It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 77 % of Ukrainian women are sick???  (Read 3773 times)

Offline A.E.

77 % of Ukrainian women are sick???
« on: November 11, 2006, 03:18:38 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I decided to ask this question because this information seems unreal to me. I was considering traveling to Ukraine to try to meet a nice woman, but as I was reading about the country, I came upon this site which is operated by Ukrainian officials. In it, they state very clearly that 77% of ukrainian females are carrying some kind or another of a virus, and are generally not in good health. I was a bit shocked at that number, so I was wondering how big is that percentage compared to a more developped country, or does it fall under the average for the less developped countries? I would appreciate a clarification from an informed party. Here is the link to the site with the article     
http://www.uceps.org/eng/show/641/

Offline William3rd

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 77 % of Ukrainian women are sick???
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 08:39:07 AM »
You need to read that article a little closer. That 77% number that you are stating is a wee bit high.

The article also talks about the new pay for medical care system that most people cant afford to use and the high death rates due to accidents, murders and suicides.

I think I would be most concerned over the massive numbers of VD/HIV cases in DNK and Odessa. VD is just an antibiotic away from no VD.

There are many wonderful women there; you just have to be cautious on the quality that you are meeting.

Offline smartcat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »
Usually such articles with statistics are prepared for political or social reasons to get some funds, etc.
Well, in my University class 3/4 of 30 people were more-less shortsided, which can be considered as "good vision problem, chronicle disease". Some were wearing glasses, some not. With aging and less eye intense many got better.

The article is created so, that it carries negative in every paragraph, not normal balance of negative-positive things.

Let say while they talk about syphilis, they refer 10 years old data and don't tell anything about current condition. Very unclear. Venerologists were talking of increasing syphilis about 10 times in mid 1990s. And since 1999-2000 is went down much, in 2002 the main verenologist of Ukraine Ludmila Kalyuzhnaya reported it being dropped down in 20% every year since 1998...( http://www.health-ua.com/articles/44.html) .... today it's on the puritan USSR level.

and so on... Don't trust 100% of negative info!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 06:11:10 PM by smartcat »

Offline A.E.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 07:16:54 PM »
Thank you both for your replies, I guess one needs to do more research before knowing the reality on the subject. By the way, smartcat, your link is not working.

Offline Bruno

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 11:33:50 PM »

Online Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • Helping People Understand Each Other
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 04:22:02 AM »
77% of ukrainian females are carrying some kind or another of a virus, and are generally not in good health.

The other 23% just have not gotten to the doctors yet.

There is a saying. Want to be sick? Just go to a doctor! They will find fault with the healthiest man. No wonder — they DO want to stay employed.
Igor Kalinin
Ukraine Guide Interpreter

Offline Son of Clyde

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 07:53:44 AM »
In Ukraine, doesn't the state pay the doctors?
In the US the doctors love for us to keep returning because it means more $$$$'s for them. Capitalism is great for those who make a living charging exorbitant fees. Attorneys and doctors do very well since the state does not pay their salary.

Online Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 11:04:27 AM »
Well, strictly speaking, health care is basically free (although there are quite a few private clinics and physicians). However, the state pays medical workers so little (if anything — wages are often delayed sometimes up to six months and longer) that they can only survive if their patients pay them. So, while it is declared free, you have to pay anyway. And in fact it is not too different from the USA.
Igor Kalinin

Offline Mir

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 04:20:38 PM »
Unless I have missed some relevant part of the article I think you have confused two unrelated set of statistics.
It does not say that 77% of Ukrainian women carry a virus, it comments of the indices of health for people in Ukraine. Public health experts judge a nation of health against pre-set criteria. So those members of the public who score high will be in the highly healthy group and so on…. They have calculated that 77% of women (73% of men) score below the safe margin regarding health, so they may not carry an illness but are vulnerable to illness. It is quite possible that many men and women in US have a low health score.
It does estimate that the number of HIV infected people in Ukraine is around 285,000 and 75% of them are in 15-29 age group.
As long as you wear a condom during sex you are unlikely to get infected with anything. :)
Also one should be a bit careful about statistics, as it is said: There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics. I agree with someone that the way to get ill is to have a medical checkup. I have been a doctor for 15 years and avoid going to see a doctor or have a check up!

Offline A.E.

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2006, 07:21:52 PM »
Mir, I think you're quite right, the article does not specifically say that 77% of women are carrying a virus, I might have interpreted their wording wrong, here is the paragraph that is in question:

"According to data from the Ukrainian Institute for Public Health, only 4.4 percent of men and 2.9 percent of women of working age in the country have high indices of health and are in the so-called safety zone; 22.1 percent of men and 19.4 percent of women are in average health, while 73.5 percent of men and 77.7 percent of women have one degree or another of sickness."

So I'm now more convinced of your explanation that these 77% of women scored below the safe margin regarding health, so they may not carry an illness but are vulnerable to illness.  Which is not as scary of course, thanks for your input.

Online Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 11:01:43 PM »
Also one should be a bit careful about statistics, as it is said: There are lies, damn lies and then there are statistics.

Yes, statistics can fool you easily. It is like saying that the averagy life expectance in undeveloped countries is 40 years and assuming that the majority of people die at that age — while it can be so low due to high child mortality combined with a high birth rate, and many adults can live till 50, 60 or 70. A Russian joke called Average Temperature in the hospital: day 1 — 99°. Head Doctor: “Damn! Everybody has fever!!! We must take measures!” Nurse: “Well, sir, actually just one new patient has 104° and the others are doing OK”. Day 2: 85°. “Impossible! Must be at least 98°!” “Well, sir, we just have one corpse there”.
Igor Kalinin

Offline A.E.

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 01:12:41 AM »
 :D  I think you're right.

Offline jb

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 05:34:40 PM »
77 % of Ukrainian women are sick???

Ya know, I don't believe this statistic for a microsecond.

But if it bothers you, go to Russia, that's where most of the RW's really live, and I assure you, they are not sick.  Or at least, not any sicker than you are.

This is one of the more laughable threads I ever seen.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2006, 05:44:41 PM »
jb- certainly!! lol

It isnt a third world country sheesh..

UW *in general* are probably in equal, or a better state of health.

Most probably have a better diet,or are at least more self concious of healthy eating habits,  (for small example pop is not something commonly drank every day,, fresh juice would be -
 fast food is there, but  certainly not an everday occurence for most UW ) 
pre made pre pakaged soups or meals off the shelf,
with all the saklts sugatrs and preservatives,
 are not at all common place..
most all meals are made the old fashione dway..from the fresh ingredients.
and also they generally get more exercise than people in the west.

something more scary than the stats you poostred on ukranie?

chexk something like diabetes statistics in the
USA vs the FSU..
the saying
*you are what you eat* is sometimes quite accurate.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541386
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3733
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 3724
Total: 3734

+-Recent Posts

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM

Re: Trippin........... by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:09:50 AM