It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russian citizenship for a child born in the UK  (Read 4897 times)

Offline Jazzyclassy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Russian citizenship for a child born in the UK
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:27:42 PM »
Hi to everybody!

I have a question regarding Russian passport for a child whose mother is russian and father is british, maybe someone already done this and can tell for how long do the Embassy consider the application for it?

Offline acctBill

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Russian citizenship for a child born in the UK
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »
Jazzyclassy, can't help you on this issue.  My wife is Russian and I'm British but we decided not to register our children for Russian citizenship.  My wife was strongly against the idea, as she put it, of having our children obligated to the Russian state.  Our oldest was born before the era of Putin and his cronies but even then she regarded the Kremlin leadership as nothing more than "bandits".  

Our children have been in and out of Russia on UK passports with no problems, our oldest having made over a dozen trips.  I know a number of FSU citizens not registering their children for FSU citizenship, it is not uncommon in the UK or EU.  Some FSU citizens just don't want their children to have ties to the FSU.

Despite their lack of Russian citizenship our children speak Russian and our oldest is capable of speaking and reading Russian at the same level as her Russian relatives of the same age, all thanks to my wife's efforts to maintain their Russian heritage.  

Jazzyclassy, sorry more than a little off topic, but it is an option for other parents facing the same issue.  

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:34:21 PM by acctBill »

Offline Ranetka

• Back to Earth from Cloud Nine
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 06:41:28 PM »
Hi to everybody!

I have a question regarding Russian passport for a child whose mother is russian and father is british, maybe someone already done this and can tell for how long do the Embassy consider the application for it?

Consulate website quotes one month. Friend says their child got registered in three weeks but it was over a year ago.
There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:18:28 AM »
Jazzyclassy, can't help you on this issue.  My wife is Russian and I'm British but we decided not to register our children for Russian citizenship.  My wife was strongly against the idea, as she put it, of having our children obligated to the Russian state.  Our oldest was born before the era of Putin and his cronies but even then she regarded the Kremlin leadership as nothing more than "bandits".  

Our children have been in and out of Russia on UK passports with no problems, our oldest having made over a dozen trips.  I know a number of FSU citizens not registering their children for FSU citizenship, it is not uncommon in the UK or EU.  Some FSU citizens just don't want their children to have ties to the FSU.

Despite their lack of Russian citizenship our children speak Russian and our oldest is capable of speaking and reading Russian at the same level as her Russian relatives of the same age, all thanks to my wife's efforts to maintain their Russian heritage.  

Jazzyclassy, sorry more than a little off topic, but it is an option for other parents facing the same issue.  

Oh Ok thanks:) I have a bit different view on this topic:) Though nice to know that your children have been able to visit Russia without any problem, were they traveling on family visa or tourist visa all the time? As I am sure you must know after certain tourist visas they can deny  issuing another one if  they  have a short  gap between trips.

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
Consulate website quotes one month. Friend says their child got registered in three weeks but it was over a year ago.
Thank you , so it can be done in three weeks:) Good, good:)

Offline Shadow

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:45:56 AM »
In Belgium it took about one month for the first guy.
However before going to the Embassy be sure that you have all paperwork in order, such as a legally translated international birth certificate, the forms of permission and passport of the father and whatever other requirements you will find on the website of the Embassy.

The Ruccian Embassy or consulate has no trouble in sending people back if they do not do their homework properly, but are very friendly and helpful if they notice you are prepared.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:55:32 AM »
In Belgium it took about one month for the first guy.
However before going to the Embassy be sure that you have all paperwork in order, such as a legally translated international birth certificate, the forms of permission and passport of the father and whatever other requirements you will find on the website of the Embassy.

The Ruccian Embassy or consulate has no trouble in sending people back if they do not do their homework properly, but are very friendly and helpful if they notice you are prepared.
Thank you:) Yeah I know what you mean, we almost done with paperwork, left only to  print the application and the letter of permission by the father. I am just worried  I think it wont be only 1 month as how they claim,would be nice to visit my family in Moscow rather soon and with all our passports being in the embassy soon , it will be hard to tell when we can travel to Moscow .

Offline acctBill

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
Oh Ok thanks:) I have a bit different view on this topic:) Though nice to know that your children have been able to visit Russia without any problem, were they traveling on family visa or tourist visa all the time? As I am sure you must know after certain tourist visas they can deny  issuing another one if  they  have a short  gap between trips.

Jazzyclassy never had a problem with any visa, other than the usual mistakes.  The only time the short gap between trips was even mentioned was when my FIL died less than 2 weeks after we returned home from a trip to Moscow.  I explained the reason for the short gap, visa approved.  As for the type of visa, we use the visa that works for the situation.

Offline Jazzyclassy

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 03:24:59 AM »
I see, thank you again:)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0