It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 3rd BASE  (Read 33701 times)

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
3rd BASE
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:51:02 AM »
Since turning 45 earlier this month ( btw, thank you for the b-day wishes :) )
I have been sort of in reflection mode and have been considering the events of the past year, how they have affected my life, and where I will go from here.

3rd BASE

I am happy again.
I did not think I would ever say that.
I have made the best of my troubles by determination, commitment, and fear.
My biggest fear in life  ...   wasting what little time I have left.
I feel I have turned the corner in several ways..
1. I have hit the age where I must admit that I am old. lol.
2. I have passion and desire and a fire in my soul again.
3. I am more active and mobile than I ever have been before.
I guess that 3rd BASE is a point where I am running full speed and rounding 3rd and coming to home plate.
I feared that I would be holding at 3rd and be left stranded there for a long time, with no chance of scoring or reaching home under my own free will.

I am very fortunate to have the life that I do.
I have worked my ass off to get to this point, I have also squandered many opportunities that were in front of me in the past. I made a decision that I will not die with unfulfilled dreams. I have no bucket list. I am a bucket list.
I have many wonderful friends all over the globe and I am lucky to be a part of their lives and am proud to know so many amazing individuals.
I had to say goodbye to 3 people that were very dear to me this year. 
I will miss them dearly and I will never forget them.  I will continue on keeping their spirit alive and I will never stop striving to be a better person than I was yesterday.
This board has given me a lot of insight into my personal well being (or lack thereof)
and I want to thank all of you who have been so kind and so generous to help a brother when he was not doing so well.
Thank  you. :)  you know who you are.

ok , so what next?
Well, I am going back to Moscow with my step son in November for several weeks to visit my in-laws and have some  fun in Russia again. :)  Can't wait to see everyone again.

a look back at the stupid and amazing things that happened over the last year...

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9135552/yearinereview2012/

Enjoy.. 

See Ya

Jason

Offline Vaughn

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: 3rd BASE
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »
Jason, nice post - and one I can readily identify with, although at 45 I was at one of the lowest points in my emotional life. Life will always improve and appear brighter to those with your outlook and determination. Never let it go.

Enjoy your trip to Moscow.

Vaughn

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
Happy Birthday! You made some improvements in your life and it'll not only benefit yourself but also the people closest to you too.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 08:55:53 AM by BillyB »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 12:11:16 PM »
1. I have hit the age where I must admit that I am old.

Now that's just plain silly to think.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
Now that's just plain silly to think.

True!  How are you going to cope when you get to 46?  Or 50?  Or even 60?  :ROFL:

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 07:32:12 PM »
Happy Birthday Jason!

At 45, trust me here, you ain't old. You just ain't as young as you use to be but, very far from old. No matter how you feel. 10 years from now you'll look back and realize how far from old 45 really is  ;D Keep going at it like you are 25 until you can't

Offline Doll

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 03:12:32 AM »
Jason, you can consider yourself  "old" at this age if you don't have 1.family, 2. job, 3. place to live, 4. friends.
You have all the above, so enjoy life.
Congratulations on your birthday!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 03:14:09 AM by Doll »

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:19:34 AM »
Thank you for the responses.
I remember sitting in a classroom in high school, given the assignment to read Orwell's book " 1984 "
and thinking to myself, what age will i be in the year 2000?  hmm i will be Really OLD!
So, I guess it depends on your perspective what OLD means to you.
I think I realized I wansn't a kid anymore when I was at a McDonalds and when placing my order the girl called me "Sir"   lol   ouch.

@Doll
thank you :)
My second cake with leggy women this year  WOW.
If this is a Russian tradition, I think i know where I will be on my B-day next year  :)

@FP
Yes, you are probably right.  so,  I will keep on acting like i'm 20 until it's time for geritol and ben gay.  heehe.

@ML
Well that makes sense as I am a pretty silly kind of guy. :)

@Anotherkiwi
I think a jump a week, a jet ride to cabo, and a tall margarita is how I will cope  :)

@BillyB
I hadn't considered that. That's a very insightful statement.  Thank you :)
You are from the Seattle area too?

@ Vaughn
Yes true , thank you.  It's  a  necessary evil that we must hut low points in our lives, otherwise the high points would have no meaning. :)

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 11:10:40 AM »
I think I realized I wansn't a kid anymore when I was at a McDonalds and when placing my order the girl called me "Sir"   lol   ouch.

It gets worse, but with the right attitude it can be a source of personal humor. Five years back I visited my credit union, sat down with a young female bank officer, and giggled when she said, "It appears you might qualify for our free Senior Advantage checking..."    And just last year, a young new coworker was overheard referring to me as "that elderly guy". As you well know, it's all about one's frame of reference. I recall thinking as a young boy, "1984 - that's a long way off." And that 26-year old substitute teacher babe in high school Trigonometry certainly seemed "old" to me.

Stay young at heart by always continuing to crank out new memories.

Offline IAmZon

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 01:38:38 PM »
Happy Birthday, but you are not old ... unless you say (THINK) you are. 

(If that is you in those videos, I can't understand why you would be hung up on time, or mortality?!?!?)

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »

It gets worse, but with the right attitude it can be a source of personal humor. Five years back I visited my credit union, sat down with a young female bank officer, and giggled when she said, "It appears you might qualify for our free Senior Advantage checking..."    And just last year, a young new coworker was overheard referring to me as "that elderly guy". As you well know, it's all about one's frame of reference. I recall thinking as a young boy, "1984 - that's a long way off." And that 26-year old substitute teacher babe in high school Trigonometry certainly seemed "old" to me.

Stay young at heart by always continuing to crank out new memories.

free Senior Advantage checking..  ohhh  LOL  ouch!
Thanks for that story. That's awesome :)

LOL  gone are the days of thinking that the 26 year old Sub is Old for sure  lol.

Damn, I love babes who teach  math and sciences. You had a hot trig teacher, Muzh has a hot SIL who teaches physics ..  How did I always get the dorky old professors  :wallbash:

I did have a huge crush on my 2nd year spanish teacher. She was fine ..  like.. whoa ..
She even flurted with me sometimes I think just to make me study harder.  hehehe

Then there was this 22 year old Sub that was floating around our school for a few months.. I got her for weight training class one day..  lol.
I will never forget, she was watching some of the guys do the clean and jerk wrong and she blew a whistle, and told everyone ( 20 hot sweaty 17 year old guys )  to gather round while she demonstrated the "proper" way to do the clean and jerk.  She squatted down and said " you need to  keep your back straight, like this .... then her shirt fell open  and there were the twins all free and just hanging out  ..  lol
She performed the rep and asked if anyone wanted to see it again,  of course we all said , yes , oh yea,  uh huh, yeah we need to see it again ...  lol

She was very popular after that.   :clapping:

Happy Birthday, but you are not old ... unless you say (THINK) you are. 

(If that is you in those videos, I can't understand why you would be hung up on time, or mortality?!?!?)

Thank you Riv.
Let me put it this way.  to a 20 year old, yes I am old.  To a 60 year old, not so much.
I am not hung up on mortality at all. I have a clear understanding on what it is and I am happy.
In the video you can see why.
Being an age means nothing other than what you think it means. I totally understand that, and I am at the age where most people are set in their ways and unwilling or unable to change. I am the opposite of that.  Like you Riv, I am an adventurer, always looking for something new and pushing the limits of what is possible.  I am one of the few humans on this planet who can actually fly. I know what it feels like to be a bird. I know why they say the birds are always smiling. They have a good reason for it.
I have shifted my life around this year. If I were still at home saying whoa is me, i'd probably be on anti depressants and eating like a sow.  That was a path I could have easily taken.  But I chose not to.
I am happy to be my age, and I would not change it for anything. I am happy being me.
I look forward to the next chapter. It will be the best one yet. I have no doubt about that. :)

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
This is awesome. I dare you not to laugh

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 06:47:24 PM »
This is awesome. I dare you not to laugh

Damn funny! Thanks for the treat  :D

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 07:25:42 PM »
Awesome Jason! Props for being such a free-spirited soul.....

The Berlin song video, I figured had he been at full terminal velocity speed, he would have to fall from at least 50,000 feet up (no oxygen mask) to the point where he opened his chute @ 3:20 mark...so I'm curious and would like to ask, how 'slow' can you regulate downward flight speed (on average) with those wingsuits?

Either way, cool stuff, man!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 07:36:19 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 10:31:49 PM »
Awesome Jason! Props for being such a free-spirited soul.....

The Berlin song video, I figured had he been at full terminal velocity speed, he would have to fall from at least 50,000 feet up (no oxygen mask) to the point where he opened his chute @ 3:20 mark...so I'm curious and would like to ask, how 'slow' can you regulate downward flight speed (on average) with those wingsuits?

Either way, cool stuff, man!

I use a flight data recorder to display and record all of my flights. It's like a black box for a jet except its really small and it fits in my glasses. It  gives realtime data and I can see it live while making a flight. I can also choose to have it on screen in the video camera.

the display in this shot reads:
Flight time:17seconds                 
Altitude:1679ft
HSpeed: 71.7mph
VSpeed: 21.2mph <----------
Distance: 0.280mi
Glide: 3.4

So from that data you can see that a wingsuit reduces your vertical drop energy by redirecting it to  your horizontal distance ( flying ) :)
Glide is 3.4:1  meaning for every foot of drop I travel 3.4 feet horizontally

so I would imagine speeds of about 30mph are pretty average.

You know what really struck me about this video, is how Josh can  fly a wingsuit, listen to his music, lip sinc berlin,  AND chew gum, all at the same time   LOL.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:43:35 PM by newjason »

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 03:45:55 AM »
...You know what really struck me about this video, is how Josh can  fly a wingsuit, listen to his music, lip sinc berlin,  AND chew gum, all at the same time   LOL.

In absolutely perfect time!  Obviously a man of many talents.  :toocool:

Must admit I was slightly distracted, watching the altimeter unravel down into the orange zone a few seconds before he pulled the rip-cord!

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 07:18:06 AM »
I use a flight data recorder to display and record all of my flights. It's like a black box for a jet except its really small and it fits in my glasses. It  gives realtime data and I can see it live while making a flight. I can also choose to have it on screen in the video camera.

the display in this shot reads:
Flight time:17seconds                 
Altitude:1679ft
HSpeed: 71.7mph
VSpeed: 21.2mph <----------
Distance: 0.280mi
Glide: 3.4

So from that data you can see that a wingsuit reduces your vertical drop energy by redirecting it to  your horizontal distance ( flying ) :)
Glide is 3.4:1  meaning for every foot of drop I travel 3.4 feet horizontally

so I would imagine speeds of about 30mph are pretty average.

You know what really struck me about this video, is how Josh can  fly a wingsuit, listen to his music, lip sinc berlin,  AND chew gum, all at the same time   LOL.

Thanks for the info, Jason. I often wondered how flyers were able to determine (regulate) take-off point to landing target and hit it. I've had romantic (maybe delusional) fascination about getting up there someday and donning those suits and just glide. But first, need to figure out a way how to keep myself from firing projectiles when I reach a certain height.

I'm not a mathematician ( I lose count past 50 women ) but I thought the deflection speed (v/h) energy will be roughly equivalent to the displaced velocity. I thought the speed horizontally would be roughly equivalent to the vertical velocity lost. IINM, based on the info above, I didn't realize you (can) actually go a lot faster (?)...almost like the thrust principle of a turbo engine.

Cool stuff, Jason!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:19:42 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline IAmZon

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
I am one of the few humans on this planet who can actually fly. I know what it feels like to be a bird. I know why they say the birds are always smiling. They have a good reason for it.
I have shifted my life around this year. If I were still at home saying whoa is me, i'd probably be on anti depressants and eating like a sow.  That was a path I could have easily taken.  But I chose not to.

AWESOME!  I watched the video front to back twice.  I have a new bucket list now. Gracias

If you jump off a rock like that, you will never have a problem getting a woody ... and there will always be women that make a line. You are "my kind of guy!"  (Careful, many here think that's a bad thing hahaha)

Offline Gator

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
When I saw the thread title I had the wrong impression of what the thread would contain.  Keep in mind that "third base" in my younger days meant pulling  her panties down.

If you believe you are old now, you have some major disappointments ahead of you.  Don't go there.  Instead, keep working on your attitude as you seem to be doing.  You are certainly enjoying life.    Keep it going.    Life is not a dress rehearsal. 

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 05:45:02 AM »
Thanks for the info, Jason. I often wondered how flyers were able to determine (regulate) take-off point to landing target and hit it. I've had romantic (maybe delusional) fascination about getting up there someday and donning those suits and just glide. But first, need to figure out a way how to keep myself from firing projectiles when I reach a certain height.

I'm not a mathematician ( I lose count past 50 women ) but I thought the deflection speed (v/h) energy will be roughly equivalent to the displaced velocity. I thought the speed horizontally would be roughly equivalent to the vertical velocity lost. IINM, based on the info above, I didn't realize you (can) actually go a lot faster (?)...almost like the thrust principle of a turbo engine.

Cool stuff, Jason!
Keep in mind, flying is actually more like gliding (at least at this point ) So your speed will never be any faster than Terminal. That's about 100mph. A wingsuit gives you more surface area to catch the air and  have some control of your speed and direction.  The vertical energy is re-directed to horizontal Distance or travel, not speed.  Average speed is about 75 mph horizontally. This means that jumping from an object that is 1000 meters high, you can potentially travel 3000+ meters away from that object.

Previously, before wingsuits, it was not possible to travel great distances because you mostly just fall straight down.
Jumps like this were not possible before wingsuits. But now...hehe   check it out ...
I took the camera footage and synced it with the other cameras perspective.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/9147625/bullet/

Offline newjason

• up up and away...
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 06:07:33 AM »
When I saw the thread title I had the wrong impression of what the thread would contain.  Keep in mind that "third base" in my younger days meant pulling  her panties down.

If you believe you are old now, you have some major disappointments ahead of you.  Don't go there.  Instead, keep working on your attitude as you seem to be doing.  You are certainly enjoying life.    Keep it going.    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Yes Gator,
It meant, and still means that . :)
Just be patient .. the thread is still young...
I have plenty of panty stories ..

When I got my haircut yesterday, I noticed a few grey ones...
:)
I'd rather they be turning grey, than not be there at all.

You know something? when ever I land near people who don't see me coming in from above,  they always say the same thing...
I say , Hi
they say ,  where did you come from ?

LOL

This summer we landed on a Major street in LA, it was in the early morning , it was dark and pretty quiet, and we touched down on the street a  totally freaked this taxi driver out.   He kept saying,  holy sheet,  holy sheet, where did you come from man?  holy sheet holy sheet ... I told him.. from up there dude .... then we ran away... still hearing ...

holy sheet..

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 06:26:10 AM »
Holy Sheet is right !

That quick little video embodies your signature....

Live like there is no tomorrow.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 10:21:21 AM »
That's just an awesome perspective! I can't even imagine the adrenalin rush.

Keep in mind, flying is actually more like gliding (at least at this point ) So your speed will never be any faster than Terminal. That's about 100mph. A wingsuit gives you more surface area to catch the air and  have some control of your speed and direction.  The vertical energy is re-directed to horizontal Distance or travel, not speed.  Average speed is about 75 mph horizontally. This means that jumping from an object that is 1000 meters high, you can potentially travel 3000+ meters away from that object....

Maybe the word 'faster' wasn't the right word to describe what I was referring to. I was referring to the relationship between v/h vertical distance to horizontal distance, or as we say geologically, the slope ratio: 3:1 as in the sampling shown above (hypoteneuse of a triangle).

What I'm not quite sure about is, how the relationship of speed v distance. If TV is equal to 100 mph, would it also mean (because you deflected your downward fall along the hypoteneuse line at the rate of 3 (distance) :1 (depth) in a given time) if you can actually equate the 'speed' by multiplying it with a factor of 1.05, or 105 mph; which is the same equation to determine the hypoteneuse of a triangle. I actually *generated* more distance (h vs. v) in the same given time. It's been a while since our grade school years...so just wondered. I just don't see how you can just 'apply' tripling the speed because you've gone 3 times the distance.

Doesn't seem plausible. Maybe CalMissile can chime in and give me some basic physics lessons.  :(
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:35:37 AM by GQBlues »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 11:05:03 AM »
Jason, nevermind...I just now thought about this right now. There would never be any constant relationship because the deflection of the fall is, and always will be inconsistent, so time is largely variable. You're right. You can never be faster than the speed of a straight and downward fall. Had time given is constant, then speed will always be multplied and equal to the rate of distance.

Offline Ulysses

• On On
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:34 AM »
..............you are just rounding 2nd .....!!!  keep up it up :popcorn:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541001
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1889
Total: 1900

+-Recent Posts

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM