It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: WHERE did you get married?  (Read 8673 times)

Offline ConnerVT

WHERE did you get married?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 12:10:39 PM »
jb, I'm not afraid.  A good rule to live by is never do anything that you will be embarrased to admit later (especially if there are cameras around!)

This was a bit later in the day at Richard and Valya's wedding celebration.  I'm on the right, Rvr is in the middle, and Phil from Piter is to the left

Offline Goombah

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 12:28:24 PM »
We wanted to get married on February 23rd, our introduction date, and did so - but with complication that the ceremony occured on a Thursday night.

We found a rent-a-chapel that came complete with a rent-a-minister ($500 for both), had the ceremony with family and a few friends (perhaps 20 people including the photographer friend), and then went to a nice restaurant afterwords ($720 after a generous tip with everyone ordering whatever they wanted to eat or drink from the menu).  The misses and I spent the evening in a B&B.

That weekend we had a reception at the house for about 50.  That required a bit more coordination since we had to rent tables, tablecloths, chairs, etc.  Fortunately that was simplified by the caterer who coordinated everything.  Great food, great time, but we limited it to a 6pm->9pm event so that we could catch an early flight the next morning.  About $2K, which included the wedding cake and two servers for the evening.

Kevin

Offline Wayne

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 11:05:02 AM »
I checked about the Orthodox wedding in Michigan.  A second marriage in Orthodox faith does not require the chuch annolment--such as the Catholic (me).  There is not a six month waiting period--as in Catholic church.  There is only one choice for Orthodox service in small city, Traverse City.  It is for Greek, Russian etc.  Most of the mass is said in English.  The Priest travels back and forth from Detroit.  The services are held in a church of another faith, as the Orthodox church is not yet built.

I am thinking about asking the Catholic priest if we can use his church for the Orthodox wedding, and asking him to attend as a guest.  That way, the church would only be three miles from our home.  I have a large room in the walk-out basement area that could hold 100 or more guests.  Besides, it will be Summer so the party could extend outside, down the hill, and into Grand Traverse Bay.  Just tell everyone to bring their swim suit.  The wedding will probably last three days!

Offline dwfunk

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2006, 05:13:23 PM »
Quote from: Wayne
I checked about the Orthodox wedding in Michigan.  A second marriage in Orthodox faith does not require the chuch annolment--such as the Catholic (me).
Further question to you guys that married or are going to be married in the Orthodox church but you are not Orthodox, how did you do it??  Did you become Orthodox? or was some other "waiver" for lack of a better word, granted to you?

--
David & Natalia
Republic of Texas/Moscow, Russia
http://www.davidandnataliafunk.org/
http://www.russianwomanwiki.net/

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2006, 07:45:01 PM »
dwfunk,

A website that's been a great help in educating me is the one maintained by the Orthodox Church in America. Here is a link to the section devoted to frequently asked question on marriage, it should give you some good insight (also browse around, lots of answers to other questions too ;))

http://www.oca.org/QAindex-sacramentmarriage.asp?SID=3
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline Killer-B

• "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2006, 11:32:37 PM »
Quote from: Jet
A website that's been a great help in educating me is the one maintained by the Orthodox Church in America. 
http://www.oca.org/QAindex-sacramentmarriage.asp?SID=3
Great link Jet - Was looking at some of the Q&A and was reviewing the Orthodox with a "non-Orthodox"

There are no "vows" in the Orthodox ritual, as found in other confessions.

Woohoo! Saves having to learn something in Russian that I'd probably screw up! :P Hahaha....

If you have never been baptized, it is also best to speak directly with the priest. Orthodox Christians may be married in an Orthodox ceremony to a non-Orthodox Christian provided the non-Orthodox party had been baptized with water and "in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit." Orthodox Christians may not be married in an Orthodox ceremony to non-baptized individuals, however.

Wonder what the deal is if you've been baptized in an non-Catholic/Non-Orthodox manner is then? (Get "re-baptized"?)
"The best revenge, is to live a great life..."

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2006, 05:34:09 AM »
You should rent the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". Most of your questions about Orthodox baptism will be answered there.

It's a pretty funny movie and takes a few pokes at the conventional wisdom of marriage, but if you are here, odds are you are about to do something pretty  unconventional anyway.

Offline Killer-B

• "Screw you guys, I'm going home!"
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2006, 06:18:03 AM »
Quote from: jb
but if you are here, odds are you are about to do something pretty  unconventional anyway.

Ya think? :shock: Yup - Seems that's the way the ball is rolling ;)
"The best revenge, is to live a great life..."

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2006, 09:38:41 AM »
[size="4"]"Where did you get married?"
[color="blue"]
An interesting question as we renew our vows every other year someplace new and different.

The first time was in the Bahamas

The second was on the Big Island of Hawaii

This year will be our third time and we are heading off the Japan for a traditional wedding which should be a lot of fun.[/color]  

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4109047&a=30634421&f=0
[/size]
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 09:38:00 AM by TigerPaws »

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2006, 01:46:11 PM »
Tigerpaws.   Some people who get married get divorced before they get married again.  I am glad you did not do that.    Humm, third time.  You know what they say about the third time being a charm.

Offline planner

• Spouse's Country: Latvia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 06:41:17 PM »
We considered an Orthodox wedding after a Protestant wedding, just didn't work out that way.  Had the wedding in a bed and breakfast where I was friends with the previous owner as a child.  Invited family and close friends.  The fiance and son arrived March 25 and we were married April 2.  April 1 was more convenient, but, I just couldn't do it.  Then to the beach for a small meal with immediate family.  Then down the coast to a nice hotel overlooking the Pacific ocean for a few days.  Whale watching boat trip, good food, lighthouse tour, fresh oysters, good wine, you know, all the things your supposed to do.  Hey, that means I had better get on the ball and find a wedding anniversary present, two years. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 06:42:00 PM by planner »

Offline Captmonk1

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2006, 08:15:10 PM »
My wife and I were married here in Memphis with a decent sized wedding at a really cool wedding chapel. None of Katerina's family or friends from Russia came to the wedding so I tried my best to bring as much Russian flavor into it as I could, including bringing in some new Russian friends.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2324
Total: 2334

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:06:00 AM