It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: #10 To Ukr  (Read 2601 times)

Offline START2

#10 To Ukr
« on: August 12, 2008, 01:28:17 PM »
    Didn't know where to start with this report so maybe if I just begin to ramble it will give ya'll a chance to kill some time.
    First I want to say I'm sorry I missed both meetings I was going to have with a couple of guys here. I missed Thor in Kharkiv the second day I was there. We were going to meet on a saturday as he was returning home the next day. I heard he hooked up with some fellas to catch a wedding, and about the same time I was sitting in a dentists chair in Poltava. The dentist visits were planned but the work I needed done had to start right away. I spent 6 or 7 partial days getting some work done. Had 4 root canals, 2 small cavities filled, 4 silver fillings changed to white ones, and a new partial made. I had been putting all that off for about 6 months all to save a liitle cash. All that work came to $700. Plus, my dentist was blonde, slim, and could have been in any fashion mag. All wife approved of course. Think I shared that with catz in an earlier PM. Groov also told me at those prices he wouldn't mind getting a root canal done just for the helluvit. To Thor, sorry dude, maybe next time. Whoever you were that got married.......Congratulations!!!!
    Next sorry is to Groov. He already knows all this, but we were planning to hook up on our return but had weather probs in NY. We were to arrive at 4pm, get a hotel and have dinner with him and his wife. As it turned out, about noon or 1pm some strong storms rolled through NJ an NY and closed down everything. Planes were backed up for hours. We ended up landing in Bangor,Maine and sittingng there till maybe 5-6pm. When we got to JFK it was pushing 7pm and the baggage didn't hit the carousel till around 8. Got to the hotel around 9 and tried to call G but no luck. The had gotten cabin fever and went out for awhile. We wanted to call earlier but our cells were DOA. Sorry g.
     I know, some of you are are thinking, why did you spend vacation time at a dentist? Well guys, times have changed. I have'nt been a coyote in Ukr for 4 years now. Now I'm just an OMB who goes to visit friends and family. That's not to say I don't still enjoy being a man in the FSU as someone else here has coined. It still really is good to be a man in Ukr. The wife tolerates me and my testosterone levels we we get here.
    Day 1 has us landing in Kyiv. Nice and early (10am) and on time. Here, I want to thank Taz for inspiring me to rent a vehicle. I should have done this before now but then again, after several trips, now I was ready. I rented a little compct Skoda Fabia. 1.4 lt. Room for 5 but at one time I think we squeezed in 9. Budget had it ready to go and everything was in order. I was surprised at the quickness of this little jewel. While here, I put it through it's paces. Next time I might move up to the Octavia, but for the first time driving, this car was satisfactory. Got about 40mpg from what I could figure. Gas was about $6.50/gal.  Will add more later.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: #10 To Ukr
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 06:58:08 PM »
Welcome Home My Friend!

My family comes home tomorrow and boy am I glad of that! Bachelor life is good for about a week then there is this big empty place where they are supposed to be. Give me a shout over the weekend sometime. We'll be out most of Saturday at a company picnic but Sunday is free.

Glad you had some good dental (ahem!  :D ) service done!

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline START2

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 07:45:13 AM »
Thanks Ken,
   Have a good time at the picnic. Val and I are headed to Lexington, Ky. this morning to catch the American Idol concert. She really got into it this past season and thought David Cook was awesome. I have to admit, his rendition of Billy Jean just blew me away.
  I wanted to add a few tips about driving in Ukr. Almost all cities have some sort of circle to drive around. Remember that when navigating, the driver to the right always has the right of way. Can be a tricky at first but after a few times, it becomes quite normal.
  Most roads aren't much better than some of our poorest roads here. Lots of bumps, patches and potholes. Drivers are risk takers so don't be surprised if they pass you on hills, around curves and even at times, will pass in between you and another car on a two lane road. I think they consider a two lane road a three lane road. I found myself shaking my head in disbelief more times than not but after a week found myself conforming. I have a new respect for any of the cars especially the old Lada's that last more than 5 years on most of these roads.
   Before we left I asked my friend who's a cop there how to deal with the local cops if you get stopped. First advice was to pull over, grab your documents, and get out of the car and walk to them. This apparently is a sign of respect. From there you just have to wing it. They will will probably check to see that you have fire extinguisher, first aid , and roadside kit that includes those red tri-angle signs that are placed on the road behind you. I also asked when was a proper time make an offer;). Aleg just told me to give him a call and he'd take care of business so I left it at that. I assumed I'd be sent on my way. Near the end of our stay I was almost hoping we'd be stopped so I'd get a little experience but of course when is that ever convenient?
  Like here, drivers will flash their lights if there's a speed trap ahead. No one wants to be delayed for any reason.
  Have a good weekend all.

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 01:25:40 AM »
I just wonder if it was possible to recognize your car as a rental by license plate ? Most cops do not like the hassle of going over their routine with foreigners that do not know the drill. ;)
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2225
Total: 2235

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM