It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)  (Read 304815 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: 2019 - nCoV (novel coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China)
« Reply #1950 on: November 11, 2020, 04:11:59 PM »
Maxx is 4 hours ahead!

Read the time of his post and your knee-jerk response.

Was that it, re any valid counter? )

I did not examine the substance of what either of you had to say.   Ask me, "Why not?" 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 04:46:19 PM by AnonMod »

Offline msmob

« Reply #1951 on: November 11, 2020, 11:50:49 PM »
Read the time of his post and your knee-jerk response.

..done...it sems it may be you that has committed the sin..

Then you compound the error..

I did not examine the substance of what either of you had to say.   Ask me, "Why not?"

Yup, you truly miss ANY irony in your contribution..

In the meantime, poor Maxx has to be indoors by 10pm for the foreseeable future, due to the spike in GE cases.

Offline Gator

« Reply #1952 on: November 12, 2020, 09:01:07 AM »
..done...it sems it may be you that has committed the sin..

I jokingly made fun of a two-hour  gap for your knee-jerk reaction.   You overlooked the "knee-jerk" aspect and dwelled on four hours. 

Two hours, four hours, eight hours...it makes no difference to my accusation that you seem to stalk Maxx. 

Nevertheless, it was two hours as shown below:   

Quote from: Maxx2 on November 10, 2020, 10:51:47 PM

Quote from: msmob on Yesterday at 12:56:09 AM

Reported times are for my time zone. Your reported times should differ, but not the two-hour gap.

Then you compound the error..

Yup, you truly miss ANY irony in your contribution..

I miss a lot with you, but not with others.  Why?

Moby, why do exchanges with you deteriorate?

Offline msmob

« Reply #1953 on: November 13, 2020, 09:25:22 AM »
Gator

It is sad to have to explain this, again.

1/ Maxx starts his day 4 hours ahead of me...so I tend to be the responder

2/ You seem to have decided to ignore commenting on what I posted in response to his suggestion of content... the point being Alex Jones got well and truly busted.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1954 on: November 13, 2020, 06:08:31 PM »

Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine may help our immune system beat COVID for a year. Hopefully they'll eventually find something that will work for us forever.
[/size][/color]
[/size]http://nypost.com/2020/11/13/man-behind-covid-19-vaccine-says-it-will-bash-the-virus-over-head/[/color]
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1955 on: November 14, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »

Another California politician with a do as I say, not as I do policy. While he governor is telling people to avoid get togethers and suggest people cancelling Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers, he goes to birthday parties. Blame it on Trump?

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/nov/13/california-governor-went-to-party-violated-own-vir/
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #1956 on: November 14, 2020, 05:59:32 PM »

Another California politician with a do as I say, not as I do policy. While he governor is telling people to avoid get togethers and suggest people cancelling Thanksgiving and Christmas get togethers, he goes to birthday parties. Blame it on Trump?

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/nov/13/california-governor-went-to-party-violated-own-vir/
Major foul up by newsome on this one.  He no longer has very much credibility to demand others follow the rules he is advocating.  I'm pretty surprised he had the audacity to violate his own rules, especially since he knows the rules aren't being well received by many.  Trump can't be blamed for this one. 

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1957 on: November 15, 2020, 05:50:44 PM »

This morning my governor shut down indoor dining, the gym, and bars. A few hours later I went to the store to get some milk. Long lines and they were sold out of toilet paper, tissues, napkins and paper towels. I've been buying tp by the case. Got 40 rolls in the house. Should last me two weeks.  :D

Offline msmob

« Reply #1958 on: November 16, 2020, 04:26:46 AM »
British PM self isolating after being in contact with colleague who has tested positive..

But it is 'OK'...he is 'bursting with antibodies'...

BBC News - Covid 19: Boris Johnson feeling 'great' as self-isolation begins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54956076

Offline Gator

« Reply #1959 on: November 16, 2020, 06:53:32 AM »
SECOND VACCINE WITH EXCELLENT PHASE 3 RESULTS

Today Moderna released interim results for Phase 3 trials of its vaccine.

94.5%  Effective

The Phase 3 trials experienced 95 cases of COVID, 90 in the placebo group, 5 in the dosed group.  11 cases were severe. 

The Moderna vaccine uses the mRNA platform, same as Pfizer/BioNTech.  As with Pfizer, trials were based on two doses, 4 weeks apart.  Unlike Pfizer, the Moderna has two advantages in its distribution and use: 

1.  It can be stored at normal household freezer temps for 6 months, 30 days at refrigerator temp. 

2.  When administered it does not need to be diluted (saving time at the doctor's office).

When approved by the FDA, Moderna will deliver 20 million doses immediately, and 80 million more in 1Q2021.  Moderna said it could manufacture 500M-1B doses for the world in 2021.  Moderna is a smaller company such as BioNTech, and has been researching various new drugs for 10 years.   The US company has no commercial products (no income).  Thus, it decided to be is a full participant in the US Warp Speed program, who funded the order for the first 100 million doses mentioned above. 

More good news, the initial results also suggest that those who had been immunized and became infected do not shed viruses   (i. e., they do not transmit the disease to non-immunized persons). 

Truly great news.  COVID-19 will soon be in the rear-view mirror. 

Offline Gator

« Reply #1960 on: November 16, 2020, 07:01:16 AM »
The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines both use the messenger RNA platform.   The to have independently demonstrated proof of concept.  The two interim success stories are widely received by the investment community for many applications other than COVID. 

There are other COVID vaccines in the pipeline.  However, they use different platforms (viral vectors  or protein-based). 

Will they be as effective?   Will they be easier to produce and distribute on a mass basis?  Are their any differences in the  safety of the  different platforms?   

Offline msmob

« Reply #1961 on: November 16, 2020, 09:13:48 AM »
  Will they be easier to produce and distribute on a mass basis? 

Us commoners need to wait  a few days, each time, as a LOT of BS seems to accompany a success story ..like " Needs to be stored at minus 70C  (minus 94F)

The UK govt hasn't even had the Moderna variant on it's pre-order radar ! ( now in 'advanced talks'...)

Offline Gator

« Reply #1962 on: November 16, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »

Us commoners need to wait  a few days, each time, as a LOT of BS seems to accompany a success story ..like " Needs to be stored at minus 70C  (minus 94F)

You are describing the extreme cold storage required for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.  Moderna's vaccine can be stored for 6 months at -20oC (household freezer), or 30 days at +2oC (normal fridge), or 8 hours at room temperature.  These ranges much easier to implement in mass immunization. 

The developers of vaccines focused on efficacy and safety, nor production, distribution and administration.  The latter three aspects will be optimized over the next year or two.  To have focused on those aspects would have slowed the approval of a vaccine.   We could have oral doses eventually.   

The UK govt hasn't even had the Moderna variant on it's pre-order radar ! ( now in 'advanced talks'...)

I imagine UK focused more on its homegrown Oxford/AstraZeneca candidate.  There are many candidates, albeit using platforms different form Moderna and Pfizer.   News will be forthcoming over the next couple of months, with availability not later than the 2Q2021 if efficacy is proven.         

UK can always purchase vaccine from Russia.  Krimster said he was on the list to receive it. 

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1963 on: November 16, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »
SECOND VACCINE WITH EXCELLENT PHASE 3 RESULTS

Truly great news.  COVID-19 will soon be in the rear-view mirror.

All these vaccines may subdue the virus spread worldwide but I doubt if it will sort it out quickly. The UK government is looking at a piecemeal approach of immunising the elderly first but unless pretty much all are immunised within a weeks to months then it probably won't solve the problem. Then on top of that it's how governments around the world also respond in immunising their citizens. If the vaccines only last a few months and not everyone is vaccinated at a similar time then we could be back to square one within a short space of time.

Moving to an almost totally non contact economy and much reduced contact society might be the only way if they can't sort it 100 percent with a vaccine.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

« Reply #1964 on: November 16, 2020, 05:56:54 PM »
All these vaccines may subdue the virus spread worldwide but I doubt if it will sort it out quickly. The UK government is looking at a piecemeal approach of immunising the elderly first but unless pretty much all are immunised within a weeks to months then it probably won't solve the problem. Then on top of that it's how governments around the world also respond in immunising their citizens. If the vaccines only last a few months and not everyone is vaccinated at a similar time then we could be back to square one within a short space of time.

Moving to an almost totally non contact economy and much reduced contact society might be the only way if they can't sort it 100 percent with a vaccine.

Have some faith in medical science.  Vaccines work, especially those with over 90% efficacy. 

An annual booster may be needed.  So?!  Do you not take an annual  flu vaccine that is only 40-60% effective? 

Besides a pipeline of vaccines,  medical science is developing a fleet of therapeutics to treat those who become infected.  If you are unlucky and become infected, your prospects are much better than just a few months ago. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1965 on: November 16, 2020, 07:25:45 PM »

Have some faith in medical science.  Vaccines work, especially those with over 90% efficacy. 

This article says the efficacy claims by Pfizer and Moderna was done by press release, not a scientific article. Great news for stockholders though. Article also says efficacy with vaccines are usually lower in the real world compared to what we see in trials.

http://www.statnews.com/2020/11/16/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-is-strongly-effective-early-look-at-data-show/

Offline Gator

« Reply #1966 on: November 16, 2020, 08:05:36 PM »

This article says the efficacy claims by Pfizer and Moderna was done by press release, not a scientific article. Great news for stockholders though.

Yes, interim results from Phase 3  trials.  Final results forthcoming when the companies apply to FDA for Emergency Use Authorization. 

No guarantee yet of approval, yet it would take a surprise development. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #1967 on: November 16, 2020, 08:46:36 PM »
You are describing the extreme cold storage required for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.  Moderna's vaccine can be stored for 6 months at -20oC (household freezer), or 30 days at +2oC (normal fridge), or 8 hours at room temperature.  These ranges much easier to implement in mass immunization. 

You just proved my point about the BS re storage temps.. ((

http://www.newscientist.com/article/2259821-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-may-not-need-to-be-kept-at-70c-after-all/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 08:55:26 PM by msmob »

Offline Rosco

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #1968 on: November 17, 2020, 03:05:49 AM »

An annual booster may be needed.  So?!  Do you not take an annual  flu vaccine that is only 40-60% effective? 

Besides a pipeline of vaccines,  medical science is developing a fleet of therapeutics to treat those who become infected.  If you are unlucky and become infected, your prospects are much better than just a few months ago.

I agree with this.

If the weakest and most vulnerable get the vaccine first, it might not prevent all infection but it should prevent our hospitals from becoming overrun. This has been the whole point of locking ourselves at home and cancelling our lives.

Those who do get infected will receive better treatment as we learn more and have a better chance of survival than ever. The overall picture would be much more positive and life could get back to some kind of normal.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1969 on: November 17, 2020, 03:29:45 AM »
The problem is..

Even if all vaccines offer protection..

At what point can infection spread prevention measures cease?

Cannot see that for a year or more in richer nations who will get the vaccines, first.

Which std re 'I have been vaccinated' will be internationally recognised?

Sadly, normal is a way off, yet (

Offline BC

« Reply #1970 on: November 17, 2020, 03:39:12 AM »
You just proved my point about the BS re storage temps.. ((

That's a rather limited article Moby.  I don't think Pfizer/BioNTech would have specified those storage temperatures without reason.  I am sure they are well aware that it makes distribution more difficult.  I did see that it could be kept in normal freezers for 10 days or so and a few hours at ambient temperatures.  When you consider the massive amounts needed worldwide, you're talking longer storage periods than even Moderna states down the road so maybe they will also go for lower temperatures for the initial distribution chain. Better safe than sorry I reckon.

8 billion people on the planet, two doses each that is probably best distributed and injected at the beginning of the flu season based on our experience so far.. That's a lot of storage for long periods.  It could well be a factor Pfizer considered in their planning.

Offline BC

« Reply #1971 on: November 17, 2020, 03:45:20 AM »
The problem is..

I would guess one should maintain protective measures like masks etc until the world gets vaccinated.  Maybe quicker if vaccination is required before booking a flight/traveling.  I'm tipping towards the end of next year if all goes well, at least two years before not having to worry about covid at all.

Quite a few privacy concerns involved as well since your vaccination number would be another bit of personal identification.  Likely will have to be encrypted in some manner and you can bet some governments will want a backdoor 'key'.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1972 on: November 17, 2020, 03:46:15 AM »
BC,

Which one of us chats twice daily to someone organising logistics for vaccine distribution?

BS was their words..

I was shown a professional report re mRNA vaccine storage.

Offline BC

« Reply #1973 on: November 17, 2020, 05:09:52 AM »
Moby,

hearsay remains hearsay.  I don't profess to be an expert in this stuff, but I usually can draw some logical conclusions.

So what would be the reason for the Pfizer storage requirement from your POV?  To sell ultra low temp freezers as well? Or did I misunderstand something?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #1974 on: November 17, 2020, 05:19:13 AM »

This article says the efficacy claims by Pfizer and Moderna was done by press release, not a scientific article. Great news for stockholders though. Article also says efficacy with vaccines are usually lower in the real world compared to what we see in trials.

http://www.statnews.com/2020/11/16/modernas-covid-19-vaccine-is-strongly-effective-early-look-at-data-show/

I'm a little dubious on that front too. I've not read a lot on the trials as I don't have time but from what I hear they give a load of people the vaccine and see how many might later catch the virus. However, many of those might have not caught the virus anyway. I just can't help but think it might not be quite the good news day we are all led to believe it is, one way or another.

Thinking that at the end of the day the drug companies will know that anything sounding like a vaccine with a seemingly high level of protection that many governments will pay a lot of money for. How it turns out may be another matter.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 05:27:45 AM by Trenchcoat »
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1862
Total: 1873

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM