It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Penthouse Cabaret, Kiev-Imprisoned by mafia management in double billing attempt  (Read 7551 times)

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
This scam is quite common in Eastern European cities and even in London. Soho has a few of them where women stand outside the door front and solicit you to come in for a drink, then give you a bill that is crazy expensive. Why they don't get rid of these places I don't know.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
The lyrics of Odessa Mama contradict you.  I also have a tour guide somewhere that is about 20 years old that mentions tasteful topless entertainment in nightclubs in Russia.  Human nature being what it is, I don't believe that the commie party bosses didn't have dancing girls at their private parties.

I lived in Ukraine.  My better half is from Ukraine.  I traveled across Ukraine in Soviet times.  There existed zero topless bars or cabarets, so this is not a tradition.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

Here is Odesa Mama.  You tell me which lyrics support your assertion.  Keep in mind, "cabaret" at that time did not mean a topless performance.  It just meant a place you went to, to see people sing or tell jokes.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:35:03 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline High Plains Drifter

• Spouse's Country: Russia
This scam is quite common in Eastern European cities and even in London. Soho has a few of them where women stand outside the door front and solicit you to come in for a drink, then give you a bill that is crazy expensive. Why they don't get rid of these places I don't know.

Another stunt they pulled was sending two girls over to my seat do some kind of soft lesbi show combined with doing shots off each other. (It was probably water.)  I was told it was a "gift", but I knew better and sent them away.  I suspected that I would get charged for that somehow.  This is just a super sleazy place, but found in the high rent district of Kiev.

Here is Odesa Mama.  You tell me which lyrics support your assertion.  Keep in mind, "cabaret" at that time did not mean a topless performance.  It just meant a place you went to, to see people sing or tell jokes.

The lyrics, from the final stanza, translated from Yiddish, are below:
"The cabarets, restaurants,
You will still remember today
Who knows what has become of you?
Odessa, Odessa, I long for you!"
http://yiddishlyrics.blogspot.com/2007/05/odessa-mama_3272.html
So you are an expert in Yiddish, so that you know the proper translation?  Aaron Lebedeff died in 1960 at age 87.  This is a very old song about Odessa before WWII, (and probably WWI).  Odessa, the fourth largest city of the old Russian Empire, was quite ethnically diverse.  Over 40% of the city was Jewish before WWII, and its port welcomed sailors from around the world.  There would have been a large demand for cabaret shows, and ladies of the night, and the Jews or Turks would have been sure to profit from it.

I lived in Ukraine.  My better half is from Ukraine.  I traveled across Ukraine in Soviet times.  There existed zero topless bars or cabarets, so this is not a tradition.

Erm, you mean you never saw it.  It doesn't mean it didn't happen somewhere, like at a private club for the party bosses.  I remember, someone said there was no sex in the USSR.  Everyone was too busy working to create the workers' paradise...

You must have been something before electricity, ma'am, to remember the traditions in places like Odessa before the Bolshevik revolution.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 12:18:02 PM by High Plains Drifter »

Offline Boethius

Cabarets there, as I noted were places to see comedy shows and musical performances.  No nudity.  Same in Kyiv.  There were not "private clubs" there.  That would have been contrary to the law (private enterprise and exploitation), meaning an exceptionally large prison sentence.

There were places to meet in Kyiv (outside) for casual sexual encounters, based on what you wanted, including same sex encounters.  But in a country where every piece of property was owned by the state, and every building had numerous informants, the notion that someone could run a club the state did not know about is, frankly, silly.

I don't know who is telling you these fairy tales, but they are just that.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:21:07 PM by Boethius »

Offline High Plains Drifter

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Wow!  You have quite a memory!  How old were you at the time of the revolution in 1917 that you remember life in Odessa then so well?  Where did you learn to translate Yiddish?

Funny, but Isaac Babel's recollections of Tsarist Odessa with men riding in carriages towards the brothels "dressed up like hummingbirds in colored jackets", is just a bit different from yours.

Only Pollyanna would believe that the Communist Party bosses never hosted gatherings where girls danced on the tables for their entertainment for champagne, chocolate, or other such enticements.  They were above the law.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 07:16:22 AM by High Plains Drifter »

Offline Boethius

Brothels were not a "tradition" in Ukraine.  They may have existed, as they do everywhere, but it was not accepted as normal, productive work.  And, they certainly did not exist after the Revolution.

You are moving the goalposts, in any event.  A brothel is not a venue men attended with their spouses for entertainment purposes.
Only Pollyanna would believe that the Communist Party bosses never hosted gatherings where girls danced on the tables for their entertainment for champagne, chocolate, or other such enticements.  They were above the law.

Yes, they were above the law, however, I would say you are the one who is looking at this naively.  Every party official from raion level up had a driver, who was always a KGB agent.  Any such behaviour would be reported and punished.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 02:55:09 PM by Boethius »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1998
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1989
Total: 1999

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM