It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: MEEST-THE best way to send anything to Ukraine or to Russia!  (Read 7867 times)

ChrisBfla

MEEST-THE best way to send anything to Ukraine or to Russia!
« on: January 05, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
Before my wife and I started using Meest, we knew our packages had a very good chance of not getting to her parents or her sister.  The mail was also expensive and very limited in terms of weight.  Then we found MEEST (means bridge in Ukrainian). This service is fantasitc!  We can send up to 70 lb. in a package by container boat.  The packages are then delivered by Meest trucking in Ukraine and after having sent a dozen very large packages with a good deal of high target items in them, I am pleased to say, they all arrived within 5 weeks of being shipped and unopened.

We use Meest Boston.  Although we have to send the packages there first by FED-EX ground or UPS, we find the owner, Roman Malko, to be great and we trust his ability.  You can Google "Meest Boston" to get to their site.

Happy 2009 to all!  Hope this is of some help!

Chris B.
www.freewebs.com/chrisbfla

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: MEEST-THE best way to send anything to Ukraine or to Russia!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:54:59 PM »
I have heard this too.  I have had two very poor experiences with FedEX (no delivery), one with DHL and one with the government postal system (also no delivery).  Most of my friends and business asscoiates here use them and advised me to do likewise.  Unfortunately, I am a hometown FedEx boy (Memphis) and they have a facility across the street from my home.  My family was reluctant to switch from FedEx due to loyalty.

Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Simoni

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:29:06 PM »
I have heard this too.  I have had two very poor experiences with FedEX (no delivery), one with DHL and one with the government postal system (also no delivery).  Most of my friends and business asscoiates here use them and advised me to do likewise.  Unfortunately, I am a hometown FedEx boy (Memphis) and they have a facility across the street from my home.  My family was reluctant to switch from FedEx due to loyalty.

I have had 100% success with the USPS. I have sent 30 parcels through the years.

We mailed two Christmas packages Dec 24 using USPS priority mail.  The cost was 30 something each.  FedEx wanted $200 per package!

The packages arrived in Ukraine to the doors of MIL and friend on Dec 31, well before Ukraine's Christmas.

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:37:07 AM »
I heve used both MEEST (20-70 lb) and USPS (10-40 lb) to send packages to Tver, Russia for the past few years (8-10 per year).  All have arrived successfully.

USPS is definitely much faster (~2 weeks), and ends up costing about the same as MEEST air delivery (which takes on average 4 weeks).

MEEST ground service (sea) is certainly cheaper, but delivery times are MUCH longer (nearly 12 weeks in some cases). 

In all cases, we have never had an issue with Customs, and never have needed to pay duty on a package.

There was a period of time where MEEST had suspended service to Russia.  This is when we switched to sending smaller, more frequent packages via USPS.  There is less stress involved using USPS, due to the shorter shipping time (less time to worry where the package is).

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 06:47:40 AM »
When I moved to Ukraine I used MEEST Boston to ship several large boxes of goods and all arrived as promised.  I have since used them many times and have never had a problem.  For smaller packages or when I'm in a hurry I have used the USPS and that works fine, too, but not for the larger items, and DHL/Fedex are very prohibitive in cost.  MEEST promisess delivery in 6-8 weeks but things invariably arrive in around 5 weeks shipped by sea.  I had one problem where a University was shipping me some donated medical books for the local university there and customs wanted to slap a duty on it.  One phone call to Roman Malko and he took care of things for me.

Offline dispozo

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 06:19:01 PM »
How about from Ukraine to the USA. Does Meest Boston?

I checked their website and I see shipping to other counties.

For moving cloths,books,dishes and other such things. No furniture.

Thanks
8/22/08 I-129F mailed VSC
8/23/08 I-129F arrives at VCS
8/25/08 NOA1
1/21/09 NOA2
2/11/09 Medical   Passed!!
2/23/09 Interview Passed!!!
3/7/09 Arrived in USA!!!
5/3/09 Married!!!!

Offline Tamara

• Commercial Member
  • Online Russian Teacher and Translator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:30:40 AM »
Thank you all for valuable advice.  I have used FeedEx, DHL and USPS to send to Russia.  Couple packages were lost and never delivered by USPS.  FedEx was really pricey.  I have never heard of MEEST and will start using them now.
http://www.PrimeLanguageServices.com
Live Online Russian Lessons and Certified Translations</b>

Offline Jumper

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »
Thank you,
 we have been looking for a good alternative to the usual carriers

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 08:42:51 AM »
How about from Ukraine to the USA. Does Meest Boston?

I checked their website and I see shipping to other counties.

For moving cloths,books,dishes and other such things. No furniture.

Thanks

My understanding is that yes thay ship both ways.  I also am wondering about shipments in that direction.
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Muddy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 02:50:09 PM »
I used Meet and it took much longer than USPS

I sent the 2 boxes to Meest in California on December 6
They sent the boxes to their main office in Toronto Canada on December 10
Their main office sent the boxes to Ukraine on December 12
The boxes arrived in Ukraine on December 24
The boxes were put on the truck for delivery on December 26 ( I think they were sent from Lvov to Odessa, I am not sure)
Today, January 6, you got them
See how long it took?? more than 1 month

Offline Muddy

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
By the way tracking packages on meest web site is very bad, they are very late in updating the information

I would rather use USPS, I always print an address label in russian for the box I am sending, don't write it in English. I have used USPS 6 times and had no problems

Tracking packages on USPS web site is much much better

I sent a package by USPS on 12/12 also and it took only 10 days Delivered Abroad, December 22, 2008, 3:40 pm, UKRAINE
 Out of Foreign Customs, December 19, 2008, 8:38 pm, UKRAINE
 Into Foreign Customs, December 18, 2008, 11:02 am, UKRAINE
 Arrived Abroad, December 18, 2008, 10:52 am, UKRAINE
 International Dispatch, December 13, 2008, 7:36 pm, ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
 Processed, December 12, 2008, 4:54 pm, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
 Acceptance, December 12, 2008, 10:06 am, IRVINE, CA 92623

Later I sent 2 packages by USPS and both took less than 7 days

Delivered Abroad, January 06, 2009, 3:40 pm, UKRAINE
 Out of Foreign Customs, January 04, 2009, 3:21 pm, UKRAINE
 Into Foreign Customs, January 04, 2009, 9:44 am, UKRAINE
 Arrived Abroad, January 04, 2009, 9:33 am, UKRAINE
 International Dispatch, December 31, 2008, 3:08 pm, ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
 Processed, December 30, 2008, 3:49 pm, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
 Acceptance, December 30, 2008, 2:54 pm, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
------------------------

Delivered Abroad, January 06, 2009, 3:40 pm, UKRAINE
 Out of Foreign Customs, January 04, 2009, 3:21 pm, UKRAINE
 Into Foreign Customs, January 04, 2009, 9:44 am, UKRAINE
 Arrived Abroad, January 04, 2009, 9:43 am, UKRAINE
 International Dispatch, December 31, 2008, 3:02 pm, ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS)
 Processed, December 30, 2008, 3:49 pm, SANTA ANA, CA 92799
 Acceptance, December 30, 2008, 2:51 pm, SANTA ANA, CA 92799

Offline Muddy

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 03:07:18 PM »
  There is less stress involved using USPS, due to the shorter shipping time (less time to worry where the package is).

I agree 100%

Tracking packages on USPS web site is also much better

The packages were delivered by Meest last Tuesday but still on their web site I dont see that information

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
Thank you all for valuable advice.  I have used FeedEx, DHL and USPS to send to Russia.  Couple packages were lost and never delivered by USPS.  FedEx was really pricey.  I have never heard of MEEST and will start using them now.

Thats bad news. I sent one almost 3 weeks ago and still no arrival. I sent it express USPS and the clerk said 10 working days. I pained over how I would sent that package.  :(

Offline groovlstk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 06:03:56 PM »
Thats bad news. I sent one almost 3 weeks ago and still no arrival. I sent it express USPS and the clerk said 10 working days. I pained over how I would sent that package.  :(

FP, if the destination was Russia, don't panic yet. I used to send lots of packages to Ukraine via USPS Global Express and they invariably arrived within 7 days. Russia is another matter, however: when my wife sends stuff to her family in Moscow via Global Express it usually takes a month to arrive. I don't understand why there's such a delay... but the good news is everything we've sent has arrived safe and sound.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 07:13:01 PM »
FP, if the destination was Russia, don't panic yet. I used to send lots of packages to Ukraine via USPS Global Express and they invariably arrived within 7 days. Russia is another matter, however: when my wife sends stuff to her family in Moscow via Global Express it usually takes a month to arrive. I don't understand why there's such a delay... but the good news is everything we've sent has arrived safe and sound.

Thanks groov,

Makes me feel better. It is to Russia. Into Siberia so I guess it could even take longer? I kept it as inconspicuous as possible. Plain paste board box. I even insured it for a much lesser amount to make it appear near worthless. Don't know how much good that'll do. I was advised that it was helpful. It's my first package sent to Russia

Offline Simoni

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:03 AM »
I don't understand why there's such a delay... but the good news is everything we've sent has arrived safe and sound.

I do.  They have been having their holidays the last 14 days in the FSU.  With New Year over yesterday (the 14th), services should return to normal.

FP-- I have sent over 50 packages to Russia and Ukraine over the last 8 years, and 100% made it, and typically within 10 business days.  Don't panic.

Offline dispozo

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 01:00:32 PM »

I sent a New Years card to a friend in Khabarovsk, Russia it took about a month. A little late, but they got it. :)
8/22/08 I-129F mailed VSC
8/23/08 I-129F arrives at VCS
8/25/08 NOA1
1/21/09 NOA2
2/11/09 Medical   Passed!!
2/23/09 Interview Passed!!!
3/7/09 Arrived in USA!!!
5/3/09 Married!!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1860
Total: 1871

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM