It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 319824 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #450 on: December 31, 2017, 07:00:31 PM »
New Year Greetings to all !!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #451 on: January 02, 2018, 11:41:56 AM »
We have read a lot about reforms, plans for reforms, and lack of reforms in Ukraine.
I can report on one small aspect based on personal experience.
Ochka has a female cousin, early 40s.
She had made a career in banking.  Very low pay similar to banking salaries in USA (except for commercial loan officers and investment bankers.)
She saw advertisement for Senior Analytical Statistician at a National Government Agency in Kyiv.
So she applied.  The personnel people rather dismissively treated her and told how a written exam would be required for her and for several experienced internal candidates.
Note this is a new procedure in Ukraine as typically jobs and promotions are given based on friendships, family connections, bribes, beauty (for female candidates), young age, etc.
She took the exam and scored 100% and no other candidates came close to this score.
It was not believed, so she was called in for an oral exam which she also aced.
None of this was unexpected by her and her family as she had gotten a Red Diploma at graduation from University.
She got the job (despite her age) at double her banking salary, but still not really very much money.
Anyway, one small indication of some reforms actually taking place in Ukraine.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #452 on: January 02, 2018, 12:09:42 PM »
She took the exam and scored 100% and no other candidates came close to this score.
It was not believed, so she was called in for an oral exam which she also aced.

Good to hear that the oral exams employers give females today are different than those in the past.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #453 on: January 02, 2018, 03:53:02 PM »
THIS news (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42540819 suggests that Ukraine has a way to go ((

Ukraine murder probe over lawyer Nozdrovska's death

"Ukrainian police have opened a murder investigation after the body of a lawyer and human rights activist was found in a river in the capital Kiev.

Iryna Nozdrovska, 38, went missing on 29 December. She had worked on the case of her sister, who was killed in 2015 by a car driven by the nephew of a Kiev judge."

Offline ML

« Reply #454 on: January 02, 2018, 05:23:43 PM »
THIS news (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42540819 suggests that Ukraine has a way to go ((

Ukraine murder probe over lawyer Nozdrovska's death

"Ukrainian police have opened a murder investigation after the body of a lawyer and human rights activist was found in a river in the capital Kiev.

Iryna Nozdrovska, 38, went missing on 29 December. She had worked on the case of her sister, who was killed in 2015 by a car driven by the nephew of a Kiev judge."

Yes, that event totally disgusts me.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #455 on: January 02, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »
Both Ukraine and Russia are still controlled, both politically and economically, by the former Soviet nomenklatura.  These are largely sociopaths.  So, no surprises at extra judicial killings in either country, and no systemic mechanisms for punishing powerful people who abuse their positions.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline whynotme

« Reply #456 on: January 02, 2018, 07:56:32 PM »
Both Ukraine and Russia are still controlled, both politically and economically, by the former Soviet nomenklatura.  These are largely sociopaths.  So, no surprises at extra judicial killings in either country, and no systemic mechanisms for punishing powerful people who abuse their positions.

The former Soviet nomenklatura is retired or died long ago. And only the broken record Boethius is repeating the same thing for the last 25 years.  :D

Offline Boethius

« Reply #457 on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
No they're not.  Putin is part of the former nomenklatura.  So is Poroshenko.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #458 on: January 02, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
Sorry, whynotme..I'm with Boethiuis on this one.. (

Offline whynotme

« Reply #459 on: January 02, 2018, 11:52:49 PM »
No they're not.  Putin is part of the former nomenklatura.  So is Poroshenko.

Seems, you have your own definitions for everything  :D I didn't study the biography of Poroshenko, but before 1991 Putin was a modest KGB major who lived in khrushchevka. The Soviet nomenclature were Primakov, Chernomyrdin, Yeltsin ... Putin is another generation, I wouldn't attribute him to the former Soviet nomenclature so unequivocally.

Offline msmob

« Reply #460 on: January 02, 2018, 11:58:12 PM »
Seems, you have your own definitions for everything  :D I didn't study the biography of Poroshenko, but before 1991 Putin was a modest KGB major who lived in khrushchevka. The Soviet nomenclature were Primakov, Chernomyrdin, Yeltsin ... Putin is another generation, I wouldn't attribute him to the former Soviet nomenclature so unequivocally.

I see your point, but Putin was in E.Germany and was humiliated by the fall of the Soviet Union and 'people power'

I believe he very much regrets the fall and is trying to ensure a wave of popular support against a govt cannot over power a Moscow govt. whilst doing 'OK' ( for himself) in the process.. 

If we check his publicly declared  property portfolio he suggests he isn't much better off then he was then.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 02:32:24 AM by msmob »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #461 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:52 AM »
Nomenklatura=members of the CPSU who formed the bureaucratic and governing elite.

Putin, a Lieutenant Colonel of the KGB, was certainly part of the nomenklatura. 

Offline ML

« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2018, 12:19:21 PM »
Went out for Christmas dinner yesterday.

When seated, I said to Ochka:  Merry Christmas.

It took her a few moments to remember the Orthodox Greeting, and the reply I was supposed to say.

What does this indicate ??

Offline msmob

« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2018, 02:28:32 PM »

It took her a few moments to remember the Orthodox Greeting, and the reply I was supposed to say.

The possible list is long and many involve alcohol ;)

Offline Boethius

« Reply #464 on: January 08, 2018, 04:14:21 PM »
It doesn't surprise me, as other than in some parts of Western Ukraine (particularly villages), religious greetings disappeared under the communists.  Religious education, in general was very lacking in the USSR.  So, it may be that Ochka did not grow up with these traditional greetings.

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #465 on: January 08, 2018, 05:34:58 PM »

Hmmmm, Maybe she's not into you??))

Is this first X-mas you said Merry Christmas? This has got to 3-4th Christmas for both of you.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Boethius

« Reply #466 on: January 08, 2018, 06:56:44 PM »
For Ukrainians, a Christmas meal cannot be started without saying "Khristos Razhdayetsya!" (Christ is born!) to which the reply is "Slavite Yoho!" (Glory/Glorify Him!)  That is what ML is referring to. :)

Offline ML

« Reply #467 on: January 08, 2018, 07:08:12 PM »
For Ukrainians, a Christmas meal cannot be started without saying "Khristos Razhdayetsya!" (Christ is born!) to which the reply is "Slavite Yoho!" (Glory/Glorify Him!)  That is what ML is referring to. :)

Yes, these were the two sayings.

And she did know these very well, as her family was practicing Christians, even as it was low key during Soviet times.

Also, she had told me these and what to say in reply every year for the 6 previous Christmases she has been here.

My point was . . . since she had a momentary lapse . . . maybe some indication of her becoming a USA person ??

Also, she is very strident that we get to sporting events in time to hear/sing our national antheum.

She has never vocalized anything about becoming a USA person, but the above gives some hints and she has said she prefers to spend time with USA persons rather than the Ukrainian group here.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #468 on: January 08, 2018, 08:55:20 PM »
She's been immersed in an English speaking culture daily,for serveral years  it usntbunusual to have to occasionally search for a word in the native tongue.

Been through it myself,years asho,
and certainly my wife searches for a Russian word or two occasionally now.

I don't think it indicates becoming a *USA* person,exactly, but does indicate she spends more time with English speakers than with those speaking her native language.

Offline ML

« Reply #469 on: January 09, 2018, 08:34:29 AM »
She's been immersed in an English speaking culture daily,for serveral years  it usntbunusual to have to occasionally search for a word in the native tongue.

Been through it myself,years asho,
and certainly my wife searches for a Russian word or two occasionally now.

I don't think it indicates becoming a *USA* person,exactly, but does indicate she spends more time with English speakers than with those speaking her native language.

Good points.  I thought of that myself late last night.
i.e. Speaking English so much.

I knew of young USA college man who spent time in an East German prison back in cold war period for trying to smuggle out an East German man.  Guards only spoke German, so he had to learn.

Two years or so I think.
Upon his return to USA, he had some trouble remembering English words and spoke with rather heavy German accent for several months.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #470 on: January 09, 2018, 11:28:15 AM »
Everyone is different, but in my experience dealing with total immersion (No English spoken) my pea brain finally adapted to thinking in the *new* language first (not translating it in your mind first) at about 18 months, also start dreaming in the new language,which my wife has also noticed.

In our case my wife has always felt like a western person, so there is transition there as well I suppose but a less distinct line.I honestly can't  think of anything specifucally FSU cultural related in her mannerisms or thinking.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:29:53 AM by Jumper »

Offline ML

« Reply #471 on: February 03, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
Right now, wifey is hauling in firewood to stack in garage for our wood burning furnace.
And I am doing the laundry.
Anything wrong with this ???

Point of fact . . . she loves dealing with firewood, and especially starting the fire, feeding the stove, etc.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #472 on: February 03, 2018, 01:19:29 PM »
No, nothing wrong with that.  Laundry is easier.  :)

I love ironing.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #473 on: February 03, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
And I am doing the laundry.
Anything wrong with this ???

I do not have confidence you can get the clothes clean enough. I washed the clothes one time and my wife complained I didn't use the right water temperature, the right detergent, the correct wash cycle and didn't get the spots out. Apparently washing clothes is a big deal and a sophisticated operation.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #474 on: February 03, 2018, 03:28:23 PM »

I do not have confidence you can get the clothes clean enough. I washed the clothes one time and my wife complained I didn't use the right water temperature, the right detergent, the correct wash cycle and didn't get the spots out. Apparently washing clothes is a big deal and a sophisticated operation.

Use 'pre wash' for any spots and stains.
We have only one detergent to put in washing machine.

And besides that, I taught wifey how to use washing machine anyway.

Ironing is another matter.  I don't like that.

Cooking also is not my thing.  I can make a huge mess in the kitchen and then proceed to overcook or undercook, splatter oil everywhere, burn some part of my body, get my clothes covered with oil, flour and most anything else.

Eating I can do pretty well.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541278
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701