It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: To the Pearl of the Black Sea  (Read 84564 times)

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: To the Pearl of the Black Sea
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2017, 11:53:40 PM »
There is no reason to feel unsafe in Odessa . Use normal awareness and observation and stay sober!
There is nothing there that does not apply in any urban big city.
See previous post on not showing too much obvious cash etc
I wander around at all hours of the day and night -- and have never had any great concern ! ( note-- I did not say without incident!)

btw in Odessa --you are required to carry id document at all times.  Instead of carrying my actual passport--I have a very good photocopy of all the relevant pages and that has satisfied police.

ps  do your best to look like you are not from somewhere else !
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 11:55:18 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:51 AM »
The new terminal feels like a bus terminal even... haha. No ramps to planes even. Just several large rooms basically. Customs was not even working.

Old Terminal Building had a hokey side bar, lol. Sounds they just rebuilt much the same just in glass and a little more modern. I never saw the point of building it to the side as seemed odd positioning there. Think it was probably they needed facility of old terminal building until it was built. Think they would have been better to build it a bit longer and with a few gates for practicality but I guess money was an issue.

Anyway, on reading your posts the main thing that jumps to my mind is, 'What is the deal here?' You seemed to suggest from previous posts that it was an upfront sex for money deal was it not? If these are agency girls why aren't they fleecing you like all the others? They've already told you that is what they do so why not with you? why even tell you? By now most would have tried to get you to pay for the ride from the airport, meals, and if they could line you up with an apartment and take a cut, etc. Are you just paying to avoid all this and just get a money for sex deal? My only other thought is that if not then you are going to finds out some way down the way what the price is, are they playing the long game and wanting to marry you then take you for half, green card, etc. A lot more lucrative that I guess than a few overpriced taxi rides and restaurant meals.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline rw_recruiter

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
I never saw the point of building it to the side as seemed odd positioning there. Think it was probably they needed facility of old terminal building until it was built. Think they would have been better to build it a bit longer and with a few gates for practicality but I guess money was an issue.

Yes, think that may be why as well. Use the old buildings as administration until everything is finished then tear them down and move the runway taxi area a bit. But there was a field area to the left they could have used I think. Not everything makes sense in thsi country I am starting to learn.

Anyway, on reading your posts the main thing that jumps to my mind is, 'What is the deal here?' You seemed to suggest from previous posts that it was an upfront sex for money deal was it not? If these are agency girls why aren't they fleecing you like all the others? They've already told you that is what they do so why not with you? why even tell you? By now most would have tried to get you to pay for the ride from the airport, meals, and if they could line you up with an apartment and take a cut, etc. Are you just paying to avoid all this and just get a money for sex deal? My only other thought is that if not then you are going to finds out some way down the way what the price is, are they playing the long game and wanting to marry you then take you for half, green card, etc. A lot more lucrative that I guess than a few overpriced taxi rides and restaurant meals.

A lot of the same going through my head. Definitely not a sex for money thing though, I can get that back home and it is not my thing to be honest. Maybe my next few posts will shed more light.

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
I worked a bit from the apartment today since we could not meet up till later in the day. Ran over to the bank and exchanged some money finally. Rate was decent at just a hair under 26 Hrivnas to the dollar. Lady said my passport was not needed to exchange currency. I now have a large stack of 200 Hrivna notes piled up. Not very convenient to walk around with.

My girl shoots me a message on Whatsapp earlier than expected and asks if I want to go to lunch. Hungry and having only eaten some leftovers her parents brought yesterday I agree we should go for it. We walk down towards the Sea and turn right on a larger street. She says she wants to take me to "food mall". We walk into what looks like a new food court in an old building. Must be three stories tall and with beautiful tall distressed ceilings. It has several floors, is lively and around the center are a number of small food stalls. Basically like a food court in a mall back home, but bit more stylish and a large stage for a DJ on the upper level.

We settle on a BBQ place and she translates the menu for me in her broken English. We order some paninis and I decide to see how the Ukes grill their ribs so I order a side of that. 100 grams. She looks at me and says "too small, maybe 300 grams you need".

Not thinking what 100 grams even looks like I say it will be fine. Back in the US we order by the pound or rack. I am expecting maybe half a rack of ribs as a side. When I get the food and look at what 100 grams is I laugh. It's basically half a rib bone. A guy like me would need 2000 grams easily. Lot to learn here ordering by the gram....

We sit down to eat and notice other Ukrainians eating BBQ. They all seem to like it. In fact I have noticed several new BBQ joints popping up around the city. They gotta learn to use their hands though silly guys. I see them wearing black latex gloves eating ribs and have to laugh.

Offline rw_recruiter

I get scammed...
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2017, 01:42:21 PM »
While waiting for our BBQ my companion asks me if I would like fresh juice. Seems the health fad has reached Ukraine and I notice a vegan stall, tofu, and other types of health food options. I say sure and she tells me I should go buy the juice for us and points over to a stall.

She has thrown me to the fire.

I walk over and communicate horribly with the guy in the booth. Appears they have many types of juices so I point to a mixture of several fruits and veggies. He speaks zero English and I see two prices on the menu. 40 and 60 Hrivnas. I struggle to find out that the price difference is in the size of the cup and they blend up the concoction in front me me while I wait.

I pass him a 200 Hrivna note and he signs that it is 20 Hrivnas more. Not understanding why the difference and not wanting to deal with the language barrier I hand it over and walk off victorious with the two cups of juice.

When I get to the table my girl asks me how much it was. I tell her 220 Hrivnas and she asks me for the receipt. When she reviews it I see her eyes light up and she says "you robbed". Like a ball of fire she jumps out of the chair and walks straight over the the guy and an exchange of words takes place. I can see her heatedly arguing with him and I think to myself I do not want to be on the receiving end of her anger.

She walks back over and hands me 70 Hrivnas a few moments later and tells me to count my money when buying things.

Lets see if anyone can see how he scammed me for the two juices  ;)

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2017, 01:48:49 PM »
After lunch we walk a bit further down the road. My sim card I bought at the supermarket the first day does not work in the old Samsung S4 I brought along. We wait inside a bit and I look over laptop prices for fun. Not much more than in the US with a low end Dell for around 8000 Hrivnas. I figured electronics may be more, but does not seem so.

After a somewhat long wait we sit down with an agent in the Kievstar store and he checks the sim card, phone and ultimately tells us that it is locked on the providers end. Nothing he can do. Thanks a lot T-Mobile. A shame he says as it is a nice phone even if older.

I will use my other Samsung for now and communicate with text and whatsapp for the remainder of my trip. Seems to be working well enough anyways.

Offline BillyB

Re: I get scammed...
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Lets see if anyone can see how he scammed me for the two juices  ;)

I don't understand what the receipt says but it seems you were charged for 6 items and then given a 50% discount to make you feel like you got a good deal. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. I didn't know the language when I was there but I do know numbers and if the numbers don't add up, I speak up.

Did you have any opportunity to talk about hopes and dreams with your lady? If so, was she interested in that kind of talk?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
Seems to me like she is looking out for your interest and making sure you don't get robbed. So far, the signs are good about this girl...... :popcorn:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline rw_recruiter

And shopping we go
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Now that I have finally changed some funds I need a few things. Especially a toothbrush which was left at home. If there was one thing I desperately needed after a long flight that was it.

We walk into a small supermarket and I grab some produce. Softer toilet paper to swap out the industrial roll of paper to clean windows was next on my list. Toothbrush was about 14 Hrivnas. Eggs less than a dollar per dozen. Some veggies and mushrooms to cook breakfast the next day added to the basket. Bottled water she made me buy and explained the difference in labels. White or light blue for still water. Darker blue for medium sparkling and I think it was green for extra gaseous water.

Milk or my new word of the day "moloko" was 23 Hrivnas or less than a buck.

We walk over to the little counter and hold up the line a bit. We had not weighed the mushrooms and placed the tag on it ourselves. The lady at the register rattles something off and the girl I am with ignores it.

Lost I look over to her for a little help and she blankly says "If you are my man and move here you must know Russian".

What the F?????

This girl is fiery as hell, damn.

She gets the lady to repeat it and my crash course in Russian numbers begins. I escape the store spending 170 Hrivnas.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 02:17:37 PM by rw_recruiter »

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
Looks like Valentin made you 2 drinks with carrots, apple and possibly Celery? He charged you 100 for the celery, 60 each for the Apple and Carrots. Then gave you a 50% discount! LOL What a nice guy!

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2017, 02:08:34 PM »
I don't understand what the receipt says but it seems you were charged for 6 items and then given a 50% discount to make you feel like you got a good deal. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself. I didn't know the language when I was there but I do know numbers and if the numbers don't add up, I speak up.

Did you have any opportunity to talk about hopes and dreams with your lady? If so, was she interested in that kind of talk?

Yes, the numbers do not add up but in a different way than you think. Will see if anyone catches it and if not I will explain.

No serious discussions yet Billy. We are taking it casually for now. We just met yesterday if you think about it. From what you guys say here I may have not even been talking to her!

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
Yes, the numbers do not add up but in a different way than you think. Will see if anyone catches it and if not I will explain.

No serious discussions yet Billy. We are taking it casually for now. We just met yesterday if you think about it. From what you guys say here I may have not even been talking to her!

She seems to be interested in you at least. Otherwise, she wouldn't bother being concerned about what you spend.
Get used to this. I live with my GF and she is always doing this to me, LOL.

Offline wallm

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: And shopping we go
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2017, 02:19:35 PM »
[quote author=rw_recruiter link=topic=22120.msg467534#msg467534 date=1504645500
Lost I look over to her for a little and she blankly says "If you are my man and move here you must know Russian".

What the F?????

This girl is fiery as hell, damn.
[/quote]

Tell her calmly, "I won't move here for anyone." ;D

At the risk of offending many Ukraine apologists on this forum, who the F wants to live over there after having a good life here?

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2017, 02:22:30 PM »
As we walk back carrying my bounty we pass a couple exiting a building all dressed up. A car adorned with flowers and ribbons awaits out front. I ask if it is a church and she tells me it is the the "wedding chapel. Most famous in Odessa". It is next door to the Opera house.

Offline rw_recruiter

Re: And shopping we go
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2017, 02:25:13 PM »
At the risk of offending many Ukraine apologists on this forum, who the F wants to live over there after having a good life here?

Cannot lie that the thought did not cross my mind. It is a very romantic city. But I have been here 2 days with a beautiful blonde so may not be thinking straight....

Walking up stairs and carrying groceries all over does not appeal to me. I can see that as getting old very fast.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
From what you guys say here I may have not even been talking to her!

So basically you're trying to build a bond with a stranger who knows nothing about you. Ivan, the employee of the month, probably knows more about you than the girl you're dating. I hope you didn't talk sex with Ivan.

She seems to be interested in you at least.

Earlier I thought she cared about our OP but I'm now having doubts. If she doesn't remember their prior correspondence or even care to know what our OP and Ivan, the employee of the month talked about, I doubt she's interested in truly knowing who the OP really is. When a person is considering another to be their life partner, he/she wants to know about that person as much as they can.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
We have not really even had time to talk about it Billy. We just met and are exploring the city.

Offline wallm

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2017, 02:38:50 PM »
Check out the opera. It is an experience. I had been to Opera in Kiev and Odessa. Didn't understand one word. But it was beautiful. Check out the restaurants. I loved the Ukrainian and especially Georgian food. Hopefully you will get the regular menu.;D

Offline BillyB

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 02:46:41 PM »
We have not really even had time to talk about it Billy. We just met and are exploring the city.

Get in the drivers seat and take the conversations in the direction you want. Figure out if you've been set up, the sooner the better. That way you can go to plan B and salvage your trip. Had guys in the past let the girl put on a show for them the whole trip believing she's taking care of him and being a good hostess but nothing was real.

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
Get in the drivers seat and take the conversations in the direction you want. Figure out if you've been set up, the sooner the better. That way you can go to plan B and salvage your trip. Had guys in the past let the girl put on a show for them the whole trip believing she's taking care of him and being a good hostess but nothing was real.

I don't mind flying by the seat of my pants. I am only looking for a nice girl. Not exactly looking to bend a knee at the end of this trip.  Why would I want to see her baby album and ask her serious questions the second day we met? I would never do the same back home. Why act unnaturally or with haste?

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »
Anyways, I am beginning to like this girl with a little attitude.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2017, 03:19:54 PM »
Why would I want to see her baby album and ask her serious questions the second day we met?

You're already behind the curve. Dating internationally isn't like dating at home where you have the ability to date often so no rush. Before visiting a woman, a guy should've asked all the serious questions. Does she want to work or be a stay at home wife? Does she want children or not? Does she believe in God, abortion, or what kind of politics she favors? You shouldn't visit a woman without knowing what is in her head. You ask the deal breaker questions early so you don't have to waste a few thousand dollars on a first date. Once you figure out if your and her goals and dreams align, then you visit a woman to learn if there is chemistry and if she has good manners. Some women talk sweet to their man but plain rude to everybody else. As far as the photo album goes, before visiting my wife, we traded lots of photos of ourselves and family before meeting each other. That's what people who are interested in each other do. Share their lives with each other. You think it's weird? If she likes you, she will be happy you're interested in her life and she'd be happy to show you it.

I would never do the same back home. Why act unnaturally or with haste?

International dating is unnatural. Most people back home wouldn't do it and think us that do it are crazy. Don't worry about haste. Girls over there will drop a man within days or even minutes if she feels he's not qualified to be her MAN. Guys have written trip reports crying in their room after the girl dumps them soon after they arrive. Hastily figure the girl out and whether or not you should dump her. Don't feel sorry for her because she's not going to feel sorry for you once she determines you aren't the ONE.

Keep in mind, girls that work for agencies may have boyfriends. Evaluate how much time she spends with you and how much time she spends elsewhere. If she doesn't have a job, she should be spending lots of time with you to learn if you're the man she wants to spend her life with.

Anyways, I am beginning to like this girl with a little attitude.

The attitude she gives people she's upset with is the attitude you'll get when she's upset with you. A woman with good manners in any situation should be what you're looking for if you like a drama free relationship.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:22:26 PM by BillyB »

Offline rw_recruiter

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 03:22:41 PM »
Keep in mind, girls that work for agencies may have boyfriends. Evaluate how much time she spends with you and how much time she spends elsewhere.

She is passed out asleep in my bed right now while I catch up on work Billy.

Offline jone

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 03:25:52 PM »

You're already behind the curve. Dating internationally isn't like dating at home where you have the ability to date often so no rush. Before visiting a woman, a guy should've asked all the serious questions. Does she want to work or be a stay at home wife? Does she want children or not? Does she believe in God, abortion, or what kind of politics she favors? You shouldn't visit a woman without knowing what is in her head. You ask the deal breaker questions early so you don't have to waste a few thousand dollars on a first date. Once you figure out if your and her goals and dreams align, then you visit a woman to learn if there is chemistry and if she has good manners. Some women talk sweet to their man but plain rude to everybody else. As far as the photo album goes, before visiting my wife, we traded lots of photos of ourselves and family before meeting each other. That's what people who are interested in each other do. Share their lives with each other. You think it's weird? If she likes you, she will be happy you're interested in her life and she'd be happy to show you it.

International dating is unnatural. Most people back home wouldn't do it and think us that do it are crazy. Don't worry about haste. Girls over there will drop a man within days or even minutes if she feels he's not qualified to be her MAN. Guys have written trip reports crying in their room after the girl dumps them soon after they arrive. Hastily figure the girl out and whether or not you should dump her. Don't feel sorry for her because she's not going to feel sorry for you once she determines you aren't the ONE.

Keep in mind, girls that work for agencies may have boyfriends. Evaluate how much time she spends with you and how much time she spends elsewhere. If she doesn't have a job, she should be spending lots of time with you to learn if you're the man she wants to spend her life with.

The attitude she gives people she's upset with is the attitude you'll get when she's upset with you. A woman with good manners in any situation should be what you're looking for if you like a drama free relationship.

For god's sake, Billy, 

Let this guy tell his story and don't sit there pontificating like you tried to do with me.  I'm enjoying his trip report and can't see anything he's doing wrong. 
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline JayH

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »
For god's sake, Billy, 

Let this guy tell his story and don't sit there pontificating like you tried to do with me.  I'm enjoying his trip report and can't see anything he's doing wrong.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1901
Total: 1912

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM