It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Question about digital camera  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Question about digital camera
« on: March 16, 2005, 05:27:45 AM »
Dan, jb, anyone else who might know, what do you think about the Nikon D70 digital camera and how would you compare it to the D100?  Any thoughts?

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 07:26:22 AM »
http://astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

D70 - more fast, has min exposure 1/8000c, give out more clear pics at lage ISO, better autofocus, weight less at 100 gr, and more cheap:D

« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 07:41:00 AM by Elen »

Offline philb

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 07:27:13 AM »
I am more of a Minolta guy, but the reviews I have read speak favorably of this camera.  Here are some links with reviews of various digital cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/

http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Offline jb

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 07:53:18 AM »
Jack,

The differences between the D-70 and D-100 are not much, other than about $200.00 in price tags.  The D-100 has a max shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second, and the D-70 is *limited* to 1/4000th of a second.  (Who would ever need a shutter speed that fast is beyond me)
You can see the reviews at;
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d70.asp
and
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_d100.asp
Doing a side-by-side reveals they are basically the same camera.

Bear in mind I'm a Nikon fan, so my opinions are biased.  I'm of the school of thought that says; there are Nikons,,, and then there's all those other cameras.  Personally, I think you'd be delighted with the pictures taken from either camera.  Both cameras will happily take the same optics, which is what really takes the picture anyway, the camera body is merely there to hold the recording medium, be it film, or digital.  

I've been taking pictures with Nikons for years (starting with a Nikon F-2), and compared to the other SLR's, nobody beats a Nikon, not even Leica for 3 or 4 times the money.  

Also bear in mind I own neither of these cameras, I'm still an old stick in the mud, I like film cameras.  I own a couple of digital cameras, but they are el-cheapos, (Sony and Olympus), if I want to take a decent picture, I'll get my Nikon N-80, or if it's really important I'll go with one of several medium format cameras I like. Like the Mamiya 645.

If you want a really great camera, try the The Mamiya 645AFD with a digital back.  Price; $3,799.00

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 08:08:04 AM »
Thanks Elen, Phil and jb.

jb I have been pretty much a nikon man for 20-30 years. I have two fine Nikon's now, their the film type. Over the past 5-6 years I wouldn't even consider the digital cameras because I did not think the quality was the same and I liked to use a varity of lenses, and until recently you pretty much was restricted to a single lense on your digital. But over the past two years the quality of digital has about caught up to the quality of film cameras, or so it would appear, and now with inter-changeable lenses.

With the great amount of film I take on a trip, 100 rolls, and the price to develope film, I figured it was time to go digital and as such think I am putting my Nikons and all lenses on E-Bay and going all digital.

Now with the information Elen sent between the Nikon and the Canon digital, I am wondering if the Canon is suppose to be a better overall camera.  Any comments about that?

Offline jb

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 08:46:58 AM »
I might be an interested buyer of some of those Nikon film cameras you intend to sell.

One thing you might want to think about when you switch to all digital is this; do not be fooled by claims of megapixels, all the experts say you need about 12-20 megapexels to equal film.  Greater numbers of pixels will increase the resolution, (resolving power is also a function of lens quality) of the image, but digital will never be able to equal the dynamic range of film.  Due to the need to anti-alias filter, digital will always be *slightly* less in quality than analog film.

NO, No, No,,,, forget all that stuff,, you want to sell some Nikons?  Let me know what you've got, I'm not too interested in the early AF's, or the one's which had the salt meters because of the limited shelf life, but if you've got a couple of old F-1's or F-2's??  A newer F-100 would be nice, but I doubt I could afford it.  I'm more into the classic stuff.  But lenses and filters are always something to consider.

Offline philb

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 08:56:20 AM »
Hey jb, do you  still prefer vinyl over CD's too?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 08:56:00 AM by philb »

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 09:15:06 AM »
Actually you will probably drown in all that information about what digital camera is the best:D:D Every body will sing the praises of his own camera. So let buy Nicon 70. It will sutisfy all your demands

Offline Cold Warrior

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 12:03:04 PM »
I woud go for the D-70, but i heard a replacment is due shortly in 1-2 months so hang in there.

Offline jb

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 01:04:37 PM »
Hey jb, do you  still prefer vinyl over CD's too?

I cried real tears when vinyl died.  :(

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 01:09:07 PM »
No time for vinyl.  Give me an 8-track, so I can listen to two songs at once. :D

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 04:50:47 PM »
Jack,

The Canon 20D is one terrific SLR camera - also the brand new 350D. Both come with a 'kit' lens that is very good, but not great. However, the Canon 'L' series lenses are the best of the best (albeit at a price).

You simply cannot do better than Canon for digital SLR technology right now. Hopefully Nikon, Pentax, Minolta, Olympus and others will catch up soon - otherwise, Canon will just continue to charge premium prices for their products.

Check out all the review at: www.dpreview.com

- Dan

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541386
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3711
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 3703
Total: 3713

+-Recent Posts

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM

Re: Trippin........... by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:09:50 AM