It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Airfares to Kyiv  (Read 7222 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Airfares to Kyiv
« on: August 11, 2005, 05:27:42 PM »
Living in Denver, the options for airlines are relatively limited. United is the primary carrier, but I really dislike them. I far prefer Delta, but with limited options from Denver, they often do not offer desirable connections.

Anyway, today I checked airfares from Denver to Kyiv. I first checked on United (lowest coach fare was almost $2000 for September travel) - then went to Delta and found a fare of about $1200. Then checked Travelocity, which usually finds some pretty good fares through either LOT Polish or Czech Airlines. Prices through Travelocity bottomed at about $800 - not bad.

Finally, I went over to Air France's website - and what a surprise. I found they have a VERY nice website - and more importantly, found a R/T airfare Denver to Kyiv for less than $500! That is an outstanding price. To get that fare it was necessary to travel only on certain days - a day or two made quite a difference in the fare.

Here is Air France's website, for anyone wishing to check for themselves:
http://www.airfrance.us/

I also found that Boryspil airport has updated their website and it is extremely informative. It even allows you to arrange for the VIP service, if desired. Here is their website:
http://www.airport-borispol.kiev.ua/

One of the interesting things I noticed about the timetable of incoming flights is the HUGE number of internal Ukrainian flights that were cancelled today. For anyone planning to use internal flights for travel within Ukraine, be advised that flights are often cancelled - sometimes for the simple reason of not having a sufficient number of travelers.

Enjoy,

- Dan

Offline wxman

Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 07:38:01 PM »
I wish I would have seen that site sooner as I would have saved $400 from Minneapolis to Kiev. Instead I am on KLM airlines, which is a good carrier but a little high priced. I have heard people still having a hard time with some European airlines not allowing people on with no visa to Kiev. Is Air France confused about the no visa decree for Americans?

I also noticed all those cancelled flights too. Seems that the flight from Kiev to Lugansk where my fiance lives rarely gets cancelled. Every time I have been there, the flights are full both ways no matter what time of year, and they actually add a flight on occasion.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 07:41:00 PM by wxman »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 01:28:43 AM »
I just thought it might be good to add that it is just not Kiev that is a bargain.   I plugged in RT to Moscow and came up with a fare that was under $ 600.00.   Unfortunately I don't need a round trip ticket to moscow at the minute.   I am hoping I will soon need one the other way.  (from Moscow).   I will add the site only let you put in flights orginating in the USA.   There was no option for a Moscow or Kiev starting point.

They also have fares to London, Paris and much more starting at $ 200.00

Offline Admin

• Administrator
Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 03:47:58 AM »
Quote from: wxman
I wish I would have seen that site sooner as I would have saved $400 from Minneapolis to Kiev. Instead I am on KLM airlines, which is a good carrier but a little high priced. I have heard people still having a hard time with some European airlines not allowing people on with no visato Kiev. Is Air France confused about the no visa decree for Americans?

I also noticed all those cancelled flights too. Seems that the flight from Kiev to Lugansk where my fiance lives rarely gets cancelled. Every time I have been there, the flights are full both ways no matter what time of year, and they actually add a flight on occasion.

Air France is partnered with Delta for flights originating from the US, so it is Delta who will make the determination of visa requirements. Fortunately, Delta has a website where they tell you what visa is required - here:
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/international_travel_information/visa_passport_information/index.jsp

Here is Delta's interpretation of the visa requirement:
National U.S.A. (US)            /Destination UKRAINE (UA)

UKRAINE (UA)

Passport required.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 90 days within a six month period.

All passengers must, on arrival, fill out the Immigration Card.

Card must be presented together with passport when entering and leaving the country. Visitors are recommended to hold return ticket.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in fines of between USD 700.- and USD 800.- for carrier and deportation by same airline on first available flight.

You can see why the airline will rigorously enforce the visa requirements. That fine is substantial.

Looks like Delta will NOT demand you have a visa.

- Dan

Offline wxman

Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 08:00:07 AM »
NWA/KLM say the same thing:

/ 12AUG05 / 1755 UTC

National U.S.A. (US)            /Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
Destination UKRAINE (UA)       

UKRAINE (UA)

Passport required.

Visa not required for a max. stay of 90 days within a six month
period.

All passengers must, on arrival, fill out the Immigration Card.

Card must be presented together with passport when entering and
leaving the country.
Visitors are recommended to hold return ticket.

Non-compliance with entry regulations will result in fines of

between USD 700.- and USD 800.- for carrier and deportation by

same airline on first available flight.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Albert

Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 03:29:02 PM »
Dan, sorry but you were snookered by the Airfrance website.

Read down the finer print and you will see that the $500 or so price is ONE way based on a required round trip purchase.

The Frenchies are as bad as us when it comes to misleading the buyers!!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 03:48:57 PM »
Quote from: albert
Dan, sorry but you were snookered by the Airfrance website.

Read down the finer print and you will see that the $500 or so price is ONE way based on a required round trip purchase.

The Frenchies are as bad as us when it comes to misleading the buyers!!

Damn! You are right.

Oh well - back to LOT Polish and their $800 fare.

- Dan

Offline anono

Airfares to Kyiv
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 08:12:06 PM »
i just booked but have not paid for a STL to new york on delta and new york to kiev on aerosvit for the middle of september for $1010.00.  this was from gotorussia.com ask for barbara barros.

i've done the united, i've done the lot, i've done something else but i forget ;-), while the aerosvit/delta thing is not the best in the world, it is the most efficient for me. the transatlantic flight with aerosvit is usually is a average airplane without many perks if any. last flight the flight attendant buzzer was going all the time, pushed by someone too fat for their seat, and by more than one.it was unreal. i think we also had the record for the number of screaming, crying babies. it did not help that i was seated next to the toilets and could smell the disinfectant for the entire flight. yep, now that i think about it, it was a night mare but i fly it because it is 2 flights to get there instead of three.

is there a better place to look for a lower fare for the same flights?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701