It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Ukraine TR  (Read 13024 times)

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Ukraine TR
« on: December 18, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
Hi, I started this all several months ago. I have a friend who, has been been involved and like many.
He showed me what was there and I started searching. I have never signed up for a dating site.
I joined mamba and put a profile there. I did do a fair amount of reading here, but never signed up until Last week. So I  searched Mamba and talked to many, but final narrowed it down to 3 and started making plans for a trip.Hind site what it is, I likely should have joined here first.I talked to all three a fair bit, but like most things the one I talked to the least, was the one I liked the most. I have an old laptop and also should have invested in new one with camera for skype. I did not skype with any of them. I only talked to one on the phone as, she could speak some English. 2 girls were in Kiev. one in Chernivtsi, all in Ukraine.
The one I liked the least I was meeting first. The one I liked the most, I was suppose to meet second. The one who could speak English and talked with and had most emails, I was meeting last. I am sure many here will blast  me and hind site what it is, should have joined and asked some questions. All and all things worked out ok. Reason for this trip report more than anything is to share some things that I did wrong and also to maybe help or warn any from the Chernivtsi crew, as I call it. As it gets closer to time to go, the girl in Chernvitsi really ramps up emails, and mamba conversations, although difficult as she does not speak much english.

I get to Kiev with out much fan fare, not problems, I get some money exchanged and off to apartment I had booked. Next day I am to meet girl one Svetlana. Beautiful girl, quite smart, very good job and a little english.
We meet for dinner, she brings friend to translate for us and all went very good. We spent the day together and she was very nice. but all things being equal there was not real connection. When I got back to apartment that Night Girl two had left me few messages and I found I was quite excited. I decided to write girl one.
and tell her, It was not going to work. she understood, I think she felt the same.

Tomorrow girl Two, this is where it gets real interesting:)

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
Re: Ukraine TR
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 05:47:04 PM »
Welcome and waiting to hear more about your adventure. Don't worry about the peanut gallery, everyone's and expert and will gladly tell you all about what you did wrong, but hey, you went, kudos to you :clapping:

Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »
So now Girl two, this is where things get Interesting! As I said things with were slow in the beginning, but I feel a connection, something about this girl, not even the prettiest, but something about her. We never skyped,
 ( again I realize the mistake) Never talked on phone, I tried  calling her couple times,  but didn't work.
So now in Kiev and talking a lot, I realize I can't fly to her city, not sure how I would get there. So I ask her.
She tells me she can arrange a driver to pick me up and bring to Chernivtsi. I was not totally comfortable with this as originally she was not going to be with him. I am thinking to get in car with guy, I did not arrange to travel 600 km did not appeal to me. So she agreed ed to come with him along with a translator.
I am thinking seems like a bit much but hey OK! $ 250 for driver, not sure about translator as I never did get price for that. seemed ok. Then I also I said I would pay Anna's expense's for trip. At the time did not blink when she said would cost her 150.00 to come also. So from here our conversations heat up going very good.
Remember I have never seen this girl skype or talked to her on phone. but hey I got a thing for, stupid is an amazing thing in full stride. So they want money up front for part of this, hmmmmm everything I read every where I look says DON"T DO IT!!!!! but, I think well long way for three to come for some one they have not met. So she sends me details. Western Union. Ok now keep in mind I know 3 words in Russian and have never in my life used western Union. so Off I go Sat. morning looking for this, First bank, no one I mean no one speaks two words of english. So Off I go again second Bank 20 minutes later I  finally realize, after much time, there computers are not working they can't do! Ok 3rd bank yup can do, give me a form to fill out,,,, yup its in Russian all to busy to help me 30 minutes later out i go extremely frustrated. forth bank closed now's its 2 and I am fed up. SO back I go to apartment. She is working late very late, So I write detail letter explaining what happen. next morning 5 am I get my computer going beep beep, its Anna.   I tell her what happened. she's says I think no problem. SO later that day we talk and I try and call with help at local restaurant. her phone does not work. SO I go back to apartment and we talk again on Mamba. remember I am using online translator, so not sure I think we sort all things out. she has talked to drive, I give them address in apartment number and all. they will pick me up around 11am monday. I have to be out at12 and landlord is good but wants me out on time. I think no problem if there a little late small cafe, I can wait and watch. Anna Has given me Impression she is friends with translator and the driver talked about his experience and much travel as he was coach of national Ukraine bicycle team. So finally sunday ends, me thinking monday will be busy, but i will be wit this girl all day on ride to her city, with translator so chance to know her a little. She has 3 days off and has to work but if all goes well, I can stay longer. Her friends, driver and translator arrange apartment in her city $100 a night. What I paid in Kiev so though normal( I know I know) I get up monday, get cleaned up, packed and up I go. have late breakfast at cafe and sit down to wait. I wait , I wait 12 comes, 1 comes, now I am starting to worry. Again help with cafe staff, I call her phone, does not work. Now here I am now body here, me know place to stay. So I call guy who owns apartment., yup no problem, back he comes and meets me, pay him the money and now back in apartment. I am worried and pissed, all at the same time. So I log on, message from a different email Anna's name but from Elena, urgent I call her. Well this was 3 hours ago.
I thought all solved, well nope!!!!! they are not coming with out deposit, I thought all sorted out. Anna is online, asking where I was, so explained. after that an hour of stupids and I mean stupid messages.
up to this point I though a little strange this whole thing, but hey I am in different country, different stuff happens. So Anna and I talk she is going to arrange something else, etc. etc. etc. so Now I am pissed and curious, so being a little behind in the computer world, I start to Google, ( ya  I know little late) First her city and apartments. 50 60 gets you real nice place, now my mind switch in to over drive. I start thinking, she wants 150 for round trip and I am paying driver. thats one hell of expensive breakfast!! So I keep searching.
Diver Igor, translator Elena or ( helen) not good, found a few storys with this name ( not sure its them but really whats the odds) So I start to google Anna last name, nothing, email address and few other things, wow so wicked hot photos!!!! Of the girl who wants quiet life don't drink or smoke, wants more kids and to be full time mother. lets just say photos, tell different story. We had a very heated conversation after this. I feel like I was being set up! Who knows they never got me, driver seemed reasonable to me, but apartment costs, Anna's cost. well then she goes on to say they are not friends it is busy with them, so mixed signals. Then Elena writes me an e-mail from Anna's email ( strange to me at best) trying to defend what Anna is saying, it gets stranger as it goes. I have a couple of days and this continues for a couple of days. trying to explain and at one point trying to blame me.

I really think I was lucky to never go there!!!!! I think I got off easy with hurt feelings and some time lost.
I can't prove if they are or are not scammers, more I read after being home, my guess is yet. I don't know all there last names, but I do know Anna's, I won't post here but if you ever here of anyone going to see Anna in Chernivtsi, send me message I will give you last name. I also still have every email and Mamba messages.
Agian I think I got off lucky, I can't prove they were scammers, but again I would bet on it and I think what I have learned sense, if anyone read it all would agree.

I think lesson learned and I got off cheap.

Next girl three:))

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:30:19 AM »
vingallo:
It is not unusual to have trouble making arrangements on your first trip.  If this was your first visit to Ukraine, it would have been best to make arrangements well in advance for her to travel to Kyiv.  Unfortunately, she was probably not impressed with your management of the travel decisions.  So I see no reason to infer a scam yet.  It is not unexpected for her to not want to risk her own expenses for a last minute hurried meeting. Chernivtsi looks like an interesting city to visit.  Maybe you can make it there on your next visit.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:46:18 AM by JohnDearGreen »

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »
Asking three times the going rate for an apartment is usually NOT a good sign....I think you got off cheaply considering what could have happened. I am glad that you don't sound defensive and are learning very quickly))))
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else :)

Offline ghost of moon goddess

• Empty cans make the most noise :)
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
Vingallo, feels and smells like scams, be cautious!  :o
If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:57:53 PM »
I agree with the others. Why did she require 150.00 to come to you? Too many red flags and the good lord was definitely watching over you this time. Atrain ticket usually doesn't cost that much, even a sleeper. I suggest you educate yourself on costs and prices of things in Ukraine before making anymore plans like the last one.  :popcorn:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 04:42:25 PM »
I think it was to. But because I did not go, or she did not come. I will never know for sure.
But there were several conversations after that lead me to believe they were working together.
Also 10 or 12 emails being sent from a email address in the girls name. but they conflicted very much.
After the trip and I got home, I read all the Mamba messages and emails, and many things don't Add up.
Also she portrait herself as good girl, does not drink, only works and takes car of the daughter.
Well photos I found suggested quite the opposite, some with to say under dressed would be understatement.
some picks with a lot of boose bottles and underwear shots etc. Actually some looked like stripper pictures.
I am not saying they are or were. Also not here to judge anyone. Just we had many conversations and what she told me did not match with what I found and few things said at the end. So for me a good thing I never went I think! As for that, All I am suggesting if any one ever here's of someone going to visit with girl named Anna from Chernvitsi, might be worth sending me a message to make sure its not the same one, or at-least I can tell them what i know. I would also send someone that involved copy's of conversation and some of the pic's. I think I got lucky, and if I can save someone some grief or help, then its a good thing.
Yes I need to learn more and learned a lot on this trip i did wrong, But I enjoyed the trip very much.
I am now here, so If I have questions, I can ask. Also i have been reading more.

Girl three was much better tale :) I will tell that story next.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 05:18:58 PM »
vingallo

You've got a gut feeling and you should probably take heed of it. Whatever it is.  :D

Looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. FWIW

Offline Kuna

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »
I'm surprised no one has asked you to post the "stripper pics" up here so they can give you their opinion.   :ROFL:

Honestly though...  when I read your message last night I thought straight away it was very likely to be a scam.

If a lady is looking after you she will find you a flat that is cheaper (or better for the same price) than you will be able to find for yourself.

I also found it strange for her to suggest $150 for her costs to come and meet you.

From memory I think you said you offered it.  Try not to make such offers in future.  I know it's hard but try to make "Dating in FSU" as much like dating at home as you can.  If you open your wallet too wide you're sure that someone is going to have their hand in there.

If a lady is coming from another city the main cost is the travel (i.e. train)...  it's probably a better idea to reimburse expenses when she comes to meet you rather than sending money to someone you don't know via Western Union.

Looking forward to the next installment and hearing about Girl #3.

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 05:01:46 PM »
So with girl two kinda done, one small problem, girl # 3 Tanya is not expecting me for another 4 days....
Actually all things considered, having a day or two is not a bad thing, so next day I sleep in :)
I wake up go to local cafe for breakfast and start to think, what shall I do, so I go for a huge walk, good thing I took a photo of street sign and where I was at, I needed a cab back and he did not speak any English.
Actually not bad advice, take pictures of where your staying etc. if you ever need help, can always delete later:)
So I enjoyed the sites, did a little shopping, I think it was called the Caravan mall. quite different than home.
 after a couple of days rest, i had let Tanya know I would be early and she has to work but agreed to meet me early. So on third day, I head for address of cafe we are meeting at, she is waiting outside for me, ahhhh to say pictures don't do her justest is and understatement, She gives me a hug a kiss on the cheek and a huge smile, she is About 5'8" long flowing blond hair, 115 lbs the bluest eyes I have ever seen,, good thing I had the door handle to hold on to, my knees were weak. so we go inside, i have to try and get my mind working again, we find a good spot it is about 6:30 pm and she has just worked about 10 hours and she is saying sorry for looking a little ragged,, good thing this is ragged, because I would be in trouble if she looked any better:) I remember enough manners to take her coat and pull out her chair. oh I also brought a brought a lovely bouquet of red roses, which she seemed to quite enjoy. I am surprised her English is quite good, we will not need a translator. We talk for a few minutes and order some wine, then something to eat. She does not have a lot of time as this was not planned really and she has to be home early for her son. We talked about many things we had written on Mamba to each other it was very relaxed and I think there is a connection.
It was time to go and I found a cab, insisted on taking her home. this driver spoke a few words of English.
I get her to the apartment building and she gives me another kiss and a big hug. we will meet again tomorrow night for supper. So I think all  is going well. I was back to my apartment a very happy man. It was only 9:30 when I got home, so I go on Mamba and she had sent me a message telling me she was very happy with our meeting and surprised, that I looked much better than my pictures.
So I think all is good.

To be continued

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 09:56:59 PM »
But because I did not go, or she did not come.

To get up to speed; you should know that the FSU folk call it 'finish.'

And a great joke.  The man asked the woman . . .  you finish?
She said no; so he kept up the pace.
Asks second time; you finish?
Again she says no.
Finally the exhausted man says . . . you must be finish.

She says no . . .  I am Swedish.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
About the second, the one you never saw :Her friends, driver and translator arrange apartment in her city $100 a night". The scam is here, at least. Even in Kiev you should'nt pay such price, only if you have luxurious preferences. They would have probably done a 120 % margin profit.
For the 150$ fee travel it's more difficult to appreciate. But even if she lives at 20 km of the city it's a round trip taxi of 400 grv, so it's like a 100 $ round trip train but she had to take taxi from the train station (normally a 100 grv maximum for the round trip taxi if it drops you not so far, in mean in central dowdown, so 85 $ for the roundtrip tren, i don't know the real price ).
Good to jump in a plane, and no big mistake for thirs first travel.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »
The driver was paid for fee $250.00

She told me her costs to come were $150 at fist I thought nothing of it.
But later I thought, She will be leaving in the morning and I will be with her after that for any meals etc.
So 150 seemed not right. She did not have to pay drive. I would have paid him 250 for round trip.

Offline JR

• Hey, what do I know?
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 09:51:56 AM »
Sounds like you and Two are getting along well...)

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »
So 150 seemed not right.
Her view and yours might differ.  She sounds more like a hedger than a scammer.  As the talks head further south, she has to hedge her risky bet on you to cover her expenses and the $$$ go up.  By the time you get down to discussing the sleeping bag and cattle car, you might be thinking $12.50, but by then she would probably be thinking more like $1250.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:01:38 AM by JohnDearGreen »

Offline alex330

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Her view and yours might differ.  She sounds more like a hedger than a scammer.  As the talks head further south, she has to hedge her bet on you to cover her expenses

My thoughts as well. Money to cover her hotel or own apartment should things not work out.

No way to know if she was a scammer at this point but many guys can ruin a great meeting by being overly cautious or paranoid.
Sometimes there are missunderstandings due to the language barrier. I recall my fiance wanted me to take her parents out on a "yacht" for our first meeting. To my relief the yacht turned out to be a 25 foot sailboat.  :)

In any case you did the right thing if you had any doubts or the situation did not feel good.

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »
So Tanya and I meet after work at a different restaurant close to her work again, she sent  3 texts during the day to see how I was. When we met she told me she was concerned I was alone all day and was asking if I had enough to eat and if I got around ok. ( gotta love this ) she works 10 hours and is concerned for my welfare, as I sleep and roam around all day:) She tells me this is nicer restaurant and better prices. We eat and go for short walk. She does have to be home at decent hour because of her son. But tomorrow is the day she had planned to meet me and has things arranged so she can spend the day with me. After our walk, I take her home and she is going to pick me up at my apartment in the morning:)

I can't get  this girl out of my head. I go back to apartment and again she has sent me a message on mamba, worried if I got back ok! She is smart, beautiful and a good person. ( I can't help thinking there is a catch)
We talk a little and, I go to bed early almost like Christmas as a kid, so I can get to tomorrow:))))

Offline Steamer

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 10:06:54 PM »
Go, Go, Go...
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline Kuna

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 01:19:19 AM »
All sounds good to me...

Looks like you've found a girl who likes you - and it seems like you like her very much too.  So the mutual interest is established...  now's the time to focus on her and undercover the true compatibility you'll need to make a relationship last.

Enjoy - you're on the right track!

Offline XMan

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
JohnDearGreen,
I have walked many of those streets in Chernivtsi (Chernovtsy, depending upon who is spelling it).  Fun seeing it again.  Now I feel strangely homesick, so I have definitely spent too much time there!  Very nice city, reasonable size (about 230,000).  Nice people, for the most part.  Great restaurants and cafes.  Nice farmer's market as well.  Apartments can be had in the $70 range (decent ones), fairly close to city center.  Taxi's are cheap, but the many cobblestone roads will jar your teeth loose in those cab rides. 
Thanks for posting the video.

Offline Daveman

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »

I can't get  this girl out of my head. I go back to apartment and again she has sent me a message on mamba, worried if I got back ok! She is smart, beautiful and a good person. ( I can't help thinking there is a catch)
We talk a little and, I go to bed early almost like Christmas as a kid, so I can get to tomorrow:))))

So? what happened to you?  what was the catch?  She was secretly working for the alien abduction brigade?  She ate a fly?  You finally (actually) slept with her only to find she snores from the wrong end? 

Great report.. would like to hear how it turned out...
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline vingallo

• Opted-Out
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 04:54:39 PM »
Sorry, I will get on it, with Holidays and work, been kinda busy:)

Offline Phil757

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »
Might be a dumb question but what is mamba?

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »
what is mamba?
Either a deadly poisonous snake ::)...

...or an FSU dating site (http://mamba.ru/) ;D

Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884