It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1089109 times)

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1850 on: January 22, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
That's not what she wrote and you are insinuating things you yourself can't prove.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1851 on: January 22, 2015, 03:09:37 PM »
FT, being perhaps the only person on the forum who has worked closely around Mr. Putin, I will repeat these two key points. You think them to be an oversimplification, but they are most certain not. I do not think, I do not believe, and it is not my opinion. I know.

- Mr. Putin has never accepted the independence of Ukraine. In his mind, the birth of Rus and the Kievan Rus, means that forever, and forever, and forever that Russia and Ukraine are ONE. It just so happens that the modern day capital is in Moscow, not Kyiv. There are many Russians, likely a vast majority, who share this view.

- For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine. Russia by herself cannot be a formidable economic union. Russia and Belarus are not a formidable economic union. Russia, Belarus and sparsely populated and underdeveloped Kazakhstan are not a formidable economic union. The addition of the small nation of Armenia has not made Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan into a formidable economic union.

I will repeat this until it sinks in: For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine. Take a look at the map; look at the population figures, look at the total area of farmland, look at the education of the average citizen. When you look at a map of Europe, pay attention to how much of that is Ukraine. Then stop and think of what that means if he loses Ukraine to Europe.

Now, once again: For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine.

Bo is absolutely correct.

Mr. Putin does not want a sliver, a region, or just a land bridge. He does not need low educated coal miners in the East. No, in fact, hell no!, because in order for the Eurasian Union to succeed, he needs Ukraine.

He tried influencing via backdoor diplomacy with vassals. That had mixed results at best: two revolutions, the last one in which he had to sweep in and rescue his bastard stepchild Yanukovich.

Mr. Putin is no fool--he is not in the mood to try the vassal approach yet another time, unless that is all he is allowed.

For the Eurasian Union to succeed, he needs Ukraine, and as long as the West does nothing he is coming for it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:39:49 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1852 on: January 22, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »
FT, being perhaps the only person on the forum who has worked closely around Mr. Putin, I will repeat these two key points. You think them to be an oversimplification, but they are most certain not. I do not think, I do not believe, and it is not my opinion. I know.

- Mr. Putin has never accepted the independence of Ukraine. In his mind, the birth of Rus and they Kievan Rus, means that forever, and forever, and forever that Russia and Ukraine are ONE. It just so happens that the modern day capital is in Moscow, not Kyiv. There are many Russians, likely a vast majority, who share this view.

- For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine. Russia by herself cannot be a formidable economic union. Russia and Belarus are not a formidable economic union. Russia, Belarus and the sparsely populated and underdeveloped Kazakhstan are not a formidable economic union. The addition of the small nation of Armenia has not made Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan into a formidable economic union.

I will repeat this until it sinks in: For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine. Take a look at the map, look at the population figures, look at the total area of farmland, look at the education of the average citizen. When you look at a map of Europe, pay attention to how much of that is Ukraine. Then stop and think of what that means if he loses Ukraine to Europe.

Mr. Putin does not see a sliver, or just a land bridge. He does not need low educated coal miners in the East. No, in fact, hell no!, because in order for the Eurasian Union to succeed, he needs Ukraine.

And, as long as the West does nothing, he is coming for it.

:applaud: :thumbsup:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1853 on: January 22, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
Thanks Hammer.

Note: I added a couple of sentences to the above post. They are worth reading, in my opinion.  :)
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1854 on: January 22, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
Great post Mendy! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Too bad it'll pass over the heads of the ones that need it most.  :rolleyes:

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1855 on: January 22, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
Federalization is not a solution for Ukraine.  Let the occupied territory go.  Russia doesn't want it.  It can be independent, with no international recognition.So not respecting international law is the solution?  Most EU countries do, in fact, adhere to international law.  If they were not supported by paid mercenaries, and equipment provided (and paid for) by the Russian government, this conflict would have been over long ago.
+3
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Belvis

• Spouse's Country: Russia
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1856 on: January 22, 2015, 03:43:37 PM »
Belvis, Putin's peace offer (strange that Russia would offer peace in a conflict where it has no fight, eh?) was for Russian "peacekeepers" to move in and occupy Ukraine.

No thanks.
By other words you casted your vote for war.  Fortunately this is not a polling, and I have reasons to believe the peace talks will be resumed soon.
I would like to see the reference where Putin or Lavrov voices plans to move in Ukraine  with peacekeeper force as a part of current settlement. World leaders are trying desperately to find clues to Putin's intentions but some jornalists know them already  :)

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1857 on: January 22, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »
By other words you casted your vote for war.

Russia is at war, with Ukraine and it's an aggressive war, it is waged by Russia and it is a crime against peace.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1858 on: January 22, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »
Very interesting post Mendy, i love your insight
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1859 on: January 22, 2015, 03:52:36 PM »
By other words you casted your vote for war.  Fortunately this is not a polling, and I have reasons to believe the peace talks will be resumed soon.
I would like to see the reference where Putin or Lavrov voices plans to move in Ukraine  with peacekeeper force as a part of current settlement. World leaders are trying desperately to find clues to Putin's intentions but some jornalists know them already  :)

Putin doesn't want peackeepers in Ukraine.  Unless, of course, they are Russian peacekeepers currently "vacationing" in Donbas.

I think peacekeepers would be a good idea, provided they are not from Russia.   But, it won't happen because there is no upside to Russia to allow peackeepers.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1860 on: January 22, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »
Swedish,Finnish and Georgian military volunteers are now fighting in Ukraine after joining the Azov battalion...they believe Putler has to be stopped in Ukraine,or he'll advance into other countries.

The far- right is growing in power in Ukraine as the Azov battalion,many of whom are far-right, are becoming heroes in Ukraine for their deeds against the pro-Russian separatists/Russians.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:10:31 PM by Chelseaboy »
Just saying it like it is.

Offline Doll

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1861 on: January 22, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »
Mendy has none

Offline Brasscasing

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1862 on: January 22, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »

War with the west is inevitable if Putin/Russia continues down the path he/they're currently on.

Putin's intentions are no mystery. They are the same intentions every jingoistic warmonger has had throughout history. Putin likes the idea of military strength and using that military strength. He's manipulated the Russian population into supporting his agenda then using that agenda to justify his aggression towards neighboring countries.

Putin's agenda right now is Ukraine. In [edited to read 07/08] it was Georgia.

Putin's "peacekeepers" are already in Ukraine. They're the terrorists currently using t-72's, Grad rocket launchers, artillery chemical/biological warfare against anything and anyone who gets in their way civilian or otherwise.

Brass
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:43:56 PM by Brasscasing »
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1863 on: January 22, 2015, 04:55:34 PM »
Translation of Russian analyst Andrey Ilarionov's analysis of Putin's strategy in Ukraine.  Ilarionov is a former economic advisor to Putin.
http://euromaidanpress.com/2015/01/22/russian-analyst-illarionov-discusses-putins-plans-for-ukraine/
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1864 on: January 22, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
Translation of Russian analyst Andrey Ilarionov's analysis of Putin's strategy in Ukraine.  Ilarionov is a former economic advisor to Putin.
http://euromaidanpress.com/2015/01/22/russian-analyst-illarionov-discusses-putins-plans-for-ukraine/

Do a internet search and you will find 4/5 serious pieces.
His insight is the most interesting of all observers-- and I think the source of a lot of other articles. His thoughts put into perspective the entire pre-planned behaviour of Russia and Putin-- and makes a mockery of the Kremlin propaganda lies.
Worth noting-- he wrote that Russia is attempting to implement a plan made as far back as 2008(2005?)
This is effectively--inside knowledge of intent-- probably as close as most of us will get.

Particularly important is that he makes the connection between Government,economic situation and how the invasion force is designed to place pressure on both--and why.
Some on the forum want to nit pick on individual issues-- read this and think about how it all fits together--it is a very good explanation.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:37:14 PM by AnonMod »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Taz

• Carpe diem...before it seizes you!
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1865 on: January 22, 2015, 06:15:59 PM »
In the middle of this link is another link to help save the Warthog. This would be an extremely effective weapon against the Ukrainian Rebels. If the US doesn't want to keep flying them, give them to Ukraine. They'll do a very effective job slicing and dicing Russian tanks.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/21/legendary-10-warthog-sends-isis-fleeing-even-as-it-faces-pentagon-cuts/
Take time to learn the language. Even a little can go a long ways...

Get off your butt and go! Don't make excuses why you can't do it, find a way to make it work! Always go with a backup plan too!!!

Offline cc3

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1866 on: January 22, 2015, 07:16:13 PM »
As I see you're in complete darkness about situation there though think the opposite. Then you'll be always supprised by development of the conflict, just watch.

"Complete darkness"? I live in Ukraine, you pro-Russian ignoramus!

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1867 on: January 22, 2015, 08:58:13 PM »

Hey mendeleyev...I enjoy reading your work, so no offense to you personally, but I  am very skeptical of anybody who says they know for sure all of what is behind this crisis.  There are experts on the news nightly who say they 'know' and then something they  didn't expect happens. 

- For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine. Russia by herself cannot be a formidable economic union. Russia and Belarus are not a formidable economic union. Russia, Belarus and sparsely populated and underdeveloped Kazakhstan are not a formidable economic union. The addition of the small nation of Armenia has not made Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan into a formidable economic union.

I will repeat this until it sinks in: For the Eurasian Union to succeed, it needs Ukraine. Take a look at the map; look at the population figures, look at the total area of farmland, look at the education of the average citizen. When you look at a map of Europe, pay attention to how much of that is Ukraine. Then stop and think of what that means if he loses Ukraine to Europe.

Mr. Putin does not want a sliver, a region, or just a land bridge. He does not need low educated coal miners in the East. No, in fact, hell no!, because in order for the Eurasian Union to succeed, he needs Ukraine.

He tried influencing via backdoor diplomacy with vassals. That had mixed results at best: two revolutions, the last one in which he had to sweep in and rescue his bastard stepchild Yanukovich.

Mr. Putin is no fool--he is not in the mood to try the vassal approach yet another time, unless that is all he is allowed.

For the Eurasian Union to succeed, he needs Ukraine, and as long as the West does nothing he is coming for it.

From your writing it is clear you believe/know that is crisis is all about the Eurasian union.  You have now stated that Russia needs all of Ukraine in order for this to work.  I don't think Russia will be able to envelope all of Ukraine, and I think Russia must realize that...of course they could occupy the area, but it would be so counterproductive that I don't believe it is going to happen.    Therefore I think there is something else in play. If Putin wanted all of Ukraine, he would have seen much earlier on that the current plan would not work in terms of the entire Ukraine, and he would have gotten way more aggressive rapidly, while the iron was still relatively hot.  Or perhaps you feel the current plan is working, and will work to take over all of Ukraine as would be necessary for your theory (for lack of a better word) to play out?   

I am still holding the end result will be a divided Ukraine, both sides get something and leave it at that...A question that remains is exactly how much is Russia going to take before the cost becomes too high, and the 'holding costs' become too much?

Of course I'm no expert on these matters but what in the bolded logic am I incorrect?

Thanks,
Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1868 on: January 22, 2015, 11:01:08 PM »
"Complete darkness"? I live in Ukraine, you pro-Russian ignoramus!

Geriatric dude, I suggest you take some time off of the forum before you end up killing yourself.  High blood pressure isn't a good thing for a man of your age.  Some old dude goes off to Ukraine to get a young woman because he feels like he is 20 years younger and then has the audacity to call someone else ignoramus.  Freaking unbelievable.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:03:04 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline LiveFromUkraine

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1869 on: January 22, 2015, 11:05:14 PM »

From your writing it is clear you believe/know that is crisis is all about the Eurasian union.  You have now stated that Russia needs all of Ukraine in order for this to work.  I don't think Russia will be able to envelope all of Ukraine, and I think Russia must realize that...of course they could occupy the area, but it would be so counterproductive that I don't believe it is going to happen.    Therefore I think there is something else in play. If Putin wanted all of Ukraine, he would have seen much earlier on that the current plan would not work in terms of the entire Ukraine, and he would have gotten way more aggressive rapidly, while the iron was still relatively hot.  Or perhaps you feel the current plan is working, and will work to take over all of Ukraine as would be necessary for your theory (for lack of a better word) to play out?   

Thanks,
Fathertime!   

FT, I think Putin is also testing the West.  Seeing how far he can take things and what the retaliatory responses will be.  Similar to a kid trying to figure out how far he can push things
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 11:08:14 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Offline TheBullRDR

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1870 on: January 22, 2015, 11:31:10 PM »

Offline southernX

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1871 on: January 23, 2015, 12:02:44 AM »

- Mr. Putin has never accepted the independence of Ukraine. In his mind, the birth of Rus and the Kievan Rus, means that forever, and forever, and forever that Russia and Ukraine are ONE. It just so happens that the modern day capital is in Moscow, not Kyiv. There are many Russians, likely a vast majority, who share this view.

100% agree mendy top post ,
putin will not ease up unless he is forced too

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Belvis

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1872 on: January 23, 2015, 12:38:29 AM »
"Complete darkness"? I live in Ukraine

For this reason you see the conflict through your wife's eyes. I don't think you're able to read fluently through tens of twitters, blogs, agencies, newspapers, analitics to get own opinion.

Offline sleepycat

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1873 on: January 23, 2015, 12:50:23 AM »

Mendy, do you think there have already been back channel threats from Putler to Poroshenko along the lines of "Join my little club or else..."

Surely Putler must realise that any Ukrainian president that even publicly contemplates joining that organisation will get lynched by his own population.

Offline BillyB

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1874 on: January 23, 2015, 01:03:16 AM »

FT, I think Putin is also testing the West.  Seeing how far he can take things and what the retaliatory responses will be.  Similar to a kid trying to figure out how far he can push things

So far Putin has concluded he can keep pushing. While pretending he's interested in peace talks and a ceasefire, he continue to move his military West and finalizing paperwork on taking parts of Georgia.

Obama pretends to be tough by applying sanctions but does other things that put money in Russia's pocket. Obama lifted sanctions against Iran as part of the "reset" with Russia, and recently completed purchasing over a billion dollars of suspiciously overpriced Russian military hardware for Afghanistan's military. Obama is giving Iran over 12 billion dollars to lure them to the negotiating table to talk about nukes. Don't know if nuke talks will be fruitful but Iran did engage in a military deal with Russia recently. Our tax dollars at work....against us. I'm sure Iran will end up doing what they always do, take the money and pretend to cooperate until they need more money. Maybe Obama can send Putin a few billion dollars to lure him to the peace talk table too? Maybe we can buy Russian military equipment for Ukraine as we did for Afghanistan? Links 1 and 2

Putin is also making friends with some of the worlds worst actors. Besides making deals with China and Iran recently, he scheduled to have, arguably the worst dictator in the world, Kim Jong-Un visit Moscow. Can any good come of this? Link 3. Putin is extremely active for a guy not involved in Ukraine.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/08/russian-helicopters-us-1-billion-afghan-military_n_4408278.html

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2014/11/03/russia-delivers-last-of-u-s-bought-helicopters-to-afghan-military/

http://news.yahoo.com/china-welcome-kim-jong-un-visit-moscow-192149710.html

http://www.funker530.com/us-soldiers-armored-vehicles-going-to-ukraine/

Looks like we're getting involved.

What's a few dozen Kozak vehicles going to do against tanks? I know the article states USA is delivering them but they are made in Ukraine. In link below is America's "Security Assurances" to Ukraine. While we've bought over a billion dollars of Russian military equipment over the last few years for Afghanistan and giving 12 billion dollars to Iran to encourage them to talk to us, we are giving Ukraine 23 million in military assistance, some of that is in the form of food. Hopefully Obama gets his priorities straight.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/06/04/fact-sheet-us-security-assistance-ukraine
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541536
Total Topics: 20868
Most Online Today: 2066
Most Online Ever: 12701