It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: USCIS Processing Times  (Read 11017 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
USCIS Processing Times
« on: January 23, 2005, 10:44:32 AM »
Here is an important link to the USCIS website where they provide processing times for various applications.

http://egov.immigration.gov/cris/jsps/ptimes.jsp

For example, as of today (23 Jan 2005), the BACKLOG for processing K1 Fiance visas (I-129F) at each of the four Service Centers is as follows:

California - November 15, 2004 (a little more than 2 months)
Nebraska - October 4, 2004 (more than 3 months)
Texas - August 27, 2004 (almost 6 months)
Vermont - December 23, 2004 (slighly more than one month)

Note that these backlogs fluctuate widely, with the ONLY consistency being that Vermont is historically the shortest.

Note also that, while NE seems OK right now for K1 visas, their timeframe for processing Removal of Conditions (I-751) is abominable!

It pays to remain aware of the timeframes - if for no other reason than to have some idea of what to expect from our grand bureaucracy.

- Dan

Offline Greg

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2005, 02:32:18 AM »
I wanted to post some great news for all who apply to the California Service Center for a I-129F fince visa. They must be working very hard in Californis because my petition was approved in less than 30 days time. I submited my application on January 19th 2005 and just recieved an approval dated February 17th 2005. Thats much quicker than the epected 60-90 day wait I had anticipated and even faster than the Vermont Serive Center's projected wait times. Good Luck to all with your applications.

Offline RacerX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2005, 04:47:01 AM »
yeah, mine was approved from the CSC in 16 days!

Those processing times have little if anything to do with the actual times.  'bout the only thing they are good for is if you are 30 days past them you have the right to complain.

The times you really want to check out are those for your local district since the AOS process will take much longer.

Funny,  once you get the K-1 visa you realize it's only a piece of paper- the real challenges come later!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 04:47:00 AM by RacerX »

Offline Bruce

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2005, 04:54:38 AM »
Right now I am at three months wait for the AOS and I-131.  I hope I can get permission so we can travel to Russia and back this summer. 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Vaughn

• Trips: No Selection
USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 07:52:54 AM »
Bruce wrote:
Right now I am at three months wait for the AOS and I-131.  I hope I can get permission so we can travel to Russia and back this summer.  

Bruce, did your local office give you a time projection for Advance Parole? If not, get one. My office quoted me 30 days. After several months, we were at a crucial point, ready to buy tickets, 6 weeks prior to departure. I took a vacation day to visit Immigration, pleaded my case for action - and they issued two Advance Parole documents, multiple-entry, on the spot. Don't wait to speak up until zero hour!

Vaughn

Offline Vaughn

• Trips: No Selection
USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2005, 07:59:32 AM »
Dan wrote:
Note also that, while NE seems OK right now for K1 visas, their timeframe for processing Removal of Conditions (I-751) is abominable!

Hypothetical question: As I understand it, the I-751 must be filed during the last 90 days before the 2nd anniversary of a 2-year Green Card issuance. If the office drags its heels and Conditions are not removed within that 90 day timeframe, what does that do the applicant's status? (ie, walking around with an expired card)

Vaughn

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 10:00:43 AM »
Quote from: Vaughn

Hypothetical question: As I understand it, the I-751 must be filed during the last 90 days before the 2nd anniversary of a 2-year Green Card issuance. If the office drags its heels and Conditions are not removed within that 90 day timeframe, what does that do the applicant's status? (ie, walking around with an expired card)

Vaughn[/quote]

Vaughn,

That is exactly our status at present. What they do is send you a letter stating that the Conditional Permanent Resident status (and card) remain in effect until you hear from them again.

We still have another year probably till the decision on AOS. By then, we may already be into the Citizenship process.

- Dan

Offline Bruce

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 10:58:01 AM »
Vaughn - thanks for the reminder and heads up.  I'll be on the horn next week with them to see what is going on!
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Greg

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 01:25:56 AM »
Ok, the AOS is the one you need to apply for at the local office for a work permit? I have zero experience at this stuff.

Offline ConnerVT

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 03:30:51 AM »
Quote from: Greg
Ok, the AOS is the one you need to apply for at the local office for a work permit? I have zero experience at this stuff.

Like playing chess, it's always good to be looking a few moves ahead.  This link has pretty accurate step by step instructions on the entire process:

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1faq.htm

Once your fiancee arrives, it's best for her to apply for her Social Security number before you marry, and her 90 day visa has expired.  Once you marry, quickly file your application for these three things:

AOS (Adjustment of Status) -- To receive her Conditional Resident Alien card;

EAD (Employment Authorization Document) -- So she may work before receiving her Conditional Residen Alien Card (This will also be the only official document you will have to prove her legal status in the US, important for things like getting a state drivers license).

AP (Advance Parole) -- To allow her to re-enter the US before she receives her Conditional Resident Alien card, so she may visit family, etc.

If there are any children that come along with her, also file AOS and AP applications for them at this time also.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 03:31:00 AM by ConnerVT »

Offline Greg

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 01:15:33 PM »
Your right this whole process is so long and complicated, if your not on top of this stuff you can wait forever for the process to be over. It is like a chess game, but in this game I haven't even read the rulebook. I'm just winging it so far. Al least i got my application approved in under 30 days. I was pretty proud of myself but i suppose none of the credit goes to me. From what I understand my fiance has 4 months to obtain her K-1 visa from the date of my I-129F approval, then that visa is good for 6 months. So if I am planning ahead she needs a s/s card almost right off the plane, then after the wedding we apply for AOS (I-485) and EAD (I-765) and start waiting for those applications to be approved?

Greg

P.S. does eveybody who goes through this process speak in abbreviations? j/k.

Offline RacerX

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 02:16:27 PM »
I dunno, doesn't seem so unusual to me.... I would give it a week or so after your K-1 fiancee clears POE before filing for SSN, technically she's also eligible for EAD, but of course you can't apply for AP until you AOS  and her EAD would also be more permanent.

btw, they are now approving I-129F's from CSC in as little as 10 days now!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2005, 02:18:00 PM by RacerX »

Offline ConnerVT

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 04:26:45 PM »
Quote from: RacerX
....but of course you can't apply for AP until you AOS and her EAD would also be more permanent.

Not so.  We filed for my wife and son's AP in the same envelope that contained their AOS applications (as well as my wife's EAD app).

When JFK is your POE, they automatically give you a stamp for work authorization on a K-1 visa (but not for my 6 y.o.'s K-2.  Couldn't send him right to work! ;) ).  This is why she was eligible for a SS#.  Once you marry, technically the K-1 is not valid, but SS does not look at this, just the date that her I-94 expires (I-94 = Arrival/Departure Record, which is attached to her passport at POE).  In my opinion, it is better to apply sooner than later, just in case you run into any difficulties.  In our case, it was just a routine visit to the SS office (long time waiting to be called, 3 minutes at the service window. :? )

p.p.s.  IIRC, all INS applicants rely on TLA's (Three Letter Acronyms).  :P

Offline Bruce

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2005, 07:03:08 AM »
Just to let you guys know - I just got back from a business trip late last night.  My wife got her I-131 approval in the mail yesterday.  So, it took roughly 3 months for approval in our case.

Offline RacerX

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2005, 12:16:45 PM »
Quote from: ConnerVT
....but of course you can't apply for AP until you AOS and her EAD would also be more permanent.

Not so.  We filed for my wife and son's AP in the same envelope that contained their AOS applications (as well as my wife's EAD app).

[/quote]

,,,just trying to be clever with the TLA's, yes I meant the same thing:cool:

Offline ConnerVT

USCIS Processing Times
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2005, 04:19:11 PM »
The new service center that opened in Missouri has really sped up a bunch of applications.  My wife recieved her AP and EAD in under 90 days... and we had our AOS interview in less than 120.  If I knew it would go that fast, I would of saved the application fees on 2 APs and an EAD!  :shock:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2271
Total: 2282

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM