It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)  (Read 316277 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)
« Reply #775 on: May 05, 2020, 01:31:22 AM »
So 'normal' is what ?

Countries declaring themselves 'green zones' severely restricting who can come in along with enforced testing and/or quarantine for their own returning citizens and residents.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #776 on: May 05, 2020, 03:35:15 AM »
Maybe it originated there?

As noted early on, many early cases were likely masked in the background noise of the flu season.  Can't wait to get tested to see if the very bad bout of flu I had in early February was Covid.

There is mounting evidence that it originated in the Wuhan Lab where they have been studying it for several years. It's pretty much down to an accident or purposeful release isn't it?

I believe I had it to back in January and had all the symptoms except a high fever. It was 99/100 but felt like it was higher. I had a 4 way flu shot back in October so I had the flu ruled out and just assumed it was a really bad crud that makes the rounds from time to time. The worse part about it was the non stop dry cough for 5 days and nights

Offline BC

« Reply #777 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:40 AM »
FP,

Suspicions are mounting, but haven't seen any evidence yet that supports such.

Yes, those symptoms sound very familiar.  Here had severe chills for a couple of days under a ton of blankets, high temperature and dry cough.  Think I was 'out of order' for almost a week. Then my dog had a similar cough afterwards for a few days.  Was the first time I ever picked up a bottle of O2 to suck on for a couple of days and nights to go along with the Clarithromycin I took. 

Guessing if it was covid it was a mild case, but was worrisome enough at the time.  I did know of covid but thought it impossible as my last travels were back in November. 

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #778 on: May 05, 2020, 04:16:05 AM »
FP,

Suspicions are mounting, but haven't seen any evidence yet that supports such.

Yes, those symptoms sound very familiar.  Here had severe chills for a couple of days under a ton of blankets, high temperature and dry cough.  Think I was 'out of order' for almost a week. Then my dog had a similar cough afterwards for a few days.  Was the first time I ever picked up a bottle of O2 to suck on for a couple of days and nights to go along with the Clarithromycin I took. 

Guessing if it was covid it was a mild case, but was worrisome enough at the time.  I did know of covid but thought it impossible as my last travels were back in November.

More and more evidence is coming to light as to the origination. Who, when and why maybe a question for the ages. With the laser focus some folks had on a "the next pandemic" and a corona virus to boot it's likely to reveal itself. Will folks pay attention? It'll be interesting to see where the vaccine comes from and for some reason I'm confident there will be one, soon.

I had it or something much like it. I shrugged it off at the time as it didn't fit the virus narrative we were seeing on the news. Supposedly it wasn't in the US at the time. Apparently it was just getting discovered in Wuhan and coming this way. Seems now there's evidence it likely was spreading as early as November in the US. I've never been tested but the illness was the worse crud I had ever experienced and it was respiratory . The worse of it lasted about 12-14 days and it took another 3 weeks before I felt like I was over it. It lingered a very long time

Offline BC

« Reply #779 on: May 05, 2020, 04:26:23 AM »
Wow FP, that is much longer than what I experienced.  Glad you survived and hope some immunity was gained.  Anyone else in your household catch your cough?

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #780 on: May 05, 2020, 04:36:08 AM »
Wow FP, that is much longer than what I experienced.  Glad you survived and hope some immunity was gained.  Anyone else in your household catch your cough?

Yes my wife and my son in law who isn't in my household got it at about the same time and just as I was feeling better. My daughter got it soon after them. My SIL is a doctor and seems to think he gave it to me. He believes it to be covid. I had recently returned from the Houston/Galveston area and kind of think I might've picked it up from there

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #781 on: May 05, 2020, 08:31:10 AM »
Someone upthread mentioned the high number of fatalities in Europe vs the US, and seemed to blame it on socialized medicine.

Most European countries were hit with a more deadly strain of COVID-19 than parts of the US, and even China.  Type B, which hit most of Europe (Type C prevailed in Italy) is far more deadly than Type A, which prevailed in China and on the US West Coast.  Type B was prevalent on the US East Coast. 

This is one of the most interesting factoids I have seen here.
I have not heard this before on any of the news shows.
Did I just miss this info on mass media previously ??
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #782 on: May 05, 2020, 08:39:35 AM »

No. It's was reported a while back, also posted on this site.

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=24283.msg534018#msg534018

NYU did the study and reported about the 'mutated' version of the virus, which they tried to explain why heavier cases on the east coast.

The fact Italy resorted to their way of treating the sick doesn't change the fact that is still goes down to healthcare system. What they have in Europe is what they have in the eastcoast.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

« Reply #783 on: May 05, 2020, 10:50:25 AM »
ML, it was reported several times to the extent 'reporting it' was deemed 'old news' ;)

GQB doesn't know WHAT he is talking about re the standard of care / availability of ICU / standard of medical staff in Europe v ( say ) USA - that is abundantly clear. There isn't an agreed treatment re 'meds that work' and COVID-19 effects different patients in different forms.

Since the articles appearing in week 3 of April, suggesting 'weaker' strains on the US west coast and China and more virulent in Europe, I've not read much much to support / debunk the theory .

We just do not know.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #784 on: May 05, 2020, 11:47:53 AM »
GQB doesn't know WHAT he is talking about

LMAO! From simple arithmetic, to N95 masks, to global warming and long dry desert spells, to N.Ireland being a 'country'...hysterical.

Based on the death rate, you are 3x as likely to die of the same disease in the UK compared to the US. Fact.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #785 on: May 05, 2020, 01:22:11 PM »

It was reported in British and French media.  I don't think I read about it in Canadian media.

I did post a link a while back about the mutated versions of the virus that had been studied by group of scholars out of Cambridge.  But that study didn't look at the deadliness of each strain, nor did the US study in the link on this thread.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
« Reply #786 on: May 05, 2020, 06:07:47 PM »

Scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new study led by scientists at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote.

In addition to spreading faster, it may make people vulnerable to a second infection after a first bout with the disease, the report warned.

The Los Alamos team, assisted by scientists at Duke University and the University of Sheffield in England, identified 14 mutations. Those mutations occurred among the nearly 30,000 base pairs of RNA that other scientists say make up the coronavirus’s genome. The report authors focused on a mutation called D614G, which is responsible for the change in the virus’ spikes.

“The story is worrying, as we see a mutated form of the virus very rapidly emerging, and over the month of March becoming the dominant pandemic form,” study leader Bette Korber, a computational biologist at Los Alamos, wrote on her Facebook page. “When viruses with this mutation enter a population, they rapidly begin to take over the local epidemic, thus they are more transmissible.”

http://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
« Reply #787 on: May 05, 2020, 08:33:00 PM »
Local packinghouse tested all employees.....58% infected! Unfortunately some of their spouses are employed at local nursing homes. One home reports 50% of residents infected. Several other homes reporting outbreaks. I'm expecting 20% of the local population infected by the end of June (I might be optimistic, could well be worse). Idiot freaking governor started loosening restrictions May 1. :arguing:
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline msmob

« Reply #788 on: May 05, 2020, 11:51:44 PM »
A little bit of 'juicy gossip'

The UK Professor, whose model showing up to 250k deaths ensured the UK govt 'woke up' from their laissez-faire approach has just had to resign for failing to 'socially distance' from his lover ....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52553229

Prof Neil Ferguson has quit as a government adviser on coronavirus after admitting an "error of judgement".

Some of you may remember a certain member here discussing a Swedish Prof, who strongly disagreed with Neil Ferguson telling the UK govt that Sweden's 'herd immunity' approach was 'sound' ...that the UK govt was 'wrong' to change tactic ..

30k plus dead in the UK and GAWD knows how many would have died , if the govt HADN'T changed policy  :wallbash:

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #789 on: May 06, 2020, 12:27:12 AM »
30k plus dead in the UK

In a month and a half, 1 out of every 2300 UK citizens have died. Probably closer to 1 out of every 2000 since not everybody who died by COVID-19 was counted. If the deaths doesn't rise or fall and maintains steady, by the end of the year, 1 out of every 250 UK citizens would be dead.

In the same time Belgium lost about 1 out of 1450 people.

The tiny nation San Marino was hit the hardest with 1 out of every 827 citizens dead. If they maintained the pace they just set, by the end of the year, 1 out of every 100 citizens would be dead.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #790 on: May 06, 2020, 12:40:26 AM »
Dear BillyB

1/ Every death assumed to be COVID-19 IS counted by 'our' ONS... the data takes longer to assimilate - hence the 'spike' in numbers every seven days ..and the UK topping the European national deaths chart ..  given 'our' govt stated 20k would be a disaster.

2/ Indeed, the UK hasn't got the record for deaths per head of population...  Belgium is a similar nation to the UK in that cities / towns are incredibly near each other

Offline Gator

« Reply #791 on: May 06, 2020, 05:25:33 AM »

“The story is worrying, as we see a mutated form of the virus very rapidly emerging, and over the month of March becoming the dominant pandemic form,” study leader Bette Korber, a computational biologist at Los Alamos, wrote on her Facebook page. “When viruses with this mutation enter a population, they rapidly begin to take over the local epidemic, thus they are more transmissible.”

The work is far from complete. 

-  The mutation was discovered based on computational analysis. 
     -  It's virulence has not been tested with biologic cells, much less living animals. 
     -  This mutated form of virus is possibly not as contagious or lethal as the prevalent existing forms.
     -  Natural selection gives evolutionary preference to forms that do not kill the host. 

However, anything is possible in this unfolding story.   

Offline msmob

« Reply #792 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:30 AM »
LMAO! From simple arithmetic, to N95 masks, to global warming and long dry desert spells, to N.Ireland being a 'country'...hysterical.

1/ Arithmetic error on my part now acknowledged several times .. I'm sure you've never posted any mistake

2/ 'N95' is a US term for which we (EU)  have two standards - one capable of handling dust particles, t'other ..v.fine liquid particulates ... you have forgotten that lesson... how 'convenient' ..

3/ N.California has ever shorter rainy seasons... YOU duck and weave, refusing to believe this could be anything to do with man-kind ..

4/ N.Ireland is a country and when you'll see Rory McIlroy's score on the screen - think of me.

Now back to the thread theme..

Based on the death rate, you are 3x as likely to die of the same disease in the UK compared to the US. Fact.

Depends WHERE you are in the US / UK .. the latter has a MUCH denser population index ..

United Kingdom is 281 per Km2 (727 people per mi2)
USA                        36 per Km2    (94 people per mi2)

Some more arithmetic for you..the UK is nearly EIGHT times more densely populated

Now, let's deal with your crappy arithmetic

a) UK population = c.68 million, c.30k deaths
b) US population c.328 million c. 72k deaths   

US has c.4.8 times the population... agreed, so far ...?

So, if the US matched the UK it should have 144k deaths... agreed so far ...?

The US has (so far)  72k deaths.... SO... one is TWICE ( not three times) more likely to have died ..There's the FACT...

Next time you choose to 'pick a fight' ... be sure to check for your very own peccadilloes, eh ? ...

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 07:51:38 AM by msmob »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #793 on: May 06, 2020, 09:41:39 AM »
1/ Arithmetic error on my part now acknowledged several times .. I'm sure you've never posted any mistake

It wasn't an 'error' considering the statement that followed the simple adding 'error'. Do a quick search on this site 'arithmetic' by poster msmob..don't be surprised at how many times you berate posters about their 'arithmetic error'. I challenge you.

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?action=search

2/ 'N95' is a US term for which we (EU)  have two standards - one capable of handling dust particles, t'other ..v.fine liquid particulates ... you have forgotten that lesson... how 'convenient' ..

Then, like you often do, why comment on something you clearly have no knowledge of? Again, I already listed the differences between N95 /N99. I haven't 'forgotten' anything. I had already posted the variance way BEFORE you came trotting to claim an authority over something you know nothing about. You're not only obtuse, but a bullsh!tter, too..

Here's the thread again: http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=24136.msg528287#msg528287

3/ N.California has ever shorter rainy seasons... YOU duck and weave, refusing to believe this could be anything to do with man-kind ..

READ: *El Nino, La Nina*. Again, why pretend you know something YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT?
And Los Angeles basin/SoCal is technically a desert/arid region. Long dry spell is its natural climate. Not because of global warming.

Here's the thread again: http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=21622.msg520180#msg520180

4/ N.Ireland is a country and when you'll see Rory McIlroy's score on the screen - think of me.

Yes, I will and laugh. Thanks for the gift that keeps on giving.

Here's the thread again: http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=21622.msg518063#msg518063

Now back to the thread theme..

Depends WHERE you are in the US / UK .. the latter has a MUCH denser population index ..

United Kingdom is 281 per Km2 (727 people per mi2)
USA                        36 per Km2    (94 people per mi2)

Some more arithmetic for you..the UK is nearly EIGHT times more densely populated

Again, try and keep up. Understand the meaning of the term 'per capita'...

Now, let's deal with your crappy arithmetic

a) UK population = c.68 million, c.30k deaths
b) US population c.328 million c. 72k deaths   

US has c.4.8 times the population... agreed, so far ...?

So, if the US matched the UK it should have 144k deaths... agreed so far ...?

The US has (so far)  72k deaths.... SO... one is TWICE ( not three times) more likely to have died ..There's the FACT...

Next time you choose to 'pick a fight' ... be sure to check for your very own peccadilloes, eh ? ...

Easy. Read above.

:devil:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 10:12:36 AM by GQBlues »

Offline msmob

« Reply #794 on: May 07, 2020, 05:52:34 AM »
Dearest GQB

Please indulge me in detailed explanations as to your own arithmetic being seriously flawed..

To this poster, it seems that you have difficulty owned a mistake - whilst being v.quick to pointing them out ..

Anyway, Belarus' situation fascinates me ..Seems like President 'Lukashouldgo' is now managing to fall out with Russia's state media ..

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/07/belarus-expels-russian-journalist-over-fake-coronavirus-report-media-a70203

"Belarus Expels Russian Journalist Over ‘Fake’ Coronavirus Report"

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #795 on: May 07, 2020, 08:46:31 AM »
Dearest GQB

Please indulge me in detailed explanations as to your own arithmetic being seriously flawed..

To this poster, it seems that you have difficulty owned a mistake - whilst being v.quick to pointing them out ..

Which part of # deaths/million you're having difficulty understanding again? Today accounting is showing: US: 227/mil; UK 443/mil.

If you don't like per million, use per 100,000, or maybe use 1,000 if you struggle with too many numbers.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #796 on: May 12, 2020, 03:17:55 PM »
Most Blue States are badly managed and owes zillions to their state employee
pensions and they are going to stay closed as long as possible and lose as many
businesses and jobs as possible and then they are going to want a bailout from
everyone else when this is over.

They are permanently screwing up their tax revenues while simultaneously 
blowing up their spending and then they will want to blame it on somebody
else besides themselves.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #797 on: May 12, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »
Dearest GQB

Anybody who is trying to math on this is just guessing. It's just like lefty 
global warming predictions. They don't use all the factors in the equation
so they can project whatever they want.

NOBODY knows how many people have or had the virus that showed no
symptoms. Since nobody knows that number all the other numbers are
going to be wild projections.

100% of deaths are considered covid deaths even if they were involved in
a car wreck or had 10 heart attacks the year before.

Typical liberal mathematical model:
Garbage in/garbage out & pretend you are superior.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #798 on: May 12, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »
Most Blue States are badly managed and owes zillions to their state employee
pensions and they are going to stay closed as long as possible and lose as many
businesses and jobs as possible and then they are going to want a bailout from
everyone else when this is over.

They are permanently screwing up their tax revenues while simultaneously 
blowing up their spending and then they will want to blame it on somebody
else besides themselves.

According to our governor, WA, OR & CA combined need $ 1 trillion dollar bailout to meet fiscal budget! Kind of him to had spent the time to calculate it. LMAO. Of course they're now using the trendy classification of *it's for the first responders*.

*Never let a good crisis go to waste!* California already was broke waaay before the virus came around. All states are ran by Democrats, so what's new?

Lastly, the fed's needs to 'sell' the USPS and get rid of that useless deadweight. It loses billions every year for gawd knows how long.

so they can project whatever they want. …

Exactly.
Which was why my original post on the topic strictly cited based solely on available numbers posted on world-o-meter at that particular day. IIRC, I even date stamped the report to accurate cite the numbers at the time. #deaths per capita (per million).

Swoosh...went over people's head...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 03:59:30 PM by GQBlues »

Offline msmob

« Reply #799 on: May 13, 2020, 01:16:33 AM »
so they can project whatever they want.

There's a post from a guy for who covering his ears and talking loudly 'makes bad news go away' ..but it's still going on .. ( man-made global-warming and the spread of SARS-CoV2)

NOBODY knows how many people have or had the virus that showed no
symptoms. Since nobody knows that number all the other numbers are
going to be wild projections.

100% of deaths are considered covid deaths even if they were involved in
a car wreck or had 10 heart attacks the year before.

Typical liberal mathematical model:
Garbage in/garbage out & pretend you are superior.

Er, 'sorry' . but THIS poster has started comparing the death rates for nations v. the present ones .   MUCH more accurate ..  At it's peak, the UK's was double .. 

I 'get' that some parts of the US / UK haven't had the high numbers of fatalities, but we don't know why...

Your Dr Fauci - that some seek to 'discredit' because he's speaking from a medical person's perspective ... not a bean-counter has it nailed ..... you should be listening to his advice ...not the bean counters

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541446
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 2062
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 1690
Total: 1697

+-Recent Posts

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Today at 01:53:18 PM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Today at 10:57:05 AM

Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by 2tallbill
Today at 10:55:23 AM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Today at 10:11:31 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 09:44:27 AM

international travel by 2tallbill
Today at 09:21:35 AM

Re: Interesting Articles by JohnDearGreen
Today at 08:06:48 AM

Re: The stupidity you get in the UK these days by krimster2
Today at 05:12:27 AM

The stupidity you get in the UK these days by Trenchcoat
Today at 04:13:58 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 05:23:57 PM