It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439471 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1725 on: April 01, 2020, 03:13:31 PM »
BC, Chelseaboy is right, the cracks are starting to appear in Italy and only three weeks in:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/singing-stops-italy-fear-social-unrest-mount-coronavirus-lockdown

A March on Rome could follow, albeit marching two metres apart.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1726 on: April 01, 2020, 06:20:17 PM »
Just goes to show you can't beat the good old Soviet Union:

http://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-rescues-soviet-era-ventilator-design-from-disused-factory-to-prepare-for-coronavirus-pandemic/30520264.html

They'll have the place up and running again in no time! :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1727 on: April 01, 2020, 06:49:12 PM »
http://thehill.com/policy/technology/490523-bill-gates-calls-for-nationwide-shutdown-shutdown-anywhere-means-shutdown

Bill Gates wanting all of America completely shutdown is like asking all nations in Europe to shut down at the same time although the outbreaks between nations stagger. Gate's plan would reduce the number of infected but it won't eliminate the virus. Since the virus escaped China in January, it took only two months to bring entire nations on it's knees. Currently there is no solution to stop the virus entirely.

Although Italy did a good job reporting infections and deaths compared to other nations, thousands dead haven't been reported. I'm sure all nations have underreported to some degree.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-is-far-higher-than-reported/ar-BB122vvc?ocid=spartanntp

Guys and gals, me thinks that some of you are getting far too wrapped up in trying to keep up with and make any judgments about all the 'statistics' being thrown around.

This thread gets more attention because everybody can read it. I proposed a number of times Gator's coronavirus thread get put in odds and ends. It doesn't get exposure in the anything goes forum since those not logged in can't read it.

With the exception of coronavirus, hospitals worldwide can handle all those things no problem. Coronavirus is in it's infancy. You think hospitals are overwhelmed now? 1 out of every 8300 people on earth experienced coronavirus. Just wait till everybody gets a taste of coronavirus. Most nations on earth haven't had their first outbreak yet so the numbers will continue to skyrocket. Also keep in mind, deaths aren't the only thing we worry about. Just a handful of sailors got the virus and an entire aircraft carrier has to go park somewhere and unload. If a handful of sailors got the flu, got drunk, got abortions, got cancer or got HIV, the aircraft carrier would still be combat ready for war.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1728 on: April 01, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »
I am listening to Coast to Coast (which I don't do often, but it can be interesting). 

Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai is being interviewed.  I thought I'd listen, based on the description of the program -

World-renowned systems scientist Dr.Shiva Ayyadurai discusses exactly what a coronavirus is, our response to it, and why vaccination may not be the best solution to the pandemic.

That's not what's being discussed, it's more of a conspiracy theory.  I'm not certain I agree with what he is saying, but he is sort of in line with Chelseaboy, i.e., COVID-19 is being manipulated by elites who don't like populist leaders.

If you get a chance tonight, listen to him.  Even if you don't agree, it's thought provoking and he's not a kook.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/upcoming#   

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/stations  (where you can listen).  On the West coast, the show has not aired yet.

Here is Dr. Ayyadurai's website -

http://vashiva.com/

This post was composed without the aid of google.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 11:21:03 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #1729 on: April 01, 2020, 11:05:01 PM »

I get my haircut from the same gal that does my wife's hair. She already texted us saying she'd be happy to drive out to the house if and when she/we need to get our hair taken care of.

Do you / your hairdresser understand the concept of social distancing ?  :wallbash:

Offline msmob

« Reply #1730 on: April 01, 2020, 11:12:10 PM »
And either have to buy a load of stuff or pay a steep delivery charge, no thanks ;D

Besides it's no real difference to delivery, there are people handling the goods either way.

With click & collect they do it contactless - you stand behind a line, staff member walks up to a table pops the good on there then walks back. You go to the table just inside the front of the store pick up the goods they have left after they walk off. Any other people waiting que at least 2 Metres behind. So only hand contact on the product same as home delivery. The wear gloves, I wear gloves, so same difference :)

Loads of words, but you didn't answer the Q ..

What is 'essential' about DIY?   I get food shopping, pharmacies, utilities and health workers plus civil servants..

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1731 on: April 02, 2020, 12:24:05 AM »
Loads of words, but you didn't answer the Q ..

What is 'essential' about DIY?   I get food shopping, pharmacies, utilities and health workers plus civil servants..

DIY work is essential to me to finish off getting my house converted. We can't all sit around for the next few months like we're retired, work has still got to be done and the economy kept moving.

Health workers? You've not yet learnt how to wipe your own bum yet Mobers ;D

Offline BC

« Reply #1732 on: April 02, 2020, 12:31:31 AM »
BC, Chelseaboy is right, the cracks are starting to appear in Italy and only three weeks in:

http://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/singing-stops-italy-fear-social-unrest-mount-coronavirus-lockdown

A March on Rome could follow, albeit marching two metres apart.

Trying to promote doom, gloom murder and mayhem again so you can feel better about yourself?  Trying to raise your self-esteem on the backs of others less fortunate is sick.  Go see the head doc and fix the true problem between your ears.

Food lines are everywhere, it does not mean nations and unions will fall apart.  Sure, times are hard so instead, do what many here are doing, go help a needy neighbour.

http://www.newsweek.com/pennsylvania-food-bank-draws-mile-long-line-cars-trump-approves-states-coronavirus-disaster-1495222 

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1733 on: April 02, 2020, 12:40:48 AM »
Trying to promote doom, gloom murder and mayhem again so you can feel better about yourself?  Trying to raise your self-esteem on the backs of others less fortunate is sick.  Go see the head doc and fix the true problem between your ears.

Not at all, I just think it's only fair that you have the heads up on what could very likely be coming your way. As a rich American guy living of a good pension, etc in a foreign country you have so far been able to isolate yourself from what is happening out in Italian society. That won't last though if things go badly downhill, the problems out in Italian society will be brought to your door sooner or later. Best you open your eyes now to the state of affairs and if you can prepare yourself.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1734 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:06 AM »
Not at all, I just think it's only fair that you have the heads up on what could very likely be coming your way. As a rich American guy living of a good pension, etc in a foreign country you have so far been able to isolate yourself from what is happening out in Italian society. That won't last though if things go badly downhill, the problems out in Italian society will be brought to your door sooner or later. Best you open your eyes now to the state of affairs and if you can prepare yourself.
'

Trench,

My Rome correspondent' ..not the worst affected region, by any means ..hasn't suggested detecting such tension ... 

You should be more concerned about the Welsh wanting to throw out Englishmen who go back and forth to their parents when we're supposed to be socially distancing..

You are bored and it shows ..

Offline BC

« Reply #1735 on: April 02, 2020, 01:40:26 AM »
Bill Gates wanting all of America completely shutdown is like asking all nations in Europe to shut down at the same time although the outbreaks between nations stagger. Gate's plan would reduce the number of infected but it won't eliminate the virus. Since the virus escaped China in January, it took only two months to bring entire nations on it's knees. Currently there is no solution to stop the virus entirely.

Although Italy did a good job reporting infections and deaths compared to other nations, thousands dead haven't been reported. I'm sure all nations have underreported to some degree.

Billy,

all along you have been right about one thing:  As long as someone has an active case the virus can't be eradicated.  The other Bill is also correct, that with stringent measures we can get ahead of this bug in an effective way.  In theory, a virus can be eradicated, but yes it is a lot of work.

In Europe, there are pretty strict controls at most borders.  Although not as draconian as China, lockdown efforts are working.  Next will be a wave of widespread testing for still active/asymptomatic cases, those with antibodies and those that remain at risk to further limit the spread and most importantly reinfections and local flare-ups. This is already happening in Germany and some places started in Italy but stopped due to lack of testing materials.  I expect that will be resolved.  Some EU countries are already planning their exit strategies and the next phases of recovery.  Italy is phasing in a mobile tracking app to try and get a handle on it, much like was done in eastern countries like S. Korea.  Although it may not be mandatory to use it, it may well end up that employers will want to know the status of their employees.  We now have to print carry a form in case of controls to confirm travels are necessary.  The app has a QR code generator that would make it easier when stopped by police - scan n go.

http://www.giornalettismo.com/app-contagio-privacy-come-funziona/

Since yesterday, Italy went from a 15-day doubling rate to 17 days and should continue to rise even faster.  As long as the borders are tightly controlled, wider testing and including antibody testing implemented and restrictions lifted in a logical and conservative fashion I'm pretty confident we can stay ahead of the bug over here and hopefully prevent reinfection from other countries that are a bit behind.

Normally northern Italy has very crowded airspace with 8 or so busy airports and international hubs.  Now mostly filled with cargo planes and rescue helicopters ferrying patients.  Compare that to US airspace.  The US faces a much higher risk of reinfections almost everywhere since state borders are likely not being controlled and air passengers still able to pretty much go wherever they want.  I would hate to see NYC get a handle on this bug and recover just to be hit with a new wave. 

Offline BC

« Reply #1736 on: April 02, 2020, 02:24:17 AM »
Best you open your eyes now to the state of affairs and if you can prepare yourself.

Trench,

Again, you haven't a clue.

Over here I'm Irish. You know - one of those poor suckers you look down upon and make jokes about along with Polish jokes (interchangeable btw) when out with your chest-puffing friends. (oops forgot that you don't have any)

We have many friends, immigrant and Italians.  If any of them finds themselves in trouble or needing food or such we'll share and vice versa.  When I go to the local Muslim store to buy great olives from Marocco and bread today, I'll again leave a couple hundred behind to anonymously help fill the grocery baskets of less fortunate families I have never met.

What will you do to help a needy neighbour today?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 02:26:23 AM by BC »

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #1737 on: April 02, 2020, 05:00:59 AM »

Been working from home 3,5 weeks now, been to the store twice - since I don't live in the city I can't use home delivery so I put an order online and just picked it up when it was packed and ready to go, met exactly 1 person  :rolleyes:

There is no shortages of anything so I buy enough to get me by for about two weeks - no hording here- , then refill what is needed.

Right before both Ukraine and Sweden closed borders my girl was here for a month, little did we know it would be 4-5 months (as it seems right now) before we could be together again  :(
So that is the biggest struggle for me, is not having her here or being there.
Thinking of ways to smuggle her in some way so we can spend this "quarantine" together. Getting quite bored spending 24/7 at home alone.

Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline BC

« Reply #1738 on: April 02, 2020, 05:14:06 AM »
Can imagine that's tough Nightwish..    Will probably be a while but it will pass.  I remember when we were a couple of months apart early on..

I assume she is with her family?  If so maybe best at the moment?

Offline msmob

« Reply #1739 on: April 02, 2020, 05:39:08 AM »
OK, CB

Let's use Nightwish' figures

Deaths in Sweden leapt up by  59 that's ( from 180)   33% in Sweden  http://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa   

UK's increase 589 (was 1789, yesterday)  to 2352 31.4%

Let's keep checking the numbers ...

Is CB say'sing doing nothing would be the right tactic, given Sweden is reducing the numbers of folks that should be gathering ?

So, Sweden deaths now at 282 up 182 [edited: as should be up 102]- as pointed out by GQB   from 180 ...... that's nearly 57 percent  over ONE HUNDRED percent in a day ...

I realise that's far too early to draw conclusions but if that rate kept up...  things will need to change

http://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

'Avlidna' is deaths

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 06:54:45 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

« Reply #1740 on: April 02, 2020, 05:43:17 AM »

little did we know it would be 4-5 months (as it seems right now) before we could be together again  :(
So that is the biggest struggle for me, is not having her here or being there.
Thinking of ways to smuggle her in some way so we can spend this "quarantine" together. Getting quite bored spending 24/7 at home alone.

According to some on here ... "you should have planned, better"

I get your pain, ( I was talking to a guy who's wife is in Russia caring for her Mum) but if she's your g/f, I guess she would not have been allowed to stay ((

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1741 on: April 02, 2020, 05:55:46 AM »
So, Sweden deaths now at 282 up 182 from 180 ...... that's over ONE HUNDRED percent in a day ...

LMAO! See what I mean?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1742 on: April 02, 2020, 06:26:00 AM »
LMAO! See what I mean?

So math isn't his favorite subject. You don't need math to win internet arguments. Just fantasy, denial and obfuscation

:ROFL:

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #1743 on: April 02, 2020, 06:43:36 AM »
Can imagine that's tough Nightwish..    Will probably be a while but it will pass.  I remember when we were a couple of months apart early on..

I assume she is with her family?  If so maybe best at the moment?

That is the worst part, I am home alone, she is home alone - her daughter is isolated in the Uni in St Pete and her mom living with a close friend and her family in a small village in Ukraine.

So we both just sit here in videochat 10-15 hours a day talking and watching each other work/cook/doing choirs or just watching movies together.. :D

Her business is closed for now so she does her part time work with the bank she works for, but that is things she only do by remote and can do from anywhere in the world..
so it kinda sucks...  :rolleyes:

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #1744 on: April 02, 2020, 06:50:22 AM »
According to some on here ... "you should have planned, better"

I get your pain, ( I was talking to a guy who's wife is in Russia caring for her Mum) but if she's your g/f, I guess she would not have been allowed to stay ((

She is "only" my girlfriend so far - would have been change of status this summer, now postponed until late fall, but she already has residence permit here as living with partner ;)

She still has her business there, even if that now is closed down, and she kept her part time work with the bank which is all done remotely (as a risk analyst)

Offline msmob

« Reply #1745 on: April 02, 2020, 06:59:44 AM »
So math isn't his favorite subject. You don't need math to win internet arguments. Just fantasy, denial and obfuscation

:ROFL:

Gosh, I posted an arithmetical error ..  'Mea culpa' .... why do 'you lot' misspell everything ? 'math'  (?) AND  use the incorrect term for arithmetic? 

Offline BC

« Reply #1746 on: April 02, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »

So we both just sit here in videochat 10-15 hours a day talking and watching each other work/cook/doing choirs or just watching movies together.. :D

Wow... you are lucky.  Back when we first got together the area my wife lived in didn't have internet and even I had a pretty rotten one.  Just phone calls, the expensive kind : /

10-15 hours a day is a lot... I don't think I even talk to my wife that much in two, maybe three days : / 

See.. there is a brighter side of things - you're not that bad off at all :)))))))))))))

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1747 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:13 AM »
Trench,

Again, you haven't a clue.

Over here I'm Irish. You know - one of those poor suckers you look down upon and make jokes about along with Polish jokes (interchangeable btw) when out with your chest-puffing friends. (oops forgot that you don't have any)

We have many friends, immigrant and Italians.  If any of them finds themselves in trouble or needing food or such we'll share and vice versa.  When I go to the local Muslim store to buy great olives from Marocco and bread today, I'll again leave a couple hundred behind to anonymously help fill the grocery baskets of less fortunate families I have never met.

What will you do to help a needy neighbour today?

BC, rich people think they have friends when really they are there because they are wealthy, likely influencential and throwing their money around. The moment rich people are no longer rich and can no longer do that is the moment they find out how many 'friends' they really have. Most are left shocked :o

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1748 on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:21 AM »
'

Trench,

My Rome correspondent' ..not the worst affected region, by any means ..hasn't suggested detecting such tension ... 

You should be more concerned about the Welsh wanting to throw out Englishmen who go back and forth to their parents when we're supposed to be socially distancing..

You are bored and it shows ..

Of you, never Mobers ;D

I am the only one in my car going back & forth and I am the only one at my pad in Wales so hence I am social distancing.

You know most Welsh are really English Mobers ;)

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1749 on: April 02, 2020, 07:32:43 AM »
Lockdown UK deaths increased by 569 today,making a total of 2921... 43/1m pop

Non- lockdown Sweden deaths increased by 43 today,making a total of 282.... 28/1m pop.

The gap has widened....and still no sign that economy crashes/people losing jobs/ were necessary.

Moby's lack of basic Arithmetic skills have been noted.

Just saying it like it is.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1899
Total: 1910

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM