It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Propaganda War  (Read 407900 times)

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Re: The Propaganda War
« Reply #1750 on: June 30, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »

CC3, he is not alone.

Read this a friend sent me.

The New York Times' Orwellian View of Ukraine

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31565-the-new-york-times-orwellian-view-of-ukraine

Utter trash from an extreme leftist!

Offline HoundDaddyLee

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1751 on: June 30, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »

The best part was calling The New York Times a paper supporting "neo-cons". That was funny!

HDL

Offline Muzh

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1752 on: June 30, 2015, 02:33:56 PM »

With all due respect, I'm a left-leaning person and I resent you labeling that ignorant moron as a leftist.  ;)

Now, if you want to call him a spineless Putler cocksucker, I'd have no qualms about it.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #1753 on: June 30, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
CC3, he is not alone.

Read this a friend sent me.

The New York Times' Orwellian View of Ukraine

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/31565-the-new-york-times-orwellian-view-of-ukraine

Utter trash from an extreme leftist  idiot!

Fixed that for you!  There are, of course, plenty of other terms by which this "reporter" (he's no journalist) could be described, but this is supposed to be a family-friendly forum!  :o

The further I got into that "article," the further my eyebrows went up.  It's going to take a while for them to return from the crown of my head.

Offline cc3

« Reply #1754 on: July 02, 2015, 01:39:27 AM »

With all due respect, I'm a left-leaning person and I resent you labeling that ignorant moron as a leftist.  ;)

Now, if you want to call him a spineless Putler cocksucker, I'd have no qualms about it.

OK  :)

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1755 on: July 02, 2015, 07:03:19 AM »
A good article on the reality of the Russian language in Ukraine.   This is why the view that the Russian language was ever in threat in Ukraine is ridiculous -

http://www.politico.eu/article/crisis-in-ukraine-talk-shows-in-language-war/
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #1756 on: July 02, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »
A good article on the reality of the Russian language in Ukraine.   This is why the view that the Russian language was ever in threat in Ukraine is ridiculous -

http://www.politico.eu/article/crisis-in-ukraine-talk-shows-in-language-war/

Very interesting but, once again, the troll army strikes in the Comments!  :cluebat:  There are only a handful which don't appear to have emanated from that wonderful building in St Petersburg - interesting that one is by from someone whose Russian-speaking family live in Zaporozhe, and another is from a Russian who actually seems to understand the FULL (if abbreviated) story of Russian history.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1757 on: July 03, 2015, 06:10:09 PM »
Jone:
However, there is a fringe element that is growing that is anti-American and very pro-Russian.  It is this very small segment that people should be worried about.

Jone, rarely do you and I disagree. However, the fringe has moved to the mainstream. Today you'll have to search for a Russian who has not gulped down much of the kool aid. The news, from TV to print to radio, is dominated by a constant beating of the war drums. it is incessant, 24-7. The average person on the street wonders when America/NATO will invade.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Larry1

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1758 on: July 03, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
Jone:
Jone, rarely do you and I disagree. However, the fringe has moved to the mainstream. Today you'll have to search for a Russian who has not gulped down much of the kool aid. The news, from TV to print to radio, is dominated by a constant beating of the war drums. it is incessant, 24-7. The average person on the street wonders when America/NATO will invade.

At university I studied European history, among other things. Germany had no really free elections after 1934. I assumed that a lot of Germans did not support Nazi actions; after all Germany was a civilized country. After seeing this crisis I have reconsidered my earlier opinion on Germans supporting Nazi actions. When we read Hitler's speeches we know that they are full of the most absurd propaganda.  But we know that only in hindsight.  Germans in those days didn't have the benefit of hindsight. I think most of them believed the Nazi propaganda, just as most Russians today seem to believe their government's propaganda.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
The Propaganda War
« Reply #1759 on: July 03, 2015, 06:56:13 PM »
I think most of them believed the Nazi propaganda, just as most Russians today
seem to believe their government's propaganda.

With Germany, maybe a majority believed in the propaganda but there were always a
sizable minority who were scared into silence.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline cc3

« Reply #1760 on: July 04, 2015, 04:21:45 AM »
Jone:

Mende, may I respectfully submit: Get out while the getting is good!

Offline jone

« Reply #1761 on: July 04, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »
I will be spending the bulk of the next three months in Russia.  In St. Petersburg and Ekaterinburg.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #1762 on: July 04, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
A beautiful history lesson. It covers the language issue, political history, GHW Bush's goal of keeping the Soviet Union together, and talks about why Putin wants Ukraine's new government to fail...
http://www.newsweek.com/why-putin-afraid-ukraine-332276

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1763 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline JayH

« Reply #1764 on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:10 PM »
A beautiful history lesson. It covers the language issue, political history, GHW Bush's goal of keeping the Soviet Union together, and talks about why Putin wants Ukraine's new government to fail...
http://www.newsweek.com/why-putin-afraid-ukraine-332276
Posted previously.

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=18356.msg403639#msg403639

It is worth reading and re-reading-- and re-reading!!
This is as good a series of examples of people that seems so typical when you talk with Ukrainians-- and the author explains it very well.Dealing with some personalised history should be compulsory reading for all forum members  to help understand more of Ukraine-- and how Ukrainians see Russia.
While I am at it-- teh oft promoted idea that it is only western Ukraine that holds many of the Ukrainian identity ideas-is also covered and effectively refuted(again) here!
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #1765 on: July 05, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »
posted previously? oops... my apologies.

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #1766 on: July 05, 2015, 09:50:26 AM »
Kravchuk:

“I was given the country when it was part of the Soviet Union and worked toward independence. My life would be in vain if they take this land and that is why there is no alternative but to fight,” he said.
Ukraine has been a “hostage” to Russia ever since independence, and has been “occupied” by the Russians, economically, investment wise and trade wise for a long time, he said. “They took away the best assets. They have occupied Ukraine step by step gradually then eventually at the top. It used to be they controlled only trade and the economy but then it became the political and military leadership.”
article:
http://www.kyivpost.com/opinion/op-ed/diane-francis-kravchuk-says-ukraine-still-fighting-western-ignorance-and-russian-aggression-392720.html
 Op-ed — by Diane Francis

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1767 on: July 06, 2015, 12:05:45 AM »
Jone:

So what is your view of Westerners who have the same views (i.e., America is the "Great Satan", ready to swallow up a vulnerable Russia, blah, blah, blah)?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1768 on: July 06, 2015, 12:49:43 AM »
Bo, I see that view mainly via contacts on Social media, like FB. I just responded to a casual friend yesterday who has bought heavily into that "America started Maidan" nonsensical bullcrap.

Usually these are folk who read the conspiracy theory websites and drink that version of the kool ade. They have a complete lack of understanding of regional issues, and sadly disregard the genuine wishes and aspirations of the Ukrainian people for self determination, defeating corruption, etc. Instead they swallow the Kremlin story line, without using their God given brains, and spout off about places they've never been and things that do no know.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline JayH

Origins Of A Kremlin Lie
« Reply #1769 on: July 18, 2015, 09:28:42 PM »
The change over the last year in how the world sees Russia has changed dramatically-- now the purpose and intent of Russian lies is much better evaluated and understood. Here again-more exposure of the ridiculous lies Putins Kremlin is pumping out.

The Madeleine Albright Declaration: Origins Of A Kremlin Lie

Anti-Americanism is the foundation of Kremlin policy, the central credo of which is the United States’ intent to destroy Russia as we know it. Russia asserts that, with this threat hanging over its head, Vladimir Putin has no choice but to create a mobilized society that represses opposition, places the economy on a quasi-war footing, and produces military power irrespective of cost. This is the only way Russia can defend itself.
The Kremlin uses a venerable explanation for American perfidy: The U.S. covets the natural wealth of Siberia and believes the world’s natural resources should be distributed more evenly under its supervision. How does the Kremlin know America’s evil intentions? It can look inside the mind of its No. 1 enemy.

The Protocols of the Elders of Zion forgery, which circulated in imperial Russia, blamed a world Zionist conspiracy for mounting troubles and unleashed pogroms. Putin’s regime has its equivalent—the Madeleine Albright Declaration. It was invented, it seems, a decade ago by an obscure Russian blogger, then certified by a national TV show, and finally confirmed by mind readers from the FSB (the successor organization to the KGB, the Federal Security Agency). As of late, Putin’s inner circle is using the Albright Declaration to stir up fear and loathing of America.

Russia’s steady propaganda has been effective. According to a recent Pew survey, only 15% of Russians view the U.S. favorably, down from 56% five years earlier. On the other hand, Russia’s favorability in the Western world stands at 25%, and only one in six think Putin will do what’s right. These dramatically contrasting worldviews demonstrate that we are now in a new Cold War, one that could outlast the current Russian regime.

Russian propaganda’s portrayal of the U.S.

Most Americans would be shocked to learn that their government is planning a sneak attack on Russia and is actively plotting a regime change against Putin. U.S. leaders are apparently also responsible for both the putsch against the legitimate government of Ukraine and the civil war in southeastern Ukraine. In fact, U.S. aggression is to blame for troubles in Iran, Syria, Libya, Iraq, Somalia, Yemen and any other countries of turmoil around the world.

According to the Russian state media and a supporting army of internet trolls, Russia is the sole force for peace in the world.

The 75% of Russians who get their news from state television are fed a daily diet of anti-Americanism. Broadcasts on Russia’s premier nightly news channel Vesti regularly features rising drug trafficking, gay marriage, inflation and unemployment in the U.S.; CIA forces and Blackwater mercenaries operating in eastern Ukraine; Russian convoys bringing humanitarian aid to starving separatist regions; wholesale shipments of Western arms to Ukraine; and Ukrainian shellings deliberately killing children.

Russian viewers turn to flashy TV personality Dmitry Kiselov for their red meat. In a typical broadcast, he lambastes the U.S. for breaking missile treaties, its plans to station nuclear missiles within easy striking distance of Russia, and its reckless dispatch of nuclear bombers to test Russian borders. Kiselov uses the silhouette of a man holding a gun to his head to warn that any American attack will turn the Western world to ashes. Tragedy could be avoided, but Barack Obama refuses to negotiate because he is such a weak leader, both at home and abroad.

The truth does not matter. The first hit is what sticks, no matter how false and bizarre (one example: the photo of a Ukrainian soldier munching on the severed arm of a Russian separatist). The Kremlin does not hesitate to risk its credibility with official press briefings demonstrating that the Malaysian airliner was shot down by a trailing Ukrainian fighter jet. A few months later, the story changed to a missile fired from Ukrainian-held territory.

The Madeleine Albright Declaration shares the anything-goes ethos of Russian propaganda, which believes that a repeated lie becomes truth.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/paulroderickgregory/2015/07/16/the-madeleine-albright-declaration-origins-of-a-kremlin-lie/
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #1770 on: August 03, 2015, 01:53:03 AM »
http://www.russia-direct.org/opinion/how-russias-soft-power-failed-shortly-after-it-started

Note: both RBTH and Russia-Direct answer to the Kremlin, thus making this article even more interesting. One wonders whether there are currents of opposition maybe stirring to life again?

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #1771 on: August 03, 2015, 04:50:43 AM »
http://www.russia-direct.org/opinion/how-russias-soft-power-failed-shortly-after-it-started

Note: both RBTH and Russia-Direct answer to the Kremlin, thus making this article even more interesting. One wonders whether there are currents of opposition maybe stirring to life again?

Sorry, mendy, but that link won't work - I am "not authorised to view that page."  :'(

Offline jone

« Reply #1772 on: August 03, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
I read a Pravda interview done recently with the Deputy Head of the State Duma.  Aside from the general entertainment value, the title of the article/interview was that Russia needs the Soviet Union to compete with the West.

In the article, the individual cites the fact that Russia is only 2% of the GDP of the world's economy.  His reasoning is that the West is attacking Russia and that is why the GDP is so low.  He fails to mention that 151 Billion Dollars was removed from the Russian economy last year because foreign entities pulled back their investments as a result of Russia's incursion into Ukraine.

Let me be more specific:  Russia loses investments over its desire to control Ukraine.  Then it claims because its economy is doing so poorly over lack of investments that the only way to salvage the situation is to gain control over more of its former vassal states.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/27-07-2015/131489-russia_west_standoff-0/

One wonders if Putin is deposed whether someone much worse might take his place.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:55:12 AM by jone »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #1773 on: August 03, 2015, 09:50:38 PM »
A refresher course for Russians.
This youtube video might be able to show Russians, who the Maidan protesters were, back in 2013. Will Russians watch it? It is not RT news.
http://youtu.be/-Oei0AoCn2A

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #1774 on: August 04, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »

The best part was calling The New York Times a paper supporting "neo-cons". That was funny!

HDL

I agree with this paragraph in the article

“Given Mr. Putin’s aggressive behavior, including pouring troops and weapons into Kaliningrad, a Russian city located between NATO members Lithuania and Poland, the allies have begun taking their own military steps. In recent months, NATO approved a rapid-reaction force in case an ally needs to be defended. It also pre-positioned some weapons in front-line countries, is rotating troops there and is conducting many more exercises. There are also plans to store battle tanks and other heavy weapons in several Baltic and Eastern European countries.

“If he is not careful, Mr. Putin may end up facing exactly what he has railed against — a NATO more firmly parked on Russia’s borders — not because the alliance wanted to go in that direction, but because Russian behavior left it little choice. That is neither in Russia’s interest, nor the West’s.”
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1969
Total: 1978

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM