It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: red flags  (Read 8763 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: red flags
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
Perhaps I am wrong, but I was thinking that listing "Christian" simply means she believes in God and practices only a few times per year. Listing "Orthodox" however, seems to me that she is more convinced of her faith path and roots.

When our daughters were dating, it seemed that was the case. If a young man made it to the courtship stage where he was frequenting our home for dinner and we at some point (when appropriate) asked that question, it seemed that the not-very-actively practicing guys mentioned "Christian" or "I believe in God" as opposed to those who seemed comfortable answering "Orthodox."

The eldest married an American who converted to Orthodoxy prior to their marriage, the middle daughter is comfortable with a "Christian" partner, and the youngest married a boy who identified himself as Orthodox, but in reality struggles as to what he believes. Fortunately, he works with me and we have some interesting conversations about life and faith topics. He is extremely intelligent and I enjoy our interactions.

I'm just impressed as hell that you got them all with significant others that you appear to approved of.  Well done, Mendy!
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 02:45:29 PM »
Thanks, Jone. We tried to raise them to fly on their own at some point. In reality, there is a danger of parents overly influencing such decisions, and especially in the Eastern part of the world. The overbearing approach rarely works well over the long term, so a parent must be careful not to overstep. That is most difficult, and we each make mistakes (well-meaning, but still mistakes) in the process.

Once the daughter or son has made up their mind, one must then work, within appropriate boundaries, to help the couple adjust and find their own success. That often includes the parents adjusting to the child's decision.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
Glad you didn't introduce them to any reprobates from this forum.  I would never allow my children to marry someone like me.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Miquel Westano

• Restricted
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 09:52:54 AM »

Paranoia will destroya.

I think I will use that one often.  I like it and it is a good thing to keep in mind.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2245
Total: 2255

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:06:00 AM