It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: "Good for you"  (Read 4507 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
"Good for you"
« on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:24 AM »
What does this saying mean when FSU women say it? I'very had a couple of women on the ukraine say it at one point or another and wondered do they mean it literally like sincerely or is there a hidden meaning like they think you are being selfish or a kind of sarcasm. Just wondered, I may be reading more into it than perhaps I should but whenever FSU women say it, it kind of feels like there is a hidden meaning to me, but perhaps it's just me.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
Re: "Good for you"
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
wondered do they mean it literally like sincerely or is there a hidden meaning like they think you are being selfish or a kind of sarcasm.

What did you say exactly for them to reply "Good for you"?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 09:05:43 AM »
Don't fully remember. I know with one I was having some cake, I said it was nice she replied 'good for you. I did offer to buy her some bit she refused. The other time it was something I had done I think when I was talking about myself or maybe a nice suite I had booked myself into, can't quite remember now. I Juse wondered if the phrase has some kind of hidden conotation in the FSU I don't know about.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 09:14:59 AM »
Don't fully remember. I know with one I was having some cake, I said it was nice she replied 'good for you. I did offer to buy her some bit she refused. The other time it was something I had done I think when I was talking about myself or maybe a nice suite I had booked myself into, can't quite remember now. I Juse wondered if the phrase has some kind of hidden conotation in the FSU I don't know about.

Was that before or after you told her she had to buy her own coffee?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »
Was that before or after you told her she had to buy her own coffee?

Lol, nah I bought her a drink I think or at least offered to like the cake. I'm pretty sure she had a drink. Can't quite remember fully whether I offered to buy her cake before or after the 'good for you' phrase. I dunno all that stuff is cheap enough for me out there even if I'm buying for two but perhaps she was stating to feel it a bit as they are pretty poor out there - just wondered really.

Offline Brasscasing

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 09:46:49 AM »
Trench,

I looked into the term "Good for you" on a few Russian and Ukrainian linguistic/translation sites (take that for what it's worth) searching it under insult, derogatory, cursing, similar wording, etc. and nothing came back.

With my limited knowledge of the language I would suggest, like in the English language, it may be all in the delivery in that "Good for you" can be said as a positive exclamation or in a somewhat facetious, sarcastic way. Tone and context of the conversation would matter I would think.

Was it said to you in English or did you translate the phrase/wording yourself?

Brass
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 09:50:46 AM by Brasscasing »
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »
Trench,

I looked into the term "Good for you" on a few Russian and Ukrainian linguistic/translation sites (take that for what it's worth) searching it under insult, derogatory, cursing, similar wording, etc. and nothing came back.

With my limited knowledge of the language I would suggest, like in the English language, it may be all in the delivery in that "Good for you" can be said as a positive exclamation or in a somewhat facetious, sarcastic way. Tone and context of the conversation would matter I would think.

Was it said to you in English or did you translate the phrase/wording yourself?

Brass

It was in English she spoke, it wasn't really in an obliviously facesium way or anything but since Ive had it come up a couple of times now thought I would ask just out of interest. I know a lot of foreigners areally not necessarily clued up the saying some stuff wit just an unintended tone could be taken to be a firm of wit, sarcasm, jibe, attitude, etc. I don't get bothered over such stuff I just wondered as a couple of girls have said it now both in the ukraine. Perhaps it's just the English response phrases they learn. Whereas  here in the west we know people can give a slant to a perfectly reasonable phrase such as this if meant at face value. Just my thoughts so far on this.

Offline Brasscasing

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »
It was in English she spoke, it wasn't really in an obliviously facesium way or anything but since Ive had it come up a couple of times now thought I would ask just out of interest. I know a lot of foreigners areally not necessarily clued up the saying some stuff wit just an unintended tone could be taken to be a firm of wit, sarcasm, jibe, attitude, etc. I don't get bothered over such stuff I just wondered as a couple of girls have said it now both in the ukraine. Perhaps it's just the English response phrases they learn. Whereas  here in the west we know people can give a slant to a perfectly reasonable phrase such as this if meant at face value. Just my thoughts so far on this.

On the face of it, I'd say this is your first, best answer (my bolded) but I'd be interested in a native speaker's thoughts on your query. :)

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 10:54:54 AM »
What does this saying mean when FSU women say it? I'very had a couple of women on the ukraine say it at one point or another and wondered do they mean it literally like sincerely or is there a hidden meaning like they think you are being selfish or a kind of sarcasm. Just wondered, I may be reading more into it than perhaps I should but whenever FSU women say it, it kind of feels like there is a hidden meaning to me, but perhaps it's just me.

Never heard it said in English by a Russian or even in Russian ...I've often hard 'Very well' used as 'very good' or (молодец) - Well done ?
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »

In your case it means she  has figured out you are a moron--  a greedy one at that!
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
In your case it means she  has figured out you are a moron--  a greedy one at that!

Oh, I see that will explain it, lol.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 08:54:22 AM »
On the face of it, I'd say this is your first, best answer (my bolded) but I'd be interested in a native speaker's thoughts on your query. :)

Brass

Yeah, I think we're probably right here Brass. :)

Offline alex330

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 12:11:41 PM »
My wife says the expression does not exist in Ukraine. It is just an English saying they pick up like Brass mentions above.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541374
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 1315
Most Online Ever: 12701