Forum > Ukrainian Front Discussion

Could now be a good time to buy in Kyiv?

(1/4) > >>

Trenchcoat:
This may sound like madness but could now (or in the near future/next few years) be the best time to buy property in Kyiv?

Basically I am assuming that the market for property in Ukraine has been impacted by the war. I personally don't really know a great deal what it was like in many areas before and during the war, but I am going to guess it is less now and that property nearest the front hardest hit.

One line of economic thought is that while the crowd moves one way you move the other way, often the seemingly riskiest way. Hence the risky way is not always as risky as some think (though sometimes it is it you get unlucky and lose out) and you gain while others seek seemingly assured safety for a short time and do not so well.

So possibly a good time to buy with the war putting off buyers, particularly from abroad? The outlook for the economy in Ukraine is not so rosy of course and so if not quite at the moment economic issues in Ukraine are likely to stunt Ukrainians ability to purchase property while foreigners mostly tend to stay away due to the war.

Here is a potential apartment at the edge of the historic Podil district in Ukraine near the City centre in Kyiv:

http://realting.com/property-for-sale/ukraine/dmd-consulting/1872483#lg=1&slide=2

That to me looks a lovely area and puts any buyer at the heart of Ukrainian high society I would have thought.

So a good buy?

ML:
Not a time to buy any properties in or near larger cities in Ukraine.

Never too far from my mind are the two condos wife owns in Kyiv.
One is in second building over from new US Consulate, so  I  think Russians will try to avoid damaging it.

Perhaps OK to  buy in and around  smaller communities.  Wife also has one property there that produces income from crops (she leases it out) and will inherit two more parcels, one with decent house and the other producing crops.  But even there an errant bomb  fell nearby.

Even there, the lack of a bombing is not certain, but probabilities smaller

The pickings for gals would be smaller, but so would be the competion.

Bonus points available because many of the gals can milk cows, gather eggs, grow and can vegetables, fruits, etc.

Trenchcoat:
My further thoughts on the above apartment, too many I see in Ukraine is that while some can be nice I am not so sure they make the best use of space. Often like the apartment above I see the bed and the lounge located together in the same room lol. I think in the above example a partition studwork wall could easily be erected approximately where the start of the bed is so you're not having to have your bed present while entertaining guests :ROFL:

I think some natural light could still be transmitted into the lounge by either internal glazing at the top of the erected studwork wall and/or on top of the doorway through or a glazed but frosted door or just an archway through. Generally the ceiling light would be more in use in the lounge as a result but still better than having a bed present in the lounge I feel, I am not sure why Ukrainian go for that look?

Another alteration could be the kitchen. It's quite a big kitchen dining room and I think that could be cut down again with a studwork wall in between to potentially form another bedroom at the window end if the layout meant you could insert a doorway potentially into the living room through the wall. I'm not sure why such a large kitchen is needed and light for a kitchen can just be a ceiling light as no one spends their life in the kitchen, even the wife needs to be unchained at some point ;D

Lastly there is the lobby area, I can't tell for sure the layout of the place but again where space is limited a large lobby area or any lobby area can be wasted space. I get that it can be nice to have an area to greet guests, out on shoes, etc but I think it's a unnecessary luxury where space is limited in such a flat. If it's possible to knock a lobby wall down to have a larger lounge that you walk into off the front door then that is a better idea I think. The more space for sofas & seating the better I think.

I for one find Ukrainian ideas on use of space in apartments peculiar. I get that it's supposed to be a flat for one person or a couple at present configuration but I just think even for that the flat could be a whole lot more useful space wise if divided up differently. After all an extra spare bedroom as a study or guest bedroom or for a lodger for rental income can always be handy I think.

Trenchcoat:

--- Quote from: ML on November 25, 2023, 07:12:58 AM ---Not a time to buy any properties in or near larger cities in Ukraine.

Never too far from my mind are the two condos wife owns in Kyiv.
One is in second building over from new US Consulate, so  I  think Russians will try to avoid damaging it.

Perhaps OK to  buy in and around  smaller communities.  Wife also has one property there that produces income from crops (she leases it out) and will inherit two more parcels, one with decent house and the other producing crops.  But even there an errant bomb  fell nearby.

Even there, the lack of a bombing is not certain, but probabilities smaller

The pickings for gals would be smaller, but so would be the competion.

Bonus points available because many of the gals can milk cows, gather eggs, grow and can vegetables, fruits, etc.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info ML, what happens if a bomb wipes out your apartment? Do you still own the airspace but not the building?

Well for me it's looking like I won't need it for girl hunting myself. I kind of like the Ukrainian lifestyle so it may well be a place to rent and/or stopover in myself for periods of time. A bit uncertain at the moment so just scouting out the idea in my mind.

The idea of having a bed and lounge all in one still ammuses me. I've heard on here before that FSU people just get it on in bed while either everyone else looks on or they watch TV. I never believed it until seeing their apartments for sale.

Trenchcoat:

--- Quote from: ML on November 25, 2023, 07:12:58 AM ---Never too far from my mind are the two condos wife owns in Kyiv.

--- End quote ---

Just found this article on compensation for bombed out property in Ukraine. Hopefully it won't be needed by your wife ML but just in case:

http://visitukraine.today/blog/575/compensation-for-housing-destroyed-due-to-the-war-how-it-will-work-in-ukraine

No actual sums set or probably any payments made to date but who knows. I would wonder though if the Ukraine government will try to avoid payouts when it comes to it :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version