It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First date with language barrier  (Read 6819 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: First date with language barrier
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2018, 04:34:55 AM »

Offline Jamesukjames

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 04:50:55 AM »
Not at all I would say 90 per cent Ukranian on the beach.  10 per cent British and others.  I was there Ukranian school half term.  Snorkling  was great.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 04:54:07 AM »
In fact we may go to Cyprus to marry in orthodox church as I really don't understand but Ukranain and Russian churches have fallen out with each other in Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 04:58:16 AM »
In fact we may go to Cyprus to marry in orthodox church as I really don't understand but Ukranain and Russian churches have fallen out with each other in Ukraine

I got married in CY - not in a Church - as it was my 2nd marriage ..

Easy for Brits..Ukrainians need a letter from their embassy proving no impediment to marriage

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2018, 05:02:19 AM »
How long ago.  Tell me more please.  2nd marriage for both of us.  Both thought we never wanted to do marriage again .  G f and I have a long journey ahead as the plan is to relocate to g b and then I will support her as she 're qualifies.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 05:03:55 AM »
Msmob were you a Cyprus resident at the time

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 05:05:42 AM »
Msmob I guess from the flag you are now in southern Ireland ?

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2018, 05:13:19 AM »
I'm totally not up to speed on second marriages as it was about the last thing I was thinking of but when suddenly the best of the best wanders into your life maybe I should take the gamble.

Offline msmob

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2018, 05:21:00 AM »
Just a thought we are going WAY off topic , I have a thread about FSU W and Cyprus

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22570.msg478682#msg478682

May I respond there ?

Offline GenMish

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2018, 07:14:37 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm specifically wondering how one can have a great first date with the language barrier.

I know a minor amount of Ukrainian as I have been studying and learning but, as any language, it'll take a long time to really hold a fluent conversation.

Anyone have any suggestions from experience?

thanks

Timeout, aren't you 'new guy' and qualified his relationship as already dating via videochats?

Translation apps can be helpful, but can be frustrating too. If this is really important to you, hire a translator for your first few dates

another suggestion, you can 3 way a skype call with a translator also

Commercial break
I know a young man in Moscow that is incredibly gifted in languages. His English is better than mine, let alone other languages. If I were the CEO of a multi national dealing with the FSU, I would hire this guy for staff in an instant. He is that good. He just doesn't just translate, he tells you what they really mean also. Anyone that has done business or even social translations knows what a Russian says and what they mean are sometimes two different things

His official rate is $40/hr, $65 for simultaneous translation. he will negotiate rates, but he is more than worth his official rate. If anybody wants his Viber, message me

commercial over

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2018, 07:50:08 AM »
Sorry you can't beat a paper pad and pen.  You would be amazed what those stick men get up to .  And if it all starts going a little off key she should have waited until you finished drawing.  I've had 2 relationships that worked that way lots of smiling pointing and stick men.  It's so much faster than Google translate  you can have all kinds of private conversations in public and it's like a fun Xmas game.  I communicate with my g f son with my basic 30 words hand signals and stick drawings.  They may be humoring me but they seem to love it.  I guess it depends if you want a formal life style or a laugh but I like my women fun.

Offline ML

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2018, 09:22:07 AM »
Plus she's 38 and people ask her if she's a student, even women she meets through work, so it's not a man thing.

My spouse is considerably older than 38 . . . and a student . . .  a very good one !!!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2018, 09:35:57 AM »
Sure but when you're in an airport looking for a 38 year old your not looking for someone who looks early 20s

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
Not to high jack your thread.  First time I met present gf in airport in Cyprus I couldn't find my date so used whats app to connect.  I could see this person who looked like a supermodel playing with her phone.  Whats app video had no way prepared me for this meeting.  Luckily for me she's such a sweet natured person we've been having a ball since.  She organises the bus to take me from Kiev to her home town  and when there I'm looked after so well I have to remember to man up and find some chores to do.

You did!! over a dozen posts need be removed for cluttering thread!!

Including this one!!

Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2018, 11:36:34 AM »
Jmoore, in your intro thread you spoke of how you send texts everyday and video chatted a couple times a week. May ask how you communicated on video? Looked at video and waved???

Are you sending texts on apps like viber, WhatsApp or skype?

I can understand frustrations trying to communicate solely using translation apps. I know sometimes hard to get a point across and even at end you give up.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline BillyB

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »
Jmoore, in your intro thread you spoke of how you send texts everyday and video chatted a couple times a week.

Hopefully it's not through the agency UADreams he's used. Sounds like he's going to use an agency interpreter during his visit. He may have even bought their tour package. Hard to know if a woman likes a guy when using an agency that may pay the girls commission to lure men to using the company's services.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
First date with language barrier
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
I'm specifically wondering how one can have a great first date with the language barrier.

You will need a translator if she speaks zero English. She probably studied it in school
and knows more than she realizes. My first trip was to meet a girl who spoke zero English.
I hired my own translator, rented my own apartment and made all my own arrangements.

After my first trip I decided that I would only meet girls who knew some English and preferably
more. A girl in love will study like cRaZy, and she will find a way to communicate with you.

There are two schools of thought on searching for girls who have some ability with English.
School of thought number one is to ONLY date English speakers, that way you can communicate
all the complicated matters that need to be communicated during meeting and due diligence phase.

The second school of thought is that you widen the net further by contacting any and all speakers
and that you can find a sincere woman who might have been ignored by others because of her
language skills (or lack thereof).

If you go with school of thought number two then you will need to help her get her English up to
par while you are dating her. That includes hiring a tutor, paying for books etc. If things don't work
out that money is gone down the drain.

Back in the old forum days this was a huge point of argument between the two camps.
If you did some searching I am sure you could find long detailed arguments about all the
various points and counterpoints.

Always arrange for your own translator and never use the agency translator.
It's not in the agencies best interest that either you or the girl get married
and live happily ever after.

I agree with learning Russian rather than Ukrainian. There are probably
250+ million fluent Russian speakers vs 40+ million who speak fluent
Ukrainian.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2018, 05:24:56 PM »
One important reminder about RW speaking English and it probably applies to UW, is that outside of major cities in the smaller cities and towns the number of women who have conversational or better English language skills is going to drop drastically. Most of the smaller cities and towns lack teachers who have native fluency in English and the Russian trained English language teachers are of lower quality. Just a fact of life.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2018, 06:23:09 PM »
I agree with learning Russian rather than Ukrainian. There are probably 250+ million fluent Russian speakers vs 40+ million who speak fluent Ukrainian.

He is going to meet a particular woman who happens to be Ukrainian. He’s not looking to meet many women.

Further, if a person wishes to learn other Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Czech, Slovak), it's easier to learn all these languages with a "base" of Ukrainian.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:59:45 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline ML

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
Further, if a person wishes to learn other Slavic languages (Russian, Polish, Czech, Slovak), it's easier to learn all these languages with a "base" of Ukrainian.

Good point, which my spouse has also stated.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 05:56:47 PM »

Don't know if Jmoore will be back but he should read the reviews below of the agency, UADreams, he's used. It's fantasy land there with girls pushing interpreter services.

http://www.trustpilot.com/review/uadreams.com
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1884
Total: 1895

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM