It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Blah, Blah, Blah Edition XXVII  (Read 7691 times)

Offline DaveNY

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Blah, Blah, Blah Edition XXVII
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »
Your wife was in her thirties when she finished?  She was competing mostly with young men a decade younger, who were unmarried, did not have children or were contemplating children, and had been coding since childhood..  Our son did his first youtube video on coding when he was 8 years old.  So, she was at a disadvantage vis a vis her competition, and had to "up" her game in competition to them.  It wasn't about the education.

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Surprisingly my wife was far from the oldest student in her boot camp. There were about 30 - 35 students in her class. There were about 7 or 8 students that were definitely older than her. A couple of the guys had to be 50+ or at least close to it. Most of the 7 or 8 students who were older were male, as were 75% of the class, but there were 1 or 2 female students who were older than my wife. Even talked to 2 lawyers in the class. From what I heard most of the class had some type of STEM background and were looking to update their skill set to something that would get them employed in a matter of months instead of 2 or 3 years of college/university.

Don't know about STEM programs in Canada but one of the reasons private for profit programming boot camps exist in the US, at least in greater NYC, is because their courses are more current than what is offered in our universities at the undergraduate and graduate levels and they offer employment counseling to get their graduates employed immediately. According to my wife the job search program at the boot camp was far better than any job search help she had at university. Like most of those who graduated the program my wife had multiple job offers waiting for her when she graduated.

The programs tend to emphasize that they're teaching the newest versions of older popular programming languages and the newest programming languages. Don't know if it's true but still today the boot camps are well attended.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541279
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701