It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: "Let me, That's women work", She said....  (Read 17701 times)

Offline Mir

Re: "Let me, That's women work", She said....
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2007, 06:15:07 AM »
No way in He!! would I EVER want that!

So you want her to become fat and lose her accent? :)

Offline MaxxumUSA

• Back in the game!
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2007, 06:21:41 AM »
So you want her to become fat and lose her accent? :)

Mir,

You are a Jewel.
Back to having fun in life!

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2007, 06:32:14 AM »
Yeah.... that's it. You caught my hidden agenda. I'm gonna fatten her up good now... ::)
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline KenC

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2007, 06:40:00 AM »
Mir,

You are a Jewel.
Is that "jewel or "tool?"

:ROFL:
KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mir

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2007, 06:51:34 AM »
hmm Ken you are in a good mood, is it because Lenna is away and there is no one to nag you about the mess?  :D

Offline KenC

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2007, 07:04:34 AM »
hmm Ken you are in a good mood, is it because Lenna is away and there is no one to nag you about the mess?  :D
Actually, I am neater than she is and nag her.
KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Yulz

« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2007, 12:23:31 PM »
I promise no cat fight :) but I am not gonna be a lizard either, just in case

:) thanks, Jazzyclassy :)

Offline Yulz

« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2007, 12:36:07 PM »
Yulz,
     While your post was an excellent one overall, it carried a certain air to it that bothered me.  It seemed that you were saying that the traditional way was fine for Russia, but when the RW got to the US she would become "enlightened" and see the new better way.  We have to be careful with this assumption that the Western way of thinking is inherently better.  I married a RW and moved to Ukraine because I prefer their attitudes, beliefs and ways of thinking.  Why on earth would I want to bring her to the US and teach her to think and act like an AW?

Umm.. ScottinCrimea.. This is not at all what I implied.
My post was about why certain RW behave the way they do and why it might be challenging for them to adapt to a new culture. Please note the "might be" part of the sentence. Because when all is said and done, it is a fact that the traditional approach is wide spread in the US as well :) Just like in many countries in the EU, just like in most of Asia, just like in the Middle East. I fully realize that. And if a RW lives in an environment similar to the one at home, obviously, assimilation will not be as difficult.
However, I have to say that I am an opponent of purely traditional gender roles; which apparently lingered through in my post :)

Offline Yulz

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2007, 12:44:04 PM »
And for the record...  Yulz...  just curious...  are you a WM, RW, RW in USA, etc.  ??  Just curiosity here.  I'm curious of your experience and where your opinion comes from.

If you are a RW when and how did you get to where you are.  And...  Where are you?

MaxxumUSA, you're right.. it is always much easier to understand other people's opinions when you are aware of their background.
I have no idea what WM stands for... the only thing that comes to mind is Wall Mart for some reason.. :)
I'm russian; currently residing in Canada; came to this country a few years back and am loving it :) Oh, and no, I'm not married; and did not come here on a K1.

Offline MaxxumUSA

• Back in the game!
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2007, 03:59:20 PM »
MaxxumUSA, you're right.. it is always much easier to understand other people's opinions when you are aware of their background.
I have no idea what WM stands for... the only thing that comes to mind is Wall Mart for some reason.. :)
I'm russian; currently residing in Canada; came to this country a few years back and am loving it :) Oh, and no, I'm not married; and did not come here on a K1.

Ok...  almost a complete answer.  I will enlighten you with the short terms:

WM=Western Man
AW=American Woman
AM=American Man
RW=Russian Woman
RM=Russian Man

Are you a:  RM or RW?

I think you avoided your gender if at least on accident.

???

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2007, 04:29:35 PM »
Umm.. ScottinCrimea.. This is not at all what I implied.
My post was about why certain RW behave the way they do and why it might be challenging for them to adapt to a new culture. Please note the "might be" part of the sentence. Because when all is said and done, it is a fact that the traditional approach is wide spread in the US as well :) Just like in many countries in the EU, just like in most of Asia, just like in the Middle East. I fully realize that. And if a RW lives in an environment similar to the one at home, obviously, assimilation will not be as difficult.
However, I have to say that I am an opponent of purely traditional gender roles; which apparently lingered through in my post :)

The "traditional approach" is not just widespread (why does that make it sound like a disease?), it is the standard gender role that has evolved across all cultures and geographic regions.  One would think that there must be some reason for that other than being "purely" traditional.

I think perhaps you left another faulty implication with this statement.  Did you really mean that you are opposed to such gender roles or that it is simply not your personal preference?

I think some additional information about yourself would provide us all some enlightenment.  Like Maxxum suggested, are you being deliberately obscure?  What I see so far is that you are a Russian woman who now lives in Canada but didn't come over on a K1.  MInd of I ask your age and what brought you to leave Russia and go to Canada?

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2007, 05:21:26 PM »
In case of further problems with acronyms and other possibly obscure terms used here, have a look at the RWD Glossary: http://russianwomendiscussion.com/wiki/index.php?RWD%20Glossary ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Yulz

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
I think you avoided your gender if at least on accident.

???

RW.
You, guys, ask too many questions :) it's too easy to miss out on details :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 07:12:18 PM by Yulz »

Offline Yulz

« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2007, 06:41:47 PM »
I think some additional information about yourself would provide us all some enlightenment.  Like Maxxum suggested, are you being deliberately obscure?  What I see so far is that you are a Russian woman who now lives in Canada but didn't come over on a K1.  MInd of I ask your age and what brought you to leave Russia and go to Canada?

ScottinCrimea, are you picking on me? :)
It seems that my opinions are undergoing too much scrutiny here.
First, let's not forget about the matriarchal societies that used to be widespread as well (take ancient Egypt, for instance).
Secondly, even if you assume that the traditional approach is a standard, you cannot talk about a standard being universal; a standard is only a standard at a certain point in time. As soon as there is a change in circumstances, that standard might change. And the traditional approach sometimes is no longer applicable. A change in circumstances is as likely to take place here as it is in Russia (well let's assume that for the sake of simplicity); and we are already undergoing a change.
I don't think that additional information about me, other than what I have already provided, would help you to be honest.
If my post offended your views somehow, I apologize.

Offline Yulz

« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »
maybe soon you will change also your Yulia name into Julia or Juliette or something

It's funny, Jazzyclassy, but I think you are the only one who actually caught on to my name :):):) I'm proud of my russian roots and would never even consider changing my name :)
I do like Juliette though.. it has an Italian flare to it :)

Offline Yulz

« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2007, 07:24:50 PM »
In case of further problems with acronyms and other possibly obscure terms used here, have a look at the RWD Glossary: http://russianwomendiscussion.com/wiki/index.php?RWD%20Glossary ;)

Much obliged! :)

Offline Gator

« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2007, 07:27:24 PM »
Yulia,

Your syntax and vocabulary are better than most native writers at RWD.  Your opinions reflect someone not only with with comprehension, but perhaps with an academic background.  You also know the little known fact that the America govenment taxes foreign earned income (one of only two countries to do that).  

This makes you a mystery woman.  

One might think that you are an American man masquerading as a RW.  However, this has been attempted before, such as by an attorney in LA named Scot Jay,  and all those attempts wrote in a “pigeon English” style, not the style of an academic.  Further, your opinions are not inflammatory, albeit some are those of modern woman who equates a traditional role to a hierarchical relationship.   One going to the trouble of hiding his/her true self would seemingly try to foment some spirited debate, rather than make polite comments.

In any event, you should remain a mystery if you so choose.  Nevertheless, RWD is a community and posters will accept you sooner and interact more if they thought you not a stranger.

Offline Simoni

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
Gator,

Very insightful post....

My sentiments, exactly.

Yulia...tell us more, mystery poster  ;D

Offline Yulz

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2007, 08:02:09 PM »

My sentiments, exactly.

:) hmmm... what could I possibly say that would persuade you I'm not a mid aged lawyer? lol :)
I have no reason to hide; at the same time, I think we've all heard about confidentiality of information being jeopardized on the Internet. However, I would love to answer any general questions you might have; as a matter of fact, I opened a new topic in the "Ice Breaker" section for that very purpose :)
Oh, and Gator, trust me, my knowledge of the US tax system is quite limited :) I'll answer any questions you might have about the Canadian one though :)

Offline Simoni

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »
:) hmmm... what could I possibly say that would persuade you I'm not a mid aged (male) lawyer? lol :)

Well, you could always post your picture here...  ;D  LOL

Offline Jazzyclassy

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »
It's funny, Jazzyclassy, but I think you are the only one who actually caught on to my name :):):) I'm proud of my russian roots and would never even consider changing my name :)
I do like Juliette though.. it has an Italian flare to it :)

Yeah:) Juliette is absolutely amazing I think  though I like  this name Yulichka or  Yulita it is like in spanish manner well they start it with the other letter, but we can ommit it:)))

Or Yulitochka or Juliettochka  but yes I agree Juliette is absolutely passionate mysterious and full of pure beauty:)

Of course I picked it out quickly cos Yulz:P what else could it be? Yulz it is like in russian Юльс I think very friendly name plus this name means cuddly , curly something like that:)

I love to learn things about names my fav russian names are Nastya , Irina, Ekaterina well I like Yulia of course, I also like the name Sofia,  but I like the cuddly name of it Sonichka:)

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2007, 05:11:39 AM »
Much obliged! :)
You're welcome, Giulietta ;).

Of course I picked it out quickly cos Yulz:P what else could it be? Yulz it is like in russian Юльс I think very friendly name plus this name means cuddly, curly something like that:)
Jazzy, the names G/I/J/Yulio/a derive from Caesar's gens:

GAIUS IULIUS CAESAR
(praenomen-nomen-cognomen)

In Latin names, the "nomen" part indicated one's family/clan/tribe. Caesar's gens Iulia claimed direct descent from Iulo (Ascanius), grandchild of Aphrodites (Venus) and son of Trojan Aeneas who, according to a legend revamped by Virgil in his celebratory epic poem Aeneid, fled burning Troy leading his young son and carrying his aged father Prince Anchises piggyback (see coin below) thanks to his goddess mother's help, and eventually landed in Latium (Rome's region) after a sea voyage shorter and less eventful than Ulysses's (reported in Homer's epic poem Odyssey, a sequel to his Iliad on the Trojan war, see also a recent version featuring Brad Pitt :)). 

As you can see here http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Caesar,_name, the name's etymology is controversial, and includes "wooly worm", which might relate to your "curly" hypothesis ;D.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 08:30:28 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2007, 08:25:35 AM »
Yulz, I'm not picking on you (yet)  :D.  I just prefer that I am clear on the intentions of members when they post.  If there's an agenda, I prefer to know it.  Unfortunately, I'm going to have to challenge you a bit on your most recent comments.

First, let's not forget about the matriarchal societies that used to be widespread as well (take ancient Egypt, for instance).
Secondly, even if you assume that the traditional approach is a standard, you cannot talk about a standard being universal; a standard is only a standard at a certain point in time. As soon as there is a change in circumstances, that standard might change. And the traditional approach sometimes is no longer applicable. A change in circumstances is as likely to take place here as it is in Russia (well let's assume that for the sake of simplicity); and we are already undergoing a change.

The term matriarchy has become somewhat of a feminist term because there is really no common agreement on what the term means.  If you are referring to a matrilinear society, such as the ancient Egyptians you mention followed, this only reflects only the ruling class and the transfer of power through the lineage of the woman.  Most societies that were once termed matriarchal were and are in fact egalitarian, where the decision making power is not based on sex at all and women have an equal voice.

Despite your claim, there never was widespread matriarchy.  Of course a standard may change over time, but despite significant changes in circumstances over the centuries, the "traditional" roles have been maintained.  Even in those societies that were forced into a different role through wars or natural disasters, once the situation normalized, the traditional roles were resumed.

Now of course none of this has anything to do with what we were discussing.  We weren't discussing a political or economical system, but the roles within a family, as it reflects who does what chores and why.  I guess my gripe was that I was detecting a distinct feminist tone in your comments that was seeming to project the idea that enlightenment of a woman comes from understanding your view of how things should be and becoming "assimilated".

Offline MaxxumUSA

• Back in the game!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2007, 08:55:39 AM »
Umm...  I started this post because I was just wondering if I should help with the dishes!  Wow.  LOL

Definitely a learning experience.  ;)

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »
Umm...  I started this post because I was just wondering if I should help with the dishes!  Wow.  LOLDefinitely a learning experience.  ;)
Since they seem adamant on NOT letting you, you might use the information to keep her company during the process, and telling her of an old love story where a certain ravishing Elena caused a LOT of trouble ;D.
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541299
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3602