It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Languages and Children  (Read 17378 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Languages and Children
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2021, 01:02:40 PM »
Still, I am wondering how this issue has worked out in other Russian-American families. 
Journeyman  :)

My sister in law Speaks Japanese to her kids and then takes them to Japan
every summer for 3 months for Japanese school. I am really happy my Mom
wasn't Japanese, I would have rebelled.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Shadow

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2021, 12:47:20 AM »
My sister in law Speaks Japanese to her kids and then takes them to Japan
every summer for 3 months for Japanese school. I am really happy my Mom
wasn't Japanese, I would have rebelled.
The little Shadows are nearly fluent in 3 languages. This because I speak Dutch to them, MrsShadow Russian and between each other we often speak English.Initially we were worry about the lexicon, but a teacher married to a German husband advised us not to worry. By now both the ShadowJrs are one year ahead of the class in Dutch, and the teachers might be speaking English worse.As a result I also have picked up a lot of Russian.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2021, 10:38:04 AM »
Most all of the Ukrainian folks here in our group are fluent in 3 languages; and are trying to keep this going with their children . . . except probably not Russian so much, now that Putin has been identified as a killer.

One gal can claim fluency in 4 languages, as she got her PhD in France and married a Frenchman.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Languages and Children
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2021, 05:52:24 PM »

I know plenty of people who know three languages fluently. I've met Catholic priests
who are cRaZy fluent in many languages because they've been missionaries around
the world. I know a priest who was born in India, and he knows some Indian language
(I don't remember which), Spanish, English and Tagalog. He didn't want to come to
America to be a priest.

One day Dec 2004 a GIANT Tsunami came and swept him many miles out to sea. He
began praying and promised that if he lived he would go to the USA and serve as a priest.

He came to my city of Newark California and stayed for 5 years. When he went back to
India he had collected enough money to build a church in the region he lived. I contributed
many kopecks to his endeavor. He is an even better story teller than I am.

The Shadows have three totally different languages. Russian, Dutch and English.
Those three languages are very, very different. It's not like Spanish, Italian and
Portuguese where the languages are all based on Latin. It's not like Ukrainian and
Russian which are both Slavic based nor like Dutch and German which have a lot
of similarities.

When I went to Georgia, there were a few of my friends who knew radically different
languages. One gal was native in Georgian, fluent in Russian like many Georgians,
fluent in English although she could never retell a joke properly so that anyone would
understand it and she knew German and worked at a company that did international
trade with Germany and the USA.

Kids have amazing brains they are little sponges that can learn entire languages
simultaneously without knowing any language to start with.

FSUW don't do vague

Offline Donna_Pedro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2021, 02:05:51 PM »
My son speaks english, french and german (has not been used for a while), however what appears to be a problem now is his native Russian. When he comes to visit, we speak a combination of broken russian and english that nobody would understand, he does not have time to read in russian, but he listens to russian books while driving to and from work. His written russian ceased to exist at all.  :'(
Kaplah!

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2021, 06:22:18 PM »
The Shadows have three totally different languages. Russian, Dutch and English.
Those three languages are very, very different. It's not like Spanish, Italian and
Portuguese where the languages are all based on Latin. It's not like Ukrainian and
Russian which are both Slavic based nor like Dutch and German which have a lot
of similarities.

Dutch and English are quite similar, both are West Germanic languages.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
Dutch and English are quite similar, both are West Germanic languages.

True, I've been to the Netherlands and heard Dutch, it is similar sounding to German as is Celtic - Welsh. English too is very similar to German with many similar sounding words (Ich = I, for example). I found German fairly easy to grapple with when I learnt it in High School, French a lot harder even though I spent twice the number of years trying to learn it, six years as opposed to three. Even still I never really gained proficiency in either language beyond the basic really. I think if I had kept learning German though I would have had a much better chance of obtaining proficiency than French.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2021, 06:48:46 PM »
My son speaks english, french and german (has not been used for a while), however what appears to be a problem now is his native Russian. When he comes to visit, we speak a combination of broken russian and english that nobody would understand, he does not have time to read in russian, but he listens to russian books while driving to and from work. His written russian ceased to exist at all.  :'(

Donna, I think Russian language would benefit your son far better than French & German. I too have learnt French & German albeit to a basic level. I have hardly ever used either and haven't been to France & Germany a lot. I've been a few times to different parts, Austria a bit also, many speak English although some don't. Too be often though it isn't something I've found any big need for in life. I think I arranged snowboard bindings in German once where they didn't speak English and booked into a cheap Hotel in France to stay over the night, etc. A lot of stuff can be done easily online now through mobile phones and Google translate has come in a lot so it's less needed than before.

Russian has a lot more going for it in my opinion, most French & German women aren't all that interested in dating foreign guys, they have enough prospects in their own country. The more better your son knows Russian the easier it will be for him to date Russian women which is a great pool of women to chose from I think. I also think that more opportunities exist in the FSU. In the west most stuff has been developed and so unless you're lucky to be in a particular area there is little room easily move into a market. In FSU countries though it's all still developing in my opinion so that leaves a lot more room to get in and grow being careful of corruption etc if course.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline ML

German language
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 07:52:13 AM »
I found German fairly easy to grapple with when I learnt it in High School,

I didn't find it easy at all when I took 2 semesters at beginning of my college days.

I had planned to get degrees in Physics and had found early on that proficiency in either German, French or Russian was required to get Masters and PhD in Physics.

But then I became interested in Engineering . . . and later became interested in Accounting, so Physics fell by the wayside.

German language didn't come back into play for me until I started business trips to Europe.
But most all business people in Europe spoke some English, so didn't really need the German that much.

One interesting time . . . I was waiting at airport for a gal to arrive to spend time with me.  Her plane was delayed several hours, so I went outside where some nice benches were in shade.

Saw a nice looking late 30s gal sitting there, so went up to her and asked if I could sit with her.

She agreed and turned out she was from Austria and waiting for a man whose flight also delayed several hours.

She had some English and I had some German.

We talked for a couple of hours or more combining the two languages and hand signals, etc.

After first hour or so, I told her that if our expected mates didn't show up . . . then the two of us would spend our vacations together.

She said . . . yes, of course.

But then we saw on the board that her man's plane had landed.

My gal's plane also arrived a few minutes later.

But what might have happened otherwise . . . .
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Donna_Pedro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 08:44:53 PM »
The more better your son knows Russian the easier it will be for him to date Russian women which is a great pool of women to chose from I think. I also think that more opportunities exist in the FSU. In the west most stuff has been developed and so unless you're lucky to be in a particular area there is little room easily move into a market. In FSU countries though it's all still developing in my opinion so that leaves a lot more room to get in and grow being careful of corruption etc if course.

Thank you. Fortunately his Russian is still enough to chat with girls, but he grew up here, all his friends are americans, here is more of an american anymore than a Russian.  It takes him about a week to start speaking normal Russian language when he goes to Russia to see his dad and the last existing grandma. One dy we went to a consulate of RF to create a Power of Attorney and he had to sign his full name - it took him about 30 minutes, whispering  letters to himself and getting all sweaty from nerves. His own name!! In his mother tongue!
Kaplah!

Offline BC

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2021, 12:09:12 AM »
Both our kids identify themselves as more Italian than anything else.  They both speak Russian but would no longer be considered truly fluent, especially when it comes to writing.  My wife despite a new passport is staunchly Russian.  Me? Having lived in so many countries, a mixed bag.

I disagree with 'you are what you eat' but do agree with you are the sum of where you lived.

Offline BBrides

• Commercial Member
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 01:47:33 AM »
My wife has been speaking mainly Russian with our daughter since birth and me Dutch. My wife also makes it a point to speak Ukrainian with her as do her grandparents when they are here or when we go to them. And lastly since we do speak English at home still as well, we decided to give all cartoons in English from when she was little to give her another free language.

I was a bit worried when she was little, but everything is fine and she started talking at a normal age and she almost does not mix the languages (unless maybe when she doesn't know a word in the language she is talking in). She is now 5,5 years old and speaks Russian and Dutch fluently and speaks basic English and Ukrainian, but understands everything in English and Ukrainian.   
www.beautifulbrides.eu - a 100% free Russian and Ukrainian dating website.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Languages and Children
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 05:48:24 AM »
Angel Eyes speaks to Mini-me almost exclusively in Russian, he
also attends a ballroom dance class and an art class twice per
week exclusively spoken in Russian. Angel Eyes wants him to
learn Spanish too.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 05:52:11 AM by 2tallbill »
FSUW don't do vague

Offline ML

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 09:38:42 AM »
I think most of the above  intentions are off track when deciding what language children should speak.

Best that you enroll your children and grandchildren in Chinese language classes.

China will rule the world in 20 years or less.

Those westerners who can communicate in Chinese will have a leg up in the economic realm.

That's what you want for your offspring . . . right ?

For the sake of your offspring . . . don't be in denial.

Offline ML

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 09:39:52 AM »
Not a child . . . but my wife notices that she tends to use a lot of English words when she is talking in Ukrainian with her friends back in the home country.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958
Most Online Ever: 12701