It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: finding a burial plot /loved one in russia  (Read 1178 times)

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
finding a burial plot /loved one in russia
« on: September 22, 2016, 10:20:28 PM »
Hoping some on here may be able to offer help or advice / ideas here that may help us to find my father inlaws grave site in Russia

he died back in the early 80s, [ we do have a date and cemetery location , largish Russian city  ] however at the time my wife was under 18 and did not get any official documents as her mum was still alive at the time to receive that information

approx. 2 years after my wifes dad died she and her family moved across the soviet union to Ukraine , where they stayed living after the soviet union broke up
in the last few years her mum has died and now she and her brother are looking to find her fathers gravesite etc to update and re do his memory stone

while they have looked through many family documents  there does not seem to be any paper copy of his plot no and location just the cemetery location and city

her brother recently visited the city where he died and the cemetery where he was buried , but when he asked the cemetery authoritys about his fathers grave onsite he was told no records exist from back then as to where he would be buried , after searching the cemetery it appears many memory stones are ethier missing or so badly damaged they are unreadable etc

so has anyone got any ideas we may not have though of to offer up to locate our father inlaw ??

we are investigating the local funeral directors in the city , possibly they may have kept records from that era as to plot no and names etc
we are contacting the local churches to see if he may have been recorded with one of them with a minister attending as the family does not think so but cannot be sure
we are contacting the local gov authority to investigate if they have some register of burial plots from that era and who was buried in them

it would be incredibly sad If we are unable to correctly locate him and renew his memory stone as a loved dad to his family still alive

so if you have any thoughts please feel free to post up

thanks in advance
SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline alex330

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: finding a burial plot /loved one in russia
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 09:52:02 AM »
I may be able to help with my network. Will contact you privately to discuss.

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: finding a burial plot /loved one in russia
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 05:39:12 PM »
thanks for the pms,

I will keep you posted as we try to progress this over the near future
regards SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701