It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 13th Anniversary.........and a small story  (Read 16593 times)

Offline CaptB

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
13th Anniversary.........and a small story
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 01:04:11 AM »
The third day Vika wanted to show me her city........Stavropol, Russia. Located just north of the Caucus mountains......it lies directly on the 45th parallel........as does Gaylord, Michigan.....my (current) home town. Gaylord has long winters.....with a lot of snow. Stavropol has very, very short winters......December - mid-March. So all of Russia is not "Siberia". Vika's favorite place is the local art & natural history museum. There.....they have two very complete skeletons of the "Southern elephant"......the largest elephant relative to have ever existed. The largest African elephants' tusk may be five feet long......wooly mammoths........not much longer. The Southern elephant's tusk could be 12' -14' long....with a diameter of 10"-14"........a virtual "log" for tusks. It stood almost twice as high as modern elephants. Very impressive! Yes.....it turns out.....both my wife and I are "fossil geeks".

Next we went to a military academy......where Vika's friend from college was the officer in charge. He showed us around.....a very nice guy. He asked if there was anything he could do for me. I said ...."is there a place you know of where I could purchase a (new/used) Russian military "chronometer/watch". He put-up his finger.....as in"just a minute"....and a few minutes later put 3 "boxed" brand-new......."tank corps"......watches in my hand. I was ecstatic! I wanted to give him something in return......but Vika said it is not "necessary". It bothered me. The next day I asked her Mother....if I could give Vika's friend the picture book of the "Upper Peninsula of Michigan"....I had given :Mom" as a gift. I said I would send her another. She immediately understood.....and gave it too me. The next day I took it to him........he was very moved. I apologized for not getting something "better". But he put-up his hand.....and said "no" (his english was pretty good)......"this is a fantastic gift!!!. Spiceba !!!!! Bolshoi !!!! My experience with "all" of my "Russian" friends.....is that they do not bombard you with "political agenda". They really value your "friendship".......first. My wife will tell you that "Russia" has more in common with America.....than in any European country. They have a comedy/variety show that has been running continuously since 1961 (or so). If you/and or your RW spouse subscribe to "TV Tekka"......on Russia channel one......you will be able to get it. Turn-off the sound....you will swear it is a 1960's/1970's "American" TV show. My Russian is not great.....But I watch along with her........and I am very entertained.

My point is this..........for newbies:.....don't fear travel to Russia. Most of the folks will accept you for what....."you are"........not their opinion of American politicians. I touched a nerve with a few folks on this forum with my thread......"Why Ukraine...?" In my time the focus was "Russia".....now many more are going to Ukraine. It was a simple inquiry.....but several implied I "was......ie.....used to be considered a "good guy" on the forum.....but now (after 19 years on RW/UW forums)......I had "finally" showed........my "true colors". The Ukraine is having very tough times......but (my experience) Russians (non-politicians).....are very sympathetic to the plight of their "brothers" (my wife's words).......in Ukraine. On the topic of "the taking over of crimea).......my wife has this to say: until the late 1950's.....the "Crimea region....was a part of Russia. In the late 1950's....Kruschev......who was "Ukrainian".......gave the Crimean region.......over to Ukraine. During its history from the late 1950's......
Crimea" remained over 80% ethnic Russian. It is as with the American native (indian).......where do you want to "stop' history. 500 years ago.....300 years ago.......100 years ago. Most (educated) Americans agree......native American got "screwed".....in every deal ever made......with the "US government". I agree. Even with non-politicians......solutions are almost impossible for anyone to agree upon......because "someone".......will be hurt. The American settlers who were promised land....and invested "decades" of hard work to build their farms.....to the native Americans......who had "NO" concept of farming......or on a more basic level.......ownership of land. For those who said I lacked "sensitivity" of current issues.....regarding "Ukraine"......I will say.....you are completely wrong. The history of Russia....Ukraine....and all the other FSU satellite countries.......is very complicated. There will never be a "cut and dried" solution. Only compromise.......compromise........and some very wise people......will ever find a solution to this conflict. I am not one of these. Like most.......I can only of empathy. Please forgive my digression........it is only "my" story. I hope that others will keep the politics to a minimum.....in replying to this thread. Some of the replies to one of my other ("Why Ukraine") threads........just got to me this evening. Please accept my apology......for "venting"......on this particular thread.

Thank you for understanding.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 02:05:35 AM »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline CaptB

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 03:55:57 AM »
The next day we went to Nivinemoisk (sp)........to visit Vika's classmates from her university days.....Alec......and his wife and two teenaged kids. We had a great dinner that nite. Several other guests showed up. Later......Alec took me to his "computer room". I am not a computer "geek"........but he showed me many things to increase my "computer" knowledge.......that evening. He played dozen of his favorite Russian songs/artist......I liked his choice in music......I like a loy of Russian contemporary music. Alec and I finally tired about 4am.......and crashed. About about 9am....we had breakfast. An hour later.......we went on an excursion......to see the local sights. They new I was (a not too serious).....coin collector. When I was in Tver, Russia......my girlfriend (at the time).....to me to the open market on the weekend. I came across a very personable world war II vet....with a leg missing. My girlfriend......explained that I was looking for some Russian coins. In front of him lay a piece of old carpet......about 2' x 3'.....on which were many coins.....and military service medals. I searched through them.....none particularly "unique". I think he sensed this. He put up his finger...vertically......in the universal "wait a moment".......posture........and reached into his inner jacket pocket......and produced the "good stuff". He handed me the book/holder......and as I leafed through it........a wave of recognition came over me. For 2 1/2 years I had been looking for an original 1921 silver rubble in A/U (almost uncirculated) condition....or better. If I could even find one.....it would cost $250 - $450 US. I found a beautiful example of the type
......in his folder. I asked...."Skulks.....etas.....duit"....................he replied (in rubbles).......about $20 US. I found six or seven other "fantastic" coins. I gave him his full asking price of $52 US.........for coins valued at about $650 US. My interpreter said "give him the full price"......do not embarrass him....by telling hime their value in US dollars. All were happy with the deal......but I would have gladly paid there "full US" value. They are beautiful coins......I will not part with any. The memories are worth much more than any monetary value. My seller was a very happy man. And because he was very satisfied........I was also.......

I bring-up the "coin" story......because I had a small one also in Nivinemoisk. There was a small "coin shop"....in this city. Vika knew I liked Russian coins. We went to this shop one day. They had some interesting coins.... to add to my collection. I bought a few....totaling maybe $17 US. The lady was so thrilled that an "American" was interested in collecting "Russian" coins........she was compelled to give me three coins (2 copper, one silver).......for free. One was a 1967 commemorative coin celebrating "lenin". When I "fantastic coin".......they are not necessarily "valuable"........but maybe historically significant. If you are of my generation (I was born 1951).......you will be completely aware of the entire "cold war" period between the US and Russia. Thew soviet regime lasted only about 70 years. A "drop" in the bucket of Russian history. But to my generation.....extremely significant. Go to E-bay.....look-up "1922 silver ruble". You can find a nice example for maybe $50 US.
Solis silver....hammer & sickle with sunrise on one side.......farmer & factory worker.....on the other side. A really beautiful coin......so "Soviet"........so......of the times.
We must always remember the "bad"................along........with the good. I did not mean to get political.......in adding to my story......this evening.......but the bad....along with the good......is just part of the big picture..........such is life. All those coins are "memories".........I will never part with any.

For those going to Russia to meet RW........the Russian people are warm and welcoming. I feel safer in Moscow.....with a population of over 13 million people.....than I do in "Ann Arbor Michigan USA....population 100,000 or so. Choose a nice, happy, open-minded RW......a genuinely "nice" person"........with friends who adore her.....an relatives.......who only wish for her happiness.......and a good life.......and surrounding her.........will be the nicest people you will ever meet. And yes.....this would apple to Ukraine......and other FSU/w's.......also. And yes.......even AW's (American women).......or any nationality of "W's". If you choose wisely......in "her" country..........you will find friendship. Russia is very....very.....safe. Your Russian friends will be very protective......of you. You can take that to the ......"bank".

Sorry for any political "color".....in my posting tonite. Being married to a RW for +13 years.......I get a little defensive of Russia at times. Politicians are one thing (we all....in all countries are at the mercy of them)........but I take exception when someone says "the evil Russians & poor Ukraine"......in the same sentence. History is complicated........for everyone. We are all the perpetrators  (not standing up to our politicians....and our government)......and the victims (basically impotent against the whims of politicians)......in "any/and most" countries. Short of a revolution......we are all at the mercy.....of a few...........

Again. Please accept my apologies. In the future I will stick to "my" (and my "wife's) story. Some earlier comments about my "true nature".....after 19 years of posting on FSU/W forums.......got to me.......a little bit tonite. After 19 years of most folks considering you....."level headed" in your postings and "i.e." advice.........and then some folks branding you 'insensitive" (to the Ukraine situation)........was a little hurtful. My experience is only with "Russians". They are wonderful people.......and really sympathize/emphathize with "their brothers (my wife and her friends, relatives & coworkers phrase) plight........in Ukraine. For those that believe otherwise....I do not have a response. I can only speak from experience. The Russian people are not divided from........Ukraine. They are brothers in a very long history.....they're words.......not mine.

It is funny how you can interact with folks on a forum such as this......in some cases for many years......and never really know them. On the old RWG.......I actually got to......not only get to know guys there.....but actually meet with about a half-dozen members....or so. One of them............"jb".......known as a "tyrant"....by many........became a close friend. For the "old-timers"......"jb".....was the quintessential......"rabble rouser". He hated "idiots" (who doesn't)......and had little patience for "morons". I always laughed at his tirades and responses......to the morons..........because. Because I knew him very well. Every Friday nite for 2 - 3+ hours.....over a two year period......we got to know each other very well. Jb worked for Halliburton Corps for 30 + years. About 4 times a year......for over 20 years......he made trips to Russia.......to train "GAZPROM" employees in all technical aspects of petroleum & natural gas production. Jb was ex-military......and a Halliburton engineer. I was a newspaper/periodical distributor......with "almost......a degree in Social Anthropology. Despite our different back-grounds.......we became fast friends. Jb was educated, "a Texan" :-).......and very astute in the ways of RW.......as applies to "others"........but not......"himself". The love of his wife......."I".........he had known for over 20 years. He was married/ she was not. She was married he was not. And so on.....over 20 + years. He finally decided to correspond with several (I think 3....RW). "I" .....whom he had known for over 20 years.......was a friend.......who volunteered to be his interpreter.....for phone calls.....letters......and eventually......face-to-face meetings. JB met with the three ladies....with "I" as the interpreter". After the meetings......"I".....confronted JB.......and said (to paraphrase)....."you meet these strangers".........and what is wrong with "I"........something in Russian like......"chopped liver". "I" is a "Moscovitcka"......beautiful, educated, sophisticated........like a "New Yorker""........................I love her dearly. In the beginning I think she was jealous of the relationship be between JB and I. That is no longer an issue. I think she knows I care about the woman.....who cares about her husband.

I laugh when ever I think about JB. Many old-timers think he was a tyrant. His criticisms of "moron & idiots"......was like a baseball bat.....on the head.........or a mack truck............harsh.........but usually spot-on.

I once complained that sometimes I made a response on a thread.......and the thread stopped......with no other responses. He said....."because you are a "thread killer"..........your thoughtful response........sometimes......was a "last word"...... In reading his response on certain threads........I would have to agree......he was mostly right. My responses were not "more right".........just more diplomatic:-) I think we made a good team. I wish I was with my friend......having a nice cognac & a good Cuban cigar.................My most vivid recollection of my friend jb.......is that you really don't know the folks on this forum until you meet in person. I have met several really great people on the RWG & RWD..........and JB is at the top of the list.

Sorry to get off subject. This journey can be very emotional at times (hopefully).

Cant B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 05:43:51 AM »
Boethius,

It is nice that you responded to "another thread"........but has nothing to do with "this" thread. Direct your comments to the other thread..... unless you are specifically addressing...........this thread. Thanks.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2016, 03:52:24 AM »
WOW !

Trying to find out where I left-off. In reading the later half of my last post.....with disjointed sentences/thoughts.....I should keep "wine" ration...to 1-2 glasses......not 1-4. That "modify button" really needs to go from 24 hours.......to maybe 7 days ..instead.

We were out visiting many of the sights in Stavropol one day. We decided to stop at a cafe/bar and have some tea. I told Vika I was in the mood for a diva (Baltica #5).....she also had one. About two tables down from us.....I heard english being spoken. I told Vika I needed to go to the "can"......but I really wanted to get a closer "listen" to see where these two fellows were from. They were "Canucks". To Americans....Canadiens are not foreigners......they are like cousins. When I got back to our table I told Vika to kick-up the volume in our conversation. I told her I wanted to "mess" with the two Canadians. But.....I told her let us break-up the conversation.....and also speak in Russian. she smiled. Eventually one of the guys....."Paul".....walked over to our table.....and said he heard "English" being spoken. I looked puzzled (fake).....then looked at Vika....who tried to look puzzled.....but looked away....trying to contain herself from laughing out loud. I looked at him and said "Ya ner ga varu.......Englisky".......but laughed. He said: "I should have known.........YANKS!!!

Paul was about 51 y.o.......his friend Steve was about 28 y.o. Really nice guys.....we became friends. A few more "pivas".....and we made plans to meet the next day. We brought Vika's sister "I" along to the central city park. Many medium to large cities in Russia have their "central parks". They consist of paved walkways, flower gardens, indoor/outdoor restaurants with weekend bands and dancing. Vendors selling hands-crafts, food etc. Karaoke booths....and city owned rides for the kids.....and a large ferris wheel. In addition to these things....a vendor had about 10 or so.....outdoor (waterproof) ping pong (table tennis) tables. A completely different "feel".....having the tables "outside". You really don't feel the restrictions (of space).....playing outdoors. I had not touched a paddle in years. My wife, sister and new Canadian friends began "talking smack".....about all of the riches they would reap.....with the days "ping pong".....tournament. I kept my mouth shut. I had not played in 15 years...or so. But like the proverbial ".....like riding a bike".......the rust disappeared.........by the third game or so. In the next two weeks.......I lost once to Steve......in over 40 games. Playing ping pong outside.......is just too cool. You can make some shots 10-15 feet from the edge of the table. A "zen".....kind-of experience. It is my wife's dream that we move to Florida in the very near future (we are looking at 1-2 years "tops"....at this time.....Sarasota, Venice or Englewood/Rotonda areas)..................and have an "outdoor" ping pong table.

Paul & Steve.......were in Stavropol, Russia......having gigs teaching "English".....at my wife's International Language Institute. Talk about "coincidences". They had 1 year contracts. One night Paul invited us to dinner. He made a "killer" lasagna. Both Paul & Steve shared the same flat. We asked if we could bring "I"....Vika's (single) sister. We had a great time.....and Paul and "I' seemed to have a little "connection". Paul had a little "paunch".....thinning red hair.......but "charm" can go a long way. Paul was a smart very nice & funny guy. Paul & "I" did "see" each other for awhile. Steve was 28......a very nice....good-looking guy. We did not have a "date" that night for him.....but he was not alone....often.  This is only from an "American" (and only "this" American's)......point of view. Brit's & Aussies have never "felt" foreign to me. Many cultural differences.....but just too many similar points of culture.....and humor. When the "Americas cup" string of 120+ years in-a-row victories (longest winning streak in sports history).....was finally broken by the Aussies (Australia II from Perth).....most of the guys I know (I was a competitive sailor.....back in the dark ages) said they were glad it was the Aussies.....that finally broke the streak.

Steve moved back to Toronto and the end of his year....as a guest English teacher. Paul moved to Mexico (Cancun). He had never really scuba-dived before. He took lessons....fell in love with diving.....and eventually received "professional" certifications......to teach. He bought and lives in a condo....there.

I will continue in a week or so with more.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline onlyFSU4me

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2016, 06:34:13 AM »

I will continue in a week or so with more.

Capt B

Looking forward to it Captain, thanks for the interesting read.  :popcorn:

Offline CaptB

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 06:35:30 AM »
Sorry, only a very short entry tonite. I got sidetracked on some other threads.

We went to Moscow for a few days. Went to Red Square.....GUUM.......Peter the Great statue.......and a monument to my hero....Yuri Gargarin.....first astronaut in space. I was about 8 years old.....and he was the first "human" in space. No politics......"no cold war".....just the first man in space. The first "anything".....is just the coolest! My wife gave me a silver ruble....commemorating Gargarin's flight into space. It was a very special present from her.......and I was feeling like a very special recipient.......of such a present. Maybe my most treasured gift.......ever. Gifts from your Russian (FSU) friends are given many times with much emotion.....caring......and thoughtfulness. The lady in Nivinemoisk.......who gave me the 1967 Lenin ruble at the coin shop.....meant a lot to her..........and now me. I have a tea/coffee cup........which I received from my Mother inlay in June when they stayed with us. It is beautiful........and the best cup I have ever owned. My wife will be visiting Russia next year.....to attend our niece's high school graduation. I told her to buy a few more of these cups......in case "mine" ever got broken. It is little things (to us).....in FSU culture......that can turn out to be so significant. It is not money......the "cost" of gifts.......but really "the thought" (cliche)........that really counts. When I gave my wife's friend from the I international language institute.....a present of a 1955 T-Bird metal model car.......you would think I gave hime......the real thing. Such a small gift (to me)........but such a big appreciation......from him. It is what I love about Russia. Such big appreciation........for such (to us) small things. Here (Russia).......it is the "thought"...........that truly counts.

I had met at the airport.....a guy named Richard.......who was from Mississippi, USA. He was 69......meeting a woman who was 39. He had hooked-up with an Russian marriage/dating agency in my wife's city. He was meeting several women.....but mainly "A". We exchanged contact info. at the airport. about five days later we made arrangements to have dinner together.  Richard was a nice guy. Retired.....divorced......and children grown. I never met "A" in person......but my wife had a half-dozen phone conversations with her over the years. My wife believed she was an "honorable" person.......but maybe a handful.......for Richard. It has been a few years since I have talked to Richard.......maybe I will do so this weekend. The agency Richard was using.....eventually bought-out.......Commodore Steve's agency.......when he retired.

I got sidetracked and forgot about finishing our trip to Moscow. We went to visit her cousin "E".....who was a pedestrian......and her husband Valeri.......and Mother......Nina.
"Aunt Nina" was my Mother inlaw's sister inlaw. Aunt Nina was 70 y.o.......and very fit........and tough as nails. But a really great person. I liked her a lot. Actually my wife (girl friend at the time) were going to St. Pete for a few days. We were at the train station in Moscow........and were pick-pocketed........about $600 us. Phil Damore.....our apartment contact......was very understanding......when we would not make it to St. Pete (great guy, great contact......in St. Pete). I forgot my credit card.....only had cash. We stayed with her cousin for a few days. Her husband and I became great friends. Valeri was just a really friendly.....great guy. I hope his wife realized what a great guy he was. We bonded instantly. I have a great love of "boats". I have built several boats over the last 35 years....three of those were......'lapstrake" rowboats.....about 12' long. Valeri related a story about an extended row......in a very nice rowboat......he once did. He did not dream of a "yacht"......a large boat with cabins......but just a simple.......efficient......rowboat. He knew the difference between a modern "outboard" aluminum boat that had oarlocks for rowing.....but rowed like a pig. I have always wanted to make him a scale model......of a nice rowboat. I may do that this winter. Valeri and I .....had a great connection. My wife and her cousin were very amused.......at our "connection".

My wife (then girlfriend) had one last party at Paul & Steve's apartment......a very nice dinner......lots of wine.....lots of humor. I would be leaving the next day. This trip was different than the others. The "company" was very natural........my wife friends, relatives & coworkers.....were the "real deal". The "foreigness" was not very evident. The people I met were "real".......and their regard for my wife.....was genuine. They treated me as a very good friend........it was not Russian or American. They knew the real me.....and I never felt anything other......than just a friend. Politics can get into the way.........of just "people". I was only treated wth kindness. I left for home the next day.

Too tired tonite.

I will write more in a few days.

Capt B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
I got sidetracked and forgot about finishing our trip to Moscow. We went to visit her cousin "E".....who was a pedestrian......and her husband Valeri.......and Mother......Nina.

I think you meant she was a pediatrician, yes?  ;)
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline CaptB

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 07:33:41 PM »
Yes....."pediatrician". I get a little lazy with spell checking towards the end of my posts. That third glass of wine.......might have something to do it.......................:-)

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2016, 03:57:23 AM »
Sorry all.

I just spent about two hours on an addition to my story here........and things "froze-up".........and the entire post disappeared. Too tired to start again. I will try to resume tomorrow. Thank you for your patience. This really was a long addition. But....."crap" happens.....online.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2016, 04:01:24 AM »
Very disappointing.........in that a "replacement" post........might not be the same.

Thanks.....anyway.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 13th Anniversary.........and a small story
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2016, 07:52:18 AM »
I just spent about two hours on an addition to my story here........and things "froze-up".........and the entire post disappeared. Too tired to start again. I will try to resume tomorrow. Thank you for your patience. This really was a long addition. But....."crap" happens.....online.

We've all been there. I copy my post before hitting the post button just in case the post doesn't make it to the forum.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2016, 06:31:21 PM »
If it's going to be a long posting . . . type it first in your word processor.  Then copy and paste here.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2016, 09:00:50 PM »
ML,

Huh????? :-)

I have used computers for over 20 years....still don't know how to cut and paste. I'll ask my wife.....she is the computer geek. Usually I do a paragraph at a time...hit post....and then "modify". Just got wrapped-up in writing..... and forgot.

Thanks,

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 05:49:47 AM »
...still don't know how to cut and paste.
Very simple:

1. Click left mouse button and keep it pressed down..
2. Drag it over the desired text: a coloured background will highlight it.
3. Release the left button.
4. Click the right mouse button on the highlighted text: a context menu will appear.
5. Select "Cut" - or better "Copy" - from it. The highlighted text is now memorised.
6. Move the cursor to the text area that must receive the text - say, the RWD post.
7. Click the right mouse button on it: a context menu will again appear.
8.  Select "Paste" from it: et voilà :D.

If you're left-handed, reverse the clicked buttons. Alternatively, you could use keyboard shortcuts (key combinations) to do the above, but they are more complicated to explain here.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 05:50:57 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 03:42:48 PM »
Thanks.......Sandro. I will "cut and paste" your your info :-)

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2016, 02:44:27 AM »
Sorry for the delay. My wife and I just got back from a vacation in Venice, Florida. According to my wife ....this is "our" last winter spent in Michigan. We really love Venice..... anyone living in Venice, Englewood, Sarasota and Bradenton....we would like to hear from.

...............to continue. We had a really nice dinner party with our new "Canadian" friends. I told them to practice hard......their ping pong skills. I would return in about three months......and we would continue our "tournament". I promised I would "not" put in extra training.......during the interim. Via.......started out being only an interpreter (hired)........but it turned into something more. We felt like "friends".......since the first day we "actually" .......met. Before meeting we conversed well over 100 hours on the phone. No red flags......just very familiar.....day after.....day.....phone calls. I think we had become friends.......first. Hiring her "only" as an interpreter.....fell by the wayside.....before we actually "met". I really liked this girl. We had a lot in common......we liked the same things.......we "fit". About a month after I returned home.......I called her one evening. We talked for about 2 1/2 hours. In the end......I proposed. Her Mother was not surprised at all. Vika was not really surprised..............."I" was not really surprised......or nervous..........it just seemed natural. We said good night.......we would plan our wedding in the near future. Sorry that this part was not "thrilling"...."exciting"......"fantastic"..............................maybe "just right"........"natural"........."easy"........."comfortable"..............is the way it should be. Not for all.....but for "us". We knew that being together.......just felt right.

Our wedding "WAS"..........supposed to be held at the ZAGS office in Vika's hometown of Stavropol, Russia. ZAGS is like a church........justice of the peace.......but many are very nice........just like a church inside. The local ZAGS officer (female) was married to a prominent politician (like a congressman).....and had gotten into some trouble in her office. I was to be in Russia for 3 weeks.........but Russia had a waiting period of 30 days before you could be married......after filing an application. A "bribe" was necessary. unfortunately for us......because of her past troubles........she would not accept.........bribes. Vika had a cousin in Zhukovsky (sp) Russia.......a small town (100,000) about 30 miles from the city center of Moscow. Her cousin was a pediatrician......who would provide a letter stating that "Vika".........was 8 months pregnant........and so.........the "excuse" (official)........for having a wedding before the "official" waiting period.......of thirty days. This would cost $100 US.......to the local ZAGS officer......for performing this "special" service. The ZAGS officer was a very nice woman.......about 50 y.o..........or so. The wedding was set for August 8, 2003. My (future) wife had a hairdresser do the traditional hairdo (at that time).......like a 1950's/early 1960's.........."bubble". The service was very nice. It felt like "church".......in the ZAGS office. Lots of flowers ......already provided. We had about 15 friends and relatives in attendance. We went back to her cousins late.......after the wedding service........changed clothes.....and prepared for the first of "two"........receptions. The first........where we were married........in Zhukovsky. The second........in her home town of Stavropol......with friends, relatives........coworkers. Her mother, sister & niece...........attended both. My wife and I just got back from vacation today. I will write more next Friday.

Cant B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2016, 05:23:12 PM »
About a month after I returned home.......I called her one evening. We talked for about 2 1/2 hours. In the end......I proposed. Her Mother was not surprised at all. Vika was not really surprised..............."I" was not really surprised......or nervous..........it just seemed natural. We said good night.......we would plan our wedding in the near future. Sorry that this part was not "thrilling"...."exciting"......"fantastic"..............................maybe "just right"........"natural"........."easy"........."comfortable"..............is the way it should be. Not for all.....but for "us". We knew that being together.......just felt right.

Proposing on the phone may not be the most romantic thing but I can't fault you for proposing immediately after you realized you wanted to be with your wife for life. After you visited her, you came home and had time to think. Most men propose when they are visiting their girl, when their excited and on a high. Some guys may make a mistake proposing at those times. A cool down period is a good idea. Being apart for a month halfway across the world, you came to realize the bond you have with her continued to get stronger.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2016, 10:37:56 PM »
Yes......it was a toss-up. Phone call proposal may not be "romantic".....for most. We had spent well-over 100 hours on the phone.....before we even met. Her level of English is higher than 99% of FSU/W.....being a teacher of English for over ten years. We just clicked. After one divorce.....hopefully you really take a good look at yourself.....and learn from "your" mistakes. I dated a lot of nice American women for ten years after my divorce. Dating was never a problem. But there was always some small issue. Many....I remained friends with....after we stopped "dating". I think I learned to be happy......just living by myself. That kind of contentment makes you really "picky". After awhile (after my divorce)......loneliness just eventually disappeared. When you are happy living alone.....it will take someone really special......to give that up. I was lucky......we really are each others' best friend.

In another thread......there was a gentleman who was still deeply disturbed about his divorce......after "six years". I recommended counseling. My first wife and I went to marriage counseling. We went to the reverend who married us. A very insightful guy who had a Masters degree in family counseling (working on a Phd). I think we just tried counseling a little too late. We divorced several months later. After divorce the reverend ask if we would like "post divorce" counseling (individualy....of course). My ex declined the offer.......but I thought I would give it a try. I am glad I did......it focussed on the mistakes I made in my marriage....so as not to repeat. I was surprised that no one made a single comment about individual counseling. I think many believe it is just easier to get a "different partner......and problem solved. I don't know why anyone would want another relationship......if you have not fixed yourself...........first. And by the way......that 6 - 7 counseling sessions only cost me a $20 fee (the amount recommended by the reverend :-)...........to join the church. I told him I was not a "church-goer"...........he still provided the counseling.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline Gator

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2016, 07:03:59 AM »
Sorry for the delay. My wife and I just got back from a vacation in Venice, Florida. According to my wife ....this is "our" last winter spent in Michigan. We really love Venice..... anyone living in Venice, Englewood, Sarasota and Bradenton....we would like to hear from.

Delightful area.  Excellent fishing nearly year round if that is your hobby.  You can acquire a simple flats boat and go for redfish, snook, etc. around the mangroves.  Or a larger boat and hit the bays and near shore areas for tarpon, mackerel, trout, etc.  Or something even larger for the two-hour trip into the Gulf for grouper. 

I only went 3-4 times per year, so I always hired a guide with boat.  When my sons were young, they had much fun fishing for sharks.   Here is a photo of my stepson with  a black drum he caught in the bay.     [photo too large to post]

Offline ML

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
   [photo too large to post]

Gator, there is a simple "Resize" download available from Microsoft.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2016, 10:19:22 AM »
Gator, there is a simple "Resize" download available from Microsoft.

Gator,

If you are using Windows you can use Paint to resize the image also. Depending upon your version of Windows it is either in one of the menu drop downs or a button on the ribbon bar.

Hope this helps,
HDL

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2016, 04:48:10 PM »
Here is a photo of my stepson with  a black drum he caught in the bay.     [photo too large to post]
Or, more simply, just add a size parameter to the IMG tag ;), as suggested in the RWD Help page (http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=48):

Large RWD Home Page image (300x375, left), then reduced to width=200 (center), height=150 (right).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Gator

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2016, 05:13:01 PM »
Stepson Artur with Black Drum

(now too small but you get the idea - one proud young man)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:45 PM »
After one divorce.....hopefully you really take a good look at yourself.....and learn from "your" mistakes.

Studies show people who divorce once have an increased chance to divorce again. People can improve their chances that a marriage survives the second go around if they fix their problems. Some guys are responsible and kind but their biggest mistake may be in how they evaluate people and end up surrounding themselves with all the wrong poeple.

I dated a lot of nice American women for ten years after my divorce. Dating was never a problem. But there was always some small issue. Many....I remained friends with....after we stopped "dating". I think I learned to be happy......just living by myself. That kind of contentment makes you really "picky". After awhile (after my divorce)......loneliness just eventually disappeared. When you are happy living alone.....it will take someone really special......to give that up. I was lucky......we really are each others' best friend.

There are a lot of good women in America but they tend to be married and stay married. For those who are divorced, there are less quality women to choose from compared to when we were in our 20's. I noticed the ladies in America available to date were a few notches lower in quality after my first marriage. I'm sure divorced American women are thinking the same about the men they have to choose from too. In the FSU, many quality women hold out for the right conditions to be present before deciding to marry. Financially stability is important for a happy family and that is where Western men have an edge to get a quality women. But if his process of identifying and selecting a woman is flawed, he'll most likely end up single again.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2236
Total: 2247

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM