It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 447070 times)

Online Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Some wonderful news ... A lady ..106 years young ..came through this ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-52296196

A 106-year-old great-grandmother, thought to be Britain's oldest patient to recover from coronavirus, has been discharged from hospital.

Oh a possible candidate for a new relationship partner for you then Mobe :-*
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Before we get too excited about perhaps lower death rates from Corona and thoughts that the shut downs were unnecessary . . .

Realize that the above is because of the shutdowns and social distancing.

I agree, it looks like there is a real threat of this virus coming back as idiot governments talk of easing restrictions. In Germany they are talking of reopening some schools. The Tour de France has been moved to late August and that usually draws big crowds in France, etc. I see it as easing the wrong type of restrictions. Fine to allow most businesses to operate with a strict laid out social distancing policy but to relax restrictions to allow for stuff that will likely cause a lot of intermingling is sheer stupidity to my mind. If they do go ahead with this stuff a second rise in cases looks likely.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Focus on the Future – Going to Work for America

The Washington Post obtained a preliminary copy of the Federal plan to reopen America.   Entitled "Work for America," it is being prepared by FEMA and CDC.  Trump is silent on when the plan will be released, yet he said today "Big day tomorrow.  Very big day." 

The plan is prefaced by the statement:

The Framework for Reopening America provides guidance to state, local, tribal, and territorial governments to adjust restrictive community mitigation measures in a controlled way that supports the safe reopening of communities when appropriate, supporting Americans reentering civic life.

The plan starts with the explanation of why it is "Important to the American People."

It consists of three parts:

1: Prepare the Nation (now-May 1)
2: Innovation and Ingenuity Applied to Pandemic (now – May 15)
3: Staged Re-Opening (varies by local conditions – not before May 1)

The document says reopening communities in this phased approach “will entail a significant risk of resurgence of the virus.”  Any reopening must meet four conditions:

-  Incidence of infection is “genuinely low.”
     -  A “well functioning” monitoring system capable of “promptly detecting any increase in incidence” of infection.
     -  A public health system that is “reacting robustly” to all cases of covid-19 and has surge capacity to react to an increase in cases.
     -  A health system that has enough inpatient beds and staffing to rapidly scale up and deal with a surge in cases.

The plan can be found here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/context/focus-on-the-future-going-to-work-for-america/89ccccbc-7bf0-48d3-8f0c-275494a3b009/?itid=lk_interstitial_manual_7

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Predictably, it's pestered with disclaimer. Going back to work can't be any more dangerous than what our healthcare workers face 12-hours everyday.

Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Gator

GOVERNMENT STIMULUS

It is a slow day in the small town of Pumphandle, and streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit. 

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the second floor rooms to pick one.  As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to cover his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves. No one produced anything. No one earned anything...

However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how a Stimulus package works.

Offline ML

There is a logic flaw in that story . . . but I can't immediately identify it.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves. No one produced anything. No one earned anything...

It's a fun story but everybody in the town did produce something and earned something although it wasn't money. For example, in the hooker provided a service but she got use of a motel room in exchange. the motel owner gave up use of a motel room and got pork to eat. Fortunately debts were settled quickly after the motel owner was able to borrow $100 with no interest. The only person to get screwed out of all this was the government. They like when money moves through hands since they can tax the money each time it moves.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
That is how a stimulus package works for low income and/or high debt individuals.  And for the concept of cash flow economics.
 hey spend the money because they have to.

In a real scenario, several of the people would bank the money, especially during an economic downturn.  The hotel owner, the butcher, the farmer or the coop owner would hold on to cash reserves for a financial buffer.

Another scenario: A small business owner gets the stimulus relief, pays the employee, the employee pays rent, and the rental property owner keeps the cash to invest in a new property in the near future because real estate prices might fall.   Or, the money goes to the bank for mortgage.  And it stops there, to go the bank shareholders.  Cash goes in, and then is pulled out of circulation.

National Debt 0, some real property owner, 1.

Offline BC

Focus on the Future – Going to Work for America

Gator,

It is indeed good that a plan is being worked on.  But considering we are still at our peak with new daily infections and may well even be undercounting, do you really think the time is 'ripe' to announce a plan based on a tiny flicker at the end of the tunnel?  Seems very, very premature at this point with very little supporting data.  Comparative charts just don't show a decline yet so it is very much up in the air.  In addition, the ratio of tests per day vs infections detected is still very high in the US compared to those on the other side of the Atlantic.

Of 110,000 tests daily 25% are coming up positive, a very high rate still.  Here out of 43,000 tests yesterday, 2,600 new were positive which is still a lot of infections.  The US is several weeks behind Italy and other EU countries with a perceptible drop with new cases nowhere in sight.  I agree the US may well be at the peak, but how long that peak lasts is very much up in the air, without a definite and substantiated trend, much less a prognosis on when it might be safe to lift some restrictions.

I cannot see any of the scientific and medical advisors giving a green light.  Will Trump listen? (I do give him credit for listening and reluctantly acting up till now, but do get the feeling he is not patient enough to wait and running out of folks to blame.

Offline jone

Gator,

It is indeed good that a plan is being worked on.  But considering we are still at our peak with new daily infections and may well even be undercounting, do you really think the time is 'ripe' to announce a plan based on a tiny flicker at the end of the tunnel?  Seems very, very premature at this point with very little supporting data.  Comparative charts just don't show a decline yet so it is very much up in the air.  In addition, the ratio of tests per day vs infections detected is still very high in the US compared to those on the other side of the Atlantic.

Of 110,000 tests daily 25% are coming up positive, a very high rate still.  Here out of 43,000 tests yesterday, 2,600 new were positive which is still a lot of infections.  The US is several weeks behind Italy and other EU countries with a perceptible drop with new cases nowhere in sight.  I agree the US may well be at the peak, but how long that peak lasts is very much up in the air, without a definite and substantiated trend, much less a prognosis on when it might be safe to lift some restrictions.

I cannot see any of the scientific and medical advisors giving a green light.  Will Trump listen? (I do give him credit for listening and reluctantly acting up till now, but do get the feeling he is not patient enough to wait and running out of folks to blame.

BC,

Your point is well taken.  However, one thing about the US is that we are quite diverse.   What is good for New Jersey does not necessarily hold true in Oregon.   While there is an infection in the State of California, the number hospitalized is minimal.  And the deaths we have had here are also quite limited for the size of our state.

My personal feeling is that school children will not be returning to classrooms before the expected summer break.  The online classes that are being offered do not create risk and therefore will suffice until the year end.  Sports teams may play each other for television audiences without a risk of infecting large stadium crowds.   

These types of decisions are the ones that will need to be plotted out even with an ongoing threat.  My guess is that if California's case load remains manageable, then we will see small steps to reopen society.   And these steps may be the only ones that are taken prior to the advent of a vaccine.   I don't think any of us know when that might be.  Johnson and Johnson will not begin testing of their vaccine until September.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BC

BC,

Your point is well taken.  However, one thing about the US is that we are quite diverse.   What is good for New Jersey does not necessarily hold true in Oregon.   

The same applies here, with cities in the south being less affected by those in the north.  We tried attempting to contain hotspots and failed miserably.  The only solution was to apply restrictions for all, even the little town out in the middle of nowhere that has not seen even one case. Same will likely apply for reducing restrictions to help prevent rebounds and new hotspots.

Massive testing is the only way to speed the process and maintain a manageable level of cases.  I do not see that on the US agenda despite clearly having the capability and capacity to do so.  I don't see a national 'will'.  Italian airspace is practically empty aside from cargo aircraft.  How many passenger arrivals at LAX and SFO today?  How many control stations at border highways and city limits?

Let's not get caught again with our pants down due to our 'uniqueness'.  Excuses of 'diversity' or otherwise is just another way of saying 'we can't do it' which I find appalling.  Where's that 'can do' man on the moon spirit? - It never 'trickled down' from the top.

Offline msmob

Predictably, it's pestered with disclaimer. Going back to work can't be any more dangerous than what our healthcare workers face 12-hours everyday.

That is worthy of comment as being up there with the most silly post ever seen on here ...

Given such health-care folk encounter FAR more of those exhibiting symptoms, at close range, for longer periods  and MUST touch said infected folk ..   

Offline Gator

But considering we are still at our peak with new daily infections and may well even be undercounting, do you really think the time is 'ripe' to announce a plan based on a tiny flicker at the end of the tunnel?

Its more than a flicker.   But let's not dwell on that.

It sounds as if you are doing fine on your hectare of land.  I am doing fine on my 5 acres and financial reserves.   Most people are not doing fine. 

The small business safety net has already run out of money, and the House will not appropriate more funds unless some Progressive programs are funded.    My landscaper is eyeing the deer that graze around the property as a source of free meat.  We may set a trap to catch a wild pig.   

Can we not agree that the nation needs to go back to work?  The question is when.  We are not ready today en masse, yet some sectors in some locales are ready.   Going back to work will start with probes, not a banzai charge. 

WE NEED A PLAN TO CHEW ON.  Call it a game plan prepared before the game starts, a plan that has been thoroughly scrutinized and drilled.

For the reasons I gave a couple of days ago going back to work will not be as risky as when this epidemic hit.  I imagine after this plan is revealed, the media will criticize Trump for not sharing the plan earlier.   ;D ;D ;D   

Offline Gator

Massive testing is the only way to speed the process and maintain a manageable level of cases. 

Meanwhile, the nation's wealth dries up, adding a year, then another year, then another to recovering.  Why?  Debt.  Recovery will not be a V or U, but an L. 

Testing is expanding.  Be smart in rolling the new capabilities and expanded capacities.   Watch all the indicators to head off a second wave of the virus. 

I don't see a national 'will'.

If you were here, you could feel the will.  A will to work, and there's another will.  America with all its individualism has supported the lockdown.  Bravo!  Let's also call that "will."    There is thought that this will to shelter at home will not be sustained without some sense of hope.     

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection

Can we not agree that the nation needs to go back to work?  The question is when.  We are not ready today en masse, yet some sectors in some locales are ready.   Going back to work will start with probes, not a banzai charge. 

WE NEED A PLAN TO CHEW ON.  Call it a game plan prepared before the game starts, a plan that has been thoroughly scrutinized and drilled.

For the reasons I gave a couple of days ago going back to work will not be as risky as when this epidemic hit.  I imagine after this plan is revealed, the media will criticize Trump for not sharing the plan earlier.   ;D ;D ;D   

I can't speak for the country nor the hot spots of the virus but here, where I am in Texas folks are ready to get back to work. Arkansas, which never implemented a "Stay at home" order has lower infections than any of the 6 states bordering it equaling 9 per million residents (I think) and one of the lowest in the country. Business will take care of business given the opportunity. Will there be more infections? I'm sure there will with or without going back to work. We're certainly moving into the cure being worse than the problem if we do not at least start getting back to business

Offline GQBlues

Protest rising up all over the country because people are demanding to go back to work. Just saw news reports showing various place in the country rallying up to show their frustration and are gathering up doing so.

Get this program rolling whether tiered, phased, elective, whatever...we need to get the country back to work.

That is worthy of comment as being up there with the most silly post ever seen on here ...
Given such health-care folk encounter FAR more of those exhibiting symptoms, at close range, for longer periods  and MUST touch said infected folk ..

In your silly haste to relieve that poker I placed high up where the sun don’t shine in every post I make, you’re starting to see things that isn’t there.  Go back and READ what you bolded and try to understand exactly what was posted. Then come back and make a report, get on your knees and apologize.

Come up for fresh air once in a while.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:48:54 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Maxx2

The Race factor in all of this
« Reply #2191 on: April 16, 2020, 06:25:26 AM »
I'LL HAVE THE CHICKEN TESTICLE SOUP - HOLD THE DEADLY VIRUS
April 8, 2020

It’s probably a coincidence, but I notice that as businesses go under, jobs are lost, careers are ended and trillions of dollars are drained from the economy, the people most avidly pushing the coronavirus panic are doing quite well.

No politician or government official has taken a salary cut. To the contrary, dusty bureaucrats now find the entire country transfixed by their every utterance. Cable news hosts still make millions of dollars -- and now they get to work from home!

Annoyingly, though, journalists can’t seem to relay the basic elements of a news story: who, what, where and why.

First, who’s dying? It appears to be mostly the old, people with specific medical conditions and vapers.

To be sure, that’s not as important as daily updates on Chris Cuomo’s personal battle with the coronavirus, but it might be kind of important to the 17 million Americans who’ve been thrown out of work, many of whom are not elderly, immunocompromised or vapers.

Second, the “what.” What exactly constitutes a “coronavirus death”?

It turns out a person with Stage 4 lung cancer and a bullet through the heart will be counted as a “coronavirus death” if he also tested positive for the disease, OR merely exhibited symptoms associated with it (symptoms that are coextensive with the flu and pneumonia).

We’re told that, if anything, coronavirus deaths are being undercounted because the numbers don’t include those who die of it at home.

If so, then the death count also excludes those who die at home of other things, like heart attacks and poisonings. Many of these people might have survived -- except they were too scared to go to a hospital or couldn't find an EMT to take them there, per current edicts.

The “where” is: Where did the virus originate, and where did it first land in this country?

Despite the media’s best efforts -- DON’T CALL IT THE “CHINESE VIRUS”! -- people know that the virus began at a wet market in China.

But where did it start in this country? Washington state was the site of our very first case. Washington state is also 9.3% Asian. Even now, it has eight times more coronavirus cases per capita than neighboring Oregon (4.8% Asian).

Could it be that Chinese-Americans have more contact with the epicenter of this plague than other Americans? As the left always lectures us, BELIEVE THE SCIENCE!

The virus next leapt to New York (9% Asian) and New Jersey (10% Asian). The worst-hit borough of Manhattan is Queens. Guess which borough has the most Asians? Elmhurst Hospital in Queens is the worst-hit hospital in the nation. Elmhurst neighborhood: 50% Asian.

Notice a pattern? While it’s true that “viruses don’t have nationalities!” -- and thank you very much for pointing that out, media! -- the carriers of viruses do have nationalities.

Arguably, Trump had a reason to shut down travel from China other than “hysteria, xenophobia and fear-mongering", as Joe Biden claimed in a tweet on Feb. 1.

Of course, once it’s here, it’s here and can spread all over. Still, compare New York and New Jersey to, say, Montana and West Virginia.

Chinese virus deaths, so far, by population:

-- New York (9% Asian): 29 per 100,000

-- New Jersey (10% Asian): 13 per 100,000

-- Montana (0.9% Asian): 0.6 per 100,000

-- West Virginia (0.8% Asian): 0.2 per 100,000

Then there’s California, which alone among the four states with the highest Asian populations has relatively few coronavirus cases, probably due to its warm climate and little public transportation, among other things. In those respects, California is a lot like Texas -- which has about a third as many Asians and also about half as many coronavirus deaths (1.1 per 100,000 in California, compared to 0.71 per 100,000 in Texas).

MEDIA: Oh, why does it matter?

OK, OK, you’re right. But isn’t the prevalence of the coronavirus in states with high Asian populations at least as interesting as this recent article in The New York Times magazine?

Story summary:

Man with severe asthma gets coronavirus, has low-grade fever for approximately 10 days with muscle pain, nausea and fatigue, develops walking pneumonia per X-ray (no clinical evidence) ...

Recovers.

The End.

Finally, why? Why do we have to deal with this virus at all?

The media would prefer if you would stop asking this question, but Americans who didn’t have to die are dead because of Wall Street’s decision to merge our economy with the Chinese, who have unusual eating habits.

The Chinese eat wolf pups. But eating dog wasn’t weird enough. It didn’t give them a frisson of freakishness. They also eat bats, snakes and chicken testicles.

Husband: Oh, honey, golden retriever again?

[Kids groan]

Mom: Not tonight! For a special treat, we're having chicken testicles!

Kids: Aw, you're the best mom ever!

Tigers and rhinos are the most endangered species on Earth because Chinese people think rhinoceros horns and tiger penises can cure impotence. The Caspian, Bali and Javan tigers are already extinct because of this charming folk remedy.

Recently added to the endangered species list is the cute, cartoonish pangolin, the most trafficked animal is the world. Unfortunately, the pangolin’s scales are believed to cure any number of ailments, according to traditional Chinese medicine.

Where’s PETA?

The media are too busy covering for China. At least the Chinese aren’t white.

Although, it occurs to me that, despite America’s terrible toxic whiteness, one way our culture is superior to others is that we don’t believe lunatic nonsense that wipes out entire species or launches viral pandemics on the world.

Now back to Chris Cuomo’s riveting battle with the coronavirus.

COPYRIGHT 2020 ANN COULTER

Offline msmob

Can we not agree that the nation needs to go back to work? 

Sure, as long as you don't mind possibly not enjoying your assets much longer ... and much sooner than nature intended

You should organise a 'protest' like these morons

http://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2020/apr/16/armed-protesters-demand-an-end-to-michigans-coronavirus-lockdown-orders-video

How 'interesting' The video of armed protesters got made 'private' ...  and then public again ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:55:02 AM by msmob »

Online Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Yesterday UK government sources reckoned the UK economy could decline by around 35 percent by the time the restrictions ease off, etc. They reckon by the end of the year unemployment will have gone up from 3.5 percent of the workforce to 10 percent before falling back down to around 7 percent.

Those figures are pretty horrific and if they come true will have a potentially life altering impact on many people's lives, most probably for the he worst. So far I've managed to stay in work and happen to be in a sector that is pretty resilient to not being exposed to this kind of thing.

Many people have been taken on by Supermarkets on a temporary basis so far but they are likely to be laid off again when restrictions ease and/if we get this virus thing behind us. I believe we will eventually get this virus thing behind us but it will likely be more towards the end of this year. In the meantime for those that get laid off and particularly for those that get laid off again it ain't going to be a pretty ride. I remember when John Major devasted the economy in the 90's, it went on for years and years of a depressed scene with little hope. I was fortunate to be still in education for most of it and only myself suffered a bit of the tail end of it. Others were not so lucky.

Best hope here is that it all ends up more as similar to vacation time off work and not too much long term damage is done. Many people still are getting an income in some form or another. There will be a cost of how the Chancellor will recoup the 80 percent if salaries given and that may prove difficult to do and something that may be best spread out over the longer term as far as possible. I'm not sure it's going to be a fast recovery after this I think we're just going to have to hope for the best.

Offline msmob

I remember when John Major devasted the economy in the 90's,

You mean you forgot it was already having issues , as was the situation in the macro sense ?  *I* remember him taking us out of the ERM and the economy picking up and his being re-elected ...  You were a teenager ... I had a mortgage and a new kid ... Guess who'd actually KNOW ? 

Edit to add: As you are so 'concerned' about Italy ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52311263

Coronavirus: EU offers 'heartfelt apology' to Italy

The EU Commission president has offered a "heartfelt apology" to Italy for not helping at the start of its deadly coronavirus outbreak.

Ursula von der Leyen told the EU parliament that "too many were not there... when Italy needed".

Many Italians have criticised the EU's response to the pandemic, and say the bloc did not do enough to help.

The country has recorded more than 21,000 deaths from the virus, the highest toll in Europe.

Italy's Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio has welcomed Ms von der Leyen's comments, calling them "an important act of truth".

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:12:07 AM by msmob »

Offline BC

Its more than a flicker.   But let's not dwell on that.

It sounds as if you are doing fine on your hectare of land.  I am doing fine on my 5 acres and financial reserves.   Most people are not doing fine.

Sure, it has been tough here as it has been tough everywhere. But everyone sees the same graph and see more than a flicker.  We've opened up a wee bit. Germany is being a bit bolder - why? They have created a system of detection that works and are reaching the point where they are confident in chasing down and isolating.  It has worked very well for them.  We have a ways to go yet here in Italy, folks are very aware of what can happen and don't seem to mind a more gradual approach.  It is not risk-free but risks are manageable, for now.  We'll know more in a couple of weeks time. Simple things like the wider and broader social net and job guarantees, rent and mortgage moratoriums make a difference along with 80% of your salaries being paid, the continuance of health insurance etc etc.  Here it is more a bottom-up approach, not top-down as seems to be the case in the US.  Yuge difference, but yes still not perfect.  Just last week our tax man did the applications for all his small business clients that qualify Covid bonuses.  Was deposited in our account yesterday.  All this makes the lockdown a lot less stressful, but yes some pain remains.

The small business safety net has already run out of money, and the House will not appropriate more funds unless some Progressive programs are funded.    My landscaper is eyeing the deer that graze around the property as a source of free meat.  We may set a trap to catch a wild pig. 

If you qualified for a stimulus check,  give it to your landscaper instead. Save the pig and offspring for a really rainy day.

Where did 2 Trillion go?  You'll find the answer following the money. Pushing additional trillions in liquidity into the top level of the 'system' does very little to help the masses. We're top-heavy.  Lighten the load or sink.  Neither does saving the stock market buying lower-grade stokz.  Bailout the airlines en masse to just bail them out again and again?  Pay the workers directly instead and not airframe and airport leases.  It will be a long while before that industry is even capable of using the workers they have now.  Why worry about saving shareholders?  Someone will be buying all those unused planes in the future after filing chapter 11 in a couple of years.  Is Boeing worth saving? Screw the shareholders and let them rebuild the right way.  Foreign flag cruise ships are a luxury, take 'em to the pawnshop instead.

We can't save the status quo Gator, too late for that. So let's change for the better and not on the taxpayers back and our grandkids.  An economic correction was expected so let's let it happen naturally.

Probes with what? Empty test tubes? Are emergency rooms and hospital occupancy going to be our 'testing method'? We're at the peak of the infection wave, weeks behind other countries, maybe more.

Let's see it.  Impress me and every other worker that wants to return home safe and virus free. Employers can't afford a lame, intermittent workforce.

We'll see what he pulls out of the magic hat.

Offline BC

Meanwhile, the nation's wealth dries up, adding a year, then another year, then another to recovering.  Why?  Debt.  Recovery will not be a V or U, but an L. 

Testing is expanding.  Be smart in rolling the new capabilities and expanded capacities.   Watch all the indicators to head off a second wave of the virus. 

If you were here, you could feel the will.  A will to work, and there's another will.  America with all its individualism has supported the lockdown.  Bravo!  Let's also call that "will."    There is thought that this will to shelter at home will not be sustained without some sense of hope.   

Wealth can be replaced.  Only astronomical virtual numbers any way that the common family will never understand nor see.  Want to make folks happy?  Give them the power of knowledge, to know what their covid status is so they can weigh their own risk factors.  As it is they will be in the dark and fearful even as the stores, offices and factories raise their shutters.

Only then can they express their will with some degree of confidence and the full potential of individualism.  Looking at the numbers, they are not as impressed as we are here.  Don't confuse will with desperation.

Offline ML

Risk to lives in not restarting economy
« Reply #2197 on: April 16, 2020, 08:51:19 AM »
Something I haven't seen mentioned here.

At news conference in reply to question about risk to lives in starting up economy, Donald said:

There is also risk of life in not starting up economy.

He went on to list:  Increased suicide rate, increased drug usage, etc., from people's frustration of being out of work.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

Wealth can be replaced.  Only astronomical virtual numbers any way that the common family will never understand nor see.  Want to make folks happy?  Give them the power of knowledge, to know what their covid status is so they can weigh their own risk factors.  As it is they will be in the dark and fearful even as the stores, offices and factories raise their shutters.

Only then can they express their will with some degree of confidence and the full potential of individualism.  Looking at the numbers, they are not as impressed as we are here.  Don't confuse will with desperation.

BC-

From my perspective, even in normal times, working is ingrained deeply amongst Americans psyche. There were times in the past, even our work week schedule is somewhat ridiculed because of the total hours we work and the relative lesser times provided for vacations and holidays - comparatively to Europeans..

Maybe being in Europe for so long you've lost that awareness and understanding of the fiber of our society. The very vast majority of Americans cannot sit idly by and not work.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection

GDP per hour worked ..2015

USA ( 5th )  ... Behind four nations from .... EUROPE ..

http://time.com/4621185/worker-productivity-countries/

Will you never learn to read the links you post for proof? Did you read it or did you not have your calculator? Google isn't your friend

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541327
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701