It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ain't life grand, an evening in Kiev.  (Read 18168 times)

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Ain't life grand, an evening in Kiev.
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 04:54:26 AM »
Hello guys, I will continue with follow-ups and a few opinions

First I would like to give my honest opinion as to Kiev.  I do not think their is a more vibrant, more exciting city in the world today than Kiev. Not so expensive by comparison to other major cities. The traffic is not nearly as bad as many other major cities of the world and when you take all these factors, and many more into play, combined with the night life, ease to get around, living conditions, hundreds and hundreds of thousands of beautiful women, their is not a more fun city in the world to live in today. I have heard it said many times that today's Kiev is often compared to Paris of 1947-53.   

Kiev see's many foreigners daily. The economy is busting. We all keep saying the real estate market is going to bust. This was said in 1999, and in 2001, and 2002, 03, 04, 05, 06 and it is even said today, the real estate market is going to bust.  Yea, was I a dummy.  The flat I stay in two months a year in Kiev I could have bought at one time for $90,000. But the market is going to bust and I will have over paid and it will take years for the economy to recover?  This is what I thought in 2000. But more importantly than the price was the uncertainty involved with a foreign person buying property in Kiev or Ukraine. I had heard many stories of foreigners buying a flat only to have lost everything when it was discovered the person they bought the flat from was not the original owner but it was really some old lady who lived with her daughter. The Ukraine courts were not going to rule against little old lady, the foreigner lost everything. And their were many such stories.

Over the last few years things have gotten to the point where the procedure and laws for foreigners buying property here have improved to the point where it's almost like buying a condo in the states. We cannot own the land the flat is sitting on, but we can own the flat. In the next year or two foreigners will be allowed to buy farm land and we think the pricing for land will sky rocket when this happens.  And oh, the cost of my flat today, 60 square meters, if I wanted to buy, $350,000.

Kiev girls see a lot of foreigners and lot's of rich foreigners who are coming for a single, not so good purpose.  Many Kiev girls are getting a bit spoiled. Life is not bad here or in Odessa. Ladies are not wanting to leave just to leave but will leave if the carrot dangled in front of them is big enough.  Now before we go any further I have to say my statements, my opinions are in general. Most everything I say and do today is based on percentages.

Today in my opinion it is very hard for most of our guys to find the type Ukraine/Russian woman they are looking for in Kiev. No it's not impossible, there are many fine, wonderful women here who would make great wife's, but it's taking more work, more effort and to a degree luck. In other cities, such as Krivoy Rog, Zaporozhye, Lugansk, Kherson, Nikolaev, Poltava as examples where things are a little more economically depressed we have a much better chance of finding the type Ukraine/Russian woman we are looking for. Many of these ladies in these cities are looking to leave, are looking for a better life. Ladies in these cities do not see a constant stream of foreigners. The chances, the percentages, of our clients finding good women in these cities are much higher than in Kiev or Odessa.

It's probably got by some people but we don't have parties during our spring or fall trips anymore in Kiev or Odessa. Have not had such parties in Kiev for well over a year and a half. Their is a reason for that. Now we do have a party in Kiev in late December, this year on the 27th, where we have many fine single and beautiful ladies attend our once a year Kiev party.  But this time of year Kiev is one big party.  From our party on the 27th most guys will find their New Years Eve date as well as several ladies they can date, see, party with during the most party time of the year for Kiev, from about Dec. 27th through January 9th.  The city is one long, big, never ending party.  Now even after saying all this we had two clients who found there Ukraine bride, from Kiev, on our December 28th 2006 party. So as I was saying it's not impossible to find a good wife in Kiev, but it will take work and/or maybe a little luck.

The very best purpose that Kiev and Odessa serve for our guys today is that these are wonderful places for the ladies of highest interest they met on tour to meet them again for 2-3-4 days at the end of each tour. Most of our guys have some extra days left at the end of each trip for just this purpose. So after visiting two-three-four cities and if Lesya from Kharkov, or Marina from Lugansk you had the greatest interest in, and they in the you, we arrange for the ladies to spend a few days with the man in either Odessa or Kiev, and it's usually Kiev as this is where most the men will be departing from.

Now for myself I try to reserve two weeks at the end of every tour in Kiev. A week before each tour in Kiev and two weeks at the end. The last guy who was part of our Ukraine tour left on Saturday. I started my partying on Sunday. The Finnish guy who joined me the other night was a client in town, on an individual tour, not part of the group tour. The last two weeks of each Ukraine tour I kind of reserve for my free time. I can assure you that I cannot stay out until 5am in Kharkov, or Zaporozhye or Nikolaev when I have guys to attend to each day. But the last two weeks, 10 days, after my tour clients have gone, it's my time and I enjoy it and live for these times of the year.

This morning's early observation. Went to bed early last night, woke up early this morning and went out to see the city as it was awakening. At 6-7am the city is so quite, peaceful and beautiful. Kiev is the cleanest of all the big FSU cities I have ever visited. In the early hours of the morning the underground passages are watered down with hoses. It's strange to be walking here still at 8am and seeing puddles of water. A few days ago a lady of about 45-50 slipped and fell right in front of me. I helped her up as she dusted off her white dress. I don't think she was hurt, mostly embarrassed. She feel from one of these small puddle of waters that had not evaporated. In the states the lady could have sued the city for a million dollars. Here you slip on a puddle of water sprayed by the city, or you break an ankle due to the 8 inch hole in the middle of the sidewalk, well that's just to bad here, that's life.

I noticed this morning a couple of really fine, fine ladies buying flowers in one of the underground places that sell flowers. As I was looking at this one fine blonde I wanted to tell her I would be happy to buy those flowers for her. But I was just curious as to why I was seeing these fine ladies buying flowers and I realized that maybe one of their girlfriends might be having a birthday today or something like that. 

Several days ago I went to one of these places and bought 7 red roses for a lady I was meeting for dinner, price 27.5 grivnas.  A few days ago went to the same place but different lady, again asked for 7 red roses, price was 40 grivnas. Sure the lady pocketed the extra money. I am a foreigner and how would I know any different. I was in a hurry and didn't feel like going to another place so paid her price.

Used to be a few years ago I could stand in front of the main metro station next to MacDonald's on Khershaytk and see thousands of beautiful ladies pouring out the main doors in the morning. Now it seems an almost equal number of women are coming out of the metro station located under Independence Square and so I do not have the same great number of beauties to photograph from the one main source, now it appears equally divided between the two.

Something else I noticed was the number of beauties coming from the metros and going to work in the morning were a much smaller percent of the short mini-skirts I see as compared to the ladies coming out of the metro after about 11am. The percentage of ladies coming to the center wearing the short mini-skirts is higher in the early afternoon as compared to the early morning work crowd. Just makes common sense I agree but this is not the case in what I was seeing 3-4-5 years ago as there were many ladies leaving the main metro subway at 8:45-9:30 wearing the short mini-skirts. But things have changed.  Also I notice this spring, unlike anytime in the past, more and more ladies are wearing the short-shorts, not skirts but short-shorts. Got a few of those shots yesterday afternoon.

The city government here has gotten a little greedy with many of the vendors and food providers. Outside places that were here in the fall, and last spring, our not here today. One good example many of you can relate to is the MacDonald's at Independence Square. You recall how you have always seen chairs, tables and umbrellas out front? Not today. No chairs, no tables, no umbrellas in front of MacDonald's at Independence Square. Why?  The city wanted more money for Mac to occupy this space.  The large green Tent place you could buy beer, food last spring and fall just in front of the Globe on Independence Square? Not there this year, why, the city raised it's price so much the owners said forget it. And their are several other places like this in the center that are not here today.

Someone asked earlier about the name of a couple of nice night clubs with not so many, if any, working girls.  I did not mention the name of the club I went to the other night where I saw the nice blonde smiling at me because I did not want to give an impression this club was bad.  I do not think this club is bad and I think all clubs can and may have a few working girls. But the percentages could be like less than 5%, some real small figure. I will mention the name of this club because I do think it is a nice night club and the one working girl that was noticed should not be a factor when considering nice night clubs.  The name of this club was the Caribbean Club.  Some nights I do not like the music here but other nights, usually on the weekends, it's got the strong Euro beat and type dancing.  And like another of the posters wrote, in America I NEVER go dancing. Once you have seen and been exposed to clubs in Ukraine or Russia, when you see and are exposed to the ladies who are in these clubs and their exciteness to dance with you, what we have in the states is absolutely no comparison. Not even close.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 10:02:28 AM by Admin »

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 05:18:49 AM »
It amazes me how RWD members can read a few words and jump to conclusions, frequently the wrong conclusion.

I suppose people see the term "bars", "working girls", etc. and assume that everything that happens there is sleazy. 

Yes,  Jack and Elena ended the evening by walking to his apartment (Mir's witty comment that Jack's stories end where Pike's begin).  However, if you read Jack's posts and have the power of recall, you will realize that Jack did not pickup Elena at the bar.  She is from Kherson, the two of them have evidently corresponded/communicated before, this correspondence prompted some level of mutual interest,  Elena comes to Kiev for some undisclosed reason, they wish to meet, this club is a convenient meeting place for the time they intend to meet, they meet, and they like each other.   I forgot to mention the part when Jack gets involved in an Alpha Male fracas that assuredly elevated his hormones.

What is wrong with that?  Nothing in my opinion.  I prefer to meet a woman earlier in the day, and at a place where conversation is easier and the air is free of smoke.

Offline Mir

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 05:36:54 AM »
Gator

I certainly never said that Jack was meeting working girls.

Jack

You have made me nostalgic for Kiev. I second you thoughts that it is one of the best cities for a vacation. I have not been there for one year, so this summer time for a visit again :)

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 06:09:55 AM »
Jack

You have made me nostalgic for Kiev. I second you thoughts that it is one of the best cities for a vacation. I have not been there for one year, so this summer time for a visit again :)

Ah the good old days Mir.......with plenty of lovelies around you... ;)

Now you make me jealous after listening to Chivo and gone to Russia......I might follow you up in Kiev during summer......LOL

PS: What happened in Shochi? No travel report?

Offline START2

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »
Geez Jack, do you always have this effect on born again virgins and bi-polar gold diggers?

Offline Mir

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 09:39:33 AM »
Start 2

Please clarify what you mean?

Offline Mir

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

Offline viking

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2007, 06:09:18 PM »
Jack

I have been to Saint Pete several times and really enjoyed that city. But after being in Kiev, there really is no comparison.( except maybe the Hermitage)  My last trip was only maybe 10 weeks ago but it seems like ages. I remember quite well some of the places you mentioned, but not the clubs. O'Brians was a nice place for a beer. What I find very different was that I went to meet Lena and for some reason we never made it to the clubs. We were very content to just walk around the city, do a little shopping, sit in a cafe and have a small drink or something to eat. I guess we enjoyed each others company so much it did not really matter that we were not whooping it up in some night club. For some reason, I did not seem to miss this action. And I do love to dance! Since she had not been there since she was a little girl and I had never been there before, and we had no need to 'try and find a date', we were asleep by 12-1 and up early like around 8-9AM, and spent the days exploring much of the culture in Kiev, which is quite extensive.

I enjoy reading your posts about all the night time activity and there is much partying going on in Kiev, but to take such a long trip and 'not stop to smell the roses' on what else this fine city has to offer would be  shame. I know you have made several trips there before and perhaps you have already made the rounds in this regard, but what about the guys who were with you?  Would like to hear if they did anything more than drink and dance. ( and no, I do not mean after they left the clubs with the ladies  ;D ) Or is this off topic?
Tom Hanks in Castaway: You never know what the tide may bring in.
Viking: But you still need to walk along the beach to find it.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2007, 01:35:24 AM »
Hello Viking,

Like you I also enjoy St. Pete considerably. Without any doubt it is my favorite Russian city and up until about 4 years ago was my favorite FSU city.

I have never made a trip to St. Pete without visiting the Hermitage and do not think I could ever visit St. Pete without a visit to the Hermitage. I think I have been to the Hermitage now some 9 or 10 times and guess what, I have yet to see everything. It's so massive. And to think we can get within a foot of touch a Rembrandt, a Da Vinci. I think it is probably the second greatest museum in the world.

With regards to the culture side of Kiev. During my early visits in 1998, 1999, 2000 I visited all the sites (and still do occasionally today), Sophia, the Larva, the museum of old homes that covers hectors of land south of the city, the war museum, St. Andreski, etc, etc. And where my flat is located I am less than a 10 minute walk to Andreski street, the oldest street in Kiev. It gives me chills walking down this street, looking at the cobble stones that were placed there by hand maybe as long as a thousand years ago. In fact I will be walking this exact street in 20 minutes from now as I love shopping here on Saturday mornings. Maybe I'll have some fresh photos for you to see when you wake up.

Most all of the guys who come to Kiev on our trips also visit these places. This is where these guys go during the day, most the time with dates. Several of these men will bring in ladies from other cities that they meet on the trip and I would say that about 65-70% of these guys will take these women to various night clubs at night when they are in town. And why?  Because these ladies want this. The Kiev night life is famous through out Ukraine.  I am sure many of the men would rather spend a quite evening at home, and that usually happens one night, but when the woman you brought in from Dnepropetovsk, or Kherson, or Lugansk wants to go to disco or night clubs, you best do what she wants.

Photo of Independence Square last night. Yea I know not so much light but it's almost 9pm.

Offline wxman

« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2007, 03:23:50 AM »
Anyone tried this?

http://www.life.com.ua/index.php?area=mylife&lng=en&page=3-57

** The first 100 minutes of international calls are billed at UAH 1.00/minute. After the 100 minutes have been used or 30-day period has expired (whichever occurs earlier), all further international calls will be billed according to the current rates of the “Planet life:)” service. 100 minutes and the period of 30 days are calculated from the 1st day of the service activation.

Lot of small print. The first 100 minutes are at the introductory rate, or for 30 days, whichever occurs first. After that it's back to the normal rates.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2007, 04:04:38 AM »
Mir, excuse me but what in the ...k does this 100 minutes of international calls have to do with this thread?    :offtopic:

Here are some photos I took on the way to St. Andresky street a few hours ago.

I am at the top of the street (Zhitmerskaya) from my flat, a two minute walk from where this photo is taken.  My flat is halfway down the street on the left hand side.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2007, 04:06:34 AM »
Here is my flat. The balcony in the center of photo with window open.  You can see the dome at Independence Square down the street. Khershatyk is three minute walk. Viking you had mentioned O'Brian's early.  As I look out my kitchen widow (it's open as well) and look to my right I can see O'Brian's across the street on the corner.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2007, 04:08:27 AM »
At the top of my street where I took the first photo, two minute walk from my flat,  if I look to my right this is what I see.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2007, 04:12:11 AM »
And if I look to my left, St. Michaels.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2007, 04:14:11 AM »
As I cross the street I know I am getting close to St. Andresky when I begin to see all the paintings for sale on the side walk.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2007, 04:17:25 AM »
Here is one of my favorite painters.  I have probably bought over 100 paintings from this artist over the last 5-6 years. Finally a couple of years ago he began to give me a discounted price when he told me I had bought more of his paintings then anyone else. 

His paintings are all of Ukraine landmarks and countryside and have been my Christmas gifts to family and friends over this same 5-6 year time frame.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2007, 04:19:17 AM »
I know I am getting close to St. Andresky when I begin to see these little stands.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2007, 04:21:03 AM »
 And there she is, St. Andresky.

Offline wxman

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2007, 04:23:48 AM »
Great pics! I've probably walked past your flat a few times. What is the name of the street where there is a small museum to a famous writer. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the writer, but the flat he lived in, is now a museum to him. It's on a cobblestone street.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2007, 04:30:13 AM »
wxman I really couldn't tell you what street or writer you are referring to. I know on my building and the building down from mine, and many buildings all around, you will see a little plaque built into the side of the building honoring some famous person who lived in that building during his life.

When the TV production crew is filming us I will stay at a much nicer and bigger flat across the street from Mandolin Plaza, I call this the Golda Mier building as this was the building where Golda Mier was raised as a child.

A look down St. Andresky street.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:33:50 AM by Jack »

Offline wxman

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2007, 04:33:01 AM »
Jack,

The author's flat is on that street, just off to the right! The author was also a doctor and delved in science and had a room in his flat had secret rooms and his windows are tinted blue.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:37:20 AM by wxman »

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2007, 04:38:10 AM »
wxman do you recall seeing a plaque to this author on the building?

Like I said my building and the building next to me, towards Independence Square, have such plaque's built into the building. Might be sometype small museum in that building.

This antique wind up record player was actually playing an old record when I walked by it.

Offline wxman

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2007, 04:39:56 AM »
Yes, there was a plaque on the building and they give tours every hour, and serve tea at end of tour.

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2007, 04:44:30 AM »

wxman do you recall if this building was towards the bottom of the street, closer to Independence Square, or was it more towards the top of the street, towards St. Sopia and St. Michales?

I am in the middle of the street and on the right hand side. I often spend hours watching people walk by and talking to them and have never seen such a tour.  I suspect it must be towards to top of the street.

Look at these cobblestones that make up part of the original  Andreski street.  These very stones could have been hand placed 1000 years ago.

Ok, now heading to Khershatyk where maybe I can find something interesting  ;)  to photograph.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:46:44 AM by Jack »

Offline wxman

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2007, 04:49:26 AM »
Yes, it's toward the top of the street further back in your picture. I will have to ask my gal the name of author. It's her favorite author. Gone through the tour twice now.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541279
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701