It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Arrival at LAX Nov 2014  (Read 86407 times)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Arrival at LAX Nov 2014
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2015, 10:33:04 PM »
Taking the ladies out for dinner on Womans Day.

While shopping the thrift stores for work shirts today, Larissa spotted a nice dress for $5.  She is wearing it to dinner.  Nice to have a gal that is thrifty.  She could have any dress she wanted.   :)

Dinner was wonderful.  Lisa got a free child's dinner (BBQ chicken) which we did not know about in advance.  My medium rare filet was wonderful.  Larissa's well done filet with mayo was something I will never understand.   ;D

Both girls have two weeks off from school.  How does anyone learn anything will all these holidays from school?

Our waiter said he had a Ukraine wife.  Turns out she was a green card gal and lives in New Orleans.  The guy is about 6 ft and handsome (40 years old).  He said he is taking a break from women, but when he resumes he still wants a UA wife.   LOL

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2015, 12:28:20 AM »
Today turned out to be a typical,  exciting day in the Wilson family.  Lisa (6yrs old) and I reserve Sunday mornings to have a father/daughter breakfast at IHOP while we let mama sleep in.  Today was no exception.  She quietly came into our bedroom and tugged at my arm whispering "Papa it's time to go to breakfast".  It is a real joy for me for us to have a little private time together.  No jealousy from mama either.  She seems to promote our relationship on a daily basis.  Lisa is learning English very fast in kindergarten. She speaks in complete sentences and even uses proper English like "yes" instead of ya, etc.  A couple times I asked her to translate for Larissa.

For the past week Larissa  has been haranguing me about getting the documents ready to submit for the AOS application.  In particular, she doesn't understand why I spend so much time reading the forum and all the news about Ukraine via the internet.   It finally got to the point today that I had to work on my truck as it was running rough and her Mercedes 560SL went to the dealership on Saturday.  Having to work tomorrow, it was important that I spend the day working on the truck so I had transportation to work tomorrow.

As expected she came out and suggested that I should be working on the documents rather than the truck.  While taking a break, I printed out a calendar and discovered that she has 9 weeks and 5 days before her visa expires.  I printed it out and showed her how much time is left.  Her face got red and she blushed after discovering she was BS'ing me about the urgency.  Her comment was something to the affect that it needs to get done as soon as possible.  In this respect she seems like any women I have known.    :D

Back to working on the truck, this turned out to be a challenge.  Lisa decided she was going to be my assistant mechanic and insisted on helping me whether I needed it or not.  Asking questions constantly and peering over the engine as I was working on it, she became a nuisance but I did not have the heart to tell her to go play in the house.

In the V-6 engine I got to plug #5 and discovered it was frozen.  Being an aluminum head I just knew that if forced I was going to strip the threads out of the head creating a very expensive repair.  After a few hours of penetration fluid and playing with it I finally said to hell with it, it is not going to come out.  Time for the 1/2 inch drive and force it out and see what happens.  Must have been my lucky day.  Even though it was difficult, the plug came out and the threads looked ok.  The new plug went in smoothly.     Passed that hurdle, but one plug to go........

In the mean time Larissa came out to the truck and asked me if I love her.  As usual she asks 'How Much?'  I told her very much.  She says "Very, very much"?  I said "yes, very, very , very".  She then brought out an object she was hiding behind her back.  It was some gadget for the kitchen that had two blades in a plastic center that was totally mangled.  I assumed that she took one of the recent gadgets I bought her for the kitchen and tried to  grind up something hard.  Nope, I should have known.  A victim of the garbage disposer!    :D   I asked her why she asked me if I loved her before she showed me the victim and she just giggled and walked away.  Gotta love this woman!

Now back to the truck, its already 11 p.m and I have one spark plug to go and have to work in the morning.  This was a first.  The spark plug has dual ground lugs on  the bottom of the plug and both were missing.  Only the center terminal was present.  Have no idea what happened to the ground lugs.  The plug wire end of the spark plug was missing the contact terminal and apparently the resistor was totally absent.  Have no idea how the coil was able to produce enough voltage to spark across  the extra 1 inch of gap without the resistor assembly.  Clearly this must have been the cause of it running rough the past week or so.  Once everything back together it runs great.

Larissa says "Mr Fixit, I knew you could do it"    LOL
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline JayH

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2015, 12:47:42 AM »

Larissa says "Mr Fixit, I knew you could do it"    LOL

Did you tell her you consulted RWD chat "experts" for ideas on how to extract that plug?
LoL !! ;D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline calmissile

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »
Things have been running smoothly the past couple of weeks.  The truck is running great now that the spark plug problem is resolved.  Now there is a problem with Larissa's Mercedes.  One of the brake calipers is intermittently sticky and sometimes the brake pedal goes to the floor.  Needless to say, she isn't driving it until I have time to fix it.

Yesterday was a big load off my shoulders.  She has been haranguing me daily about getting the AOS documents submitted and I finally mailed them off.  About 2 1/2 pounds of docs costing $50 to send Express Mail.

I had planned to work on her car after work yesterday, however she has now re-prioritized my 'honey-do' list and decided that enrolling Lisa in swimming lessons was more important than her car.  Easy for her to say, I now have to play taxi to all the ballet, piano, and ESL classes.     ;D

It's amazing how you can live in a city for 20 years and not know all of the buildings and community services that are available.  When researching swimming lessons, I found the YMCA web site on a  Google search and  Redlands has a swimming program.  Last night we went down there and discovered a huge building with a non-descript entryway that I had never noticed.  It turns out hidden in the back is a huge building.  We joined the YMCA and were lead through the building for a tour.  It is amazing.  They have two indoor pools, an outside pool, and many rooms for teaching dancing, a large gym with new machines and many other rooms and facilities.  Lisa's lessons start Monday, so I guess  her pushing the priority up was a good idea.  I suspect that the family will use the facility a lot now that we know it exists.  When we walked by the gym Lisa noticed all the people on various workout machines and patted me on the stomach indicating I could use some workout.  Larissa thought it was pretty funny.  I tried to ignore her laughing.

I suppose we are in a waiting pattern now waiting for the notifications from USCIS that they received the documents.  Perhaps I will have some  time now to continue working on the 'honey-do' list.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2015, 12:58:21 PM »
Don't forget to join Indian Princesses while you're at it.  Some of my children's best friends came out of the tribes of Indian Guides and Indian Princesses.  It makes a subset in your community here in Southern California.  Plus its a great group of guys that you get to be friends with.  Your daughter will go off and play with her friends, while you sit around and drink beer.

In the winter you go to Camp Whittle.  In the spring you go to Camp Fox on Catalina.  Great weekends with your daughter.

The Y's an Open Door.  Since 1844.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline calmissile

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
Just a few photos over the past couple of months...
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Steamer

« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
You have 2 very attractive ladies there!
Grats Cal.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »
Beautiful photos Doug. Thanks for posting...

HDL

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2015, 08:49:49 AM »
Great photos Cal.  How does your wife like the heat of California compared to the cooler temperatures of Kiev?

Offline calmissile

« Reply #134 on: May 12, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »
Great photos Cal.  How does your wife like the heat of California compared to the cooler temperatures of Kiev?

So far they both love it here.  It hasn't reached the 100 plus temps yet, but they won't complain.  They both love it here in America.

Daughter is nearly fluent in English with just 5 months in kindergarten.  Mama is trying to catch up with her with ESL classes.  The little one speaks to mama in Russian and me in English.  She gets a kick out of sometimes translating what mama says to me.

We are fortunate to have a large company located here that has hired a large workforce from FSU countries.   Larissa has made many friends and I think it helped allow her to settle in very quickly.

She is always in a great, happy mood.  It makes my life so much more fulfilled than it might otherwise be with someone else.  Our daughter keeps us in stitches all the time as well.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2015, 03:16:06 PM »
I'm not very tactful, but I don't believe I was being hard on him.  His skin color looks horrible and sickly.  The only time I have seen people with that "natural" skin color was people who had clogged arteries and heart problems.

There is no way I would be pursing a relationship, getting married, or taking on the responsibilities of a family and child if my skin looked like that.   I'd be getting medical attention and getting my final affairs in order.

He insulted me, so I defended myself.  People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Calmissile is a level 9 Cleric with rejuvenation, life extension, and magic smoke ability, something you seem unable to determine.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Muzh

« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2015, 06:52:34 AM »
I can't believe this was moved to "Members only" because some idiot decided to become a health expert.

Like the old commercial: "I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV."
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2015, 06:58:37 AM »
That is one adorable little princess you have there Cal. 

Offline fathertime

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2015, 07:00:42 AM »
One comment regarding the daughter in the pool as I viewed the picture.   Get her out of those 'water wings' ASAP...at her age swim lessons are appropriate, or hop in and show her the ropes.....if she is swimming around in that 'water wing' and the air comes out and she sinks, it could ruin people's day.....does mama know how to swim?   

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline calmissile

« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2015, 07:24:40 AM »
One comment regarding the daughter in the pool as I viewed the picture.   Get her out of those 'water wings' ASAP...at her age swim lessons are appropriate, or hop in and show her the ropes.....if she is swimming around in that 'water wing' and the air comes out and she sinks, it could ruin people's day.....does mama know how to swim?   

Fathertime!

I understand your comment and agree with your reasoning, however it is not as it appears.   Lisa is taking swimming lessons twice a week and is close to graduating.  Her mother is an excellent swimmer and so am I.    She uses the water wings when she wants to putter around our pool at home particularly at the deep end.  Either her mother or I , or both, are always at poolside monitoring her.  I tried to take a photo of her jumping off the diving board without the 'water wings', but she was always under water by the time the shutter clicked.  Thanks for your concern.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
Just a little update for those interested in raising your young step-children.

Things have come along very smoothly.  Larissa and Lisa have been here 6 months now while we wait for her Adjustment of Status to be approved.  I decided it best to allow mama to handle any discipline of Lisa.  It has worked well, and leaves me out of the middle until recently.

Today was the second time that Lisa has come crying to me about evil mama punishing her.   ;D   I have been careful to not undermine Larissa's authority and have waited until she indicates that she wants my assistance.  For the most part, Lisa follows my direction and has not caused me any problems.  She does however, tend to ignore what mama tells her.

Today Lisa was in the pool and mama was supervising her.  I was in the lab getting some work done.  Lisa came into the lab crying and said that mama will not allow her to go into the Jacuzzi.  I went with her to see what the problem was with mama.  Larissa indicated that she told Lisa to put on her thongs when she gets out of the pool because the pool deck is dirty and she does not want to get the jacuzzi dirty.  Lisa ignored her and would not put on her thongs (shoes).   Larissa indicated that not allowing her to get into the Jacuzzi was her punishment.

I had forgotten how much drama there is over little things when raising a young child.   ;D   I explained to Lisa that when she does not do what she is told, there will be consequences such as time-outs, etc.  Lisa understood.   I then asked her to apologize to mama for not following her direction, which she did.  Since Larissa did not indicate any time limit to the punishment, I suggested to Lisa that if she waits 30 minutes, maybe we can get mama to let her get into the Jacuzzi.  Larissa agreed.  Problem solved.  I have to admit it is much easier playing referee in this role compared to raising a child alone and being the 'bad guy' with no support from another parent.

Here are a couple photos from the pool within minutes after the punishment was rescinded.  Everything is fine.  Also, for FT's benefit, while playing on a plastic chair, she fell out of it in the deep end and swam to the edge of the pool.  I am getting more confident of her swimming abilities and she will continue swimming lessons at the YMCA for at least another year.  She is not allowed to be in our pool without our real-time monitoring.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2015, 05:48:49 PM »
Today was the second time that Lisa has come crying to me about evil mama punishing her. 

Kids like to divide and conquer. It's important parents back each other in front of the kids. Behind closed doors....that's another story. They can argue all they want on how to raise the kids. :D
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2015, 06:23:46 PM »
Larissa called me at work today to tell me that she and Lisa received their Form I797C Notice of Action from USCIS today.  The notice is a  Request for Applicant To Appear For Initial Interview.  The date set is for the end of July.

There were a few surprises.  The USCIS status page on-line does not show the NOA action.
Also, the Employment and Travel approval which normally precedes the Interview has not been granted yet.
The instructions for the interview requires that we bring the tons of documents that were already provided with the applications.

At any rate both gals are happy campers and look forward to the interviews and getting their green cards.

Lisa is out of school for the summer and we are fortunate to have a YMCA that offers a day camp for kids all summer.  They have many varied activities and she is having a great time.   She has also improved her swimming ability and jumps off the diving board and swims to the other end of the pool.

Things are going well.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline fathertime

« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »
    She has also improved her swimming ability and jumps off the diving board and swims to the other end of the pool.

You should now be home free regarding her being safe in the water, unless she has an accident such as bumping her head, holding her breath too long etc etc.. 

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline calmissile

« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
I would like to wish my wonderful Ukraine wife a Happy Anniversary today.  2 years of marital bliss and counting. :couple:
Doug (Calmissile)

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2015, 11:59:01 AM »
Congrats to you and the lovely Misses cal!

Offline Larry1

« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2015, 12:01:47 PM »
Congratulations on your anniversary

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #147 on: July 03, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
Congratulations to you and the Mrs.

HDL

Offline JayH

« Reply #148 on: July 03, 2015, 02:52:47 PM »
Congrats-- and may your good luck and good health continue !!!! :D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #149 on: July 03, 2015, 10:47:34 PM »
Congrats-- and may your good luck and good health continue !!!! :D

What he said!  After your rocky start to this venture, I'm glad that you have found such happiness and joy.

:couple:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1868
Total: 1879

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM