It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Anyone near Chicago?  (Read 11206 times)

Offline myrddin

• Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Anyone near Chicago?
« on: February 08, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »
I just placed the first pin in Chicago, hoody hoo!

When I tried to reply to the last topic about members in Chicagoland, the system suggested a new topic since it's 53 weeks old (and technically that one was for couples :P )

There must be more people from northern Illinois/southeastern Wisconsin/northwestern Indiana around here.  I'm not worried about current status.
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Anyone near Chicago?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
Central WI buried in snow hating winter here...
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline johnichka

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:06:53 PM »
I'm in Chicago - Northwestern Suburbs.. Cary..... That's Cary not Gary.....

Where are you located??

John

Offline divad

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »
I live in a suburb of Milwaukee. I lived in Tucson, AZ for 15 years... if we get much more snow (it is snowing at this moment), I may move back!

Offline timothe

• Self honesty is a very elusive thing.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 08:52:21 AM »
I'm in Chicago - Northwestern Suburbs.. Cary..... That's Cary not Gary.....

Where are you located??

John

Small world.  I grew up in Cary and my mom still lives there.  Most of my family lives in McHenry county and I visit there four or five times a year.  It is "home" to me.   

I am hoping to marry my Olechka in the Woodstock square later this year.  (It depends on when she gets her Visa.)

Offline myrddin

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:28:59 AM »
I knew there was representation here!

I'm in Schaumburg for the moment, where I grew up. I've also lived in Palatine (NW suburbs) and Lake Zurich (N suburb).  I've worked in Mundelein, Round Lake and now Deerfield (all N suburbs).  I also have friends in Cary (only ever confused with Gary in typos...).  Which NW suburb, John?

And about this winter, ugh!  Maybe the roads can be cleared after the glaciers recede....  I love Chicago, and I like changing seasons, but I lived a year in Clearwater Beach.  Weather's not the only thing I miss, but I went there thinking I could skip 2 or 3 winters before coming back.
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Offline johnichka

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:48:13 PM »
Timothe,
Nice to hear about your home time roots.  I love Cary and the small time roots with the quick access to the city of Chicago.  I am a local native and love Chicago.  Where does your Mom live?  I am over in Fox Trails down Cary Algonquin Road.  The Village has blossomed over the last 20 years, but it is still nice - good people, excellent schools, no crime, a great place for a family.   Do you plan on living around here once you get married with your girl??  As you know, Woodstock is only a short drive from Cary.  If you are in the area, and would like to chat, please email me.

John

Offline myrddin

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »
I have this crazy idea of meeting people from the boards in person someday, too.  I've been thinking about maybe even trying to organize some sort of gathering in the spring, the exact location determined by a relatively central point for anyone who would actually go.  Would anyone be interested?

Offline myrddin

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 06:11:53 PM »
Does anyone in the general Chicago vicinity know of a good, authentic Russian or even Ukrainian restaurant?  Search engines aren't revealing much useful, and anyway I place more value on personal recommendations.  I already realize it may not be close, so it make me part of a weekend trip somewhere.

Offline timothe

• Self honesty is a very elusive thing.
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »
There is a Ukrainian neighborhood on the near north side...figure Chicago Av and Halsted maybe.  (AJ would know for certain as we were scheduled to meet there a few years ago.)  There is a Lithuanian neighborhood around 77th and Central, maybe a little further east. 

Offline johnichka

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 12:24:00 PM »
You can try a few of these:
Sak's Ukrainian Village Restaurant - it's at the corner of Oakley Blvd and Chicago Avenue.

OLD L'VIV Restaurant - down the street from Sak's - Sak's is at 2301 West Chicago, OLD L'VIV is at 2228 W. Chicago

Reginas Restaurant

And for classis Russian food, try Zhivagor.....

Offline myrddin

Re: Restaurants near Chicago
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
Thanks, John  :)

Just out of curiosity, do you know of any good places in the suburbs

Offline myrddin

Re: Ah, Springtime snows in Chicago
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:53:58 AM »
Central WI buried in snow hating winter here...

Winter is over, Spring is here, and I'm sitting here waiting out another snow storm.  At least I'm not at work, but I've got things to do!

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Ah, Springtime snows in Chicago
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »
Winter is over, Spring is here, and I'm sitting here waiting out another snow storm.  At least I'm not at work, but I've got things to do!

We've got 4 or 5 inches already and it's still coming done pretty heavily. Man Do I Just LOOOOOOVE Spring!  :seething:
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline turniptruck

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 02:21:02 PM »
Russian Tea Time is a great place.  It's right by the Art institute.  http://www.russianteatime.com/    Probably the only place in the city with vodka flights o.O

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
I am out in Flossmoor, South Suburbs.

Russian Tea Time is very nice. On Adams near Michigan.

Also, White Nights on Higgins in Rosemont and Zhivago at 9925 Gross Point Rd. in
Skokie. Haven't been to Zhivago though

Offline dobradavid

• Alt Forum
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 06:22:11 PM »
I just placed the first pin in Chicago, hoody hoo!

When I tried to reply to the last topic about members in Chicagoland, the system suggested a new topic since it's 53 weeks old (and technically that one was for couples :P )

There must be more people from northern Illinois/southeastern Wisconsin/northwestern Indiana around here.  I'm not worried about current status.

There's lots of us around;
Try this:
http://www.frappr.com/russianbridelist

Offline dobradavid

• Alt Forum
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 06:24:39 PM »
Does anyone in the general Chicago vicinity know of a good, authentic Russian or even Ukrainian restaurant?  Search engines aren't revealing much useful, and anyway I place more value on personal recommendations.  I already realize it may not be close, so it make me part of a weekend trip somewhere.

The Ukrainian village has several restaurants. On the west and south side, the Warsaw Inn is nice & Sawa's Old Warsaw restaurant. All the Ukrainian churches amke and sell verinicki/peliminof Friday.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
With the large Ukrainian  and Russian community in Chicago, it's surprising so few replies.

As an update on restaurants, Saks in Ukrainian village has closed.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1870
Total: 1881

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM