It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 317195 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #525 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:14 AM »
Would you believe we need to be at USCIS office Monday to get Ochka finger printed for her Citizenship process.

And government shut down looming.

As I understand it, the processing of Green Cards, Citizenship, etc., is funded by the fees paid by applicants.

But still . . . will USCIS be part of the shut down ??

I suspect it will be impossible to get timely info on whether offices are actually closed or not.
One cannot call an office directly, and the central phone answering people are generally clueless about everything including . . . what year we are in and what day of the week it is.

Not a minor point for us, unlike many others who live in big cities, because we have a two hour drive each way.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:19:04 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #526 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:15 AM »
From what I've read only B1 business or similar visas that require interface with the Department of Labor will be affected by the shutdown, as far as USCIS is concerned (as you said, it is a fee-paid department and work under contract).

But I think staff reductions might be a possibility, and perhaps reduced office hours, but not a total shutdown.

Offline ML

« Reply #527 on: December 21, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »
If USCIS office is in a Federal Building, it will be shut down as building will be closed.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #528 on: December 21, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »
USCIS (DHS) will continue to work albeit without pay. Once the shutdown comes to pass, their 'pay' will be restored.

No chance to turn back for you ML. She will be fingerprinted....
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline flitabout62

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #529 on: December 21, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
Here's where I would expect :-\ USCIS to provide closing information.

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/uscis-office-closings

Offline GQBlues

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 12:54:40 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline ML

« Reply #531 on: December 21, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Thanks flitabout62 and GQ for the info.
I was planning to make a hotel reservation today for Sunday night so we could go to the big city early Sunday, have a nice meal, take in some entertainment and then go to Monday USCIS appointment.

But luckily, I remembered about the possible shut down, so decided to hold off on hotel reservation until Saturday or even Sunday morning.  Saw that the hotels giving big discounts because not many travelers to those hotels.

This will screw us up because a rescheduled appointment will come during Spring semester, so lost classroom time, perhaps exams to make up, etc.

Kind of not nice either that the order was signed 18 December, but just promulgated 21 December.

Offline ML

« Reply #532 on: December 21, 2018, 03:32:36 PM »
And speaking of wife's PhD classes, her first semester has ended.
She took 4 courses.
3 A+ and 1 A.
I gave her grief about the one 'plain' A.
She said that professor never gives + or - signs.
I told her that was no excuse and to do better in the Spring !!!

Offline ML

« Reply #533 on: January 02, 2019, 09:58:16 AM »
Four years married now just before Christmas day !!

Not as long as many here . . . but moving along.

A lot of 'tensions' in our life with university pressures, working to sell parcels of land, immigration and citizenship filings, property holdings in multiple countries, problems with international banking transactions, helping her relatives, some health issues for both of us, etc., etc., etc.

Offline ML

« Reply #534 on: January 06, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »
Ochka is busy making up all the 'required' foods for tonight's Christmas Eve and tomorrow's Christmas day.

Unfortunately, tomorrow is first day of classes for Spring semester at University.

In Ukraine, they are celebrating Christmas on both the traditional day and on Dec 25th.
Some move toward going to Dec 25th completely, as Ochka hears it.

Offline msmob

« Reply #535 on: January 06, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »

In Ukraine, they are celebrating Christmas on both the traditional day and on Dec 25th.
Some move toward going to Dec 25th completely, as Ochka hears it.

I expect this will be the case - as they will move closer to the Greek Orthodox calendars ... this may mean a 'catholic' Christmas on the 25th Dec and the Orthodox Easter ...

Offline ML

« Reply #536 on: January 06, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
I expect this will be the case - as they will move closer to the Greek Orthodox calendars ... this may mean a 'catholic' Christmas on the 25th Dec and the Orthodox Easter ...

You are misusing 'Catholic' just like many in FSU do.
You are leaving out Protestants.

I have tried to train Ochka to properly refer to 'Western Christians' rather than 'Catholics' when she wishes to differentiate dates, practices, etc. from Orthodox Christians.

Offline msmob

« Reply #537 on: January 06, 2019, 11:34:19 AM »
You are misusing 'Catholic' just like many in FSU do.
You are leaving out Protestants.

Hi ML- most defo not ))

on this side of the pond the use of the small 'c' in 'catholic' denotes all embracing...I'm guessing it means the same there? ! .....  If I meant to say 'Roman Catholic' it would have a capital 'C'...

I am Protestant ... !   

Church of Ireland / Scotland and England Churches say this format of the Apostle's Creed

"I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.
I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
he descended to the dead.
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.

Amen.

Offline ML

« Reply #538 on: January 07, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
Moby, OK I see where you are coming from.

However, in practice, probably 99% of persons who hear the word catholic will assume that Roman Catholic is meant.  Any thought that they might be thought of as Roman Catholic is very distasteful to many people.

So to avoid this situation, it is far better to refer to Western Christian when one wishes to distinguish from Orthodox Christian.

In further recognition of this desire for clarity, some Protestant churches avoid using the term (catholic) completely, to the extent among many Lutherans of reciting the Creed with the word "Christian" in place of "catholic". (Wikipedia)

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #539 on: January 07, 2019, 11:01:17 AM »
Ecclesia Catholica Alchoholika
A unique new fragrance by Chanel...

Offline msmob

« Reply #540 on: January 08, 2019, 05:45:49 AM »
Thanks for the response ML...  appreciated !

Offline ML

« Reply #541 on: January 09, 2019, 11:54:34 AM »
Went up to the 'big city' for Ochka's fingerprinting and picture taking for the citizenship process.

One and a half hours to two hours drive for us and appointment at 9AM, so we decided to drive up night before and stay at hotel.  Even being only 10 minutes away, still just made it on time for the 9AM appointment.  I am slow getting around, not her.

Ochka heard Ukrainian language, so asked me if she should go talk with  them.  I said yes.
This couple and their teenage son had won the Green Card lottery.
They were living in the big city, but took them two hours to get there via public transportation.
I wonder about how well these lottery winners can support themselves, but I think there is some sort of financial test they have to pass.

Ochka is always smiling and bubbly, but I detected that the other couple was sort of 'stand offish.'  Perhaps they are sensitive to various scams, etc., and are leery about trusting someone.

Each time we go to the USCIS office I get upset about the number of workers doing virtually nothing, yet the processing times are ridiculous.  Took about 18 months for spouse's 10 year green card and now projected another year or so for Citizenship process.

There were 3 security guards at the check-in scratching their asses.
The fingerprinting and photos done by one guy, and he had a supervisor in an adjacent office.  Each time we have been there (4 times) there were only 2 other people being serviced.
Over in the interview area, the workers were mostly gossiping while the clients waited patiently in their seats.

This processing is funded by the applicants, but we have no control over wasted time and the hiring/firing.

Offline Arti99

• Commercial Member
« Reply #542 on: January 14, 2019, 06:54:45 AM »
I expect this will be the case - as they will move closer to the Greek ukraine mariage Orthodox calendars ... this may mean a 'catholic' Christmas on the 25th Dec and the Orthodox Easter ...
Hello; i will reply in French :
"Pourquoi certains orthodoxes fêtent-ils Noël après les catholiques
La période de préparation aux fêtes de la Nativité ne s'appelle pas « Avent » mais « Carême de Noël », période de jeûne qui commence 40 jours avant la fête, du 28 (15) novembre, jour de la fête du l'apôtre Philippe (c'est pourquoi cette période est parfois appelée aussi « Carême de Philippe »), au 6 janvier (24 décembre). Les deux dimanches précédant Noël sont appelés respectivement « Dimanche des Ancêtres », consacré aux patriarches et prophètes de l'Ancien Testament, et « Dimanche des Pères », consacré aux parents du Christ selon la chair, tels qu'ils apparaissent dans les Généalogies du Seigneur.
Le 24 décembre (6 janvier), on célèbre les Vêpres de Noël puis une première Liturgie eucharistique au cours de laquelle on proclame l'Évangile de la Nativité. L'office de Minuit comporte les Grandes complies, les Matines, puis une seconde Liturgie eucharistique, avec le canon de saint Jean Chrysostome, lors de laquelle on proclame l'Évangile de la venue des Rois Mages. Le 8 janvier, appelé « Synaxe de la Mère de Dieu », on célèbre l'Eucharistie en l'honneur de la Vierge Marie. Douze jours plus tard, le 6 (19) janvier, les orientaux fêtent l'Épiphanie ou Théophanie, au cours de laquelle ils célèbrent le Baptême le Seigneur."
Let's hope, let's love
J'adore ce flair de site de rencontre franco russe

Offline msmob

« Reply #543 on: January 15, 2019, 12:49:33 AM »
Arti99

I do not appreciate you editing my post to include a spam advert for a marriage agency site ..

Desperate and pretty deceptive ...

I hope others will avoid such stunts ...

Mods :

Feel free to delete my post if you decide Arti99's response was spamming

Offline ML

« Reply #544 on: January 29, 2019, 05:10:12 PM »
Frequently there are visitors to various departments at universities who present their research progress and/or conclusions.  The math department is no exception.  Doctoral students are required to attend at least 5 of these presentations each semester.

Last Friday a presentation started at 3:00 PM.  The presenter asked how long he had.

The Math Dept Head said (with a smile):  These are all Math folks; they have nothing to do or any place to go on Friday afternoons . . . so you can talk as long as you want to.

When Ochka got home she told me of this, and then asked what I thought the response would be had she spoken up and said:  I do need to get home soon for pizza and sex!!

My kind of Gal !!

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #545 on: January 29, 2019, 05:18:49 PM »
So which takes precedence?

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline ML

« Reply #546 on: January 29, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
Well luckily the talk did not go on too long . . . so she was able to accomplish all required and desired tasks in a timely manner.

Offline DCcowboy

« Reply #547 on: January 29, 2019, 07:01:11 PM »
At least it is open until the 15th, good deal she was a able to get in,the military was never shut down.

:cluebat: edit: note to self read the thread before replying :cluebat:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 03:50:56 AM by DCcowboy »

Offline ML

« Reply #548 on: February 11, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »
You will be amazed and stunned by this woman's talent and creativity; at least I was.
First is her performance in AGT World Champion Contest in January 2019

Second is her winning performance for Ukrainian Got Talent Contest in 2009

This portrays the rape of Ukraine by Germany in WWII, which is now being continued by the rape of Ukraine starting in 2014 and continuing currently by Russian terrorist forces.

Offline msmob

« Reply #549 on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
I've raved and posted the works of Kseniya Simonova since she was pointed out to me in 2009 - before she went on to win Ukraine's got Talent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kseniya_Simonova#cite_note-:14-51

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1950
Total: 1959

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM