LAman

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:05:33 AM »

Are you leaving from Durham? If so, why not Austrian and spend a few days in Vienna? A $100 more than Turkish. Also, can use if going from Washington DC

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 08:09:27 AM »

Does Istanbul itself suck?

Istanbul is defo NOT a 'suck' city ....    If you fly via Turkish and your connecting flight is more than 6 hours, but less than 24 hours you should take the free tour - you will NOT regret it

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/corporate/announcements/announcement/free-tours-of-istanbul-for-turkish-airlines-transfer-passengers

Turkish allow 30 Kg hold luggage and 10kg hand luggage on economy, have great in-flight entertainment and meals - the downside is that any tablets ( ipad,) and laptops must be given  up prior to boarding and collected - with a receipt - as the US / UK have banned such electronic gadgets. Large smartphones ( Galaxy Notes, Iphone 7 ) are OK

You can get stays in airport hotels in Istanbul for c. 35 USD on booking.com - if you dare book last minute .... be sure they offer free shuttle buses - or you'll have to take into account taxi fares

Offline LAman

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »
Istanbul is defo NOT a 'suck' city ....    If you fly via Turkish and your connecting flight is more than 6 hours, but less than 24 hours you should take the free tour - you will NOT regret it

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/corporate/announcements/announcement/free-tours-of-istanbul-for-turkish-airlines-transfer-passengers

Turkish allow 30 Kg hold luggage and 10kg hand luggage on economy, have great in-flight entertainment and meals - the downside is that any tablets ( ipad,) and laptops must be given  up prior to boarding and collected - with a receipt - as the US / UK have banned such electronic gadgets. Large smartphones ( Galaxy Notes, Iphone 7 ) are OK

You can get stays in airport hotels in Istanbul for c. 35 USD on booking.com - if you dare book last minute .... be sure they offer free shuttle buses - or you'll have to take into account taxi fares

Msmob, the free tours are designated times, most don't coincide with layovers, you don't go when you want.
Free tours are what you pay for....... just to kill time, better than stuck in airport, although the some lounges are quite nice.

Turkish has 2 bags check-in luggage and I thought limit was 23kg, Msmob? I agree with on board amenities.

BTW- this is a better link for free tours:
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/what-is-touristanbul

« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 08:30:01 AM by LAman »

Offline msmob

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »
Msmob, the free tours are designated times, most don't coincide with layovers, you don't go when you want.
Free tours are what you pay for....... just to kill time, better than stuck in airport, although the some lounges are quite nice.

Can't agree - I have done Istanbul tours that were paid for and free - with Turkish Airlines - the free tour was good.

Turkish has 2 bags check-in luggage and I thought limit was 23kg, Msmob? I agree with on board amenities.

We were both wrong !... 2 x 23kg = 46Kg on transatlantic transits - I just tried to book from JFK-KBP.. on a London-KBP London-Sochi - it is 'only' 30Kg - but one can still use two bags

BTW- this is a better link for free tours:
http://www.istanbulinhours.com/what-is-touristanbul

Thanks, yes it is better

I have recommended friends booking with TR airlines to try to get the timings right and they were able to just pitch up and get on tours
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:19:51 PM by msmob »

drsecu

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
Are you leaving from Durham? If so, why not Austrian and spend a few days in Vienna? A $100 more than Turkish. Also, can use if going from Washington DC

I will check again, there is no easy way to fare shop multi destination trips.  DC to Istanbul is 11pm to 4:15pm and last tour is leaving at 4pm.  typical 12-20 hour layovers in Istanbul because of this.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:29:03 PM by drsecu »

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 02:27:34 PM »
Maybe it's my bias toward European culture, but I would greatly recommend trip layovers in Amsterdam, Vienna, Munich or Frankfurt over Istanbul. I now live in Lviv. It's wonderful! Don't miss it!

Offline LAman

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 04:03:15 PM »
I will check again, there is no easy way to fare shop multi destination trips.  DC to Istanbul is 11pm to 4:15pm and last tour is leaving at 4pm.  typical 12-20 hour layovers in Istanbul because of this.

Try Trip Advisor, you are able to use multiple destinations. I saw some $700-$750 IAD-Kiev with a 2 day stop in Vienna on return. Just to give you a heads up. Lufthansa and Austrian.

drsecu

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 09:14:19 AM »
All booked.  Going through Durham, it is just easier especially with cheap or free parking.  Will have layover with tour through Istanbul on return.  If I understand travel ban correctly I can bring tablet on the way there, and on the return I will just check it into my bag that goes into cargo.  Will bring cheaper Ipad and leave my nicer stuff at home just in case. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:20 AM »
You can keep your laptop / Tablet with you until just before boarding - well that is how Turkish were handling the regulations for London inbound flights from IST

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »

I've done similar on my last trip & it worked out though admittedly its not the best situation to be in for the guy from a keeping control of the situation point of view. Time over again I would state visiting her city first even if it sin't a touristy place to be since its a hurdle that needs to be crossed anyway so might as well have it up front. Since as drsecu now tells us she is paying for the flight (as on Russian Salary) & her Mother lives in Kiev its not as first sounds. I think though that within reason sometimes not all aspects of FSU dating always fit into a prescribed preference for doing things depending on the lady and the situation. 
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline LAman

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
All booked.  Going through Durham, it is just easier especially with cheap or free parking.  Will have layover with tour through Istanbul on return.  If I understand travel ban correctly I can bring tablet on the way there, and on the return I will just check it into my bag that goes into cargo.  Will bring cheaper Ipad and leave my nicer stuff at home just in case.

Same as msmob says re> UK flights for US flights, you turn in tablet/laptop at boarding gate, much better than putting into check-in bag( which you would need to do in Kiev)which you will not see until arriving back in US.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 06:41:27 PM »
Same as msmob says re> UK flights for US flights, you turn in tablet/laptop at boarding gate...

So what happens then?  As you would appreciate, I haven't travelled through the Middle East so haven't had to worry about letting go of my "life."

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 03:31:16 AM »
I never thought of TR as the 'Middle East' - but if Erdogan has his way you might be right :(

Your pride and joy goes into a special container and you are given a receipt.  You collect it from a dedicated place - with the receipt in the UK - They do not simply go on the carousel with normal sowed baggage

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/03/24/turkish-airlines-electronics-ban/

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 05:41:46 PM »
I never thought of TR as the 'Middle East' - but if Erdogan has his way you might be right :(

I wasn't thinking about Turkey at all.  Many Europe-bound flights from New Zealand and Australia travel via the Persian Gulf states.

Your pride and joy goes into a special container and you are given a receipt.  You collect it from a dedicated place - with the receipt in the UK - They do not simply go on the carousel with normal sowed baggage.

I presume you mean "stowed."  Thanks for the explanation - I certainly would NOT be happy placing such equipment in my checked luggage.

Offline msmob

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 01:27:03 AM »
I wasn't thinking about Turkey at all.  Many Europe-bound flights from New Zealand and Australia travel via the Persian Gulf states.

Well, you should have been - the discussion is about the OP coming from the USA to UA - in this case transiting via Turkish Airlines at IST ;)

I presume you mean "stowed."

Quite - too late to fix - thanks for noting my spelling mistook (red face)!

Thanks for the explanation - I certainly would NOT be happy placing such equipment in my checked luggage.

A pleasure - I still think it may be a ruse to stifle competition from hubs in TR / Middle East that have been doing too well :)

drsecu

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 05:45:12 AM »
I certainly would NOT be happy placing such equipment in my checked luggage.

This is what the Ukrainian girl said also, but I always (and most of my friends) usually put a laptop in checked luggage. because it is inconvenient to carry.  It is never an issue within the USA, and I would think you would have to physically damage the luggage until it collapses in order to damage a laptop. 

drsecu

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 05:53:24 AM »
Maybe it's my bias toward European culture, but I would greatly recommend trip layovers in Amsterdam, Vienna, Munich or Frankfurt over Istanbul. I now live in Lviv. It's wonderful! Don't miss it!

I will probably be in Lviv Sept 11-13 at least.  Recommendations in what to do?  I want to see some castles, I assume there will be trips, or i can rent a car or hire a driver.  I think she said we will take a night train there for 150uah.  I have looked on airbnb (the girl uses olx.ua) but have decided to wait until I am in Ukraine to plan further.  Will book a place in Kiev for first week and then do further planning.  If things do  not work out this will give me more flexibility.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
If you are going to be in Lviv for some time, I recommend hiring a car/driver to take a trip to the fortress at Kamyanets- Podilsky. Lviv is a beautiful city. Lots to do and see.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 05:11:10 PM »
This is what the Ukrainian girl said also, but I always (and most of my friends) usually put a laptop in checked luggage. because it is inconvenient to carry.  It is never an issue within the USA, and I would think you would have to physically damage the luggage until it collapses in order to damage a laptop.

The danger is that the luggage goes 'missing' on route usually at the transfer airport. This is probably more likely if you have a short transfer time of say about an hour or less. It could turn up but there are no guarantees of this. However, the idea of someone giving me a receipt and then it needing to be collected from some area at the other end doesn't exactly instil me with confidence either.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BillyB

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 07:25:09 PM »
I will probably be in Lviv Sept 11-13 at least.  Recommendations in what to do?

There is an amazing, beautiful, historic cemetery there. Wife and MIL took me there. Can't remember the name. It's so popular you'll see numerous tour buses at any given time parked outside.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2017, 05:19:57 AM »
The danger is that the luggage goes 'missing' on route usually at the transfer airport. This is probably more likely if you have a short transfer time of say about an hour or less. It could turn up but there are no guarantees of this. However, the idea of someone giving me a receipt and then it needing to be collected from some area at the other end doesn't exactly instil me with confidence either.

Isn't THAT what happens when you check in luggage ? ..

I'm probably going to regret this - but I often use IST and have v.short  transfers - even being whisked by car from one plane to the next and my checked in luggage arrived

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541382
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 1975
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1964
Total: 1975

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Today at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Today at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Today at 08:06:00 AM

Re: Trippin........... by Trenchcoat
Today at 06:09:50 AM

Re: Trippin........... by ML
Today at 05:21:01 AM

Trippin........... by 2tallbill