It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Protecting Russian Speakers in Brooklyn  (Read 8774 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Protecting Russian Speakers in Brooklyn
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 08:33:53 AM »
At one point, one tribe, being encouraged to convert to Orthodoxy, built a huge pyre and members of the tribe, women and children first, started walking into the fire, to the horror of the priest there to convert them.  When reports reached the Tsar, he ordered that there be no further conversions of conquered peoples.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 08:37:50 AM »
The Dutch influence on American culture is much larger as some might expect.
For instance the word "Yankee" is of Dutch origin, and the celebration of Santa Claus, though the date has changed.

Local icon to weigh anchor
Replica ship finds home port in the Netherlands; "A terrible loss for us"

(I used to work at the building on the far left on one of the corner offices.)

Taking the reverse tack of its famed namesake, the replica ship Half Moon will make a historic journey to the Netherlands — for good.

The board of directors of the New Netherland Museum on Tuesday said that the ship, which has suffered from financial difficulties and the lack of a home port, will be moved to the Dutch city of Hoorn in 2015.

The Hoorn City Council voted earlier Tuesday to adopt the Half Moon, a venerable symbol of the Capital Region's ties to its European past.

"It would be a shame to see what has become a great Hudson River tradition leave North America," said retired Albany assemblyman and historian Jack McEneney.

The Albany-based New Netherland Museum said it will retain ownership of the Half Moon. It was not clear how the vessel will cross the Atlantic Ocean and when it will depart. The value of the deal and details of the agreement were unavailable on Tuesday night.

Artist Len Tantillo of Schodack, who captured the Half Moon on canvas, said it evoked New York's roots.

"It's really a terrible loss for us. Unfortunately, the Half Moon ship is of much greater significance to the people of New York state than the Half Moon ship is to the people of Hoorn," Tantillo said. "It's a generic vessel for them. For us, it's a very specific vessel."

The Half Moon will be part of a 17th-century historic site managed by the Westfries Museum in Hoorn, a city of 70,000 people with a strong maritime history north of Amsterdam on what used to be called the Zuider Zee.

"Like the original Half Moon, our replica has had many captains over the years," said a New Netherland Museum official. "We would particularly like to thank William T. "Chip" Reynolds for his leadership role with the Half Moon. Chip developed many innovative educational programs during his tenure with ship."

Earlier this year, Reynolds expressed concern that there hadn't been a serious recognition that the ship needed a permanent facility. When it traveled to the Albany area, a temporary dock and landing facility had be built, adding to expenses, he said, calling the Half Moon "financially unsustainable."

"From the moment the keel of the Half Moon was laid, it has been my ambition to see the Half Moon sail in Dutch waters," Andrew A. Hendricks, founder and chairman of the New Netherland Museum/Half Moon Replica, said in the announcement. "After 25 years of service as the unofficial flagship of the state of New York, the Half Moon will have the opportunity to sail in the Netherlands. A new worldwide public will have the chance to appreciate the ship. The Half Moon will highlight the Dutch Golden Age and its accomplishments."

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Half-Moon-replica-to-be-based-in-Dutch-city-5961546.php

In line with the original post I would like to remark that those names " American Natives" actually descended from Russians, and there for Russians are the original inhabitants of America. There for the British, French and Spanish invaders should be stopped and the coutry returned to Russia, where it belongs. As Alaska was sold and is too cold anyway, the current inhabitants of the USA will be offered refuge there.

Good try but fail. I agree with Boe and Gator.

Just like saying that people conquered by Americans are Americans. Last I looked, they are still called Hawaiians, Filipinos, Puertoricans, Apaches, etc.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 08:47:50 AM »

Just like saying that people conquered by Americans are Americans. Last I looked, they are still called Hawaiians, Filipinos, Puertoricans, Apaches, etc.

Agree, my ancestors were conquered by Yankees and we are still callled rednecks.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »
At one point, one tribe, being encouraged to convert to Orthodoxy, built a huge pyre and members of the tribe, women and children first, started walking into the fire, to the horror of the priest there to convert them.  When reports reached the Tsar, he ordered that there be no further conversions of conquered peoples.
I guess the priest failed at explaining ´hell´. He should have tried to predict Putin.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Shadow

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2014, 08:50:58 AM »

In a recent radio show I heard that the ship will actually be returned after 2 years.
Unless the locals here sink it first.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 09:01:41 AM »
Agree, my ancestors were conquered by Yankees and we are still callled rednecks.

LMAO
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Muzh

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 09:02:52 AM »
In a recent radio show I heard that the ship will actually be returned after 2 years.
Unless the locals here sink it first.

That's news to us. Really.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 09:24:42 AM »
As Alaska was sold and is too cold anyway,

LOL That's a rumor we started to keep out the low life riff raff.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 09:31:56 AM »

That's news to us. Really.
I overheard it by accident. The local citizns of the municipality that has acquired the Half Moon were not very happy that a "fake replica" of the ship is arriving, and mentioned that it was not as the municipality originally announced a final deal, but a relative short lease.
Locals fear that the ship will not attract enough people to cover the cost, and the result will be a raise of local city taxes.
Some even suggested to separate from the Netherlands and seek a better country that would allow them to pay less taxes.
At our average 35% taxes (70% for the rich citizens) that got a lot of support.

Offline jone

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »

Local icon to weigh anchor
Replica ship finds home port in the Netherlands; "A terrible loss for us"

(I used to work at the building on the far left on one of the corner offices.)

Taking the reverse tack of its famed namesake, the replica ship Half Moon will make a historic journey to the Netherlands — for good.

The board of directors of the New Netherland Museum on Tuesday said that the ship, which has suffered from financial difficulties and the lack of a home port, will be moved to the Dutch city of Hoorn in 2015.

The Hoorn City Council voted earlier Tuesday to adopt the Half Moon, a venerable symbol of the Capital Region's ties to its European past.

"It would be a shame to see what has become a great Hudson River tradition leave North America," said retired Albany assemblyman and historian Jack McEneney.

The Albany-based New Netherland Museum said it will retain ownership of the Half Moon. It was not clear how the vessel will cross the Atlantic Ocean and when it will depart. The value of the deal and details of the agreement were unavailable on Tuesday night.

Artist Len Tantillo of Schodack, who captured the Half Moon on canvas, said it evoked New York's roots.

"It's really a terrible loss for us. Unfortunately, the Half Moon ship is of much greater significance to the people of New York state than the Half Moon ship is to the people of Hoorn," Tantillo said. "It's a generic vessel for them. For us, it's a very specific vessel."

The Half Moon will be part of a 17th-century historic site managed by the Westfries Museum in Hoorn, a city of 70,000 people with a strong maritime history north of Amsterdam on what used to be called the Zuider Zee.

"Like the original Half Moon, our replica has had many captains over the years," said a New Netherland Museum official. "We would particularly like to thank William T. "Chip" Reynolds for his leadership role with the Half Moon. Chip developed many innovative educational programs during his tenure with ship."

Earlier this year, Reynolds expressed concern that there hadn't been a serious recognition that the ship needed a permanent facility. When it traveled to the Albany area, a temporary dock and landing facility had be built, adding to expenses, he said, calling the Half Moon "financially unsustainable."

"From the moment the keel of the Half Moon was laid, it has been my ambition to see the Half Moon sail in Dutch waters," Andrew A. Hendricks, founder and chairman of the New Netherland Museum/Half Moon Replica, said in the announcement. "After 25 years of service as the unofficial flagship of the state of New York, the Half Moon will have the opportunity to sail in the Netherlands. A new worldwide public will have the chance to appreciate the ship. The Half Moon will highlight the Dutch Golden Age and its accomplishments."

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Half-Moon-replica-to-be-based-in-Dutch-city-5961546.php

Good try but fail. I agree with Boe and Gator.

Muzh,

You forgot those high-end contributors who now dominate Miami and parts of NYC.  I think they call them Cubanos.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Muzh

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
Muzh,

You forgot those high-end contributors who now dominate Miami and parts of NYC.  I think they call them Cubanos.

Oops, my bad.  ;D

Offline jone

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 11:59:45 AM »
I think its because they vote Republican.   8) 8)
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 05:49:02 PM »
Incidentally, based on some carbon dating of skulls, first of one found in the Pacific Northwest, then on the East Coast of the US, and finally, one found near Mexico City, there is a theory the first North American settlers were Caucasian, and originated in Europe, not Asia.  The theory is still controversial.

Here is one report -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/9110838/Stone-age-Europeans-were-the-first-to-set-foot-on-North-America.html

That article, interesting as it is, was written in February 2012.  Have you seen anything more recent that might update their findings or conclusions?

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 06:52:53 PM »
There have been at least two other skulls found (as I noted).  There is no consensus on their origin.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Shadow

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 05:47:08 AM »
That article, interesting as it is, was written in February 2012.  Have you seen anything more recent that might update their findings or conclusions?
I recently saw a documentary named the Fintstones. ;D

On a more serious note, I believe the flooding of the Black Sea might have scattered some early civilizations around the planet.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 05:34:05 PM »
On a more serious note, I believe the flooding of the Black Sea might have scattered some early civilizations around the planet.

Those that weren't drowned would not, I imagine, have got very far - high ground in present-day Turkey, Romania and Greece would surely have been the limit.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2014, 03:26:15 AM »
Those that weren't drowned would not, I imagine, have got very far - high ground in present-day Turkey, Romania and Greece would surely have been the limit.
There are indications that they spread to all sides, and may have inspired the early civilizations we know.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2467
Total: 2477

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Yesterday at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
April 23, 2024, 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
April 23, 2024, 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
April 23, 2024, 08:06:00 AM