It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: For FSU ladies only.  (Read 10104 times)

Offline HiTech

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
For FSU ladies only.
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:47:52 AM »
With out doing a search, how long do you believe corn on the cob must be cooked?

HiTech
If you like aviation check out http://www.flyaceshigh.com

Offline OlgaH

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: For FSU ladies only.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »
Usually I buy fresh and juicy corn on the cob and I boil it for 5 minutes, sometimes even less than 5 min. 

Offline groovlstk

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »
HT,

I'm answering as proxy for my wife.

About 30 minutes.

:cluebat: :wallbash: :cluebat: :wallbash:

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »
Those soup habits die hard Groov. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »

I'm answering as proxy for my wife.

About 30 minutes.

:ROFL:   Yep, your wife is Russian.

Hightech, learning to cook, huh.   :ROFL:

Please try this one time.

Start with fresh sweet corn with smaller kernels.

Place in a pot of cold water with a dash of salt.

Turn on the heat/gas.

When the water reaches a boil, remove the corn and taste it.  I doubt you will put it back into the boiling water.

Offline Tamara

• Commercial Member
  • Online Russian Teacher and Translator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 02:08:18 PM »
HiTech,

My husband loves corn like nothing else!  First you boil water, then add a spoon of sugar, put corn cobs into it, close the lid, turn the burner off and let it sit for 20 minutes.  Mmmm, tasty....  :angel:
It's still a long time here in MN until we get fresh corn. You made me hungry.  :zappedhim:
http://www.PrimeLanguageServices.com
Live Online Russian Lessons and Certified Translations</b>

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:13:36 PM »
You going to tell us the "right way", as told to you Hi Tech? 

Offline HiTech

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 06:53:19 AM »
I grew up as an Iowa farm boy. Good fresh early corn is a true treat for me. I have no problem making a meal of 6 - 8 ears. Every year when I was growing up we would cook 2 gross of corn, cut it off the cob and freeze it.

I had been taught for years that it only took 5 - 10 mins to cook corn.

My wife refused to believe that it could be finished in anything less than 6 hours. She bought some corn last week. It was a little on the mature side so when I said 10 mins, she would not believe me. Even after we were eating the corn and it was a little hard do to the maturity, she put HERS back in cooked for another hour, when she ate again , and it still was the same , she refused to believe it was the corn.

So I was obviously wondering is this a wife or Russian thing.

HiTech

If you like aviation check out http://www.flyaceshigh.com

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 08:09:08 AM »
I grew up as an Iowa farm boy. Good fresh early corn is a true treat for me. I have no problem making a meal of 6 - 8 ears. Every year when I was growing up we would cook 2 gross of corn, cut it off the cob and freeze it.

I had been taught for years that it only took 5 - 10 mins to cook corn.

My wife refused to believe that it could be finished in anything less than 6 hours. She bought some corn last week. It was a little on the mature side so when I said 10 mins, she would not believe me. Even after we were eating the corn and it was a little hard do to the maturity, she put HERS back in cooked for another hour, when she ate again , and it still was the same , she refused to believe it was the corn.

So I was obviously wondering is this a wife or Russian thing.

HiTech

The first argument my wife and I had after her arrival was over food. I had picked up two big, luscious ribeye steaks that I planned to grill later that evening. At some point she started cooking on her own and when I walked in the kitchen I found her pounding the daylights out of my beautiful steaks with a meat tenderizer and then dredging them in bread crumbs.  :P

Had I had any sense I'd have shut up - in part because the steaks were fantastic prepared that way but mostly because those first few months are an extremely sensitive time and the worst thing you can do is say something that will hurt her already shaky confidence.

Offline Simoni

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 09:05:52 AM »
We got a micor-wave glove from my sister for Christmas.  You clean the fresh corn on the cobb, place it (two of them) in the micro for 3 minutes, and it is as delicious as boiling it in water.  The new "fast food."   ;D

Offline Kuna

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 09:39:49 AM »
The first argument my wife and I had after her arrival was over food. I had picked up two big, luscious ribeye steaks that I planned to grill later that evening. At some point she started cooking on her own and when I walked in the kitchen I found her pounding the daylights out of my beautiful steaks with a meat tenderizer and then dredging them in bread crumbs.  :P

Had I had any sense I'd have shut up - in part because the steaks were fantastic prepared that way but mostly because those first few months are an extremely sensitive time and the worst thing you can do is say something that will hurt her already shaky confidence.

Groov - God, don't I know what you're talking about. !!!  :o

Hi-tech,

You, like us, need to be patient.  There are some things you will learn from her.  There are some things she will learn from you.  I'll abbreviate my (and our) learning experience about steak.

Kuna wants steak.
Kuna buys steak.
Mrs Kuna says don't buy steak it's tough.
Kuna still buys steak.
Kuna tries to cook steak but before it's even in the pan it's not going well.
Kuna realises Mrs Kuna has made her mind up about steak and she will not eat it.
"Steak is tough".
Mrs Kuna doesn't like tough.
Beautiful steak probably gets turned into stew - albeit delicious stew, but it's no longer steak.

This episode repeats a few times and additional steps in the process to provide argument that steak CAN be tender... but it's really to no avail anyway.

Kuna wants steak.
Kuna buys steak.
Kuna tries to cook steak again - but... well you've got the idea.

Finally Kuna breaks down.

Kuna buys steak and no matter what happens on this night this steak will not become stew.
Kuna cooks steak.
As Kuna and Mrs Kuna sit down to steak, Kuna sees Mrs Kuna has no intention of eating the steak because "steak is tough".
First mouthful is something "not steak" from her plate.
Second and subsequent mouthfuls all orbit the steak but the steak is not to be touched.
Steak is tough.
Mrs Kuna doesn't like tough.
After some coaxing Mrs Kuna finally cuts off some steak and with great trepidation - she eats it.
Mood in the room changes... this steak is tender.
Next mouthful, and the one after are both appreciated, almost enjoyed, as is the rest of the meal.
Finally the steak is finished and we're not sure what happened, but this steak is tender steak.
Very soft.
Mrs Kuna likes soft steak.

I could go on because the debates over red meat in our house really go forever, but what I wanted to share is that there are some things you will know, without doubt, and without needing a second thought, but to your wife, and for your wife, you will be required to go right back to basics and be, like her, totally skeptical about the potential for steak to "not be tough".

Ultimately I realised that in my house the best approach is to not argue or debate a point, just do what you know is best.

If/when it works out for the best, I know my wife will quietly adopt my method/approach/belief/etc.

I do not expect her to tell me I was right - if fact when dropping those expectations I am further rewarded in other ways... 

BUT when something does NOT turn out as you're expected, expect, and live with, the "Oh Kuna" comments.

"Oh Kuna" is not a bad thing - it's just a victory dance for a Ukrainian immigrant - but it's not always pleasant... 

The point being, two people coming from two different backgrounds will take some adjusting.

You just wait until you sit in front of an architect and start talking about designs (needs/wants) for your new house... then you will wish you were talking about steaks, or corn, or anything else, rather than house designs.

Enjoy, and trust - you CAN come to enjoy it!!!   

:ROFL:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 10:07:19 AM by Kuna »

Offline Tamara

• Commercial Member
  • Online Russian Teacher and Translator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »
Kuna, great post!!!  With a good sense of humor and wise message.   :thumbsup:
http://www.PrimeLanguageServices.com
Live Online Russian Lessons and Certified Translations</b>

Offline Gator

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 06:39:35 AM »
Boil corn for 6 hours!  What does it look like?

Regarding beef, when walking around markets in Russia, some kiosks would have hanging meat and trays of meat.  I never could ascertain what anything was.   :noidea:

It could have been anything.  There was little fat, suggesting that the beef had never been fattened on corn before slaughtering.  Much worse scenarios were possible (use your imagination).

Thus, the RW has no or little experience with choice cuts of beef.  And we should not be surprised when they want to cut it into small pieces for soup and stew.

Pork was a different matter, and was usually good.  However, it is not something to be eaten medium rare.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 06:00:59 PM »
Remember this: BOILING IS BAAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Do this:
Fresh corn.
Aluminum foil.
Butter.
Salt,
Pepper.
If you really want a treat, Bacon.

TO DO:
Remove husks and silk.
Rinse.
Place on foil.
Wet hands.
Sprinkle on corn.
Butter corn.
Salt corn.
Pepper corn.
Optional: Wrap bacon around corn. NOTE: bacon will taste like corn :)
Roll up in foil and make it airtight by folding foil lenghtwise and twisting ends tight.
Now BBQ for no more than 15 minutes and turn frequently.
Enjoy :)

This is best done along with a really good steak and baked potatoe plus a salad.
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline MR01

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »
Even simpler, grow the stuff yourself, & when the threads die off pick it & eat it raw. Cookings only for the stuff that has to be stored.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »
My fiance, who is about 1 month from arriving, is still getting some static from her sisters. One told her early this week that things are so bad in America that people are eating the potato peelings  :o

I told her about potato skin appetizers and she replied "good". "Then nothing will go to waste". I should eat skins and she will eat white part.

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
See, crisis solved.  I am glad to see, that the Russians are worried about us.  Oh, I guess they are not worried, just the media telling them that their life is better.

"It could be worse, they are eating potato skins in America" news at 11.  They have a joke in Russia.  They read the newspaper everyday, so they know how good their life is  If they did not read it, then they would never know how good their life really is.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
"It could be worse, they are eating potato skins in America" news at 11. 

They're worried about the vodka, not the potatoes :)
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline Doll

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 05:05:52 PM »
They're worried about the vodka, not the potatoes
Super!

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
Oh, that is how the Russians make it? They make flour from the potato skins?  Shame you never met any villagers.   

Flour, sugar, water, yeast, and honey.  It is said with an H sound in the beginning in Ukrainian.  I know, messed up all the social status helping farmers and all. 

Offline Doll

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 05:47:50 PM »
They make flour from the potato skins
never heard of it

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
I was worried.  I threw away those potato skins my whole life.  My Mom always said there was starving kids in Africa, never a mention of the thirsty people in Russia.  I almost could not sleep tonight, thanks Doll. :P

Offline apple47

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 07:15:48 PM »
  Best tasting corn on the cob is when you leave it in the husk and throw it on the coals along the sides of a camp fire.  Cut up some potatoes and peppers and onions and wrap them up in aluminum foil along with butter and salt,throw them in the fire as well.   Good eatin.

...Larry

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2009, 08:40:43 PM »
  Best tasting corn on the cob is when you leave it in the husk and throw it on the coals along the sides of a camp fire.  Cut up some potatoes and peppers and onions and wrap them up in aluminum foil along with butter and salt,throw them in the fire as well.   Good eatin.

...Larry

You make "whodka" (the way my X pronounced it) with corn? Now I'm confused!

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
You make "whodka" (the way my X pronounced it) with corn?
Vodka is a clear liquid which consists of mostly water and ethanol purified by distillation — often multiple distillation — from a fermented substance, such as grain (usually rye or wheat), potatoes or sugar beet molasses.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodka

I don't know if corn is used to make 'little water', but one can make liquor from ANY vegetable containing some sugar - and most do - fermentation will transform that into alcohol.

Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541467
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3366