It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: It’s KYIV  (Read 8226 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
It’s KYIV
« on: May 30, 2019, 03:53:18 PM »
I just do as I please, . . .

Then I say you are a complete liar.

I know you would not dare, even if it pleased you, to go to Beijing and repeatedly call the city Peiping or anything other than Beijing.

And I know you would not dare, even if it leased you, to go to Mumbai and repeatedly call the city Bombay.

As you should well know, I have spoken out here repeatedly about people bullying you.

But since you are being simply obstinate and a liar (and it has nothing to do with what you please . . . but rather your desire to be disrespectful) about the correct spelling and pronunciation of the capital city of Ukraine, then . . .

Your first and last warning from me.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
It’s KYIV
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
Then I say you are a complete liar.

I know you would not dare, even if it pleased you, to go to Beijing and repeatedly call the city Peiping or anything other than Beijing.

And I know you would not dare, even if it leased you, to go to Mumbai and repeatedly call the city Bombay.

As you should well know, I have spoken out here repeatedly about people bullying you.

But since you are being simply obstinate and a liar (and it has nothing to do with what you please . . . but rather your desire to be disrespectful) about the correct spelling and pronunciation of the capital city of Ukraine, then . . .

Your first and last warning from me.

I did say Peking & Bombay I just thought better, so although I do as I please I would generally refer to them as their current name Beijing and even Mumbai.

Kiev and Kyiv though pronounced differently still sound very similar so I would still say Kiev rather than Kyiv as it virtually sounds the same. Plus knowing more Russian than Ukrainian it would fit in more with any attempt at Russian I spoke. I wouldn't attempt to speak Ukrainian since I know practically nothing of it.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
It’s KYIV
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:44:33 PM »
Of course how could I have forgotten Bombay Rice, wouldn't quite sound the same being called Mumbai Rice I think ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
It’s KYIV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 01:09:19 PM »
...and so I wonder...why not say Roma instead of Rome, Muenchen instead of Munich, Maynila instead of Manila?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 01:13:10 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

It’s KYIV
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:19 PM »
...and so I wonder...why not say Roma instead of Rome, Muenchen instead of Munich, Maynila instead of Manila?

I am in complete agreement with this.

We should be pronouncing and spelling the names as the countries wish.

Not just Muenchen (actually München) but Deutschland, Norge, Sverige, etc.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

It’s KYIV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:37:45 PM »
Of course if we did just that, then even Texans wouldn't know where Tenochtitlan is, or if it's actually edible.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline SANDRO43

It’s KYIV
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
Generally, foreign toponyms are "adjusted" in a different language to make them more readily familiar and their writing/pronunciation easier. Capitals and major cities/rivers are the first to follow this fate - with some exceptions like Livorno, which became Leghorn to the Brits when a victualling base for the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars, maybe because its local white fowls had prominent leg spurs:

Should Bollywood now become Mumblewood ;D?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 05:40:11 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
It’s KYIV
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »

Because Rome, Munich and Manila is the English version of those cities.   Kyiv is the English version of Київ.

Offline GQBlues

It’s KYIV
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
Because Rome, Munich and Manila is the English version of those cities.   Kyiv is the English version of Київ.

Which English dictionary is it you’re basing this on?

Offline SteveInBoston

It’s KYIV
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 06:14:09 PM »
Ukrainian phonetic translation.

К = K
и = y
ї  = i
в = v

Offline GQBlues

It’s KYIV
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 07:00:53 PM »
So it became obvious to you now too that the ‘English’ version still have it as Kiev, right?

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
It’s KYIV
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 07:09:31 PM »
Walked RIGHT on go this one GQB..

Please visit your very own nation's web site for Ukraine..

http://ua.usembassy.gov/

Where is it based?

KYIV

This has not been your day))

Offline GQBlues

It’s KYIV
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »
When you sober up a bit and quit languishing in pub logic, come back and understand what the dialogue was. So indulge me which English dictionary defines Kyiv and not Kiev.

And if it’s all about English version/s, I wonder what San Franciscan think about that subject et al...
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 07:47:44 PM by GQBlues »

Offline msmob

It’s KYIV
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 08:01:11 PM »
GQB,

I think you may be confusing your lifestyle and drinking habits with mine...

Your first mistake is a refusal to accept a 'howler'..

You second was to suggest a guy trying to lose 5kg more before getting hitched that he drinks booze ..at all

I crave a pint of ale / glass of wine))

Carry on failing..but thanks for the entertainment

Offline GQBlues

It’s KYIV
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 08:47:21 PM »
 Not sure what ails you in your life bro, but alcohol cannot possibly be your last grasp at happiness, no?

Offline ML

It’s KYIV
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 08:48:36 PM »

No Steve you are missing the point.

When any NECESSARY translations are done for English (and other) readers, they should only be done to use the Latin alphabet.

Thus we need translations of Cyrillic, Arabic, Oriental languages, etc.

But we do NOT need to change anything for Roma, München, Deutschland, Norge, Sverige, etc.

Any names that are spelled by home countries that have Latin based characters, should NOT be changed by outsiders and further those countries should not lower themselves to ever use other than their original words.  i.e.  Italians should never use Rome in any documents, advertising, etc.  And those in Deutschland should never use Germany.

And for those countries that do not have Latin based characters, we should use without fail the official   Latin translated spelling that they wish.

Offline SteveInBoston

It’s KYIV
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 09:53:32 PM »
I do not understand what all this fuss is about.  I just use the map names, in English.  If I'm Swedish or Italian I'll use the map names per those languages.

Kiev and Kyiv seems to be the hot button topic.  Kiev is the map name, in English, for the Russian version of the city.  Kyiv is the English map name for the Ukrainian version.

Offline GQBlues

It’s KYIV
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 10:21:57 PM »
Good example is Banska Bystrica. In Latin, it would be Villa Nova, which in English would be ‘New Town’. I doubt Slovaks would appreciate it if you called that city in the English version.

Anyone know a city called The Angels?

Kyiv is Kyiv. Period.

Offline msmob

It’s KYIV
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 12:24:34 AM »
The 'fuss' in this case in the Ukrainians asking us not to continue using the Russified version of their capital city's name..

That is why the UK, US, etc., use KYIV..

Who still calls Ukraine, 'The Ukraine'?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
It’s KYIV
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 10:00:05 AM »
The 'fuss' in this case in the Ukrainians asking us not to continue using the Russified version of their capital city's name..

That is why the UK, US, etc., use KYIV..

Who still calls Ukraine, 'The Ukraine'?

I do :D I just don't do it on here so much to stop people harping on about it. I'm sure most people in the UK believe it is stil called Kiev and will call it that, if they know of the other version they probably think it is interchangable or another valid pronounciation/spelling of it, but still essentially meaning the same.

Offline msmob

It’s KYIV
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2019, 10:07:39 AM »
Not sure what ails you in your life bro, but alcohol cannot possibly be your last grasp at happiness, no?

You aren't sure?  You can't know ! ;)

I certainly crave a pin / glass of wine - but am more determined to fit that 1989 DJ ( tux)  and make an 'honest woman' of SC ..

Offline msmob

It’s KYIV
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »
I do :D I just don't do it on here so much to stop people harping on about it. I'm sure most people in the UK believe it is stil called Kiev and will call it that, if they know of the other version they probably think it is interchangable or another valid pronounciation/spelling of it, but still essentially meaning the same.

This is so typical Trench

He now knows why it's called Kyiv / Ukraine  ( as opposed to 'the' Ukraine - but uses the term to 'wind up' folk ..

..and you go to Kyiv with that attitude and wonder why you keep coming back with 'excuses' for failure ?

Offline SANDRO43

Re: It’s KYIV
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2019, 03:44:29 PM »
IINM, the name Киев/Київ is pronounced, both by Russians and Ukrainians, as KIIV. Hence the UKR transcription into the Latin alphabet is rather more accurate phonetically - since the middle E seems imperceptible (please correct me if I am wrong).

The city's name is said to derive from the name of Kyi, one of its four legendary founders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:49:37 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2019, 08:06:43 PM »
IINM, the name Киев/Київ is pronounced, both by Russians and Ukrainians, as KIIV. Hence the UKR transcription into the Latin alphabet is rather more accurate phonologically - since the middle E seems imperceptible (please correct me if I am wrong).
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiev

As I hear it from folks who live there:  The Ukrainian version sounds more like Cave, whereas the Russian version sounds more like Keev.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
As I hear it from folks who live there:  The Ukrainian version sounds more like Cave, whereas the Russian version sounds more like Keev.

Something sounding like Cave sounds awful, Keev sounds much better. Especially when you think Kyiv would sound similar to Keev, maybe a bit like Kyeev or something.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541271
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2956
Most Online Ever: 12701