It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Getting started? Yeah, right!  (Read 7251 times)

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Getting started? Yeah, right!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 09:36:35 AM »
People are very helpful if you are polite.  Never ask a policeman for help:  first, he does not care and second, he is rude.  Perhaps because you have distracted him from his business of collecting bribes.
Perhaps you should be more polite to the policemen. The ones that I met were friendly and did give directions. Some even speak English.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline 392ihc

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 12:11:54 PM »
Thank you, thank you, many good suggestions given here and i will follow up.  To Kievstar: I will arrive April 17 and depart April 29... it would be great to meet you there if our dates overlap any... you let me know.  michaelcaffrey49@msn.com
I have read a little more on Elenas... probably great for some wanna be sex tourist type...that's not me.  Yes, I think Karkov or Dneprop might be a better place for me to look. And, yes, I need to learn some Russian.  Right now I have a woman from Karkov arriving at Borispol to pick me up and take me to the city. I have been advised to wait to rent an apartment until I have a chance to look at them.  I may get an apartment as a package deal with an agency...they say not difficult this time of year??  But this lady will only be staying one day and will return to her extended family for Ortho. Easter and then on to Russia on business (she tells me). So, I have one date when I arrive too afflicted with jet lag to probably enjoy and then I'm on my own with an agency.  I have sent emails out to some of them but they, of course, will not be answered until they open tomorrow.  Gator: I am still looking for the zip code for that Upper Bumfluck you mentioned...you may need to help me on this too!
Thank again, Mike in Wyoming

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »
Mike

If you are familiar with i-tunes there is a free course called one-minute Russian. You can also find it here http://www.radiolingua.com/ . It does not replace a Rosetta Stone or Pimsleur but you can learn quickly some helpful Russian words and phrases. There's 10 quick lessons that should enable you to absorb some of the language before your trip.

Good Luck

Offline kievstar

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »
I arrive in Kiev airport on April 24th from Zurich and than fly to Kharkov later that night on April 24th.  I leave Kharkov on April 27th morning. 

April 26th I am going to AM / Kharkov women wedding.  But April 25th myself and wife would be glad to help / meet you if still in Kharkov.  If you run into problems before, my wife maybe able to help. 

Mila in Kharkov is very good - she is on this website.  I also like charming brides agency. 

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
Perhaps you should be more polite to the policemen. The ones that I met were friendly and did give directions. Some even speak English.

Army lads are also helpful sometimes. Once, while in the Moscow metro, I got turned around. Spotted 3 Army lads. Went up them, asked if any spoke English. None did but I did write my intended destination in Russian. They laughed, pointed to me the direction, and off I went.

How do you approach an Army guy or policeman?  Izvinete!, Army dude (or police dude). Vi gavarite pa angliski?  They say either "da" or "nyet" and you are on your way.

So what I said, and I do not know how to spell what I say way.  "Excuse me, Army dude. Do you speak (or understand) English?"  He replied yes or no. 

Yes, good to learn simple phrases unless in Moscow. There so many speak English I have found that Russian is not too very necessary.

Peewee

Offline 392ihc

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2009, 08:51:37 PM »
Hey, you guys are awesome!  Based on the info and encouragement received here, I have decided I am going, yes sir.  And I am going primarily to get my feet wet and learn the drill for UW.  I do not expect to find the Mrs. on this trip...but perhaps I will come away with some phone numbers to continue the relationship!  I will pay two agencies (my plan at the moment) to set up meetings for me.  One in Kiev and another in a smaller city like Dnepropetrovsk or Vinnistsa and pay for apartment through them...as well as getting me on the right train or bus!  I will spend the rest of the time learning some Russian and going through their UW galleries!  I really hate doing that part!
Kievstar:  I will arrive April 16 and depart April 29.  I may end up crossing paths with you if I get to Karkov...how would I contact you? Might be a good choice for my second city except that it is hardly a "small town"! Let me know, please.
Mike in Wyoming

Offline CalvinHobbes

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2009, 09:50:13 PM »
My thought is only going to be about Wyoming. From what I have read about FSUW wanting to live in cosmo areas then I would think that you living in WY is a disadvantage for you. As someone said, find the right woman then you're ok. But compared to guys living in Boston, Miami, or Sydney you may not appear to be as desirable.

I've been thru Wyoming and it's truly a wild west state. Beautiful open country. But I personally couldn't handle the wind and the snow... and I live in Denver!

A few years ago I was looking at jobs in Kaliespell MT, Boise ID, Spokane WA, etc. Eventually I decided to move to Denver without a job cuz Denver is big enough city it has almost everything.

Same line of thinking goes for CO - if I lived in Telluride CO then I have to consider most FSUW would not want to live there. Yeah it's beautiful but it's smaller than the Denver airport and the closest town of similiar size is hours away.

Just my opinion...

Offline Gator

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »
Gator: I am still looking for the zip code for that Upper Bumfluck you mentioned...you may need to help me on this too!

No offense intended.  I am sure your hometown is delightful.  The question is, "How many RW will feel the same?"

It is good that you are going on the trip as scheduled, and with a good attitude. 

Your woman is out there.  For example, a number of RW have married men residing in Alaska.  I believe that you will need to write and/or meet a large number of RW.  For your second trip, you may wish to consider Siberian women, especially those who like skiing or the Altai Mountains or something similar.   

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 05:47:36 AM »
I would work with Mila.  See if maybe she knows of some women from a village outside Kharkov also.  I would look for a woman over 40 years old.  Who knows, maybe some of the agency girls, have a single mother also.

I think if you take a look at a woman from the villages outside there, it would be a good fit.  Where you live, is going to offer the "village" vision in a lot of minds.  Keep in mind, that you only have to find one woman.  Anything is possible, anyway you try it. 

Just please be aware if you go to a village.  I found them to be wonderful people.  It is quite common though, to not have indoor bathrooms and showers.  A village is also going to have populations in the 10,000 and higher range.

Just a theory, but you seem to have a good attitude about this.  Do not try to marry up too much, it is trouble waiting to happen.  I have seen plenty of 45 year old women, that would give the best cougars in Dallas a run for their money.

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 06:24:40 AM »
The points about location are valid, which means a more patient search and taking the time to really know the woman to make sure she's not just looking for a ticket to America because she has relatives already here, etc.

I am sure you could find a woman in Kiev who would love to live in Wyoming, but it would probably take some time and effort to find such a lady. 

Smaller towns near Kharkov could have good potential. The idea to contact Mila is a good one.  The main problem you have with the smaller towns is that fewer ladies speak English well.

This is a process of patience and persistence no matter how you approach it.
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »
I would work with Mila.  See if maybe she knows of some women from a village outside Kharkov also.  I would look for a woman over 40 years old.  Who knows, maybe some of the agency girls, have a single mother also.

I think if you take a look at a woman from the villages outside there, it would be a good fit.  Where you live, is going to offer the "village" vision in a lot of minds.  Keep in mind, that you only have to find one woman.  Anything is possible, anyway you try it. 

Just please be aware if you go to a village.  I found them to be wonderful people.  It is quite common though, to not have indoor bathrooms and showers.  A village is also going to have populations in the 10,000 and higher range.

Just a theory, but you seem to have a good attitude about this.  Do not try to marry up too much, it is trouble waiting to happen.  I have seen plenty of 45 year old women, that would give the best cougars in Dallas a run for their money.

Diplomacy I am not sure what you are trying to convey to #392 here. On the face you seem to be assuming he'll have to settle for and directing him to, a village girl because of where he lives? That seems to me like the wrong message. In fact I can't think of any reason why he should do so. He should go and seek "the" woman for him. He should take the time to know her by visiting her often and regular communication. Whether she lives in a village or urban city is immaterial. Seek the lady #392. Seek and find her. Get to know everything about her and let her learn everything about you. Including where and how you live. Let her decide.

Diplomacy, I fear sometimes in our zest to be helpful and in what we believe to be our "all encompassing  knowledge" it can very easy to over step our boundaries and lead someone, especially a newbie astray. I would venture to guess there are 1000's of city ladies who would jump at the chance to live in rural Wyoming with the man they loved. In fact I know of some. Seems you might be very much over stereo-typical here. IMHO

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »
Faux Pas

That is why it is a discussion forum.  I would work with Mila and see what she said.

I do not know if it is stereo typing or not.  Is it possible, maybe?  How many men here have been to a village?  How many men have married a woman from a village?  My fiance lives in the city now, but grew up in the village. 

I have been to several villages.

I think a stereo type about the village woman is unfounded in many cases.  The language issue is a real possibility.  They can be well read and cultured too.  Many of them read all the time, since there are not the same avenues of entertainment available.

It is a town of 10,000 people.  Why not try looking in a similar population area?  Why is a village girl settling?  The city girl is the easiest to locate, due to the access of agency and internet.   

I was trying to open up another theory.  The more irons in the fire the better.   

Offline Misha

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 11:23:44 AM »
I think a stereo type about the village woman is unfounded in many cases.  

I agree.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
Faux Pas

That is why it is a discussion forum.  I would work with Mila and see what she said.
I don't know what exactly this has to do with the topic? I agree with them both btw.

I do not know if it is stereo typing or not.  Is it possible, maybe?  How many men here have been to a village?  How many men have married a woman from a village?  My fiance lives in the city now, but grew up in the village. 

I have been to several villages.
Yeah it is stereo-typing to assume that only a women from a village would be content in a Wyoming town of 10K. I am only guessing but, I would expect you could find many  many women who would follow the man she loved to any town. There is likely a world of difference to an isolated town of 10K in WY and a village of 10-15K in FSU. Of course it would largely depend on where the village is. Chances are the WY town is within an hour or so of a much larger city. Many of those in a village walk longer than that to get to a bus stop that will take them to a larger city. I realize that is a bit fecetious but often true.

I think a stereo type about the village woman is unfounded in many cases.  The language issue is a real possibility.  They can be well read and cultured too.  Many of them read all the time, since there are not the same avenues of entertainment available.

I am confident there are some well-read, cultured women throughout villages. But, the numbers from my understanding they are extremely, considerably lower than one would find in the city. I have not been to a village other than passing through. Few were quaint and impressive. Most were not.

It is a town of 10,000 people.  Why not try looking in a similar population area?  Why is a village girl settling?  The city girl is the easiest to locate, due to the access of agency and internet. 

As I eluded to above, there are in most instances many significant differences to a city/town of 10k in America and one in FSU most notably shopping and entertainment options as well as availability to larger cities 

I was trying to open up another theory.  The more irons in the fire the better. 

I agree. More options are always good. He will have them all. It appears that he is traveling to meet many women as his previous dance card emptied out on him. In my line of thought, he should go where he'll have the opportunity to meet as many as he chooses. That is not necessarily an option he'd have in a village.

Offline Gator

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2009, 01:12:18 PM »
How many men here have been to a village?  How many men have married a woman from a village? 

My Muscovite wife married a man who lives in a village.  Me!  However, she adds that my Tampa is a "lovely village."  In contrast, she visited Sydney, Australia when considering some bloke from there, and found it to be a "big village."    :noidea:

One would think a village is defined as to the availability of shopping, employment oportunities, educational institutions, cultural/entertainment venues, healthcare, etc.  However, there are other variables.

She did admit about Sydney that her bloke was a homebody, and his limited social life always occurred in the same few places with the same few people.  Such would make New York City seem like a village.

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »

When someone has no idea what they are really walking into, you have no idea what the reaction could be.  Yes, the best bet is a good woman that loves you for who you are.  Some people can make any situation fun and interesting.  They are happy no matter what they are doing and where they are living.

After the glowing reviews about Mila, I would allow her to be your instincts.  The city is a lifestyle.    I would think though, asking about some woman that live in a village is a good question.

Yes, I would worry about the level of English that they know.  But lets talk about my friends mother.  She is learning English, the last time I visited.  We played a game, she would say what something was in English and I would say it in Russian.

If you can find a woman that speaks English, and is happy with who you are.  Great, but the older you are.  The more set in your ways one tends to be. 

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
I would suggest you put together a photo album if you have time. Maybe even a video but I am not sure all Russians have dual Pal Secam/ NTSC players.

Sad to say, even many Americans do not know much about Wyoming.

Home to Yellowstone, the Tetons and Flaming Gorge. Plus honest to G-D cowboys !

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
Go Mike GO ! ! ! ! !
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 04:31:08 PM »
Listen to what Daveman said, he speak heap big truth.

Also: DON'T spend tons on any of the ladies. If they want to go shopping tell them "Have fun, see you later!" And RUN ! ! !

Never Ever, and I mean NEVER EVER send anyone money! ! !  PERIOD.

Go to imerse yourself in the experience. Expect to have fun and learn something about yourself.  Remember it's an adventure, YOUR ADVENTURE, enjoy it.

Learn some of the language. It'll take you a LONG way. Just the effort is apprediated.

What else, oh yeah, by all means at this point use an agency. Remember there are scammers and pro-daters (don't send or spend) but there are also A LOT of sincere ladies too. Of course you will have to spend some money but my meaning is be aware that many ladies may want you for the cash your brought and have no intention of leaving their country. Be in tune with that and watch for it.

BUT GO or you'll suffer the eating of ICE CREAM ! ! !
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline 392ihc

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »
Hey guys,
Again I am in your debt!  As I said previously, I am going. I have contacted Women for Marriage Agency in Kiev to set up some meetings. I had professional photographs taken this morning and already email to Kiev. I have given the the ID of 8 women knowing some will not want to meet for whatever reason. Its ok...  Then, if you suggest I go to Kharkov I will do this if I can contact Mila...I must look back thru postings to see if you gave me a way to do this.

Actually, when I tell you I live in Wyoming I create more conflicting opinions than about anything else!  I have lived in Washington DC, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Boise, ID, and Wyoming and I vastly prefer life here over all of the above.  I have two college degrees and really enjoy opera and ballet.  Yes, you're right those are not available here but I can drive to Denver or SLC and not have to live in the middle of that nightmare way of life!  This is a college town and only 2 hrs. from Jackson Hole, the Tetons, Yellowstone, etc.  Most Americans have a negative impression of Wyoming due to having driven across I-80 in the winter just trying to hold their car on the road in the wind. I understand all this but I do not live down there and I never would!  Most of my area is farming and light industry. We (Wyoming)  also have the lowest unemployment in the nation and lowest home foreclosure rate in the nation....which won't mean squat to a FSUW, I know. But I tell them a bit of this in my profile...and if they ask I tell them it is much better climate than Siberia!  I also have no hesitancy about meeting a girl from a village (I like that word for some reason).  But as you say, there is less chance she may speak English at all.  I will try to make contact with Mila in Kharkov and see what unfolds there...sounds like a great idea to me.  Thank you.  Sorry for the geography/economics lesson!  I surely do not intend to offend any of you guys who have been so kind and helpful to me.
Mike in *******

Offline 392ihc

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 07:52:37 PM »
Sorry here....I forgot to mention that we also have a number of Russian and Ukrainian families already living here.  When you go to the Riverton McDonalds and stand back and let them talk among themselves, they are speaking Russian!  I know because I have engaged them in conversation and asked!  (They are too young for an old f**t like me, but they are quite pleasant).  So see....some do come here!
Mike

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »

It certainly sounds like you are approaching the trip with much more enthusiasm that when you started the thread. Overlook the debate on every nook and cranny of your trip. Its what we do. Wyoming has never left me with any negative connotations. Everyone I have ever known from there were "good people".

Good Luck on your trip. Good things will happen

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
We expect a Trip Report when you get back :)

Offline Diplomacy

« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2009, 05:43:35 AM »
Here is her website

http://www.mila-interpreter.com/

She posts on the boards also.

Offline philb

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »
Mike,

I am weighing in a bit late here.  I live down the road from you in Casper.  As I stated in another thread, I listened to and believed the "common knowledge" that a big city woman from the FSU wouldn't adapt to or be happy living in Wyoming.  I spent 3+ years writing to and visiting women that lived in the smaller towns, villages, and cities of both Russia and Ukraine.  In the end I married a woman from Kiev.

My 2 or 3 cents is this, take your time and get to know the woman, don't limit yourself to agencies (I never did use one).  I made 7 trips to the FSU before I met my wife and 5 more trips to visit her before we got married.  In addition she also visited me here in Wyoming before we got married (yes, this is possible).  Now I realize that I could be a little slow and probably have way more vacation time than a lot of the guys involved in this .... ;)

One other thing,  It might suprise you, but my wife and I know of 10 or so FSUW/WM couples here in Casper and these women come from cities of various sizes (Moscow, Kiev, Simferopol, Bishkek,Ufa, Yerevan, Novosibirsk, and a village or two).  My observation is that most of these women are fairly content here.  The ones who seem least content are younger women in their 20's and those who are in relationships with huge age differences. I guess that is an additional 2 cents.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1875
Total: 1886

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM