It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: bringing her stuff to USA  (Read 2480 times)

Offline bgreed

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
bringing her stuff to USA
« on: April 12, 2007, 07:08:16 PM »
For those of you who have made the huge accomplishment of bringin your lady to the US.  How did you mange to ship all of her belongings.  I don't mean furniture and the like but clothes, momentos and the like.  Also I will be shipping for three Elena, her son and our new arrival who will be here about the same time as her interview date.

We also are trying to figure out how best to spend my limited travel dollars and time.  As I would like to be there for the babies arrival yet her interview date and likely approval and then packing everything up to come to the US trying to travel with two kids. (Her son is a very helpful boy but only seven)  So do I go for the babies arrival and let her make the flight here alone with two kids (one really new!!) Or do I miss the birth of my child and fly over to fly them back any thoughts???

Offline acrzybear

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: bringing her stuff to USA
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 07:23:13 PM »
Tough decisions

It would be awesome to see the birth of your child, but being practical (like that means anything when dealing with a pregnant woman) I would go with coming back with her and the two children.

The reason I would choose the route is she will have her hands full with the new baby and her 7 year old son, plus throw in moving halfway across the world to a new country (how are her English skills).  I just think it would make life a bit easier on her if you ran interference with the children since it will be a particularly stressful situation.
Necessitas dat ingenium

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 07:32:02 PM »
My wife arrived with two suitcases, everything else was bought here.  I think that's typical.

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 09:06:32 PM »
Tough decisions

It would be awesome to see the birth of your child, but being practical (like that means anything when dealing with a pregnant woman) I would go with coming back with her and the two children.

The reason I would choose the route is she will have her hands full with the new baby and her 7 year old son, plus throw in moving halfway across the world to a new country (how are her English skills).  I just think it would make life a bit easier on her if you ran interference with the children since it will be a particularly stressful situation.
Agreed! According to my wife, in Russian culture the father does not play nearly as active a role in the delivery of the baby as he would in the west. It's much more like America in the 50s, with expectant fathers pretty much hanging out waiting until the hospital staff give the "all clear" at some point after the fact.

I went to the interview in Moscow with my wife and even though I was just there for moral support, it was greatly appreciated. It also makes her first entry into the US a potentially much smoother experience, again my presence at the POE was greatly appreciated.

As far as "stuff", I went over with the bare minimum essentials so as to be able to fill 2 more suitcases on the way back. We had 4 50lb bags and 2 carry-ons. Lil goes back about every 6 months so she just brings a little each time of the non essential niceties that she left behind on her first trip to USA. 
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline MaxxumUSA

• Back in the game!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 01:35:11 AM »
As far as "stuff", I went over with the bare minimum essentials so as to be able to fill 2 more suitcases on the way back. We had 4 50lb bags and 2 carry-ons. Lil goes back about every 6 months so she just brings a little each time of the non essential niceties that she left behind on her first trip to USA. 

As for whether to be there for the birth, it would be great to be there and also travel with both.  If you have financial constraints then I am unsure how to advise you 100%.  I think I would rather accompany on her trip than hold her hand while she screams in pain.  ;)  Especially since this is her second child and she should not be terribly fearful of giving birth.  Of course she may have other ideas.

Jet...

Great idea about the baggage and packing light.  I think this is what I will do.  I will come with a couple days of clothes, and two large suitcases one stacked inside the other.
Back to having fun in life!

Offline Globetrotter

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 04:05:54 AM »
If it's lots of stuff that suitcases won't handle, give a call to an international freight forwarder.  Ask about "standby freight rates" which are about one tenth that of normal air freight rates...something like $0.60 per pound as opposed to $6/pound.  OK, you don't know if the goods will arrive on Monday or Thursday, but who cares.  Freight travels on commercial passenger planes, and if the plane isn't full of passengers, the weight is available for freight. 

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 04:23:51 AM »
I've read something here before about a fairly cheap shipping company called Mest or Meest or something like that if you have big stuff that would not fit in a suitcase. Other than that you either just buy it here or bring it back a bit at a time in the future like has been mentioned already.

Congratulations on the new baby! Sorry it has to be a "one or the other" situation. But if it is down to that then I also agree that the best would to come back with her and the kids.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline BC

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 04:46:13 AM »
bgreed,

Regarding shipping, the best route is usually checking with the airline for their excess accompanied baggage rates. Will usually be cheaper than an independent shipper.  You can usually negotiate a bit and maybe get a better airfreight tariff on the same flight if you are talking a considerable overage.  On some airlines you can still 'talk your way through' with a considerable amount of excess.. When my wife, daughter and infant son last travelled they got by with 97 KG for free when they were only allowed 40 KG.  Thanks Alitalia!  Be nice to the check in folks and you might get lucky.

Regarding birth of your baby, my wife was quite surprised that the hospital here allowed me to be in the OP (I did give her the choice).  I would check and consider this in your decision as there is not that much difference between being in a bare waiting room and half a world apart.. you'll still be sweating it out.

Yep.. tough choices are a part of the bed we make..

Good luck!

Offline philb

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 06:33:50 AM »
bgreed,

Regarding shipping, the best route is usually checking with the airline for their excess accompanied baggage rates. Will usually be cheaper than an independent shipper.  You can usually negotiate a bit and maybe get a better airfreight tariff on the same flight if you are talking a considerable overage.  On some airlines you can still 'talk your way through' with a considerable amount of excess..

This was my wife's experience too.  We paid extra for her dog and an additional suitcase, but the weight overage on the allowed luggage wasn't even mentioned and this was by far the least expensive route.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541375
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 1369
Most Online Ever: 12701