It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Canadian man engaged to a Russian women, does the marriage have to take place in  (Read 13404 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Since a number of Canadians are scared by an idea to get married upfront, just an idea. Why don't sign with the bride some kind of a cohabitation contract in both languages, outlining mutual rights and responsibilities, to get it notarized, and then to apply for a visa as a common law partner with it?

Common law partners must have been living together for at least 12 months (continuously).

Here are the required forms -

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM1344E.pdf
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5491E.pdf

They are fairly self explanatory.

Sous, you don't have to marry in Moscow.  You do have to provide a copy of your marriage certificate, and proof of divorce, if you were married previously.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Sous02

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
The general sense I get is that I do not have to get married in Moscow but I do have to go there or Vladivostok to go get the proper paperwork and then I can go to her local zags office. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks everyone for your help. You folks are great

Offline Boethius

No, you can do most of the paperwork in Canada.  You will have to go to Vladivostok to marry, or have your fiancee visit Canada, and marry in Canada.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
The general sense I get is that I do not have to get married in Moscow but I do have to go there or Vladivostok to go get the proper paperwork and then I can go to her local zags office.

You do not need to get married in Moscow. The only paperwork you need to get done in Moscow according to the Canadian government site you provided is the "Declaration of non-impediment to marriage".

The Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Toronto, Canada site that I linked says "A document issued in Canada not legalized by the Russian Embassy or the Consulate in Canada (translation into Russian is not enough) will not be accepted by Russian ZAGS (marriage office). It will be impossible to have a document issued in Canada legalized in Russia."

The site you provided said documents issued in Canada must be legalized in Canada.  Getting things notarized may not be enough. You will have to deal with the Russian Consulate in Canada though.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 10:05:46 AM by AnonMod »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
You documents from Canada will need to be apostiled. There is a certain process you need to follow.
You can get your documents translated in Russia, certified and notarized.

You need to get permission from the Ministry of Justice in Russia.

Each ZAGS has their own special instructions, so you need to find the correct one. There is usually a 31 day wait from the time you fill out the marriage application until the time ZAGS will perform the ceremony. You can usually bribe them for get a quicker date.

You can get married anyplace in Russia, but it would be easier to marry at her home town.

After you are married, it is recorded in each person's passport. You can get a different type of visa to enter Russia in the future.

Offline Sous02

What would happen if my fiancé and her son came on a visitors visa to Canada and we got married in Canada. With the intention that she return to Russia after her visitor visa ended and then I applied to have her come back through the regular channels?

Offline Noch1

• Trips: 4 - 10
What would happen if my fiancé and her son came on a visitors visa to Canada and we got married in Canada. With the intention that she return to Russia after her visitor visa ended and then I applied to have her come back through the regular channels?
It is how I did it, was quite simple, She needs to bring proof of divorce
if she had one, passport and fill out the forms.
Quite easy. Then make copies of everything for permanent residence visa.
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline Donhollio

Did you call CIC yet?

You documents from Canada will need to be apostiled.

Where did this information come from? Is this something Russia demands? I've never heard of it being required in the FSU

Offline Fashionista

Where did this information come from? Is this something Russia demands? I've never heard of it being required in the FSU

Canada isn't a part of Apostille convention. It simply can't be done.
Find your inner Bart!

Offline Fashionista

She may have difficulties proving that she will return back after getting married in Canada. Particularly if her son is travelling with her. You can try.
Find your inner Bart!

Offline Sous02

She has property, a family and I don't think her son would come but he would only be 1 of two sons.
Just seems easier than flying to Vladivostok or Moscow and then to her home in the east.

Offline Fashionista

Easier? I don't know, for you maybe... I remember how I was grilled at the interview after I traveled to Moscow. Spent an entire week to go both ways. They kinda assumed that I would do anything to get into Canada. I don't think that attitude has changed. It didn't feel easy at all, pretty insulting too.  Mind you, that was when I was already married.

I also saw a girl there who was denied a visa. She was hysterical. Not so easy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:38:06 PM by Fashionista »
Find your inner Bart!

Offline Sous02

Sorry did not realize. You had to travel to Moscow to get a visitors visa? Sometimes this all sounds so discouraging.

Offline Fashionista

Sorry did not realize. You had to travel to Moscow to get a visitors visa? Sometimes this all sounds so discouraging.

They schedule an interview, and you have to show up. I seriously doubt they will give a visa without an interview.

That's the process:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/apply-after.asp

She may need to pass a medical and apply for a police certificate.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:52:10 PM by Fashionista »
Find your inner Bart!

Offline Sous02

That was actually a little more encouraging. She is a very credible person with strong connections to Russia. A good job and well settled. I hope I live in a country that accepts visitors like her.
Thank you so much for your advice.

Offline Sous02

When applying for a visa to visit me in Canada do they airline tickets have to be purchased in advance or will the dates of travel be good enough. Paying for a ticket only to be refused entry seems rough.

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10
When applying for a visa to visit me in Canada do they airline tickets have to be purchased in advance or will the dates of travel be good enough. Paying for a ticket only to be refused entry seems rough.

It's not recommended for those trying to get a visa to America. Unless you are directed to by your consulate, I wouldn't buy the tickets since there is no guarantee your lady will get a visa to enter Canada. Give them what they ask for.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Noch1

• Trips: 4 - 10
There are a few factors that can make a difference.
First, what does her passport look like? has she travelled anywhere?
IE: Europe, US, Etc before? If not it lowers her odds.
Some of the other factors will be, connections to home ( she must be able to prove these) Money to support this trip, etc. How long have you known each other?
How many trips have you made to meet her, family and or friends.
Do you have any proof of this?

I will explain my storey briefly, keep in mind it was with women from Ukraine.
I have done this twice, once with girl I met and with my wife now.
I had been there too visit and on second visit, I had all documents prepared.
We went to Canadian embassy and dropped of documents together.
 I did do invitation letter.
I kept it simple and to the point, with information and facts.
I did not buy plane tickets in advance, I gave approximate travel dates,
that I would provide return ticket, proper travel insurance, place to stay and all
required for the visit. Along with some personal facts of our relationship.
First time, they sent 6 month travel visa, no questions asked.
2nd time, the sent an email, requesting some photos, I managed to call and speak to someone. Said listen, I am in _________ Apartment now, Pictures are home in Canada, can send when I get back, but if you would like we can both come in and meet you, as we are only an hour away. 3 days later we had visa. Did not need to go to embassy.

This is how I did it and it worked, simple, honest and straight forward.
This does not mean it will work for you.  Check as much info as you can, make sure
all is done correct and decide how you will proceed.

Edit, I should add, in both cases, after the first visa, reapplied, and both received
8 year visitor visa's.
Common sense, Is not so common!

Offline Donhollio

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2260
Total: 2271

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM