It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: American CCs in Ukraine  (Read 4341 times)

drsecu

American CCs in Ukraine
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:06:02 AM »
I'm leaving for Ukraine tomorrow and had unlocked my credit card for travel and the first purchase was declined (booking a tour), so I decided to travel unlock my other credit card today.  Ukraine is on the OSAC List? and card issuer said it could not be unlocked for Ukraine, but they did it for Turkey.  BB&T is the issuer.  I'm fairly concerned now.  I'm guessing I should increase the amount of cash I am carrying.  I haven't figured out what is wrong with the first card so far, I really don't have a way to confirm if it works or not until I get there.

Alternatively is there a simple solution for carrying cash on you security (something that can be bought at Walmart or Target, drug store). 

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: American CCs in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
Too late, now PERHAPS ...

Can you buy a pre-paid Debit / Credit card from a bank / travel agency ?

You transfer funds to the card from a US bank account and it is designed for overseas use..

YES, you pay a small percent when loading and drawing CASH, - may be even a small foreign currency fee - but they are RARELY blocked...

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »
Most prepaid cards will not work once you leave the US so be careful.

Greendot I think will work overseas, you can grab one at Walmart or Walgreens. Just need to set it up and verify with your social, etc.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:09 PM »
Alternatively is there a simple solution for carrying cash on you security (something that can be bought at Walmart or Target, drug store).

I've seen fake cans of shaving cream or of other products that secretly hold cash. I would keep any items hiding cash in your carry on. I kept some cash in the wallet and in each pocket. I also had a belt with a zipper on the inside that I could insert seven bills or up to $700. If you know somebody back home, educate them on how to send money western union. I've read stories here where people were robbed by strangers or the girls boyfriend, after getting hit on the head and knocked out or by the girls themselves. If the girl gets you hot and horny and she asks you to take a shower after you drop your pants, take your pants with you. One guy came out  of the shower to find his pants, wallet and the girl missing.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
Real simple.  Notify your Bank (not credit card) that you are going overseas and they should distribute through ATMs.   Then take $2000 with you in cash which typically will cover all situations for a couple of weeks.  If you feel inclined to buy your woman that Sable Coat she needs to stay warm this winter, because her current coat is threadbare, you can take money out from successive bank's ATMs and get the money you need.  (Plan this over a three or four day run if the Sable coat is slightly higher than your daily limit.)

Oh, and don't forget to tip the cabbies.  They get at least twenty percent in Ukraine, or they will think you are greedy American.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 03:24:07 PM »
*I*  take b all cash when travelling abroad  - as when it is 'lost/ stolen / you are robbed '- it is GONE...  FAR better to tip up and get /  draw local currency there.

'Tipping' Taxi drivers ?

http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-ukraine

Offline ML

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 08:30:46 PM »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline rw_recruiter

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 11:04:03 PM »
http://www.whototip.net/tipping-in-ukraine

I could be wrong but am pretty sure you are expected to tip waitstaff in Ukraine. Especially in a more touristy city, no?

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 01:40:00 AM »
I could be wrong but am pretty sure you are expected to tip waitstaff in Ukraine. Especially in a more touristy city, no?

Follow my advice -- I do know what I am talking about.

I was not going to comment on the Moby   BS article -- ML already pointed out the ignorance of the author.

fwiw  -- discounting alcohol ( which can often have ludicrous $ numbers attached for those silly enough to pay)  you can eat well at less than UAH500 a head . Often that is for 2 including non alcoholic drinks and coffee. Given that equals USD$20 .
If the service was good I would  tip 10% -- if less so -half that.
Odessa is more big city sophistication and while you will not get tripped over in leaving without tipping -- a decent tip ( not ridiculous btw--most girls tend to watch carefully how you handle this--  sometimes my lady will reduce the size of tip if she was not happy about something !! ) will see you well looked after on return.
Given that  10% in my example above is about USD$2 -- not a time to be greedy !

While I am at it-- on taxis-- if you get the right guy--tip him. Get his number -- and make him your personal driver . It can make a lot of things much easier.
Also!! Try and call or book taxi direct --even at Odessa airport the chancers may try it on. I dont have a price -- but at a guess -- anything over UAH100 would be excessive.
Recently at Kyiv Zhuliany--I was waiting for my organised driver ( at agreed price of  UAH 90) he was delayed in traffic jam . As I was waiting I started chatting to driver on "official" area for taxis waiting --he was in fact the boss of the company with the airport rights.His price ( & all the others there) was UAH450 . The touts are moved on at Zhuliany -- so the only way to beat that price is to call your own company.
I am guessing that is much the same at Boryspil -- where there are many non official touts -- who are still looking for plenty !
To finish--my driver arrived-- after sending 3sms updates on his progress -- and then we got caught in traffic on return trip.His price remained the same! Anyone need his number--pm me.

One last last point-- deal and think in UAH--  not $USD . Lear how to do the equation fast-- approx 25 to 1  --anyone that says  xxx dollars probably has xx too many in deal !!

a ps I do agree with Moby on not carrying excess cash . You can trade USD$cash 24/7 in Odessa easily . Secondly-- advise your bank and use ATM's. Privat Bank ATM has English option( & other banks also).
Most places will accept credit cards these days ( not AMEX or DC but VISA & M/C are ok most places)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:49:08 AM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline jone

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
It is important to tip your taxi driver.  I remember Larry writing about one that was a taxi driver that his date suggested.  He was a great driver.  Don't know why Larry's date hit him, though, when he was admiring some of the local talent.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:19:50 PM »
If you're using the same driver, then tip him.  If it's just a random taxi, no need to tip.  My husband never tips taxi drivers in Ukraine.  In restaurants, hand the tip to your server as otherwise, he/she may not see it.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JayH

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 03:10:10 PM »
If you're using the same driver, then tip him.  If it's just a random taxi, no need to tip.  My husband never tips taxi drivers in Ukraine.  In restaurants, hand the tip to your server as otherwise, he/she may not see it.

Agree -- if the driver has been pleasant or helpful in any way --at the least I will tell him to keep the change. That is more on longer trips ( eg from airport) . If the driver is on time,has to wait etc  I would definitely tip him.

On restaurants and waiting staff -- I commented in the last few days on this ---  even if you pay by credit card -- tip the waiting staff in cash directly &  do not presume they will see any of it left in general bill .

Part of a point made often here -- do not appear as a arrogant condescending more money than sense western guy throwing money around to "impress" anyone -be discrete and respectful . And equally as bad -- do not behave as a "greedy" western man !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:12 AM »
Very authoritative since it refers to 'the Ukraine' and Kiev.

Ah, that's what I get for posting when trying to stay awake on a long lay-over..... busted ... my bad !

drsecu

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
My primary debit card worked fine, tried it first day at a restaurant to make sure but I barely used it after that.  I think I took $1200 or so cash and did not spend much of it.  Ended up staying in Ukraine for 19 days, amazing experience, in Kyiv, Lviv, staying with a family in a smaller city, and staying at a farmhouse in a remote area (without water, etc).  Felt like I got to experience all of Ukraine, met a lot of people and asked a lot of questions, and learned a lot.  I feel like I could write a book but I have 3 weeks of missed work to catch up on.  Many things (life/living and women) were a lot different than what I had expected from reading here.  Will start a trip thread.

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:19 AM »
My goodness it Is a large country - by European stds  - and you have lots more to see ))

Don't work so hard that you forget us !

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2017, 09:40:55 AM »
drsecu, if you were English like me & Moby I would say definitely don't tip anyone, we're tight b'stards and well known for it  :D No seriously, I never tip taxi drivers, I pay them enough if its equaled out across the times with the ones that overcharged as they saw I was stuck for other options such as at airports.

Well, after my second trip to Odessa I decided to get a travel wallet, portrait style, a nice leather one, slimline (not the blockish ones) with internal zip up inside, that way I can hide a lot of cash from prying eyes. It has open compartments leafs at the side to hold a few notes for easy payment for taxi drivers, etc and plenty of slots for debit/credit cards and large enough to hold passports, small coins compartment, etc. During my Odessa trip I spent time travelling without a Ukrainian girl and it became obvious to me oping up the usual square fold up wallet most of us use as standard was really not a good idea, every time I opened it a wad of cash was on display for all to to. My new travel wallet I love and now just use it all the time it is so handy. Pockets that zip up on trousers also handy but not easy to find in a decent style. BillyB also makes good suggestions if you suspect even more covert measures may be necessary, i.e the girl you are seeing or the place you are going.

Credit cards, I now have three, was two during my third trip but found they can get blocked on online sites out there then it becomes difficult knowing what sort of physical access you have from then from cash machines, ticket terminals, even debit cards can suffer from this problem. Going with a card from a well know big finance organisation can help as well as they can have better coverage as will informing them in advance. Trying to contact them by email or phone over there I found difficult. I would say still keep a fair bit of cash handy but don't over do it as having your access to money cut off over there is not a good place to be, so make sure you're not just relying on one or two cards.   
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:04 AM »
drsecu, if you were English like me & Moby

I might be British  / Irish - dual citizenship - but I'm NOT bloody English - can't you get ANYTHING right ?  ;)

Credit cards, I now have three, was two during my third trip but found they can get blocked on online sites out there then it becomes difficult knowing what sort of physical access you have from then from cash machines, ticket terminals, even debit cards can suffer from this problem. Going with a card from a well know big finance organisation can help as well as they can have better coverage as will informing them in advance. Trying to contact them by email or phone over there I found difficult. I would say still keep a fair bit of cash handy but don't over do it as having your access to money cut off over there is not a good place to be, so make sure you're not just relying on one or two cards.

IF you paid attention you'd have learnt that my UK banks rarely block my online transactions - in the FSU - there was a time - when many online Russian transactions didn't work - still don't work when trying to pay my mobile phone / internet ((  . I simply login to my UK bank - having set up a VPN VPN, first and when buying tickets for air travel - do the same ..

NEVER had a problem drawing cash or contacting my bank ...in any FSU country. 

Get yourself a Talktalk connection at home - then use their Talktalk to go app - calls to UK numbers are free for the first 59 mins and 59 secs and billed to the home phone AND you can receive calls made to home - no diversion costs .....  ALL you need is a local sim with internet

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701