It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Savchenko released and back in Ukraine  (Read 14052 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Savchenko released and back in Ukraine
« on: May 25, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »
Note:  She looks pretty good after several reported hunger strikes !!

- - - - - - - - -

After almost two years of captivity in Russia, Ukrainian military pilot Nadiya Savchenko, 35, is finally back at home.

After a Ukrainian government plane landed at Boryspil airport in the afternoon of May 25, Savchenko came out to talk to dozens of journalists, who immediately surrounded her.

“Pull back! All of you, please, don’t touch me,” she yelled. “I’m sorry, but I spent two years in a single cell, I lost the habit of being with people.”

Savchenko was exchanged for two Russian intelligence officers, Yevgeny Yerofeyev and Alexander Alexandrov, who were captured in Ukraine’s Donbas in May 2015.

More here:

http://www.kyivpost.com/article/content/ukraine-politics/released-savchenko-arrives-in-kyiv-hints-at-political-career-414591.html
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: Savchenko released and back in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:34 PM »
Russian activity in the Eastern Ukrainian area is minimal.  Savchenko is returned.  Hmm, we must be getting near June when the Sanctions are up for review.

Russians are SOOOOO predictable.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Brasscasing

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »
I'm just glad she's no longer a hostage.

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline JayH

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:59:17 PM »
Note:  She looks pretty good after several reported hunger strikes !!
-

That is despite the Russian attempts to break her.
Worth watching by some of the weak kneed appeasests on the forum is here short speech on arrival--her defiant fighting speech illustrates her mental strength to get though the ordeal.

Particularly of note is her determination-in not taking a backward step in her beliefs.
Bravo Nadya Savchenko-- a Ukrainian Patriot
Video has english sub titles.
http://www.facebook.com/rferl/videos/10154279322404575/

More
http://tsn.ua/ukrayina/pershiy-den-svobodi-yak-vdoma-zustrichali-savchenko-661290.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 01:14:08 AM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »
Russian activity in the Eastern Ukrainian area is minimal.  Savchenko is returned.  Hmm, we must be getting near June when the Sanctions are up for review.

Russians are SOOOOO predictable.

Predictable in that they are incapable of getting anything right.
It has already been made clear that sanctions are not only going to stay--but likely more will be introduced.
The Kremlin troll army has been busy with the disinformation program in the attempt to divide western nations and attempt internal destabilisation over issues like this,>

For the record-the Russian activity in the east has been ramping up in recent times. With 7 Ukrainians killed over the last weekend and many injured-the highest numbers in over a year.There are over 32,000 estimated Russian forces currently in eastern Ukraine-- and over 60,000 estimated  very close to the Ukrainian border.Very large amounts of equipment has been sent into Ukraine for the Russian forces.
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 06:35:08 PM »
I'm glad she's free - just a shame that it had to be done as part of an "exchange of spies."

It's a bit ironic, however, to read this:

Quote from: KyivPost
Savchenko was barefoot when she appeared before the journalists and supporters in the airport. She said she wanted to feel the soil of her homeland.

...when, in the photograph, she's walking on a concrete path.  :o

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:32:11 AM »
On arrival she declined to hug Tymoshenko( who had gone to the airport with a bouquet to greet here) and only shook hands at the instigation of photographers.In the video below she gives Poroshenko the cold stare.
This is quite a complex situation- Savchenko has her own ideas on the overall situation.

Given that she is the one who has had to live through her incarceration it is hardly surprising that she feels angry.

None the less-- one of the comments below -" As someone wrote today changed the two women to one man"

As I said previously-- for some of the weak kneed here--listen to her determination- and uncompromising attitude.There is talk of her being Presidential material--if that became a reality Putin and his Kremlin cronies will be sh...g their pants.
http://www.facebook.com/rferl/videos/10154279325649575/

« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 03:40:10 AM by JayH »

Offline JayH

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 03:37:45 AM »
The difference in the welcomes given the released prisoners in Kyiv and Moscow says more about the Russian-Ukrainian conflict than dozens of words.
Here is the main difference between modern Ukraine and modern Russia. Ukraine is a country of citizens who care, as Savchenko emphasized after her return.

Ukraine: the country that cares

Nadiya Savchenko was greeted as a heroine in Ukraine’s capital. The entire world has been glued to her release. There is no politician who would not want to bathe in the light of her fame and glory at least for a few minutes. There is no citizen who has not sighed with relief at the news of her release.

The Russian intelligence officers were met only by their wives. No Russian politician even thought about showing any interest in the fate of the “heroes of Novorossiya.” The few journalists who wanted to report on their return to their homeland were not allowed at the airport

http://euromaidanpress.com/2016/05/25/93505/#arvlbdata

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 05:30:13 PM »
Nadiya Savchenko was greeted as a heroine in Ukraine’s capital. The entire world has been glued to her release. There is no politician who would not want to bathe in the light of her fame and glory at least for a few minutes. There is no citizen who has not sighed with relief at the news of her release.

While I applaud the release of Ms Savchenko, the bolded part is nonsensical hyperbole.  If he is referring to Ukraine, then quite possibly he's right.  However, and very unfortunately, most of the rest of the world have never heard of her, as much because most of them care no more for Ukraine than they do for North Korea (and, in any case, can't locate either country on a map of the world).

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:29:42 PM »
Ukraine than they do for North Korea (and, in any case, can't locate either country on a map of the world).

I probably could, but I don't have maps of the southern hemisphere.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
Notice Nadiya's 'butch' haircut?

What's with that . . . not that it matters, as Seinfeld says.

Offline ML

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
"At her press conference on Friday, Savchenko called Russian President Vladimir Putin a "dickhead" . . . "

My, my . . . such language she picked up in prison !!

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 01:44:29 AM »
I probably could, but I don't have maps of the southern hemisphere.

That's fine, ML.  I'm sure that Ochka can find New Zealand on a map for you - when you visit the sanest part of the world!  8)

Offline whynotme

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:10 AM »
A monkey with a grenade. If she is the best this country has grown...  ::)

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 02:22:18 AM »

At least she hasn't stolen millions from her own people, unlike most of the politicians in the FSU.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2016, 06:48:32 AM »
>A monkey with a grenade. If she is the best this country has grown...

obviously a reference to Putin, (careful you're being watched by the Chechen FSB now), who with his mafia, have looted 25% of the wealth of Russia while keeping the people in poverty, killing or jailing any opposition, oh DAAAAAAAAAAAA, the money is for purchasing musical instruments, hahahahahahahahaha

OTOH, Nadiya has shown tenacity and courage unmatched by anyone, ANYONE in Russia, and this is clear for ANYONE to see, if she WANTS to be the leader of Ukraine, then she WILL BE the leader of Ukraine!  If she becomes an example for the rest of the country to follow, Russians better find some OTHER country to steal from besides their own and their neighbors!  Oh, and go screw yourself and the horse you road in on, and I don't care if I get banned for saying this.

Offline treadmilldude

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2016, 07:25:59 AM »
From everything I have read about that captured Ukrainian woman, she is a very brave person indeed. She has no fear of Putin at all, IMO. Only loathing.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 07:56:58 AM »

Still falling for the propaganda I see.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2016, 11:55:42 AM »
While I applaud the release of Ms Savchenko, the bolded part is nonsensical hyperbole. If he is referring to Ukraine, then quite possibly he's right.  However, and very unfortunately, most of the rest of the world have never heard of her, as much because most of them care no more for Ukraine than they do for North Korea (and, in any case, can't locate either country on a map of the world).

Of course he is referring to Ukrainians.  The article is a translation of one appearing in Ukrainian newspapers.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2016, 07:00:20 PM »
Of course he is referring to Ukrainians.  The article is a translation of one appearing in Ukrainian newspapers.

Then it should have been translated accordingly.  The author should surely have realised that Euromaidan Press is read outside Ukraine.

Offline cc3

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
"At her press conference on Friday, Savchenko called Russian President Vladimir Putin a "dickhead" . . . "

My, my . . . such language she picked up in prison !!

"...in prison" ??? Here, in Lviv, we have a great craft beer, from the brewpub 'Pravda':

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pravda-putin-huilo-putin-is-a-dickhead/324152/

Offline Boethius

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 07:33:01 PM »
Then it should have been translated accordingly.  The author should surely have realised that Euromaidan Press is read outside Ukraine.

I believe the author doesn't speak English, so he didn't translate the article.

Euromaidan press translators are volunteers, not professional translators.  It was clear to everyone else in the context.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
I believe the author doesn't speak English, so he didn't translate the article.

Point taken, but irrelevant to my comment, which stated:

Then it should have been translated accordingly.

Euromaidan press translators are volunteers, not professional translators.

Again, noted, but why not?  There are dozens of professional translators in Kyiv and the rest of Ukraine.  Surely it shouldn't be too difficult to find one, or several, who is patriotic enough to volunteer their translation skills for free (or a nominal amount).

It was clear to everyone else in the context.

No, it wasn't.  I would bet any amount in the world that I was not the only person to interpret that statement the way I did.

Offline ML

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »
No, it wasn't.  I would bet any amount in the world that I was not the only person to interpret that statement the way I did.

No it was just you.  Your toilet circling the wrong way causes you much confusion.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
Point taken, but irrelevant to my comment, which stated:

Again, noted, but why not?  There are dozens of professional translators in Kyiv and the rest of Ukraine.  Surely it shouldn't be too difficult to find one, or several, who is patriotic enough to volunteer their translation skills for free (or a nominal amount).

Professional translators don't work for free.  Euromaidan Press is a labour of love for certain (mostly) diaspora Ukrainians.  They are translating Ukrainian press articles into English in their free time so that a wider audience is informed about events in Ukraine.

I was referring to posters here.  I suspect most did understand it in context.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2257
Total: 2268

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM