It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302479 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2017, 01:15:31 AM »

I'll keep it coming GQ. This really is a strange but wonderful place!

I'll post some photos of Georgian dishes and some McDonalds too. BTW I do not eat much McDonalds.

First we will do the McDonalds but before that a breif description of American fast in Tbilisi and Batumi.

There are about 6 McDonalds in Tbilisi. There is one in Batumi that I am aware of. It is a combination McDs, a no import tax store and a gas station. It is where I get my gas which they call benzene or petrol here. Gas is what we know as propane and a lot of cars have tanks in their trunks for it. It costs about half as much to run a car on propane than gasoline. And gasoline is about 75% MORE than it is in the States. Not everything is cheaper. But I stray from the subject of food...

The fews times I was here it did brisk business. Usually a crowd about 5 people deep lined up in front of the counter.

In Batumi we got a McDs that looks like this:

I drive past this building most everyday. When you enter the lot you can either turn right to go through the drive through or go straight ahead for the gas pumps. I have seen photos of the inside. There is a lawn and landscaped plants growing up part that slopes up.

Here it is from the other side. The black things sticking up are there are the gas pumps.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 01:17:14 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2017, 01:47:21 AM »
Great photos, Maxx  - keep 'em coming

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2017, 02:33:09 AM »
Thanks Moby

My first Big Mac in Tbilisi. About early December 2015. The thing about American fast food here including McDonalds is the taste is somewhat off from what you get back home. I think it might be in their sauces. Also Georgians like to sneak in a lot of cucumber into their meals. I suppose it appeals to the Georgian pallet.

Besides McDs there is Wendy's with a Dunkin Donut usually nearby. Wendy's is usually at the entrance of a grocery store chain called 'Smart.' Their logo is orange and white squirrel. And at the exit there is a Dunkin Donuts. If you spend enough at the Smart market they give you tokens to spend at the Wendy's and DDs store.

Another grocery store chain is called 'Goodwill.' In America Goodwill is like a Salvation Army store but here in Georgia it is a very well stocked store with a rather large selection of wine and spirits. While mentioning spirits, liquor is sold everywhere here, 24 hours a day. The smallest store or kiosk has got the stuff.

Here is what Georgian Lari (GEL) looks like

As of today November 22, 2017 here is 2.71 Lari to the USD.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2017, 03:12:01 AM »
All the other fast food places are Burger King (not many), Subway, Dominoes and KFC. Most Georgians like KFC. But as for the other fast food places they are either rejected as awful or are embraced as fine cuisine. There is seems to be no middle ground.

The one restaurant chain that has equal quality to its American counterpart is the Hard Rock Cafe. The price for a meal there is not cheap. For two people I usually spent about $60-$75. But the food was great. About the only place in Georgia that makes a good burger. The other places including McDonalds usually screwup the food. The worst offenders add something to the ground meat that is hard to define other than it shouldn't be there. But HRC keeps their standards.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
maxx-

Pretty darn elaborate architecture for a MickeyD joint/gas station! Best I've ever seen...Great pictures. That BigMac is nothing like I've ever seen before but then again, like you said, it's local conformance. Just as Hawaii’s McRice, LOL.

There's not too many vehicle that are propane-powered in LA. Mostly government-owned and public transport vehicles. Some are natural gas powered. With the added (illegal immigrant provision cost support) tax of another $0.12/gal for gasoline, the latest price we have is + $3.65/gal. They try to convince us it's for infrastructure/road repair, but California's DOT's depository have enough money to repair and maintain our highways twice over. The cost for being a sanctuary state. These illegals get to drive without insurance because the citizenry pays for them to the tune of 25-30% premium hikes on our car insurances. They're challenging these cost hikes here for next year's ballot election. They're @#@ absurd! Damned numbnuts.

Thanks for the update...you seem to have a lot to be thankful for...so for now - Happy Thanksgiving!!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
maxx-

Pretty darn elaborate architecture for a MickeyD joint/gas station! Best I've ever seen...Great pictures. That BigMac is nothing like I've ever seen before but then again, like you said, it's local conformance. Just as Hawaii’s McRice, LOL.

There's not too many vehicle that are propane-powered in LA. Mostly government-owned and public transport vehicles. Some are natural gas powered. With the added (illegal immigrant provision cost support) tax of another $0.12/gal for gasoline, the latest price we have is + $3.65/gal. They try to convince us it's for infrastructure/road repair, but California's DOT's depository have enough money to repair and maintain our highways twice over. The cost for being a sanctuary state. These illegals get to drive without insurance because the citizenry pays for them to the tune of 25-30% premium hikes on our car insurances. They're challenging these cost hikes here for next year's ballot election. They're @#@ absurd! Damned numbnuts.

Thanks for the update...you seem to have a lot to be thankful for...so for now - Happy Thanksgiving!!

Happy Thanksgiving to you also!

It must be your State's high gasoline taxes why it is so high. After doing my liters to gallons and Laris to US Dollars conversation a gallon of gasoline here is about $3.00 and about $3.50 for 97 octane. I thought it was $2.25 in the States?

Our illegal alien problem is Gypsy women and children walking in the streets begging for change. We even have old women knocking on doors or out in parking lots asking for charity.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2017, 09:23:32 PM »
Our illegal alien problem is Gypsy women and children walking in the streets begging for change. We even have old women knocking on doors or out in parking lots asking for charity.

During my first trip to Antalya, Turkey two Gypsies walked up to me and one held out her hand and said:  "Hello . . . money."
Right to the point without unnecessary chit chat.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2017, 03:19:00 AM »
Cost of a meal in the Republic of Georgia at the Tangerine Cafe. The T.C. is typical tourist cafe and bar. It is across the side street of where I am staying. I believe it is Russian owned. It is definitely staffed by Russians and Russian speaking Georgians. Anyway here it is.

The chicken fillets comes with some mashed potatoes and Brussel sprouts. That is what those odd looking thing are. Taste good!

Here is the bill.

It came to 18.70 Georgian Lari (GEL). There is 2.71 Georgian Lari to the USD.

So below is the math on that.

The whole meal cost $6.90 but this includes a 2Lari 500 ml bottle of World Famous sparkling Barjomi Spring Water. You know, the water of the Czars, Soviet potentates, Uncle Joe Stalin and Angela Jolie drank.

74 cents for the Barjomi is a rip-off price. In any store I can buy 1.5 Liters, not a measly 500 mil. for the same price. Or for a competing brand that comes from the same source (spring) for half that much. Georgia has great water.

The $6.90 also includes the waiter's tip of 62 cents (10%) although I usually add two or three more Lari to it.

Now meals from Georgian restaurants usually cost about half as much as from this tourist spot. I've fed 4 adults and two children for about $12-15.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:33:17 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »
Dave, the  receipt says it is "polenta"- cornmeal. They could use some other grains instead of corn, but it is not potatoes. Broccoli , not Brussel sprouts.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:57:17 AM by Doll »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2017, 08:35:35 AM »
It definitely was Brussel Sprouts. They looked like miniature cabbages. Cornmeal? I think you are right. I did notice a corn taste to it and it was very good.

Offline Doll

« Reply #160 on: November 24, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »
I am reading the receipt- it says "broccoli"

Offline Doll

« Reply #161 on: November 24, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
Now I am looking at the picture- Brussel sprouts! ))))))))))

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #162 on: November 24, 2017, 01:04:35 PM »
"polenta"- cornmeal. They could use some other grains instead of corn
Polenta: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polenta ;)

Polenta with lentils and cotechino
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

« Reply #163 on: November 24, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »
The receipt says broccoli, but the photo is definitely 2 1/2 brussel sprouts, sitting on top of a bed of cooked cornmeal.  The cornmeal could be a local dish, elarji, which is made with sulguni cheese.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #164 on: November 25, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »
Some more photos and then I am off to the gym.

Another 15 GEL/$5.55 meal. The rose is a carefully sliced tomato.

Below a Greek Salad @ about $2.50

An Iranian owned and operated Bakery. The cakes look too good to cut.

Below is some typical Georgian food, wine and "cha cha" (160 proof!)

I am a non-smoker but for your information, smoking is permitted at every table. You can see the ash tray above.

http://youtu.be/GgX-Du2Fkxg

My first Georgian contact was named Mamuka. The girl was the receptionist at the hotel lobby where Mamuka  hung out. Mamuka is trying to tell me about Tbilisi's famous hot sulfur baths being good for the health. Tbilis means warm in Georgia. When a Georgian king Vakhtang discovered them while falcon hunting he decided to build a palace there and later made Tbilisi his capital city. This was in the mid-Fifth century AD.

Givi, his wife Alvina and their son Ramaz. Missing from the photo is their little daughter Anna. She is about 4 years old and is really cute. Repeating myself here but she thinks my name is "Mr. Hello." She speaks only Russian but is being taught Georgian and English in school.

Most people here speak Russian and Georgian. Many of the younger people like Alvina speak English as well, but generally not fluently. Givi speaks English, Russian, Georgian and Armenian fluently (He's half Armenian) and I am not sure about how well his Greek is. He lived in Greece when he was young.

Notice the two extra plates? Those are for the fathers of Givi and Alvina. Givi's father passed away at age 47 of prostrate cancer and Alvina's father died in 2014 of heart disease. The honoring of the departed is taken very serious in Georgia. But that is a subject for another post. The other woman in the photo is Givi's mother. A nice lady of Armenian heritage.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 12:09:27 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #165 on: November 25, 2017, 12:59:04 AM »

GQ asked me about the weather in Georgia. I am specifically finding out about the weather in Batumi by living it.

Beyond the palm, pomegranate and lemon trees, high up on the foot hills of the Lesser Caucasian mountains, I see snow. For a SoCal person it is 'Burrrr'. For a Russian... it is nice, sort of.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #166 on: November 25, 2017, 01:05:04 AM »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2017, 01:33:04 AM »

OK, no more procrastinating. I'm off to the gym!

Offline ML

« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2017, 10:07:53 AM »
I am a non-smoker but for your information, smoking is permitted at every table. You can see the ash tray above.

All the good things you may say about Georgia are now cancelled out by this.

Myself and any other intelligent thinking persons would avoid it like the plague.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #169 on: November 25, 2017, 08:35:41 PM »
All the good things you may say about Georgia are now cancelled out by this.

Myself and any other intelligent thinking persons would avoid it like the plague.

The restaurants here do not have a smoky atmosphere like some bars in the States have. Or in the men's room in a Russian cinema. You know a cloud of blue smoke you have walk through that stinks your clothes. I hate that too. I would say in one visit out of ten that I have smelled smoke in a Georgian restaurant. The reason I mentioned ash trays and the absence of no-smoking laws is to say it is just freer here than any Western country that I have known. People are less uptight.

If you are big into  :rules:   and trying to regulate behavior then Georgia isn't for you. One thing Georgia does well is punish criminals. You don't want to push your freedom too far as in stealing and taking advantage of others.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:18:40 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline mhr7

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #170 on: November 26, 2017, 02:30:36 AM »

The restaurants here do not have a smoky atmosphere like some bars in the States have. Or in the men's room in a Russian cinema.

Or, oddly, the men's locker room at a Russian gym.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #171 on: November 26, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »
Or, oddly, the men's locker room at a Russian gym.

Yes, it is odd. In the patio in the back of the gym I go to, the owner and other patrons of the gym sit and smoke, drink coffee and visit with each other. They don't seem to worry about looking odd doing unhealthy things while doing healthy things. People here are more tolerant of things like smoking and drinking. Of course the life expectancy in Georgia is 74 years to the US's 78 years and in the really wound tight country of Japan it is 84 years. Of course their diet of fish and rice is really different than the Georgian diet of bread, cheese and more bread.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:43:54 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2017, 09:17:59 AM »

Today (Monday, November 13th) was the first day for my legs. I wanted to see how strong they are so I kept or rather Pavel kept adding weight set after set. On my 6th set I was up to 200 KG (440 pounds) and I pressed it 14 times before hitting maxx. Next time I go back I will see what I can do with 220 Kilos.

Next time I went back I pressed 250 Kilograms 6 times.

250 Kilograms 6 times (554.5 pounds)

Today, Monday the 27th:

310 Kilograms 7 times (682 pounds)

Today's workout:
150 Kilograms X 15  (easy)
200 Kilograms X 15  (easy)
250 Kilograms X 15  (easy)
280 Kilograms X 10  (Maxx)
300 Kilograms X 9    (Maxx)
310 Kilograms X 7    (Maxx)  682 pounds

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:20:35 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »

Wife and I seen Miss Universe last night. Miss Georgia was not beautiful. We didn't like Miss Ukraine either.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »
Wife and I seen Miss Universe last night. Miss Georgia was not beautiful. We didn't like Miss Ukraine either.

I just checked Miss Georgia and you are right. The receptionist at the hotel I stayed at in Tbilisi was much better looking.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541000
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1890
Total: 1901

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM