It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2nd Trip planning  (Read 35547 times)

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2nd Trip planning
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »

I prefer to sit on the wings. I am a nervous flier.
It is more stable ride there than anywhere else.

The new generation aircraft   eg   A 380   A 330   Boeing 777 ,787   etc       are very big step forward in passenger comfort  -- in this case I am talking about ride quality & quietness.The rear of an A380 has a lot less noise than a seat in front of the engines of a 747.

As an example --even the very rear seats have far less movement than a 747 --which was often akin to riding a bus on a not so good road!
Some airlines have far more leg room than others  eg Emirates.
The now defunct Russian airline TransAero had 777 configuration with economy legroom more akin to business on some other airlines.Some Aeroflot long haul flights also offer enhanced leg room.( I have not flown any Russian airline since the invasion).

The advantage of choosing a rear seat on long haul --the seats toward the front of aircraft tend to be chosen first and allocated leaving the potential for empty seats around you !
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:17:10 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2017, 04:56:44 PM »
The new generation aircraft   eg   A 380   A 330   Boeing 777 ,787   etc       are very big step forward in passenger comfort  -- in this case I am talking about ride quality & quietness.The rear of an A380 has a lot less noise than a seat in front of the engines of a 747.

As an example --even the very rear seats have far less movement than a 747 --which was often akin to riding a bus on a not so good road!
Some airlines have far more leg room than others  eg Emirates.
The now defunct Russian airline TransAero had 777 configuration with economy legroom more akin to business on some other airlines.Some Aeroflot long haul flights also offer enhanced leg room.( I have not flown any Russian airline since the invasion).

The advantage of choosing a rear seat on long haul --the seats toward the front of aircraft tend to be chosen first and allocated leaving the potential for empty seats around you !

The pitch between rows (legroom) is also generally greater in the last few rows - anything up to 3 inches extra on some airlines.  It may not matter too much for average-sized folks, but it's definitely a plus for those who are taller.

Another defunct Russian airline, AviaNova, was also wonderful with its legroom.  This was a budget carrier (think EasyJet or Ryanair) using A320s, but with the best legroom I've ever seen in economy class - and that includes the Emirates A380.

Offline wallm

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2017, 08:54:53 PM »
VZ says my old unused Galaxy S4 & S3 are unlocked and should work in Ukraine.

Question - which company's SIM to buy (calls & internet)? Life Cell or Kyivstar. I want to be able to use it in Kiev, Kharkiv, Odessa. Recall reading somewhere the coverage is not the same for both companies based on location.

Offline JayH

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2017, 09:09:15 PM »

Question - which company's SIM to buy (calls & internet)? Life Cell or Kyivstar. I want to be able to use it in Kiev, Kharkiv, Odessa. Recall reading somewhere the coverage is not the same for both companies based on location.

Buy a LIFE  sim. They are still growing with customer numbers.
Calls  & sms  Life to Life are free and included.

You need pre-paid sim   -- not an account.

Company is called LIFECELL now.
They have specific western style stores that are a lot of help if you have a problem.  You can buy sim and recharge cards at many places--including street booths all over Ukraine.Probably at airport on arrival.
Getting operable phone should be a priority.
It also gives you data --so google can work most places. that is needed for Google translate .
Phone can be set to pick up free wi-fi as preference and use phone as back up.

Cost is cheap --I suggest 300 grv initially --it is nothing in western terms.
http://www.lifecell.com.ua/index.php?area=businesslife&lng=en&page=1-47
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »

Area you are in determines which company is more prevalent. Area Kiev and central Ukraine Kyivstar, in south more Life and in eastern parts MTC. Since you have 2 phones, get a number for each K-star and Life, I do this often. Your calls/other persons calls will be free with same carrier. Kyivstar largest, Vodaphone( MTS) second and Lifecell 3rd.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
Area you are in determines which company is more prevalent. Area Kiev and central Ukraine Kyivstar, in south more Life and in eastern parts MTC. Since you have 2 phones, get a number for each K-star and Life, I do this often. Your calls/other persons calls will be free with same carrier. Kyivstar largest, Vodaphone( MTS) second and Lifecell 3rd.

You are over complicating it  -- Life coverage is solid all over Ukraine and all that is needed/

http://biz.liga.net/all/telekom/novosti/3218187-pochemu-life-stal-lifecell-top-5-izmeneniy-posle-rebrendinga-.htm

Map  refers to higher level performance --which is virtually everywhere except occupied eastern Ukraine and occupied Crimea

Also --you call a girl from different Ukr numbers and you will find yourself "trying" to explain !!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:51:42 PM by JayH »

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
You are over complicating it  -- Life coverage is solid all over Ukraine and all that is needed/

I agree, I used Life and it worked just fine in Crimea, Odessa, Kyiv and Lviv every time I traveled to Ukraine. Many women have multiple phones with different providers so that can talk to their friends and family for free.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline wallm

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:51 PM »
I am going to take the Intercity train from Kiev to Kharkiv. 4.5 hours. $16 for First Class. Figured out that the train station is not far from the apartment I will be staying in Kiev. Hopefully I won't fuk anything up on my first train journey in Ukraine. ;D

It seems they have place for baggage at the end of the coach. Is it safe to leave the suitcases in there? I don't want them to go for a walk. Is there a place above the seats like on Amtrak to put the luggage on?

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »
It seems they have place for baggage at the end of the coach. Is it safe to leave the suitcases in there? I don't want them to go for a walk. Is there a place above the seats like on Amtrak to put the luggage on?

It should be safe enough  - you can always keep an eye on them, and anyone taking them for a walk is still stuck on the train until the next stop.

It's pretty dangerous to have suitcases (especially big, heavy ones) on an open overhead rack in any country.  Not only are the racks not designed for it, a case could kill someone if it fell off during a bumpy section of the trip.  :o

Offline JayH

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
I am going to take the Intercity train from Kiev to Kharkiv. 4.5 hours. $16 for First Class. Figured out that the train station is not far from the apartment I will be staying in Kiev. Hopefully I won't fuk anything up on my first train journey in Ukraine. ;D

Soak up the differences  - it is good to see different thinking!  You can enjoy the experiences you will have. Relax a little--you will meet good people.
Give yourself plenty of time to make departure times-- dont put any pressure on yourself.
Enjoy. ;D

Offline wallm

« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2017, 10:34:47 AM »
Any recommendations for hotel/apartment in Kharkiv? I would like to be right in the center close to restaurants, things to see, etc.

Offline GregfromGa

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2017, 12:58:26 PM »
Any recommendations for hotel/apartment in Kharkiv? I would like to be right in the center close to restaurants, things to see, etc.

If you can pull off this trip with all these cities and all these women and any of them actually take you serious then you are good. If by some chance you meet the right one and sparks fly and all that goes with it, when will you return?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 01:18:28 PM by AnonMod »

Offline msmob

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2017, 01:22:05 PM »

Kharkiv Palace Premier Hotel - 5 star - top rated by reviews

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SmartDeals-g295369-Kharkiv_Kharkiv_Oblast-Hotel-Deals.html

Booking.com has plenty of apartments c25-35 USD / night but lots are booked

Offline LAman

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »

www.dobovo.com 

airbnb.com

Offline wallm

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2017, 04:31:13 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.
What is the best way to go to Nikolaev from Kharkiv?
Is there a bus? I see there is a train but that takes like 16 hours.
I could fly through Kiev to ODS and then take taxi.

Offline LAman

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:30 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations.
Is there a bus? I see there is a train but that takes like 16 hours.
I could fly through Kiev to ODS and then take taxi.

NOOOOOOO best way!!! Don't think there is a direct bus. Flying could also be a nightmare....lugging suitcases and TIMING of everything. Only 2 flights morn & evening. Morning too hard unless you take slow overnight train. Evening difficult cause afternoon express gets in at 6pm.....would have to hustle even using taxi( evening traffic). Or sit around for 7.5 hours (using morning train) after sitting for 4.5!!!! Your call!!

Edit: Got a brilliant idea use morning flight HRK-ODS  7- 11:50!!!!! Arrange taxi and you'll be in Nikoleav( can i write that?) by around ~2 ish/14:00 ish!!!  Flight for ~70usd.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 05:10:15 PM by LAman »

Offline wallm

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
Edit: Got a brilliant idea use morning flight HRK-ODS  7- 11:50!!!!! Arrange taxi and you'll be in Nikoleav( can i write that?) by around ~2 ish/14:00 ish!!!  Flight for ~70usd.

Flights work well if they are on time.

Offline LAman

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2017, 08:29:41 PM »
Flights work well if they are on time.

Same airline on one ticket.... they'll wait for you
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:59:11 PM by LAman »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2017, 10:08:33 PM »

Personally I would try and be near them at all stops, but I would do that in all countries not just the FSU. Put it this way if you're not is direct contact with your luggage then it gives room for someone else to be. As has been said here its unlikely someone will wander around with it between stops, but I would get there a bit before the stop to be sure in case they wander with it knowing stop will come up before they reach the end of the train. Also, use a solid case as fabric ones are targeted as easy to rip open and often lighter for get away. That said though I would take as small a suitcase as possible so it does not give the impression you might be carrying loads of stuff. Also, remove all money, passport etc to person before journey and try to take as little of value stuff as possible.

Since other hiccups I've experienced in the past I'm just going to stick to a small travel suitcase from now on that I can keep with me at all times. Anything else risks too much attention from the wrong sources and is just a hell of a lot of stuff to replace if all goes missing. Best to travel light and with speed, also look out for any person(s) who may be on the look out for unaware foreigners to take advantage and any signs from those type that they may have noticed you, glances, body rotation toward you, etc. Never rely on anyone else to look out for your luggage whether its a coach driver, train guard, pleasant stranger (perhaps unusually so) as they may be either in on a theft scam of unwitting travellers baggage or most likley not give a damn when it happens whatever reassurance they give before hand. If they insist on you leaving the luggage with them find some other method of travel.

Kharkiv is a bit of a industrial area with a fair amount of poverty around from what I hear so stick to the more reasonable areas I would. In general I've found many of those I've journeyed with in the Ukraine friendly and decent bunch who often offer up helpful advice if it looks to them that you may be a bit out there, but just be on alert as much as possible just in case I would.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
Trench

Bear in mind many of our mates on here are not on long weekend trips from London - they are coming for 10 days or more from t'other sides of the world.

The solid suitcase is a good point.

Travelling by taxi / car or flights are best if you are paranoid about theft of luggage. One cannot keep an eye on valuables all the time on long journeys - nodding up / toilet breaks, etc.,

'Multi-destination' trips are a PiA, but some of our mates like a challenge and seeing as many lasses as possible :)

Offline Bounder

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2017, 05:24:37 AM »

I'm not familiar with Ukrainian domestic trains. I only took an international train from Kiev to Moscow. But those who know better - if he's going 1st class, will he not be in a compartment with space for luggage?

Wallm - you know best with what you're doing but I do get the impression you are doing a lot of transiting from one place to the other for this trip. Not only is it going to be eating into your time, but I imagine it could add a lot of unneeded stress. I hope it works out for you.

Are you going to be willing to change your travel plans if you meet your dream girl?

Offline wallm

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
I am going there for 21 days. Can't do all that with a carry-on.))

If I find the one, I will stop right where she is and stay for a bit. Internal travel in Ukraine is cheap enough that I don't care about losing money on air tickets that are non-refundable.

Question about ATM Withdrawals..... On my November trip, my bank charged me $5 every time I made a withdrawal. And I was limited to 2500 UAH for each one. My bank says they didn't have that limit. It seems ATMs in Ukraine have such limit. (I was able to withdraw 400 Euros in Paris) What is the best way to take UAH out of ATMs in Ukraine? Are there certain banks that allow larger withdrawals? I was using the ATMs in banks located in maidan last time. I will take more USD from here and perhaps exchange to UAH.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 06:18:54 AM by wallm »

Offline ML

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »

South would be best.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline LAman

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
South would be best.

I don't know, maybe if he wanted to get in on some of that fighting!!!

I'd go .....Southwest myself!!!  Start West then go South.

Offline JayH

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »
I am going there for 21 days. Can't do all that with a carry-on.))

If I find the one, I will stop right where she is and stay for a bit. Internal travel in Ukraine is cheap enough that I don't care about losing money on air tickets that are non-refundable.

Question about ATM Withdrawals..... On my November trip, my bank charged me $5 every time I made a withdrawal. And I was limited to 2500 UAH for each one. My bank says they didn't have that limit. It seems ATMs in Ukraine have such limit. (I was able to withdraw 400 Euros in Paris) What is the best way to take UAH out of ATMs in Ukraine? Are there certain banks that allow larger withdrawals? I was using the ATMs in banks located in maidan last time. I will take more USD from here and perhaps exchange to UAH.

I can only get UAH 2000 per transaction--- but no problem to repeat immediately etc  . I much prefer Privat Bank(green & black logo) for ease of use and Eng option ! It also has modest charge -- which may or may not relate to some reciprocal deal with my bank-- so check with your own bank on that.
Other banks charge me similar to your figure.
It is usually not a problem to buy air tickets internally at short notice. If you look at UIA website there are often really well priced specials at last minute.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541320
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701