It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Age of Cell Phone Apps  (Read 7657 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
The Age of Cell Phone Apps
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
Most of the men on RWD are in their forties or older.  Most of the women on RWD are in their thirties or older.  But I think that we have to be prepared to embrace technology that is trickling up to those age groups from the younger generation.

I now am a member of Instagram, Viber and SnapChat.  The number of Apps that I use from my smartphone is growing each day.  Sometimes, when I am waiting for a meeting I can check my phone to see the latest prose our our forum.

Are we now needing a phone app that would run RWD?  Would people use such a phone app, for reading, if not for posting?  How about keeping up on Chat?

I hope that as time goes on we will be able to interest a new generation of RWD users.  To do that almost mandates that we have some form of App for iPhones and for Android.

What are your thoughts?
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Steamer

• Trips: 4 - 10
Re: The Age of Cell Phone Apps
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 09:15:42 AM »
That makes good sense. Is it difficult to do?
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline jone

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »
There are 'canned' app programs that interface.  The more 'canned' they are, the less functionality they have.    But I now respond directly to people through my cell phone approximately 30% of the time without a computer or tablet.  That percentage is increasing daily.

My inquiry is whether people are interested and whether such apps will degrade or improve the service.  My own opinion is that such an app driven program could launch our forum and increase our usage.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Slumba

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »
I would welcome the following improvements

1. Ability to use chat on my Android phone - the page will load and will work, but the interface ends up being very clunky as the web page does not resize / reflow.

2. A more mobile-friendly template for the main site - again, it basically looks like the desktop version of the site, but do to the screen size it will reflow oddly.

You can look at the "Twitter Bootstrap" based web themes, to see how they handle everything from big full-HD screens on desktops, to mobile-friendliness, on the same page.
Me gusta ir de compras con mi tarjeta verde...

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »
I almost always use a laptop to read, post, and chat. It's much easier to use than my phone, especially when posting and chatting.  The only times I use my phone for the forum are when I'm out someplace without my laptop, and then I only read the forum.

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
I would quit the forum if required to access it via an app. In my opinion, apps require too many personally invasive permissions. I try to avoid their use as much as possible. Right now, I am posting via a combination of VPN and private proxy, feeling rather exposed if I have to access the internet with no identity-obfuscating interfaces.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 01:51:55 PM »
jone
IMHO, any app or gadget that keeps you from interacting directly with folks isn't good for you. I'm not totally oblivious to new technology and gadgets. I have a smartphone with a number of apps I find convenient but rarely use any of them. I really detest people that stare at their phone all day everyday. If there was an RWD app, I seriously doubt I would ever use it. I like my RWD right where it is, on my computer when I get ready for it. Yeah I suppose I'm old fashion but I can live with it. I don't care what gets posted from one visit to the next. Are you afraid you'll miss something, what?

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
Most of the men on RWD are in their forties or older.

Tick.

I now am a member of Instagram, Viber and SnapChat.

Huh?  Translation for the old fogies, please...

The number of Apps that I use from my smartphone is growing each day.

What's a smartphone?  I quite like mine being stupid - that way I have only myself to blame if I dial the wrong number.  And what the hell are "Apps?"

Sometimes, when I am waiting for a meeting I can check my phone to see the latest prose our our forum.

Here's a radical idea for you - why not use the phone to ring someone and talk to them?

On a more serious note, I think you might have a good point.  Although people may not necessarily use it, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it available.  Although I only access RWD from my computer (like Larry and Faux Pas), I'm well aware that there are already hundreds of thousands of apps out there covering everything from A to ZZZZZZZZ.  Would one more really hurt?  ;D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2201
Total: 2210

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM