It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: McDonald's 'temporarily closes' Crimea restaurants  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
McDonald's 'temporarily closes' Crimea restaurants
« on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:52 AM »
The aftershocks to the Russian conquest of Crimea continue.  I've never understood why McDonald's is popular in FSU.  The bathrooms are clean though.  And the cashiers don't give you the stink eye when you pay with a bill that requires them to give you lots of change back.  At least the one time I've ever been to a McDonald's in FSU.

McDonald's 'temporarily closes' Crimea restaurants

McDonald's has suspended work at its three Crimean restaurants following ongoing diplomatic tensions in the region.

The company said that it would try to support staff, and hopes to re-open its restaurants as soon as possible.

The firm is the second in the Crimea to alter its operations after heightened tensions between Russia and the west.

Deutsche Post said on Thursday that it was no longer accepting letters for Crimea.

"Due to operational reasons beyond our control, McDonald's has taken the decision to temporarily close our three restaurants in Simferopol, Sevastopol and Yalta," McDonald's said.

A Reuters report said that the company had offered to relocate staff who wished to move to Ukraine.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26882704

Hat tip to econblogger extraordinaire Dr. Tyler Cowen at http://marginalrevolution.com/marginalrevolution/2014/04/assorted-links-1097.html

I can think of a Russian bumper sticker to commemorate the country's invasion:

Crimea, a place so nice we conquered it twice!

Offline Larry1

Zhirinovsky was quick to respond to the closure of McDonald's in Crimea:

McDonald's restaurants should be closed throughout Russia, Zhirinovsky says

Russia's notorious politician, the leader of the Liberal and Democratic Party of Russia, LDPR, Vladimir Zhirinovsky, wants all McDonald's restaurants in Moscow and throughout Russia closed.

"McDonald's has closed its restaurants in the Crimea - this is very good. Now it needs to close all restaurants in Russia. I ordered the teams of municipal organizations of LDPR to put pickets in front of all McDonald's restaurants in Moscow and across the country. They should get out of the country ... as soon as possible," Zhirinovsky told reporters.

"We will close them across the country and then proceed to Pepsi," he added...

http://english.pravda.ru/news/russia/04-04-2014/127270-mcdonalds_zhirinovsky-0/

Offline Steamer

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: McDonald's 'temporarily closes' Crimea restaurants
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 05:45:00 AM »
Well I'll bet that will grind Russia and McDonalds to a standstill.  :rolleyes:
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline CDW

• Opted-Out
  • Spouse's Country: Other Eastern Europe
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 05:49:37 AM »
McDonald's are for FAT girls...... you don't see much in Ukraine.  It is business sense!!

LOL   just kidding!!
I am an X-MEN called "WOVO Man"

Offline cojack

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
Franchisee is probably Ukrainian.  Banks in Crimea have to switch to Russia and McDonald's is probably talking to it's Russian franchisees to see who will purchase the franchises from the Ukrainian.  The same goes for any company in Crimea who do not want to do business in Russia.  A lot of people got laid off their jobs for this knee jerk referendum.

Offline die_cast

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 01:03:11 AM »
Soon we will have McDonald's and KFC in my city too (this year).
It seems they are not going to leave Russia... Why they don't support sanctions?  :arguing:
- А если я скажу какую-нибудь глупость?
- Скажи с уверенным лицом, тогда это называется точка зрения (с)

Offline Larry1

Burger King to open restaurants in Crimea
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »
McDonald's closed its three restaurants in Crimea but Burger King is stepping in to fill the fast food void:

Burger King to open in Crimea as McDonalds pulls out

While the world’s cartographers puzzle over which country the Crimean peninsula should be included in, fast food chain Burger King has swiftly taken advantage of its greatest rival’s unexpected retreat from the peninsula.

The American fast food chain Burger King is planning to open for business in Crimea, where in early April one of its main competitors - the McDonald's chain - suspended its work. "We plan to enter Crimea,” said Dmitry Medovy, the general director of Burger King Russia, in statements reported by ITAR-TASS...

"The fact that Burger King has a higher pricing policy than that of the [region’s] former McDonalds [restaurants] is unlikely to affect the company's plans in Crimea,” says the Gazprobank analyst Vitaly Baikin.

“The opening of Burger King outlets in Crimea is unlikely to have a significant effect on the income of the business Russia-wide. Strategically, it is rather an image-focused project. This is a good PR move, and Crimea has probably become attractive to Burger King from this point of view," said Baikin.
Currently there are no Burger King restaurants in Crimea, though the chain operates around 200 restaurants in Russia.

http://rbth.com/business/2014/04/10/burger_king_to_open_in_crimea_as_mcdonalds_pulls_out_35819.html

The article goes on to mention that none of the three McDonald's restaurants were franchises.

Soon we will have McDonald's and KFC in my city too (this year).

KFC makes very good fried chicken. I love the colonel's 11 herbs and spices in the original recipe variety fried chicken.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:04:38 PM »
Larry, you have absolutely no appreciation for the finer things in life.  Everyone knows that Extra Crispy is the way to go!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Larry1

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 01:09:06 PM »
Larry, you have absolutely no appreciation for the finer things in life.  Everyone knows that Extra Crispy is the way to go!

I eat extra crispy only if they're out of original recipe.  mmm, thinking about KFC has been making me hungry. I'm going to pick up a bucket of chicken for dinner tonight.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »
"...McDonald's restaurants should be closed throughout Russia, Zhirinovsky says..."

Already you can easily see *positive* things emanating from the crisis.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline die_cast

Re: Burger King to open restaurants in Crimea
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 12:07:59 AM »
Burger King
Oh, and BK we will have here too. It seems we have fast-food invasion!  :D

Offline die_cast

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 12:09:29 AM »
"...McDonald's restaurants should be closed throughout Russia, Zhirinovsky says..."
Zhirinovsky says a lot of things, most of them is nonsense. Just don't pay attention.  ;)

Offline Larry1

Looks like Burger King won't be opening in Crimea
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 08:06:31 AM »
Since I posted the news that Burger King would be opening restaurants in Crimea I felt obligated to note this correction.  They don't have plans to open restaurants in Crimea after all.

Burger King Denies Plans to Expand Into Crimea

Burger King Worldwide reached out Thursday to quash reports that the fast food chain's Russian franchise operator would expand to Crimea, which Russia recently annexed from Ukraine.

On Wednesday, Burger King Russia CEO Dmitry Medovy told news agency Itar Tass: "We are planning to open in Crimea, but I cannot say when exactly it will happen or how many outlets the company will have."

... On Thursday Bryson Thornton, communications director for Burger King Worldwide, slapped down the news. "Neither Burger King Worldwide, nor any of its franchisees, have plans to open Burger King restaurants in Crimea," he wrote in an email.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/burger-king-denies-plans-to-expand-into-crimea/497906.html

My best guess is that the Russian franchisee who announced plans to open restaurants in Crimea was overruled by Burger King Worldwide.  Maybe someone from the tax authority here (IRS) called Burger King officials.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541012
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1910
Total: 1921

+-Recent Posts

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM