It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: An old question revisited - language lessons.  (Read 3500 times)

Offline xiphoid

• I'll keep trying till I get it right...
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
An old question revisited - language lessons.
« on: November 09, 2016, 12:25:08 AM »
I dusted off an old Rosetta Stone Russian Language course and found that a cd was missing. Now I am wondering if there are newer and better choices out there since I bought this one years ago. Pimsleur? Any suggestions please?
Beautiful girls, won't you walk a little slower, when you walk past me? - Robert Goulet

Offline xiphoid

• I'll keep trying till I get it right...
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
Re: An old question revisited - language lessons.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 12:40:13 AM »
P.S. There are some online courses too but they don't seem to begin with grammar.
Beautiful girls, won't you walk a little slower, when you walk past me? - Robert Goulet

Offline CaptB

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 02:41:16 AM »
I think Rosetta Stone is still one of the best. Great for "longterm" assimilation of the language. I think many are turned-off by the fact that you are immediately immersesed into it.....with no translation into english. But in the long run.....I think this may be the best way to learn a new language....from the ground...up. But for someone visiting a foreign country for the first time......a course that allows you to learn practical phrases (for getting around).....may be best initially. Before my first trip to Russia I used a six cassette tape course called....."Learn Russian in your Car". I spend a few hours each day in my car....for my work. I studied the tapes for about 45 minutes to an hour each day. Each Monday I replayed the previous tapes as a review. On Tuesday....I started a new lesson. I studied for about three months before my first visit. I was able to shop, use the bus.....taxis...ask directions. I felt comfortable not always having to rely on an interpreter. My Russian friends appreciated my effort......a side benefit. Of course if you have the time.....both methods (long-term, short-term) used at the same time would be ideal.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »
Now I am wondering if there are newer and better choices out there since I bought this one years ago.

Yeah, I'm a newer and better choice. I'm a native Russian speaker and my English is pretty good. Spent about 7 years in the US and Canada. I usually teach English as a foreign language, but I'm sure it can be the other way around. Why not. I charge US$10 an hr. (60 minutes) when I teach English. I have some experience teaching English on Skype. Send me a private message if you're interested.

Offline JensenHealey907

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 12:36:05 AM »
I dusted off an old Rosetta Stone Russian Language course and found that a cd was missing. Now I am wondering if there are newer and better choices out there since I bought this one years ago. Pimsleur? Any suggestions please?

If you have just lost the CD there is a torrent available where you can download the iso image of your missing CD. PM me and I will send you the link.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 01:07:54 AM »
Would jump at the chance to learn Russian from a native speaker, particularly for as cheap as $10 an hour. Unfortunately though where I am based in the UK no Russian speakers local to me offering lessons. I've got Rosetta Stone but I don't think it's great in the initial stages of learning a language it just jumps straight in. I've got an audio CD that isn't bad. Though best way initially Ive found is just copy some Russian phrases from Google trano late onto memory cards and rehearse. Nothing too complex just useful stuff, there or four words max. Good for starters I want to really do a short course though but nearest one is in next city on from where I am, doable journey but can't make it schedule wise. I've learnt about enough to get by in Russia/Ukraine but sometimes it's hard going as taxi drivers etc can't always understand me. For the woman though I agree with comments others have made when they say it devalues you more than anything if you speak Russian, particularly bad Russian like mine. Girl I met last I used a bit to try to help her out as her English wasn't real good but with hindsight I think I would be better of talking English and just rephrasing in English for her. She would have probably preferred that I think and would have looked better for me I think oddly enough.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 03:13:35 PM »
Would jump at the chance to learn Russian from a native speaker, particularly for as cheap as $10 an hour. Unfortunately though where I am based in the UK no Russian speakers local to me offering lessons. I've got Rosetta Stone but I don't think it's great in the initial stages of learning a language it just jumps straight in. I've got an audio CD that isn't bad. Though best way initially Ive found is just copy some Russian phrases from Google trano late onto memory cards and rehearse. Nothing too complex just useful stuff, there or four words max. Good for starters I want to really do a short course though but nearest one is in next city on from where I am, doable journey but can't make it schedule wise. I've learnt about enough to get by in Russia/Ukraine but sometimes it's hard going as taxi drivers etc can't always understand me. For the woman though I agree with comments others have made when they say it devalues you more than anything if you speak Russian, particularly bad Russian like mine. Girl I met last I used a bit to try to help her out as her English wasn't real good but with hindsight I think I would be better of talking English and just rephrasing in English for her. She would have probably preferred that I think and would have looked better for me I think oddly enough.
If I was living in the UK, I wouldn't be charging ten dollars an hour. It's so cheap, 'cos I live in Russia. When I was teaching English in Israel, I charged about 20 dollars an hour. Like I said, it's possible to use Skype. Though it's not as good as a face to face lesson, but it's definitely worth it when there's no better alternative. Let me know if it sounds interesting to you.

It's highly debatable if it's better to speak Russian or in English to women in Russia or in Ukraine. If she speaks English well enough and she knows that you don't speak Russian, then yes. English is a right choice. But what if her English is not sufficient to carry out even a simple conversation? Also it really depends on how good is your Russian. If it's not good, don't speak it. But if it's good enough, I think it might be a good idea to speak it. Bottom line is that I think it depends on a particular lady you date. One woman might think that even a bad Russian is better than nothing and another one will think the opposite. My personal opinion is that it's not the language that makes or breaks the relationships. Say, if she wants to immigrate to the US, what difference would it make for her whether you speak English or Spanish for as long as you're a holder of an American passport. Attractive women in former USSR always have local dating options. If the language was an issue to her, she would've dated locally.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 03:15:12 PM by papakota »

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 06:34:49 PM »
It's highly debatable if it's better to speak Russian or in English to women in Russia or in Ukraine. If she speaks English well enough and she knows that you don't speak Russian, then yes. English is a right choice. But what if her English is not sufficient to carry out even a simple conversation? Also it really depends on how good is your Russian. If it's not good, don't speak it. But if it's good enough, I think it might be a good idea to speak it. Bottom line is that I think it depends on a particular lady you date. One woman might think that even a bad Russian is better than nothing and another one will think the opposite.

I've told this story before, but it bears repeating here for newer members and lurkers.  Remember that the interpreter (if you have one) and/or any potential girlfriend(s) won't be with you 24 hours a day, and you're going to need to use transport and go shopping in areas where you MAY struggle to find anyone who speaks good English.  I took a short night-school course in Russian before my first trip.  It was nothing too strenuous - a step or two up from "Hello, my name is.." - and our tutor (a Russian woman originally from Yakutsk) liked to refer to this first level as "survival Russian," because she emphasised the really useful bits for getting around when there was no help available.

Obviously what I learnt before I left for the trip was very limited but, without exception, the people that I talked to in Russia were very encouraging (at least to my face  ;D) about the fact that I had at least made an effort to learn some of the language.  They were also very complimentary about my pronunciation, which was certainly a boost to my ego (I might not know very much, but at least it sounded OK).

Bottom line - IN MY OPINION - learn the Cyrillic alphabet (it's not that hard) and some Russian (or Ukrainian) before you leave.  Not so much for when you have company, but more so for when you don't.  Otherwise, let your pre-trip communications with the ladies guide how much effort you should make in learning their language.  ML often makes the point here that they will be moving to an English-speaking country, so why bother?  My answer to that is that there's no certainty that the women you will meet will speak perfect English, and that most (if not all) will give you extra points for at least making the effort.  I'm not suggesting for a moment that you should try to become fluent, because you won't.  But being able to murmur a couple of sweet nothings in reasonable-sounding Russian or Ukrainian should help a bit!  8)

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »
One small remark. Politics aside, but if you learn Russian, you can use it anywhere in former USSR. And if you learn Ukrainian, you will only use it in Ukraine and maybe also in Belarus, that's it. Even an everyday stuff. Like "How much does it cost". 99% of people in Russia won't understand if you tell them in Ukrainian "Skilki tse koshtuye". And 99% of people in Ukraine will understand the Russian "Skolko eto stoit". Of course, with Russian you can go to more exotic places like Moldova and Central Asia. Ukrainian won't help there at all. Ukrainian will help you better in places like Poland and Serbia. The number of Russian speakers stands at about 260M and Ukrainian speakers at about 30M.

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2016, 11:31:41 PM »
Unfortunately though where I am based in the UK no Russian speakers local to me offering lessons.
Although you have mentioned it - I forgot, sorry - but I highly doubt you would find it difficult to find a Russian speaker in your locale.  Most Baltic States folks over 45 will know Russian - fluently. They might not advertise - but if you can find some local Russian speakers - you'll find someone.

If you are interested pm me your town and I'll try to help.

Others .. say it devalues you more than anything if you speak Russian, particularly bad Russian like mine.

)))))))

'Others' ..?!

Trench, there are those on here who think that because any lass is going to end up speaking another language that learning Russian  / Ukrainian is a waste of time!

In my experience I'd say listening to my attempts at speaking the local lingo broke more ice with laughter...

It's an issue of confidence...I don't care if I'm going to make a mistake...I try ..and if she's in to you ..She'll find your awful efforts appealing..

IF you really think it would put a women off - then you are going after the wrong lady.

Offline JayH

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 11:54:45 PM »

Bottom line - IN MY OPINION - learn the Cyrillic alphabet (it's not that hard) and some Russian (or Ukrainian) before you leave.  Not so much for when you have company, but more so for when you don't.  Otherwise, let your pre-trip communications with the ladies guide how much effort you should make in learning their language.  ML often makes the point here that they will be moving to an English-speaking country, so why bother?

I agree that learning the alphabet is THE most useful thing to do.It is also realistically possible.
I also agree with ML  -- but being polite in a foreign country and showing some respect for local language will always be a winner.
With enough exposure I have  learnt to understand a little and enough to get by ( with the aid of state of the art translation app's!)

What I would say to a lot of guys who arrive on forum-- instead of complaining about every cent spent in the adventure-- and wasting your time trying to learn a language in a half hearted way--you would be better off spending your time working on improving your income and lifestyle.
Now--that WILL improve your prospects !

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:58:47 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541382
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2963
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2954
Total: 2964

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Today at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Today at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Today at 08:06:00 AM

Re: Trippin........... by Trenchcoat
Today at 06:09:50 AM

Re: Trippin........... by ML
Today at 05:21:01 AM

Trippin........... by 2tallbill