It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Retirement in Ukraine  (Read 32206 times)

Offline Donna_Pedro

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Retirement in Ukraine
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »

Is this truly what she wants? Call me cynical, but I have my doubts. Her children are still young, I expect that she would prefer that they finish their schooling in the United States

American passport is a different story of course, but schooling, actually, is better there. I mean, if we are talking about secondary education. And even universities are not that bad. And american income (even a modest retirement income) can buy an even better quality of the education. And in general, living in Ukraine on american income -isnt it what every ukrainian woman dreams of? Think about the girlfriends.. they will literally die of envy.
Kaplah!

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »

American passport is a different story of course, but schooling, actually, is better there. I mean, if we are talking about secondary education. And even universities are not that bad. And american income (even a modest retirement income) can buy an even better quality of the education. And in general, living in Ukraine on american income -isnt it what every ukrainian woman dreams of? Think about the girlfriends.. they will literally die of envy.

I am not really all that convinced that the schooling is better there. True, it is different, with more emphasis on rote memorization. However, different does not equal better. However, it is easier to be better than the United States given how badly the country generally ranks in global rankings of quality of education and how well students test in math, science, reading and writing. As for universities, the ones in the FSU rarely rank in the top 200 or even 500 in global rankings.

As for the question of the passport, don't you have to live a set amount of time in the USA to get citizenship? Would not the children have to be sponsored before a certain age to give them access to American citizenship? I don't know the answer to these questions, but I expect that they would have to live a certain amount of time in the USA and relatively quickly to do this.

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:46 AM »

I am not really all that convinced that the schooling is better there.

I am. I  brought my child here when he was 13. He is turning 24 next month and fixing to go to a law school next year (this is one part of american education that I am still not familiar with - grad schools). Anyway, in 10 years he has studied in middle- and (public)high schools in 4 states, in 1 community college, and in a university. Also he has experienced european education on several occasions as we were able to send him to study there for a while. So as you may see, I have a pretty good understanding of strengths and weaknesses of american system compared to russian. And if I could repeat my experience I would try to keep my child in a Russian school a while longer, because, to my opinion, my son has never had a proper challenge here, in the states.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:24:14 AM by Donna_Pedro »
Kaplah!

Offline Misha

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »

I am. I  brought my child here when he was 13. He is turning 24 next month and fixing to go to a law school next year (this is one part of american education that I am still not familiar with - grad schools). Anyway, in 10 years he has studied in middle- and (public)high schools in 4 states, in 1 community college, and in a university. Also he has experienced european education on several occasions as we were able to send him to study there for a while. So as you may see, I have a pretty good understanding of strengths and weaknesses of american system compared to russian. And if I could repeat my experience I would try to keep my child in a Russian school a while longer, because, to my opinion, my son has never had a proper challenge here, in the states.

Yet, according to the OECD PISA rankings Russia comes in 43rd: http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/12/46643496.pdf

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2011, 12:43:45 PM »
<tweet> (Blowing the whistle)

Time out.

The FSU teaches better study habits than the US. US has better colleges than the FSU.

Perfect marriage.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #80 on: December 12, 2011, 12:48:11 PM »
Ok, lets start throwing links at each other.  ;D  Here, National center for education statistics (see page 4, for example - math performance in the 8th grade, or page 5 - science performance)
http://nces.ed.gov/pubs99/1999081.pdf

Statistical data on these matters could be quite different depending on the method of approach. Anyway, my personal opinion, based on  my extensive personal experience, that secondary education in my country is far better than here.

Kaplah!

Offline Misha

« Reply #81 on: December 12, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
Statistical data on these matters could be quite different depending on the method of approach. Anyway, my personal opinion, based on  my extensive personal experience, that secondary education in my country is far better than here.

We will have to agree to disagree then. I would say that each system has their advantages and disadvantages (comparing Canada and Russia).

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #82 on: December 12, 2011, 01:35:44 PM »
Anyway, my personal opinion, based on  my extensive personal experience, that secondary education in my country is far better than here.

But does Misha have a valid point?  That many countries outside USA focus on standard questions with rote memorization.  This helps explain why oriental countries and some others score much higher on standardized exams.  The school systems there teach to the exams rather than a broader education which allows for creativity.

Not saying which is best for the long run and for economic development of a country . . . but there are pros and cons to be considered.

Another taboo aspect is that USA standardized scores are aggregates of very diverse groups living in USA, some cultures of which discourage excellence by the students.  This is not an issue in many other countries with homogenized populations that encourage excellence in the classroom.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #83 on: December 12, 2011, 02:32:08 PM »
But does Misha have a valid point? 

I am sure he does. Our approach is more academic. American is more "hands-on".  But in general things like "no child left behind" and a lot of political correctness at school greatly effect the quality of education, reducing demands. In their efforts to please  minorities,  they are making it less challenging for the rest of the children.  I remember when my son was in the 10th grade the school counselor refused to let him take math, english and two science classes in one semester, suggesting that he would take a pottery class instead, and only after my visit to school, she agreed to let him take all these "hard" classes, with my clear understanding that "if my son had bad grades I would not blame school for it". In Russia the school challenged my child with no help from me. Here I had to apply considerable efforts (and pay money) to have him properly challenged.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:45:21 PM by Donna_Pedro »
Kaplah!

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #84 on: December 12, 2011, 02:56:55 PM »

I am sure he does. Our approach is more academic. American is more "hands-on".  But in general things like "no child left behind" and a lot of political correctness at school greatly effect the quality of education, reducing demands. In their efforts to please  minorities,  they are making it less challenging for the rest of the children.  I remember when my son was in the 10th grade the school counselor refused to let him take math, english and two science classes in one semester, suggesting that he would take a pottery class instead, and only after my visit to school, she agreed to let him take all these "hard" classes, with my clear understanding that "if my son had bad grades I would not blame school for it". In Russia the school challenged my child with no help from me. Here I had to apply considerable efforts (and pay money) to have him properly challenged.

IMHO, all quite true. There has for the last 20 years been a systematic "dumbing down" of the public school system in the US. No Child Left Behind only compounded the problem. It is a different approach that has been failing miserably IMHO. Children should be allowed to fail and succeed without government involvement disguised as protecting the psyche.

There are alternatives and those being private schools. Most are expensive and worth it. The "free education" sounds great in theory but, you do get what you pay for.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #85 on: December 12, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »
You bet demographics have a huge impact in public schools...worst when you have the government meddling with the educational system. If you can't enroll your kids in private schools, then make sure they choose a public schools that have a large population of Asian kids, LOL. It isn't a coincidence the top schools in the country have just that.

http://education.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-high-schools
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Misha

« Reply #86 on: December 12, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »
Our approach is more academic. American is more "hands-on".

Again, the two systems are different. As you certainly know, after the 9th grade, students in Russia are given the option of continuing their education in vocational training schools where they can complete their grades 10 and 11. Thus, you filter out the less academically inclined students to the "hands-on" training.

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #87 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:57 PM »
Again, the two systems are different.

I am not argueing this point. Threy are different.

continuing their education in vocational training schools

I remember our school teacher used to scare us with that "option". "If you dont do good on your tests - she used to say - you will go to PTU(vocational traning school), with all those debils and morons, or worse - to the military".  :D
Here the approach is different. They dont push students to excel. They dont motivate them to get higher education. Of course if everybody is an engineer or a doctor, who will serve you food in restaurants? But from a college-minded mother's prospective, I want my child to be properly challenged at school. And Russian school, IMO, gives more in this regard.
Kaplah!

Offline Misha

« Reply #88 on: December 12, 2011, 04:24:21 PM »
Bright students do well everywhere as do motivated students with educated parents. The hard part is teaching the mediocre and getting them to excel or capturing the less-than-motivated students. I am not convinced Russia does any better than Canada in this regard.

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #89 on: December 12, 2011, 05:10:29 PM »
I am not convinced Russia does any better than Canada in this regard

I dont know about Canada, but I can say for US vs Russia. In Russia the program in each subject is the same for everybody. They dont care if you like math or not, you are taking it on the same level with everybody else. And if memory serves my 10th grade math was equivalent to american Calculus 2 (integration/differentiation etc). I was never super bright in math. I struggled big time. And I dont use math in my everyday life (at least not at that level), but I am glad I had it at school, as math develops your brain, increases abilities for logical thinking and in general widen your mental horizons.  Here my son had a choice - to keep taking math to a Cal2 level or stop at Algebra 1.  If it was not for his mother, brainwashing him daily on the importance of education, i dont know what  he would choose. I dont think that every teenager is mature enough on his own (without parental input)to pick Calculus 2 if he could pick Algebra1 and relax. American school leaves motivation to parents. Instead it provides politically correct brainwashing. I would prefer for them to motivate my child and leave brainwashing to me.
Kaplah!

Offline Misha

« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2011, 05:40:34 PM »
I dont know about Canada, but I can say for US vs Russia. In Russia the program in each subject is the same for everybody.

The difference is as follows: in Canada, students will study in the same high school but some students will take courses that will lead to university while others will take courses so they can get a high school diploma and then go off to do some vocational training or perhaps college. In Russia, the students who want to go to university will go to grade 10, the others won't. It is the same thing, just different means of streaming students. In my case, my parents did not have to motivate me as I wanted to go to university. There was no way that I would stay on the farm to shovel more manure  ;) Comparing the students who make it to university in Russia and those who make it to Canada, I can't really say that the former are automatically better than the latter...

Offline Eduard

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Family is where it's at!
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2011, 06:42:12 PM »
American school leaves motivation to parents. Instead it provides politically correct brainwashing. I would prefer for them to motivate my child and leave brainwashing to me.
  :clapping:
realrussianmatch.com

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1980
Total: 1990

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM