It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Using Skype question  (Read 25205 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Using Skype question
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 11:53:11 AM »
Sorry to hear that Maxx, I managed to get my mother onto tablet a few years back and she uses it every so often, never the most tech savvy but I think she enjoys looking stuff up. Still she is getting on and if she was to pass on before me, since you rarely know when time is up, then I would be more alone then I currently am :( I have siblings, a brother who I am close to but they have partners which can leave me at a loose end.

Anyway, on the Skype I don't know, its a bit of a progression on from just having messages and photo's and its great to see the other person. To me though its kind of like seeing a movie with a hot chick you fancy and thinking there would be chemistry between the two of you. Thing is unless you were to meet said hot actress there would be little way of telling, you could meet thinking there would be chemistry and there be nothing. To me Skype is a bit like a lot of pictures, moving pictures in that your back to the old picture book trying to determine if there might be chemistry and as I found last year there is no way of telling from pictures if there would be any chemistry or not, it can be very misleading. Myself I'm veering towards giving the whole Skype thing a miss in future, just go out there and call up the women there. Trying of course to be tactful about doing this so the woman doesn't get the feeling that she is one of many and it being a big turn off. I mean visit one no doubt works for some and it can help to advance a relationship but it just seems like a nonsensical way about it to me.   
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline xiphoid

• I'll keep trying till I get it right...
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Using Skype question
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »
Just curious but can you send an SMS from the US to Ukraine?
Beautiful girls, won't you walk a little slower, when you walk past me? - Robert Goulet

Offline HoundDaddyLee

Using Skype question
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2017, 02:00:47 PM »
Sorry to hear that Maxx, I managed to get my mother onto tablet a few years back and she uses it every so often, never the most tech savvy but I think she enjoys looking stuff up. Still she is getting on and if she was to pass on before me, since you rarely know when time is up, then I would be more alone then I currently am :( I have siblings, a brother who I am close to but they have partners which can leave me at a loose end.

Anyway, on the Skype I don't know, its a bit of a progression on from just having messages and photo's and its great to see the other person. To me though its kind of like seeing a movie with a hot chick you fancy and thinking there would be chemistry between the two of you. Thing is unless you were to meet said hot actress there would be little way of telling, you could meet thinking there would be chemistry and there be nothing. To me Skype is a bit like a lot of pictures, moving pictures in that your back to the old picture book trying to determine if there might be chemistry and as I found last year there is no way of telling from pictures if there would be any chemistry or not, it can be very misleading. Myself I'm veering towards giving the whole Skype thing a miss in future, just go out there and call up the women there. Trying of course to be tactful about doing this so the woman doesn't get the feeling that she is one of many and it being a big turn off. I mean visit one no doubt works for some and it can help to advance a relationship but it just seems like a nonsensical way about it to me.   

Trench,

You need to use all the tools at your disposal. Skype is an important one to have. It isn't in anyway like "watching a hot actress on TV". You actually interact with the woman. I give up. I am with Bill and Jon, this pursuit is not for you.
 :cluebat: :cluebat: :cluebat:

Good luck to you,
[/size]HDL

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Using Skype question
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2017, 02:09:31 PM »

Trench,

You need to use all the tools at your disposal. Skype is an important one to have. It isn't in anyway like "watching a hot actress on TV". You actually interact with the woman. I give up. I am with Bill and Jon, this pursuit is not for you.

Good luck to you,
[/size]HDL

Of course you interact and I do, I'm just saying its not as big of a benefit as some might think. I mean its another tool and in some ways its good but I think some people think it will be far more useful than it actually is. If some members on here think this pursuit is not for me that's fine, they may very well be right, but I'm going to do it anyway :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
Using Skype question
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2017, 02:13:33 PM »
So you think going to Ukraine for a week or two and meeting a woman randomly is a better approach, and will yield better results?

It seems to me that skype is a tool to weed out women you know are unsuitable - not enough English speaking skills, different life perspectives (in a way that will doom a relationship), different values, etc.  That is the benefit of skype.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Using Skype question
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
So you think going to Ukraine for a week or two and meeting a woman randomly is a better approach, and will yield better results?

It seems to me that skype is a tool to weed out women you know are unsuitable - not enough English speaking skills, different life perspectives (in a way that will doom a relationship), different values, etc.  That is the benefit of skype.

But you can't tell chemistry, at best you may think there is a possibility. You can tell if you get on well and find the girl nice. You can tell the stuff you've stated, but if there is no chemistry all you have done is pre-vetted a girl who may have no chemistry with you. Some of this stuff you mention can be found out in their profile and messaging. To me its putting the cart before the horse, its not to say a relationship cannot be found through it, there are no doubt many that have. I'm just saying it may not be the best way from a logical approach to the FSW dating scene. That and while I use Skype myself I just see it as not that ideal in interacting with women, its not bad in some ways its just not real ideal.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
Using Skype question
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2017, 03:04:52 PM »

You can usually do it using their cell service website or email. You can't usually
do it directly from your phone. What company does she have cell service through?

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline JayH

Using Skype question
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2017, 03:38:21 PM »

I note some comments above-- surely you simply dial the international codes  and number --to send an sms?
What year is it in the US of A?

fwiw--  that is how the rest of the world does it !!!
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

Using Skype question
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:32 PM »

Trench,

Good luck to you,
[/size]HDL

That was a conclusion Nightwish   and I made-- and wrote -- about 6 months or more ago !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 03:50:42 PM »
Some computers are just not powerful enough.....

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2879646/solving-the-5-biggest-skype-annoyances.html

Nice idea. Blame the computer for the software's problems!  ;D

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 03:54:39 PM »
Mine is pretty powerful and reasonably up to date (last 3 years). I have good broadband speed and up to date router through Virgin, fibre optic connection. I think odds are that the FSW will have poorer quality gear. Not real bad as apparently it's quite good out that way for a poor country but not real good either. That said glitches can happen even with up to date more expensive/quality gear. I think the distance may play a part in interuptions also. It's not real bad like you used to get just the break in audio or visual smoothness every so often.

I'm not sure which country you are referring to or which city in that country, but I can tell you that Moscow is not a "poor" city and definitely everything, including internet, is well up to standard.  I'm trying to understand my environment right now and I often walk into average shops where prices are on par or higher than what I saw in Canada.

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »
GQ sounds like it probably broadband problems at the FSU end. Considering most computer stuff these days will be of at least reasonable enough quality even if a bit old or a bit cheap in the FSU. I'm guessing they don't have the money to put into decent up to date cables for theit internet which can be very expensive. I remember when I was in Corfu about 6-7 years back I was looking for an Internet cafe in which to send some Architecture Portfolio stuff with large file sizes. Naturally this would require a reasonably fast internet speed to avoid it taking forever. The whole island though had real slow internet speed due to a dated network. They just didn't have the money to invest on a modern network. The guy in an Internet cafe I went in actually seem put out when I asked how fast the internet was no doubt seeing my disappointment at his answer. The FSU being a poor lot I'm guessing in most places it is much the same. Not sure many FSW will be able to afford Macbook Max,  lol.

Uhmmmm, I'm wondering how I will be able to afford what they afford here in Moscow.  So you were in Greece, 7 years ago, on an island, in an "internet cafe" (do they still exist?) and that is relevant to what exactly? Honestly!

In Moscow, my internet is costing me 400RU a month (for me, Insanely Cheap!!!), less than 10CAD. It's fast and reliable and when I press "Post" this will be on the forum in the next moment.  I don't know where you are talking to girls but at least in Russia, any city will have good, fast internet on offer.  In the villages, they are being neglected and this is unfortunate, they don't even have running water and people are leaving.  But I doubt you are chatting via web with girls in those villages.

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »

You know, there's an expression about hope that you pass before you child does.  You have heard it I hope?

You do need to be careful about doing a flyby into the FSU for a limited time.  I was using Tinder and often they are interested almost first of all about how long you're in town.  For me that's not a problem, but they may conclude some things if you say you are just around for a week or two.  I guess it would be up to each individual girl about how she might perceive that and also up to you to explain exactly what you are up to.

I stopped using Tinder more or less, because I'm very busy here now and I don't have time to write to each girl when we match. It happens a lot. I don't have time to write them and then meet them for dates.  I've had to take a step back in order to focus on priorities. But just a Tinder comparison from Canada to here, there isn't any.  Canada is a desert for me.  Here, I can meet a girl for coffee practically everyday of the week if I want.

I once read an article about Tinder in Moscow and one of the points they made which seems to have some merit, is that it seems sometimes girls just want to get "matched" to boost their egos and they have no interest in actually meeting someone.  I think there is something to this as I get plenty of "matches" and the follow up when I message them drops down, way way down.  They match but don't write, just want to feel better about themselves it seems.  Still, I always have some writing to me.  I have plans for tomorrow from Tinder.  But I'm thinking about starting to talk to girls in cafes, it might be more productive.

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
Of course you interact and I do, I'm just saying its not as big of a benefit as some might think. I mean its another tool and in some ways its good but I think some people think it will be far more useful than it actually is. If some members on here think this pursuit is not for me that's fine, they may very well be right, but I'm going to do it anyway :D

They may be right, but I like your spirit!  Carry on and know what you want.  But you do have a lot to learn. But I also think you already know that too, you aren't some arrogant pompant who thinks he knows it all.  You'll figure this out eventually.

If I were you, I'd start from the point that the girl is sincere and let them prove you wrong (do your research).  You seem to be getting better at not assuming they're all out to screw you over.  I'd also advise you to abandon your assumptions about what the FSU is like.  Let the FSUW teach you.  I would finally recommend to adjust your language - how you communicate in writing (and probably it is notched up a few degrees in spoken) - ask yourself if you had a basic/intermediate knowledge of English, would you understand many of your expressions? Such as "out that way".  I know what that means, but I'm sure someone who has a basic grasp of English has no idea.  Review the words you use to communicate with and how you present them, make changes as you see fit, and you'll be having more success I think.

I hope the haters aren't screaming you off the board yet.  There's a bunch of jack asses that love to join a pile on, but you are the reason a site like this should exist.  I wish you well in your search.

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »
You can usually do it using their cell service website or email. You can't usually
do it directly from your phone. What company does she have cell service through?

He's in GB, not in US.  :offtopic:

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2017, 04:36:02 PM »
That was a conclusion Nightwish   and I made-- and wrote -- about 6 months or more ago !

Basically, what I expected from you.  If you haven't anything to contribute to this thread, don't write in it!

Offline Boethius

Using Skype question
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 05:50:03 PM »
But you can't tell chemistry, at best you may think there is a possibility. You can tell if you get on well and find the girl nice. You can tell the stuff you've stated, but if there is no chemistry all you have done is pre-vetted a girl who may have no chemistry with you. Some of this stuff you mention can be found out in their profile and messaging. To me its putting the cart before the horse, its not to say a relationship cannot be found through it, there are no doubt many that have. I'm just saying it may not be the best way from a logical approach to the FSW dating scene. That and while I use Skype myself I just see it as not that ideal in interacting with women, its not bad in some ways its just not real ideal.

What, exactly, is this "chemistry"? 

You can approach women on the street who you have instant physical "chemistry" with, but that chemistry fades with time. 

The purpose of skype is to determine if the qualities that over time make a relationship last exist.  That means similar intelligence, similar core values, etc.  That is why you would want to skype with several women at once.  Your approach, it seems to me, is based entirely on chance.  It may work as well, that is how I met my better half (and neither of us were looking for a mate), but I firmly believe God puts couples together for a reason, even if the relationship fails.  However, I get the impression you don't subscribe to that point of view, so I'm giving you the nuts and bolts of a more methodical approach.

BTW, my better half, who has spent a considerable amount of time in Ukraine over the last two years, says the only "chemistry" that matters to UW is the size of your wallet.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:10:48 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Using Skype question
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 06:27:59 PM »

Xiphoid-

I'm in my iPhone so not sure if anyone answered your question. Use whatsApp. It's free and smartphone available and can be used worldwide.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Bounder

Using Skype question
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »
What, exactly, is this "chemistry"? 

You can approach women on the street who you have instant physical "chemistry" with, but that chemistry fades with time. 

The purpose of skype is to determine if the qualities that over time make a relationship last exist.  That means similar intelligence, similar core values, etc.  That is why you would want to skype with several women at once.  Your approach, it seems to me, is based entirely on chance.  It may work as well, that is how I met my better half (and neither of us were looking for a mate), but I firmly believe God puts couples together for a reason, even if the relationship fails.  However, I get the impression you don't subscribe to that point of view, so I'm giving you the nuts and bolts of a more methodical approach.

BTW, my better half, who has spent a considerable amount of time in Ukraine over the last two years and is, of course, a native, says the only "chemistry" that matters to UW is the size of your wallet.

It almost sounds like you are saying that Skype is better than face to face.

But yes, I'm not surprised about what you say about UW and wallet size.  Russia is a better option in that case for quality women.

Offline Boethius

Using Skype question
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2017, 08:13:22 PM »
No, I'm not saying skype is better.  Just that if you're not living there, you are better to find women online you find attractive and to communicate with them before you go.  That communication will tell you if you click on important things, besides the size of her @ss.  Whether it works out when you meet in person is a different matter.

BTW, on the UW, the better half was being facetious, so I've added a  :) .  As a Ukrainian, he hears a lot from Westerners about the high regard in which they hold Ukrainians (and Russians, as his surname is Russian, rather than Ukrainian).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 08:15:58 PM by Boethius »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Using Skype question
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2017, 03:26:00 AM »

So how is your search going then JayH, I hear a lot of knocking from you, someone who according to your profile has been to the FSU countless times over many years, but no joy as yet? what are you doing to rectify your lack of success in this venture?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Using Skype question
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2017, 03:36:48 AM »
You know, there's an expression about hope that you pass before you child does.  You have heard it I hope?

You do need to be careful about doing a flyby into the FSU for a limited time.  I was using Tinder and often they are interested almost first of all about how long you're in town.  For me that's not a problem, but they may conclude some things if you say you are just around for a week or two.  I guess it would be up to each individual girl about how she might perceive that and also up to you to explain exactly what you are up to.

I stopped using Tinder more or less, because I'm very busy here now and I don't have time to write to each girl when we match. It happens a lot. I don't have time to write them and then meet them for dates.  I've had to take a step back in order to focus on priorities. But just a Tinder comparison from Canada to here, there isn't any.  Canada is a desert for me.  Here, I can meet a girl for coffee practically everyday of the week if I want.

I once read an article about Tinder in Moscow and one of the points they made which seems to have some merit, is that it seems sometimes girls just want to get "matched" to boost their egos and they have no interest in actually meeting someone.  I think there is something to this as I get plenty of "matches" and the follow up when I message them drops down, way way down.  They match but don't write, just want to feel better about themselves it seems.  Still, I always have some writing to me.  I have plans for tomorrow from Tinder.  But I'm thinking about starting to talk to girls in cafes, it might be more productive.

How so Bounder? Are you not living of investments, do you need to work over there? I think you're right with the one to two week thing with a visit many strategy. Hence why next trip I am planning for a few weeks. Its a real bonus being out there all the time so you can meet as many women as you like. I've never found Tinder much cop in the UK, maybe it works better elsewhere or for certain persons. I think using different dating websites and diversifying your strategy are worthwhile exploring. Having the resources for continual dating beautiful women with few other commitments would feel like paradise I think :D

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Using Skype question
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 04:01:03 AM »
No, I'm not saying skype is better.  Just that if you're not living there, you are better to find women online you find attractive and to communicate with them before you go.  That communication will tell you if you click on important things, besides the size of her @ss.  Whether it works out when you meet in person is a different matter.

BTW, on the UW, the better half was being facetious, so I've added a  :) .  As a Ukrainian, he hears a lot from Westerners about the high regard in which they hold Ukrainians (and Russians, as his surname is Russian, rather than Ukrainian).

When you Skype with a girl you find attractive and vice versa then she pretty much wants you to go and it tends to be a visit one approach. But then of course you're taking the gamble that there is chemistry in person and not just someone you find attractive visually/personality, etc. With a visit many like Bounder is doing you can talk to many there and you can see from the word go if there is any attraction there. Not saying Skype wouldn't work, for some it does, just saying it is not all its cracked up to be. The thinking seems to be you can do all of the work on Skype then go to the FSU, but the crucial element, 'chemistry' is missing on Skype, so unfortunately not all the work can be done through Skype.

Offline HoundDaddyLee

Using Skype question
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2017, 07:40:49 AM »
When you Skype with a girl you find attractive and vice versa then she pretty much wants you to go and it tends to be a visit one approach. But then of course you're taking the gamble that there is chemistry in person and not just someone you find attractive visually/personality, etc. With a visit many like Bounder is doing you can talk to many there and you can see from the word go if there is any attraction there. Not saying Skype wouldn't work, for some it does, just saying it is not all its cracked up to be. The thinking seems to be you can do all of the work on Skype then go to the FSU, but the crucial element, 'chemistry' is missing on Skype, so unfortunately not all the work can be done through Skype.

So, if you can only Skype one woman at a time? Again, Skype is just a tool to help. Boe put it better than me. It is a great screening tool.  Why limit your options. It is very rare for a man to go to FSU without a plan and hope to meet someone on a trip. Bounder is not on a WMVM trip. He is living in Moscow. LIVING in Moscow. He not there for 30 days. He is there for an extended period. Unless you are planning on moving to an FSU city and live, your approach will rarely yield good results. Not sure why you are digging your heels in on this. I would venture that most, if not all of the success stories on here, started with some Skype contact (in the time the software has been available). Trust me, as you are afraid of scammers, Skype is an ideal tool to verify that the woman is real.

As Bounder put it, this site is for people like you. You are getting pounded because people are trying to help you and refuse to listen. I even offered to help you directly. *Shrugs* So go your own way. No skin off our noses, but don't expect much sympathy when the train wrecks start piling up.

Again, good luck. You are going to need it.

HDL

Offline Boethius

Using Skype question
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2017, 02:20:49 PM »

So what is the problem with saying "I fancy you, but until we meet in person, neither of us will know if it will work.  I am communicating with other women, and I encourage you to communicate with other men until we meet and decide to commit to one another."?

You would have to make it clear you are looking for the future Mrs. Trench, you're not going to visit for a sexual adventure.

Some women may not like that, and that's their prerogative.  You have lost nothing if they choose to not communicate with you further.  I can assure you, even while skyping with you, almost all those women are still communicating, and sleeping, with UM.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 03:24:26 PM by Boethius »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1902
Total: 1913

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM