It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukrainians Obtaining EU Passports  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Ukrainians Obtaining EU Passports
« on: July 08, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
...for few thousands euro person can get romanian/hungarian passport and, voila, Europe is opened.

I've heard this type of talk from one of the girls I have been messaging. How is this so Ola? Where would you go to get this done? I don't see how it could be possible to obtain a Romanian/Hungarian passport unless you had some legitimate claim to one. They are after all official documents so I don't see how it would be possible to obtain one by the back door if this is what you are saying.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2018, 02:20:30 PM »
On passports - Most Ukrainians in Bukovina were at one time a part of Romania.  Romania has decided it will grant citizenship to Ukrainians, and it is, indeed, fairly easy to obtain a Romanian passport.  With Hungary, the rationale is that much of Ukraine was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Again, fairly straightforward and simple to obtain citizenship. 

Both Hungarian and Romanian have regional language status in Ukraine.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Blighty

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »
I've heard this type of talk from one of the girls I have been messaging. How is this so Ola? Where would you go to get this done? I don't see how it could be possible to obtain a Romanian/Hungarian passport unless you had some legitimate claim to one. They are after all official documents so I don't see how it would be possible to obtain one by the back door if this is what you are saying.

Eastern European countries such as Poland, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria offer citizenship by Jus sanguinis (right of blood). Read the following article relating to Hungary ... http://www.kyivpost.com/world/washington-post-officials-says-passport-fraud-hungary-allowed-dozens-people-enter-us-false-identities.html . There are both genuine and illegal applications for these passports. Germany also offers nationality to the Volga Germans.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
Blighty, practically, there is no need to prove a blood for Hungarian or Romanian citizenship.  Part of it is that they hope those Ukrainians will fill their empty villages, I believe.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Blighty

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
Blighty, practically, there is no need to prove a blood for Hungarian or Romanian citizenship.  Part of it is that they hope those Ukrainians will fill their empty villages, I believe.
If you look closer at this issue then Romania requires parents/grandparents born under Romanian rule. This is how real and fake Moldovans get a Romanian/EU passport ... e.g., http://euobserver.com/justice/117551

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »

So you can get a Romanian/Hungarian passport just in the basis of being a Ukrainian citizen? Without having to prove any ancestral link to Romania or Hungary!!! That's really shocking. So any Ukrainian can get a Romanian or Hungarian passport if they so wish and have the money to do so? Thereby effectively getting EU citizenship then going to the UK as an EU citizen. I'm guessing a lot of people in Europe were unaware that this is happening I know I was until now.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »
Very, very few Ukrainians are doing this, so it's not a huge issue.

Ukrainians can work legally in Poland now, and have done so since just after the collapse of the USSR.  They can eventually gain Polish citizenship, if they wish.  Ukrainians are the largest group of foreigners in the Czech Republic.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 04:14:29 PM »
Very, very few Ukrainians are doing this, so it's not a huge issue.

Ukrainians can work legally in Poland now, and have done so since just after the collapse of the USSR.  They can eventually gain Polish citizenship, if they wish.  Ukrainians are the largest group of foreigners in the Czech Republic.

Either way, easier than obtaining a UK tourist visa ;)

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »
I wonder what happens to border migration from Ukraine to Poland, Hungary, etc after a Russian war to link Novo Russiya to Krim
would it make sense for Ukraine west of the Dnipro to be partitioned by these states and Russia takes the Eastern parts,
as part of some treaty
or form a new smaller Ukraine, with capital in Lvov
and reboot

Offline Bee Farmer

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2018, 07:27:03 PM »
On passports - Most Ukrainians in Bukovina were at one time a part of Romania.  Romania has decided it will grant citizenship to Ukrainians, and it is, indeed, fairly easy to obtain a Romanian passport.  With Hungary, the rationale is that much of Ukraine was once part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Again, fairly straightforward and simple to obtain citizenship. 

Both Hungarian and Romanian have regional language status in Ukraine.

What am I missing or overlooking?

It's virtually impossible for a Ukrainian to get a tourist visa to come to the US.  If you want a lady to spend time with you in the US to see your lifestyle, you have to bring her on a K1 visa.  And if you marry a lady, it can be a nightmare trying to get her family to be able to come visit.

If it's that easy to get a Hungarian passport/citizenship (a few thousand dollars) why aren't American men paying for the Ukrainian lady to get a Hungarian passport, which allows her to come to the US visa free for 90 days?  Or paying for family members to get a passport so they can visit?  Are the guys just too much of cheapskates to pay a few thousand for a lady to get Hungarian citizenship? Or unwilling to wait the extra time needed to obtain the Hungarian passport?  Or do most guys not know about this?

To me, a few thousand dollars seems like a really cheap hedge against a rushed marriage that ends badly.  (It will give the lady a better idea of what American culture and life with the man is like if she can visit first, without the pressure of immediate marriage.  And if all she is after is a green card, she won't need a man to be a mule if she can get visa free entry.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:42:43 PM by Bee Farmer »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2018, 08:42:42 PM »

It's virtually impossible for a Ukrainian to get a tourist visa to come to the US.  If you want a lady to spend time with you in the US to see your lifestyle, you have to bring her on a K1 visa.  And if you marry a lady, it can be a nightmare trying to get her family to be able to come visit.

If it's that easy to get a Hungarian passport/citizenship (a few thousand dollars) why aren't American men paying for the Ukrainian lady to get a Hungarian passport, which allows her to come to the US visa free for 90 days?  Or paying for family members to get a passport so they can visit?  Are the guys just too much of cheapskates to pay a few thousand for a lady to get Hungarian citizenship? Or unwilling to wait the extra time needed to obtain the Hungarian passport?  Or do most guys not know about this?

To me, a few thousand dollars seems like a really cheap hedge against a rushed marriage that ends badly.  (It will give the lady a better idea of what American culture and life with the man is like if she can visit first, without the pressure of immediate marriage.  And if all she is after is a green card, she won't need a man to be a mule if she can get visa free entry.)

Hungarians need to apply for visa waivers to the US. A Ukrainian living in Ukraine with a Hungarian passport would not meet the waiver requirement.

I have had no problems getting any relative into Canada from Ukraine. Slight issue in the mid 1990’s with MIL, due to corrupt locals controlling visa application access, but I called my MP and the “problem” disappeared.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 12:53:12 AM »

That's the exact same situation as in the UK also. While there are lengthy/costly/awkward workarounds a lot of the time they are not an easy choice. If this Hungarian or Romanian route indeed exists for all Ukrainians then for the UK as things stand at the moment (before Brexit) it gives as easy way into the UK since the UK must accept all EU citizens. So for the UK this route works. I think a lot of Brits don't know about it, I didn't as most of us assume as an EU nations contrives like Hungary & Romania would not have such an open door policy on immigration. I think if a lot of Brits knew about it they would not think it proper that this goes on. So I don't know why a lot of Ukrainian girls aren't taking this route to meet all the UK/European guys they wish to including Ola here.

Offline Olchik

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 09:09:35 AM »
About passports. In place where I live bunch of people are citizens of Romania/Bulgaria. Yeah-yeah, don't forget about Bulgaria. Ethnic bulgarians also have chance to get passport and move. You rarely will see family which doesn't have relatives abroad, especially in villages. Almost all my relatives aren't in Ukraine anymore and never will come back. For job and life we usually move to Italy, more rare Spain, Portugal and Greece and even more rare Germany/France. Poland....hmm...not as often as Southern Europe. Personally I don't know anyone who went to Northern Europe or UK. Also, I never saw girl from my place with western/northern european guy. Again, I say about my native city which is far away Odessa. None of my friends isn't interested in westerner.
 So, please, there are bunch of ways to move if person really wants it. Getting mail order and cry about no choices is last thing person can do. But yeah, if woman wants get everything in the easiest way without making paper work herself, hard work in new country and doesn't mind be with old dude, it's her choice. These women represent only small part of our society, but they are reason me and many my friends to be ashamed telling foreigner where from we are.

Offline myrddin

• Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »

It's virtually impossible for a Ukrainian to get a tourist visa to come to the US. 
  And if you marry a lady, it can be a nightmare trying to get her family to be able to come visit.

FWIW, as far as I know it is still incredibly difficult for a young UW to get a tourist visa to the US. 

However, since married, we had no particular difficulties getting US visas for family members (beyond annoying paperwork and known visa costs). 

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein

Offline John Gaunt

Re: Ukrainians Obtaining EU Passports
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
That's the exact same situation as in the UK also.
How so?
While there are lengthy/costly/awkward workarounds a lot of the time they are not an easy choice.
What are they? Can you explain what you mean by this statement?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2018, 05:13:38 AM »
How so?What are they? Can you explain what you mean by this statement?

In the UK it is almost impossible for a Ukrainian or Russian girl to get a visa unless she already has family present in the UK or can show 'proof of return  such as her child left with grandparents, owns property in home country or has a very well paying job. Even then she may be turned down. In the US it is a very similar situation. Perhaps way back it mag have been easier but not today.

The workarounds generally entail the girl obtaining EU citizenship either through ancestory or other means such as residency, etc. That way she does not need a tourist visa to visit the UK.

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2018, 05:48:28 AM »
In the UK it is almost impossible for a Ukrainian or Russian girl to get a visa unless she already has family present in the UK or can show 'proof of return  such as her child left with grandparents, owns property in home country or has a very well paying job. Even then she may be turned down. In the US it is a very similar situation. Perhaps way back it mag have been easier but not today.

The workarounds generally entail the girl obtaining EU citizenship either through ancestory or other means such as residency, etc. That way she does not need a tourist visa to visit the UK.
Have you ever tried to get a UK visa? If not, how do you know this?
Lots of people, UKR, Russians and others get visas to the UK everyday. It’s not impossible by any means.
The fact that some people might have difficulty establishing their bona fides doesn’t make it an impossibility in general terms.
Your thinking something doesn’t make it so.
As far as getting an EU passport, again, have you any evidence to back up your story that this is a ‘workaround’ to avoid having to get a visa?
I’m quite sure there are people who would be entitled to obtain citizenship of an EU country, and quite legitimately so. My wife is one of them. As far as I know, she didn’t go rushing out to get said citizenship as a free pass to the UK.
In any case, if someone, Ukrainian or otherwise, can prove entitlement to become an EU citizen, well, good luck to them, I say.
I might be entitled to apply for Romanian citizenship and I’m debating whether I should or not. I’m certainly not rushing to do so in order to secure some sort of benefit.
Trench, you just don’t know what you’re talking about. People will have good reason to get citizenship of many EU countries, but not to avoid getting UK visa. That is just your paranoia at play again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 06:57:31 AM by John Gaunt »

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2018, 06:24:28 AM »
my mother was born in the UK
this allows me to file for residency there
and it's really easy and inexpensive
I have been weighing this option
instead of living part time in the UK on a tourist visa
when I go into full retirement mode 5 yr from now
or possibly Europe
Spain along the coast is nice and prices reasonable
and I could get an investors visa
and bounce back and forth between there and the east coast of the USA
I like little cottage style houses with a small garden
walking distance to the beach
where I can feel the spray of the ocean waves
on both sides of the Atlantic

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2018, 07:46:15 AM »
Have you ever tried to get a UK visa? If not, how do you know this?
Lots of people, UKR, Russians and others get visas to the UK everyday. It’s not impossible by any means.
The fact that some people might have difficulty establishing their bona fides doesn’t make it an impossibility in general terms.
Your thinking something doesn’t make it so.
As far as getting an EU passport, again, have you any evidence to back up your story that this is a ‘workaround’ to avoid having to get a visa?
I’m quite sure there are people who would be entitled to obtain citizenship of an EU country, and quite legitimately so. My wife is one of them. As far as I know, she didn’t go rushing out to get said citizenship as a free pass to the UK.
In any case, if someone, Ukrainian or otherwise, can prove entitlement to become an EU citizen, well, good luck to them, I say.
I might be entitled to apply for Romanian citizenship and I’m debating whether I should or not. I’m certainly not rushing to do so in order to secure some sort of benefit.
Trench, you just don’t know what you’re talking about. People will have good reason to get citizenship of many EU countries, but not to avoid getting UK visa. That is just your paranoia at play again.

This is a link that another forum member posted to me and explains the problem that many face:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294473-i3662-k10096309-o40-British_visas_For_Ukrainian_citizens-Ukraine.html

Others have also told me that it is highly unlikely a young girl from a low paid job would get a visa, even Moby. I can see the logic behind why they would get refused. One Ukrainain girl online said I should have at least tried (though she did not know the other issues I faced with the girl). Perhaps I should have, its another £150 probably wasted but at least then it would be all said and done. Most Ukrainain women I message seem adament that a tourist visa is totally possible.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1876
Total: 1887

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM