It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Does speaking fluent Russian give you a better chance at success?  (Read 8557 times)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Does speaking fluent Russian give you a better chance at success?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »
... grammatically incorrect, hillbilly English.

Yup, that therz mi nativ tung shur'nuff.

Seriously though, I have learned some Russian through songs and comic books..
If you want to become a diplomat/embassy/state department/KGB in Russia then of course you must learn to speak fluent Russian.

Boe, I wonder, can you converse also with Belorussians or Polish or other Eastern Europe dialects?
Also here's something I found...
According to a study done by the Belarusian government in 2009, 72% of Belarusians speak Russian at home, while Belarusian is used by only 11.9% of Belarusians. 29.4% of Belarusians can write, speak, and read Belarusian, while 52.5% can only read and speak it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_language
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
Boe, I wonder, can you converse also with Belorussians or Polish or other Eastern Europe dialects?
Also here's something I found...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarusian_language

I can understand them, and I could likely make myself understood by a native speaker if I had to in a pinch, but I don't speak either.  Belarussian has some words that Ukrainians use that Russians don't.  When the better half was serving in the Chernobyl' zone, they would often cross into Belarus.  He could tell by the signs, which he understood, but his fellow soldiers, all from Donbas, could not.  He also told me that there is a strong Polish influence in Western Belarus, just west of Grodno.

The better half can understand all Slavic languages fluently, and speaks most of them.  He says Ukrainian was the "key" to all these languages, as it is sort of in the middle.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 12:36:41 AM »
He also told me that there is a strong Polish influence in Western Belarus, just west of Grodno.

As Grodno is 5 miles ( 8km) from the border (as the crow flies) - hardly surprising;)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Does speaking fluent Russian give you a better chance at success?
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »

TwoBitBandit's ears are burning!

I didn't see you come back or I would have posted something.

But also consider this: do you really want to understand the woman you're dating? 
If you want to understand her parents, her friends, her extended family and colleagues and her relationship with them, you're going to need Russian.

You're going to need a common language, like Russian (or English).

Obviously, I took an unusual path. 

I always wanted to discuss that, but with the entire peanut gallery on two forums
attacking you, I didn't want to be piling on.

My theory is that you were using visit one tactics while visiting many. 

I've been living in Russia for several years now, so I find Russian immensely useful. 

You are probably gun shy after the last trip report but a living life as an expatriot blog
would be pretty helpful for the guys thinking or even day dreaming about doing it.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

I've been living in Russia for several years now, so I find Russian immensely useful. 

Well duh !!!

I am one who has always argued against the man spending time learning Russian, as it is usually the case that the man and FSU woman will be living in the west.

But I also always said that the exception would be if the man planned to live in or spend considerable time in FSU.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »

Well duh !!!

I am one who has always argued against the man spending time learning Russian, as it is usually the case that the man and FSU woman will be living in the west.

But I also always said that the exception would be if the man planned to live in or spend considerable time in FSU.

You forget us men who do know other languages fluently (not Russian yet)
That actually enjoy learning a new one,woukd like our children to be bilingual, woukd like to speak with them in both languages, woukd like to be able to hold at least a basic conversation with our extended families, that we acceoted as our own at marriage.

I'm not saying it's crucial, or that you're wrong, but you leave out a whole lot of good reasons to at least attempt it.

I don't regret a minute if time I've spent learning any amount if any language I have a grasp of.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:51 AM »
I agree with the Bandit and Bo, and others. Learning as much Russian as possible is helpful. For one, just the brain activity itself when learning a second language is very useful. Some say that it helps to prevent dementia, etc.

But more importantly is the ability to at least show some common respect to a spouse. Her native tongue is the language of love. When you can have an intimate conversation, such as stepping into the kitchen and greeting her in the morning with some well meant phrases, shows respect and admiration for her.

I have been around many mixed company groups and am sometimes have felt embarrassed for a man when the ladies are openly speaking about him, including his wife, and he is clueless about how badly the conversation is going.

Conversely (great tennis shoe, by the way), I have witnessed conversations where the man has made some effort and even if not fluent, those wives are often very proud that their man is making the effort. They obviously are pleased with such men. And you know what happens when women are pleased......
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline msmob

« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 11:38:25 AM »

Conversely (great tennis shoe, by the way), I have witnessed conversations where the man has made some effort and even if not fluent, those wives are often very proud that their man is making the effort. They obviously are pleased with such men. And you know what happens when women are pleased......

More golden tips, from Mendy

I would never have met and learnt about the FSU from the wonderful folk I have encountered without the patience of those trying to teach me some Russian

Certainly, when I made contact with a lady on a dating site and they heard my 'Russian'...it was an ice breaker)

Offline JayH

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2018, 01:05:24 AM »
More golden tips, from Mendy

I would never have met and learnt about the FSU from the wonderful folk I have encountered without the patience of those trying to teach me some Russian

Certainly, when I made contact with a lady on a dating site and they heard my 'Russian'...it was an ice breaker)

Yeah--getting people laughing is a huge plus !! ;D
My comment is directed at my lack of ability Moby -- and not your Russian ! ;D
Funny you mention patience -- because it is not something most would attribute to  FSUW -- but I have seen that too.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 05:18:48 AM »
Yeah--getting people laughing is a huge plus !! ;D
My comment is directed at my lack of ability Moby -- and not your Russian ! ;D
Funny you mention patience -- because it is not something most would attribute to  FSUW -- but I have seen that too.

Don't worry, JayH ! ..I got it ;)

Yup, being able to make folk laugh  - is so vital

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1865
Total: 1876

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM